Awoo.

Sonic Lost World: First Cut Scene Now Online

Victoes

I guess I'm the only one here who found Colors to be genuinely funny.

It was funny sometimes. Unfortunately not most times.

• Thumbs Up 6

The humor in Colors is so bad that's laughable, that's the question tongue.png I like to call the 'Spider-man humor', you know, obvious cheesy jokes.

Edited by Jango

The humor is a hit or miss for me. Some of the jokes made me giggle (Eggman's PA announcements for example) and some of them made me cringe. But despite that I still like the overall writing.

I found the translator "jokes" to be incredibly flat. It's like taking some text from a Japanese site, using Google translate and just copy pasting the results without making modifications to have it make sense.

Sonic's interactions with some of the bosses went on for a little too long. It also hurts when the bosses don't even talk back or even react. Imagine the boss fight with Cerberus in DMC3 with only Dante flappin' his mouth.wacko.png

Also, Sonic's reaction to Baldy McNosehair was a bit much, I mean, god forbid anyone tells him about "Ro-butt-nik".

Edited by Briraka

I guess I'm the only one here who found Colors to be genuinely funny.
Welp, makes two of us at least.
  • Thumbs Up 2

I thought Colors was funny, even if the jokes were dumb. I just wanted more of a story in it. That just kind of soured the jokes for me.

By the fact that there is an Italian version of the "Colors" trailer. They didn't put unknown voice actors in in but actually "famous" ones. For example, Sonic's voice actor is the same guy who voiced him in Generations.

There's a german Colours trailer too. So yes, we'll probably get a dub.

Great to know. I haven't really been following the game all that much, so I didn't know the Colours Power trailer was released in different languages. Thanks.

Edited by MarcelloF

I actually thought Sonic's interactions with his shitty friends in the DS version of Colors was pretty funny. Yeah, it was flanderization but they were short moments so it's expected. I don't know who wrote those, but it was better than the interactions in Generations imo.

• Thumbs Up 1

Well that's because in Colours DS Sonic actually...umm, what was it called...wait a second let me look it up--ah yes:

talked  past participle, past tense of talk (Verb)

1. Speak in order to give information or express ideas or feelings; converse or communicate by spoken words: "the two men talked".
  2. Have the power of speech: "he can talk as well as you or I can".

He did that! With his friends. The talking thing. Revolutionary.

• Thumbs Up 5

Yeah, whoever said it, I can't get behind SA2 being considered super dark either. Just like I can't buy that the two scenes in Colors with any dramatic weight in them made the situation any kind of intense or worthy of much to care about. It's a principle that says just having those elements in the game makes it dark and not the way its handled and all that. But playing SA2 as a kid, I never got a sense of it being too grim and gritty for me. Not with the lines the characters were cracking, the look and design of the characters themselves, and how everything I was seeing in it was all stuff that I was already relatively used to seeing on other kids shows.

Explosions, the military, and cover-ups and what not aren't really going to be what sells me out of considering the game on more neutral ground. It's kind of weird for me to consider it as such because a military exists and because they decided to keep a secret and because the evil, tyrant with the army of robots that cause destruction (whose first appearance was well before SA2 I might add) decided he liked blowing crap up and than proceeded to blow crap up. 

The highlighted dark elements for me come and center mostly around the backstory given by the game's ending and the resolution as well. Everything before it was there to entertain me and make me care about what was going on. If it had been the same stuff but Eggman was the one keeping the secret and not the military or if there hadn't been a president present... I don't know if I would've felt any different.

I certainly didn't feel like any of it was over my head or too grim for me at my age when I first played it. Neither did my little brother. And neither did a ton of other kids who played it at that age. And neither did a ton more kids who saw the Saturday Morning cartoon adaptation of the game. Why now that I'm an adult would I ever call it too dark? Looking back on it, its still the same thing it was before. What exactly has changed? The idea that a lot of what we're seeing there is usually seen more often in adult shows and not just G.I Joe and Transformers? 

I just thought it was cool as a kid. I didn't think about whether it was dark or anything, I just enjoyed the story. It felt like a pretty normal action story, but with Sonic characters.

The humor in Colors is so bad that's laughable, that's the question tongue.png I like to call the 'Spider-man humor', you know, obvious cheesy jokes.

But Spider-Man's cheesy humor is a lot funnier then Sonic Colour's.............

• Thumbs Up 1

Because Spider-Man is super sassy and witty, he saves his dorkiness for Peter Parker, it's like he jumps into a completely different ego when his face is masked, and he obviously knows he's badass.

Sonic in Colours however, was more dorky than badass and that's what made it cringe-like, especially when Tails of all people were calling him out for his dorkiness when it used to be the other way around, Sonic being the cool and collective one, whilst Tails used to be the younger brother tagging along with Sonic.

