Awoo.

Sonic Lost World: First Cut Scene Now Online

Victoes

No.

...Then I don't see the point you're trying to make here. Bitterness about the whole Colors vs Unleashed thing doesn't really belong here.

...Then I don't see the point you're trying to make here. Bitterness about the whole Colors vs Unleashed thing doesn't really belong here.

I think I already made my point anyways, so I stopped at that final "No."

Just watched the English cutscene. It was pretty good. I'm never a big fan of Tails being useless, but it was hardly noteworthy, and his dialogue was funny. Roger's acting seemed weak to me, though. Really hoping we get a German dub again.

Edited by MarcelloF

I'm not sure how any arguments about the story people were making inherently change now that we know the scenario planners are also the writers. They're still all beholden to what Sega wants to present, so in the end the only thing that's changed is who we blame in case the story turns out bad. Granted, my hopes for the story shot up regardless upon hearing they've been given more reign. Is this the first time ever that westerners have had this much control over the story?

I'm not sure how any arguments about the story people were making inherently change now that we know the scenario planners are also the writers. They're still all beholden to what Sega wants to present, so in the end the only thing that's changed is who we blame in case the story turns out bad. Granted, my hopes for the story shot up regardless upon hearing they've been given more reign. Is this the first time ever that westerners have had this much control over the story?

Before the scenarios were written by Sonic Team and already planned out far before the writers were on board in the first place. So the dialogue had to be written to suit whatever scenario was written. This time however, both are being developed in tandem because the scenario writers are also handling the dialogue meaning they have a lot more freedom to do what they want, which was pointed out in the article.

Basically the argument doesn't exactly change, we just have a better understanding on why the past two stories were so bad; both the dialogue writers and scenario writers hardly worked together to make something coherent. Now that Ken & Warren are doing both, we can probably hope that the story will be a little better put together this time around.

Is this the first time ever that westerners have had this much control over the story?

[joke about the DiC cartoons/Archie comics]

In retrospect this actually makes sense, first they let the new English writers write the script first and then translate it into other languages, then after two games they decide to (it seems) hand over the scenario planning to them, at least to some extent.

I'm pleasantly surprised that Sonic Team's allowing them more control over the story. Colour me cautiously optimistic.

Just watched the English cutscene. It was pretty good. I'm never a big fan of Tails being useless, but it was hardly noteworthy, and his dialogue was funny. Roger's acting seemed weak to me, though. Really hoping we get a German dub again.

Pal, the game has an Italian dub. It pretty much guarantees a dub for every big region in Europe.

• Thumbs Up 1

Pal, the game has an Italian dub. It pretty much guarantees a dub for every big region in Europe.

It does?! When was this confirmed?

Great news, though. I was worried they'd drop them aft Generations. Thanks for telling me.

It does?! When was this confirmed?

Great news, though. I was worried they'd drop them aft Generations. Thanks for telling me.

By the fact that there is an Italian version of the "Colors" trailer. They didn't put unknown voice actors in in but actually "famous" ones. For example, Sonic's voice actor is the same guy who voiced him in Generations.

• Thumbs Up 1

Man, I lose track of time at work... 

^ I don't feel that SA2 is as dark as a lot of people says it is either. The government conspiracy angle is given very little focus in the game; Eggman blowing up an island and later threatening to do the same to the Earth is standard fare for a cartoon villain (not to mention that Chaos laid waste to a populated city the game before and Eggman himself outright blew the Earth to pieces in Unleashed anyway). The Last Story is quite dark, due to Gerald's speech, but it's a relatively small part of the game (that is quickly opposed by Amy and Shadow's memory of Maria anyway). The rest of it concentrates on the dynamic between the two contrasting groups of characters, with the military pursuit acting as a backdrop rather than being a major concern for the cast. The Hero Side carries an unwavering optimism despite that obstacle. The opening scene is a perfect example of this. Held hostage in a helicopter? Nope; cue bouncy music as Sonic escapes and boards down San Francisco to a lighthearted song. He doesn't hand himself over like many heroes would, because he's confident that everything will work out in the end.

Most of the dark elements in the main game revolve around Shadow and his frequent memories of Maria, because they distress him momentarily, but I would expect a game that focusses on the villains' point of view (and on the family of the arch villain no less) for the first time to be a bit darker than those that don't. While the end of the game is bittersweet due to Shadow's sacrifice, he leaves as a noble hero (rather than a tragic, misguided villain) and everyone is left with knowledge that they were able to save the Earth by working together. This is typical of the series' optimistic view that all people are inherently good, as Amy says so herself. A massive high is born from every low. For a supposedly 'dark' game, it can be very uplifting.

Like I said before, unless those people are calling it grimdark, it is. So in a way, I agree, but then I feel as though, as equally uplifting SA2 can be, people are equally selling short how dark SA2's elements are even amidst it being lighthearted that I've noted that balance it out.

The government conspiracy angle, for example, isn't focus very little than it is subtle; it leaves you in the dark or plays itself off as completely irrelevant until you learn more and more of what's going on. It's the whole reason why the military is chasing both sides all the way up to the ARK throughout the narrative: they're after Eggman broke into one of the military's top secret facilities and released Shadow, one of their superweapons that they don't want the public to know is the real one causing trouble, so what do they do? They use his physical similarity to Sonic to cover it up and use him as a scapegoat while trying to capture Shadow in the dark, then go after all his friends like Tails by offering bounties on their heads after they break Sonic out of prison. Meanwhile, these events are also the reason for Rouge spying on Team Dark as she digs up information of Project Shadow when even the President was in the dark, while Shadow shows Eggman one of the hidden functions of the space colony that most people never knew about. And this is all before the reveal at the Final Story that brings everything to home over the catalyst that drove the conflicts that went on as all those secrets come further out. The conspiracy angle was always in front of you, but it wasn't shouting that it was in your face as the narrative went on.

