Awoo.

Sonic Lost World: First Cut Scene Now Online

Victoes

I thought that, since Colours, the script was translated from English into Japanese and not the other way round? If that's the case, then you'd assume that the Japanese dialogue will be reasonably similar to that of the English one?

It's true that there was also serious moments in Colors, but it's also true that there were completely different jokes and characterization in the Japanese version. Sonic and Tails acted more or less the same, or at least very similar to their characterization in previous titles such as Unleashed. It had an almost completely different script from the English version. The English writing could be similar or very different to the Japanese version for Lost World, regardless of who wrote the original script; it's hard to tell at this point.

A good example would be Cubot's voice changing gag, due to his damaged voice chip. In English, he went from Cowboy, to Pirate, to Italian mobster, before his normal voice was restored. In Japanese, however, his voice went from Ninja, to Sumo Wrestler, to a Woman (or at least, a feminine sounding voice), before his original voice was restored.

Also, the "Dr. Robotnik!" joke in Generations was changed to "There are two Eggmans?!" in Japanese, due to the fact that Eggman was never called "Robotnik" over there.

Edited by Tomoki
  • Thumbs Up 4

Huh. In any case, I'm not too worried. In the cutscene we've seen so far, I can only really see room for Sonic to perhaps crack one joke (when he's carrying Tails), but it doesn't look like he will. If he did, I imagine it'd be more of a snarky comment more than anything.

Huh. In any case, I'm not too worried. In the cutscene we've seen so far, I can only really see room for Sonic to perhaps crack one joke (when he's carrying Tails), but it doesn't look like he will. If he did, I imagine it'd be more of a snarky comment more than anything.

It'll probably be something like:

"Hang on little buddy! Ugh, of all the times for Eggmans clunkers to actually be a pain in the ass!"

It'll probably be fine. I'm hoping the current English writers will finally hit their stride with this one and find a nice middle ground.

Actually, there's nothing wrong with skipping Generations. Not only is it the only game that relies entirely on being an anniversary title (as opposed to SA2 and NextGen, which didn't rely on it at all), but it has so many plot holes that it really makes more sense to just skip it.

So yes, we can skip Generations without any trouble at all.

Really? What plot holes? Because I never encountered anything that couldn't be explained with "Eggman fucked it up with the Time Eater" like he did throughout the whole game.

Regardless, we didn't skip atrocities like ShTH or Sonic 06 when we didnt like them. I fail to see the logic in skipping Generations when the motive in doing so is the same "I don't like it" rationale that never applied to any of the other main titles either.

Edit: and how the hell did SA2 and 06 not rely on being anniversary titles, when the whole reason they were hyped in the first place (especially SA2) was because the were milestones in this franchises history? Excuses much?

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonîc

Really? What plot holes? Because I never encountered on that couldn't be explained with "Eggman fucked it up with the Time Eater" like he did throughout the whole game. Regardless, we didn't skip atrocities like ShTH or Sonic 06 when we didnt like them. I fail to see the logic in skipping Generations when the motive in doing so is the same "I don't like it" rationale that never applied to any of the other main titles either. Edit: and how the hell did SA2 and 06 not rely on being anniversary titles, when the whole reason they were hyped in the first place (especially SA2) was because the were milestones in this franchises history? Excuses much?
People want to skip Generations because if its canon, then it makes the entire continuity of the series a mess. It's not a matter of liking it...it's a matter of logically placing its events on the Sonic timeline. I don't hate Generation's story as a standalone game...but it makes zero sense in the context of the Sonic canon
  • Thumbs Up 1

This would look miles better with the Unleashed art style. Good cutscenes like these deserve good graphics.

• Thumbs Up 3

Really? What plot holes? Because I never encountered anything that couldn't be explained with "Eggman fucked it up with the Time Eater" like he did throughout the whole game.

Regardless, we didn't skip atrocities like ShTH or Sonic 06 when we didnt like them. I fail to see the logic in skipping Generations when the motive in doing so is the same "I don't like it" rationale that never applied to any of the other main titles either.