It's like they've completely re-wrote their personalities with the new voice actors, to me Roger Craig Smith's Sonic voice already sounds incredibly dorky to me for some reason so I really can't see Sonic's Adventure era attitude transitioning into the newer games.

• Thumbs Up 3

Because Spider-Man is super sassy and witty, he saves his dorkiness for Peter Parker, it's like he jumps into a completely different ego when his face is masked, and he obviously knows he's badass.

You mean like this?

59760_10150294299980145_4304931_n.jpg

Seriously though, yes. It's like with every new voice actor, different angles of Sonic are portrayed. Drummond introduced him as the energetic adventurer, Griffith appealed more to his more heroic and cooler nature, and Smith seems to follow his more snarky yet dorkier side.

• Thumbs Up 2

sonic__s_vocal_life_by_aerobian_angel-d3

Relevant..

But Spider-Man's cheesy humor is a lot funnier then Sonic Colour's.............

Sure fine, personality is somewhat similar though.

So what if Sonic's a dork? Having a character trying to be cool all the time is boring. Sonic is cool when it comes to daredevil stunts and stopping Eggman, but when it comes to every day situations and a scenario that presents a relativley low tension atmosphere, Sonic being himself by being the type of guy that only he thinks is cool wherass most of his friends sees him as a big goofball is fine.

Edited by Soniman
  • Thumbs Up 4

It should be "Sonic the Dork" for Roger.

Hip-Hog was best Hog, AWH YEA, DIS IS HAPPENIN'

Eh, Martin'd fit under "Sassy", I'd say.

Wait a second, where's the CD voice actor!? >:U "I'MOUTTAHERE"

Where does Martin Burke fit in there?

Martin Burke you say?

Sonic-s-Vocal-Life-sonic-the-hedgehog-28

To me Sonic was never a dork, he was always this sassy asshole but always did the right thing, he was too cool for school, he was the pinnacle of coolness and it matched up perfectly with his sleek design.

I would be lying to myself if I said that Colours didn't dampen Sonic's appeal to me with this new personality focus on being a dork, I mean it's cool he's getting character development but for me, it's clear I was an Adventure loving Sonic fan when he was just too cool to put into words.

I'm willing to give this new persona a chance though, but Colours left a cringeworthy taste in my mouth that I really wish didn't happen.

• Thumbs Up 3

I don't think being called out on acting silly automatically makes you a dork or uncool. Half of Sonic's more brazen performances in the older games were already cringe-worthy anyway; the fact that no one said anything about it didn't minimize that. Allowing his friends to poke him back a little bit makes him and those friendships more relatable, and it doesn't inherently undermine the cool things he actually does do. Sonic shouldn't be untouchable to be cool. I don't defend Colors often, but Sonic's personality in it is one of the things I actually do really enjoy.

• Thumbs Up 6

I love Sonic being a dork because it keeps him from being a "Mr. Perfect Cool Ace" that he tends to be from time to time, I love Sonic and all but one of my main gripes with him is how....perfect he tends to be; I mean he never loses his cool, everyone looks up to him, and is basically the Jesus figure of the series, which while make him a good hero, don't make him much of a relatable character.

See, current Sonic is great to me because his supposed coolness has been turned it on its head; when he thinks he's being cool and awesome, he usually isn't and leads to less than ideal moments for him, which just makes him so much more interesting, a character convinced of his own ego. That isn't to say Sonic still doesn't have his badassery; dude still outran a black hole for a good minute, fought and beat Perfect Chaos without a Superform, and still has all of moves. 

I don't really agree how they went about it in Colors, but Lost World looks like its found a balance between his cool side and his dorky side.

Edited by Azure Yakuzu
  • Thumbs Up 8

I don't think being called out on acting silly automatically makes you a dork or uncool. Half of Sonic's more brazen performances in the older games were already cringe-worthy anyway; the fact that no one said anything about it didn't minimize that. Allowing his friends to poke him back a little bit makes him and those friendships more relatable, and it doesn't inherently undermine the cool things he actually does do. Sonic shouldn't be untouchable to be cool. I don't defend Colors often, but Sonic's personality in it is one of the things I actually do really enjoy.

There's being silly then there's being a complete and utter dork, I mean talking to a destroyed robot is totally Sonic, expecting him to drop a cheesy one liner relevant to the situation, but adding onto it "Yeah I'm talking to destroyed robot, got a problem with that?" sort of stuff is just... Tarnishing imo to Sonic's personality as I remember him being the cheesy hip kid from his late 90's early 2000's persona, I know that sounds weird considering we got super cheese from Sonic Heroes, but lines like "hmm. didn't you know? We have a date with Eggman too!" just reeks of sass on Sonic's part, he's just the type of character to jab and wind up him enemies and opponents because he knows he can beat them, and it's his arrogance that I love about him.