Eggman blowing up an island and holding the world hostage with a death ray isn't the standard fare when it is played straight and for drama even compared to Unleashed when he does it in the introduction (which is played for shock and awe while the drama is undermined by having everyone on the planet actually feeling fine aside from a number of them being possessed by Dark Gaia). Basically as serious as Chaos flooding Station Square but on a much larger scale, escalating as the colony drop sequence comes into play and really ups the ante as it threatens everyone to the point that even Eggman is shocked and helps the heroes out. Prior to this, we've never had such intended omnicide played for tragedy, as we were mostly concerned with trying to stop Eggman from taking over the world.

Throughout the plot, Sonic goofs around and toys with his foes, but Eggman is more hypercompetent this time around even when there's a set back such as him fighting Tails on Prison Island, fighting his Egg Golem after it malfunctions and turns on him, then fighting Tails yet again after he seemingly kills Sonic. And even though Sonic goofs around, he drops the silliness almost every time he encounters Shadow until their last fight, as Shadow was the one who tarnished his reputation as the world renowned hero into a villain to the world, shifting from playful to straight up rage in one of the few moments we've ever seen him legitimately pissed off. 

That is not to say that this is how I think it should be done nowadays, but I do agree with Doc Eggman that people frequently blow SA2's 'darkness' out of proportion, ignoring its lighthearted side, whether they are all for it or against it. The game is perfectly in line with your last paragraph, providing a good balance of highs and lows. While it may sound dark from its premise (and you could say the same about Colours there), what really establishes the tone are the emotions that drive the story. There is revenge, deception, tragedy and even death, but they give way to trust, teamwork, freedom and a hope for the future. The overall message is that evil acts are born of misunderstanding and that good will triumph in the end. I wouldn't cite Unleashed as a great example of balance, as it shies away from portraying Sonic's struggle as the Werehog (be it simply becoming accustomed to the new form and lack of speed or it filling him with negative emotions), even stating that Sonic is far too perfect a hero to be affected by such a thing. It's virtually a beginning and an end without the ups and downs that an engaging narrative needs.

It's not just emotions that establishes SA2's tone, it's the actions that work in tandem with it. Actions such as Sonic jesting about the helicopter lacking any snacks or movies before sky-diving down establishing humor, Shadow's memories of the past establishing a sense of loss and payback, the destruction of Prison Island establishing shock and awe showing how far Eggman was willing to go to succeed, Eggman blowing up the moon and Gerald's colony drop program establishing horror and intensity, the whole cover-up and conspiracy establishing secrecy both to the characters and to the audience, the climax establishing the stakes and even more intensity and a need for triumph to settle it, and the conclusion establishing a bittersweet victory and sacrifice. (geez, no fucking wonder this narrative still stands strong despite that game aging poorly)

Unleashed isn't as dark as SA2 is, but it is far more well rounded in how it at least handles intense moments compared to Colors. Sonic may not struggle as the Werehog, and it certainly gives a greater push compared to what goes on in Colors when mainly when you're fighting Dark Gaia.

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonîc
  • Thumbs Up 2

Ok, so can we all stop blaming them for the Colors and Generations now and start blaming Sonic Team.

They still came up with the crappy dialogue filled with jokes in Colours.............

They still came up with the crappy dialogue filled with jokes in Colours.............

Well, you could say they tried their best with the strict scenario they were given. 

Well, you could say they tried their best with the strict scenario they were given. 

If they had to fill it with jokes, they at least could have been funny jokes, not random translator crap. 

Edited by Chaos Warp
  • Thumbs Up 1

Because the Translator jokes took of most of the humor right?

Well there is a significant amount of them. As good as I can remember, there's like 1 or 2 per zone?

Edited by Chaos Warp

If they were given more control, I don't think we would be likely to have "Underwear to be worn by salad". That was where things started becoming safer until this supposed point.

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonîc

I really hope the 3DS version get's the full cutscenes, not just the text boxes. Mind you, 3D gameplay is in the 3DS version so who knows, maybe Dimps will surprise us...

If they surprised us with 3D gameplay, I can see them surprise us with another change to the "DIMPS formula" with non-text box cutscenes this time around. We'll hafta wait and see, mind you, but at this point, I don't know what to expect.

I guess I'm the only one here who found Colors to be genuinely funny.

I give it an A for effort.......ok more like a D

The humor just felt really forced in Colors(Ok anything not related to Eggman did anyway). I prefer the type of humor that stems from the personality of the characters, than saying silly lines and expecting a laugh.

Edited by Azure Yakuzu
  • Thumbs Up 5

Eh, I thought a few of the jokes were funny. My only real problem was the cutscenes with Sonic taunting the bosses going on for too long. Just one, quick taunt and then throwing himself at the boss would have been a lot better.

Except the stretching one. That one always makes me laugh for some reason.

(It also would have helped if Eggman had been around for more of those cutscenes, to give someone for the taunting to bounce off of, but that probably goes without saying.)