Edit: and how the hell did SA2 and 06 not rely on being anniversary titles, when the whole reason they were hyped in the first place (especially SA2) was because the were milestones in this franchises history? Excuses much?

I loved Generations, but it simply doesn't make sense for it to be canon. If it's canon, then technically it would take place either after Sonic 2 or S3&K (for Classic Sonic, that is). At no point is it indicated that Sonic remembers doing any of this as his younger self. In fact, based on his behavior in the cutscenes it's likely that he doesn't. Since the events of Generations are something you wouldn't forget very easily, this raises the question: how does Modern Sonic remember it* but Classic Sonic doesn't?

And I'm not talking about the hype. I'm talking about the story of both SA2 and NextGen. If either of those games had been released a year later, there would be no difference in the plot. Meanwhile, the entire point of Generations is that it's an anniversary title. Think about it: a game that's set on Sonic's birthday and takes you on a whirlwind tour of the franchise's past? Yeah, that would be great as a non-milestone game!

Another observation:

Cubot at the end of this cutscene has literally lost his head (or the rest of his body, not that he had much of one), so something tells me that may be a running gag for the rest of the game, in the same way that Colors had a "voice chip" gag. 

He might be reunited with the rest of his body soon after, but I think a "talking head" comedy routine may be what they're going for here.

Good observation XD I hope that happens. Although doesnt he kind of look like that when he "retracts" ? orbot retracts into a small ball, and cubot, just a cube. But I dunno, hope its actually him losing the rest of his body : P

I don't think Cubot lost his head. I think he just "folded" himself up.

Watch between 36 and 40 second in the Sonic Colors opening.

They're made to be able to "fold" up, so to speak.

No, he did lose his head. If he had folded up, his mouth piece wouldn't be visible as that disappears behind the bottom half of the cube.

Edited by Gatestormer

The only thing I'd like to add is that Zavok makes me think of Black Doom with his dialogue (not really saying this in a bad way), something that took me a little off guard with how... Brilliant and colorful his kin seems to be.

He doesn't look like the most demonic thing ever (well, compared to the monsters we had across the series) but acts like it might actually be a serious threat. Which I like.

It comes straight after Colors, and it's whole premise is about Eggman screwing up past events and making things a mess that needs to be cleaned up in the first place. Is it really that difficult for some people to make sense of something so simplistic and barebones in comparison to the likes of Sonic 06 which couldn't even get it's own narrative straight? Hardly anyone makes excuses to ignore that, and those that do get shot down even by those who hate that game to hell and back.

This sounds less of about it being a mess and more about those who want to skip it not wanting to make an effort to put 1 and 2 together to make 3 over the events in play. If you make excuses to skip Generations, then you justify making excuses to skip all the other main titles of the series such as the Classics and the Adventures.

The problem is that Generations ends it with classic Sonic knowing everything that happens in his life all the way up to there, making everything Sonic's ever gone through seem a bit meaningless since he saw his successes and everything else coming. That's where the problem lies in it remaining canon. And you know what? If they consider that canon, then why the hell not then. Just take out all implications of Sonic having doubts in himself, anything he was to take on be unexpected, et cetera. Let him be the overconfident, never-faltering hero he is! :V

I'm not saying just forget Generations' story existed when I say to ignore it. I'm saying the same thing that happened with 06, lets just say it canonically did happen, but didn't happen at the same time. Otherwise there's gonna be a lot of inner things that just break.. just like 06.

Edited by New Age Retro Azoonky

Middle Ground:

Generations following from Colors remains canon, in regards to Eggman taking over Time Eater after the Wisps scheme failed horribly.

However, messing with time caused...well, disruptions in time. Everything was jumbled together. The White World was a mish mash of alternate timelines, like a Crisis crossover in comic books.

Hence, the events happened...but have no actual bearing on what Sonic's history looks like. Sonic didn't actually learn homing attack from himself, for instance.

That's how I'd prefer it. Maintain the continuity from Colors, but they were messing around with distorted alternate timelines. Which is why Crisis City is there.