I know it's also weird to bring up Sonic X characterizations but how He and Knuckles interacted in that series, Sonic was a huge asshole and tease to Knuckles in that one episode sort of like "Fuck you think you doin'? You can't even hit me bitch ahaha" "TOO FAST FOR YOU"  I don't know, I've always seen Sonic as that sly fucker that always has the right amount of sassyness to be an insufferable asshole to Eggman and constantly be a thorn in his side, but his arrogance and temper always was his fatal flaw, because Sonic knows he's cool, and thinks he's too fast to even be touched, and this is the mind set that trips him up when he is caught. That and his devotion to protecting the innocent/weak and his friends is his biggest exploit.

That's how I've always seen Sonic. 

• Thumbs Up 5

Sonic in Colours however, was more dorky than badass and that's what made it cringe-like, especially when Tails of all people were calling him out for his dorkiness when it used to be the other way around, Sonic being the cool and collective one, whilst Tails used to be the younger brother tagging along with Sonic.

It's like they've completely re-wrote their personalities with the new voice actors, to me Roger Craig Smith's Sonic voice already sounds incredibly dorky to me for some reason so I really can't see Sonic's Adventure era attitude transitioning into the newer games.

It's even worse by the ending when Sonic's berating Dr. Eggman for having lame, corny jokes when Eggman's jokes are the best ones throughout the entire game. He must think everything was saying was super cool and totally not-lame though. Talk about a huge, annoying disconnect. It really made me want to smack him.

Going on about serving up "clobbering" and talking NON-STOP to that robot in Asteroid Coaster, I can't look at those particular scenes anymore without cringing or feeling embarrassed. Same goes for that scene where Tails tries to defend a point about how much he contributed. And the scene after it where Sonic makes remarks about having a bad feeling and then when its established he KEEPS talking and going on about the plums of dust rising and the park shaking and then I'm left sitting there just telling him to shut up in my head and then he makes a joke about Eggman's hairline and by that point I'm just really baffled as to how anyone could be expected to care about any of whats happening considering that neither the writers nor the characters do. 

Look at that run on sentence. All those things were coming back to me at once along with my reactions to them. Astounding. 

Edited by Crystal Chaotix 3
  • Thumbs Up 2

I certainly didn't feel like any of it was over my head or too grim for me at my age when I first played it. Neither did my little brother. And neither did a ton of other kids who played it at that age. And neither did a ton more kids who saw the Saturday Morning cartoon adaptation of the game. Why now that I'm an adult would I ever call it too dark? Looking back on it, its still the same thing it was before. What exactly has changed? The idea that a lot of what we're seeing there is usually seen more often in adult shows and not just G.I Joe and Transformers? 

Being dark is not defined by being "too grim for your age" or "going over your head." It's the complete opposite of being lighthearted and taking or shifting scenes and subject matter into a different level of tension and feeling by heightening them to levels you wouldn't see. Think Bambi being very lighthearted up until the point the hunter shoots Bambi's mom or when Simba fights Scar to reclaim Pride Rock in Lion King, that's the same feel that goes on with SA2.

Seriously, do people just not get what is actually a "dark moment" or do they just define it by whether kids or adults watch it?

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonîc
  • Thumbs Up 1

I love Sonic being a dork because it keeps him from being a "Mr. Perfect Cool Ace" that he tends to be from time to time, I love Sonic and all but one of my main gripes with him is how....perfect he tends to be; I mean he never loses his cool, everyone looks up to him, and is basically the Jesus figure of the series, which while make him a good hero, don't make him much of a relatable character.

Yeah see I don't agree with this because Sonic being dorky and him feeling like he's cool himself when in reality he's actually acting like a complete tool just doesn't do it for me, this isn't how I remember Sonic being this gobby little idiot who doesn't know when to shut up, I remember him being the type of guy to make light of a serious situation and dropping cheesy one liners, not breaking the fourth wall, not talking to a pile of scrap, not expressing how awesome he views himself as to cringeworthy levels (seriously the cutscene before boss battle in Asteroid Coaster really is over the top, it's like Roger doesn't know when to shut up or cut it off) I don't want Sonic bragging about how cool he is every chance he can, I already know he's cool and badass, I don't need to be annoyingly reminded by him any chance he gets.

Colours Sonic persona was just too cringe worthy and kid friendly for my taste, I actually felt embarrassed when watching the cutscenes with family members present because even if they aren't gamers, the dialogue was just so ...Ugh, "please switch it off or skip it Soniko!" I literally only laughed briefly when Sonic laughed at "Baldy Nosehair" because that would have been my reaction in his shoes.

He's just become such a chatterbox? I mean it's like he loves the sound of his own voice and I'm not that big on Roger's Sonic voice to begin with, I can tolerate it sure (unlike Shadow's new VA), but if his performance isn't any better in SLW, I can guarantee I'll be switching to Japanese Audio with Subtitles.

And for the record Sonic will always be "Mr Cool Ace" to me, because that's what I grew up with, not jokey "when-do-i-stop-speaking" Dorky Sonic. :P

• Thumbs Up 3