Edited by Crazizzle

I think that's overstating how much of his future he saw, though. I mean, he basically just saw a bunch of locations, and one of the bosses (the Dragoon). The only real major spoiler is maybe Shadow apparently being on his side at some point, but that's about it.

Time travel is really screwy though, no way around it. Just assume it created a new timeline but the normal one wasn't affected, or something. I probably have too much of a suspension of disbelief for time travel stories...

Edited by ElementofChaos

I think that's overstating how much of his future he saw, though. I mean, he basically just saw a bunch of locations, and one of the bosses (the Dragoon). The only real major spoiler is maybe Shadow apparently being on his side at some point, but that's about it.

Time travel is really screwy though, no way around it. Just assume it created a new timeline but the normal one wasn't affected, or something. I probably have too much of a suspension of disbelief for time travel stories...

He meets his friends before he meets them, thus knowing the people he meets he'll be friends with. He goes to several locales before he's been there, thus already knowing some things before they happen. He's met his older self and is seeing all this happen, so he knows he wins every time, making it where Sonic wouldn't have felt any tension ever because he knows he pulls through (whats the fun in a character who is never afraid or doubting of himself in some small iota?). 

It messes with a lot of things that'd make you value Sonic more as a character. Then again, I guess that's not what Sega's out to do. Its moreso that they just want him to be "the hero who wins against the bad guy". :v

So on that note, yeah, I'm just gonna accept that it "happened", but on an unsaid timeline split. Can we put Sonic 4 on that same timesplit, while we're at it? :'y

Edited by New Age Retro Azoonky

This would look miles better with the Unleashed art style. Good cutscenes like these deserve good graphics.

If all you're going to do is complain about the fucking graphics then you're in the wrong forum pal, there is more to discuss here than simply saying "I miss Unleashed graphics, waah."

• Thumbs Up 6

One think that kinda worries me is that the English writers will shit all over the intensity and drama of this scene by placing random jokes in unfitting places just for the sake of a joke. With the darker dialogue shown in the ESRB rating thingamafucker I do have some hope but these are the Colours writers we're talking about, which counteracts the hope with doubt...............

Have Warren or Ken ever had a serious scene or moment- such as the one where Sonic and Tails discovered the Wisps capsules, or when Modern and Classic were engaging Eggman at the end- and just thrown in a random joke for no reason whatsoever?

Really, have they ever done this?

Just because they write comedic scripts doesn't mean they're oblivious to when a joke isn't at all called for.

• Thumbs Up 8

He meets his friends before he meets them, thus knowing the people he meets he'll be friends with. He goes to several locales before he's been there, thus already knowing some things before they happen. He's met his older self and is seeing all this happen, so he knows he wins every time, making it where Sonic wouldn't have felt any tension ever because he knows he pulls through (whats the fun in a character who is never afraid or doubting of himself in some small iota?). 

It messes with a lot of things that'd make you value Sonic more as a character. Then again, I guess that's not what Sega's out to do. Its moreso that they just want him to be "the hero who wins against the bad guy". :v

So on that note, yeah, I'm just gonna accept that it "happened", but on an unsaid timeline split. Can we put Sonic 4 on that same timesplit, while we're at it? :'y

Or maybe you're overthinking this and he just forgot. :\

Have Warren or Ken ever had a serious scene or moment- such as the one where Sonic and Tails discovered the Wisps capsules, or when Modern and Classic were engaging Eggman at the end- and just thrown in a random joke for no reason whatsoever?

Really, have they ever done this?

Just because they write comedic scripts doesn't mean they're oblivious to when a joke isn't at all called for.

Does the mind control failing and Tails making a statement about his nose hair in Sonic Colors count?

...Come to think of it, Classic seems to be about 10 or so (that's how I interpreted him, anyway). I certainly can't remember anything from when I was 10 years old, aside from bits and pieces.

That, plus Modern Sonic and Tails not remembering Chemical Plant all too clearly...makes it kinda plausible that they just forgot. *shrugs*

Or maybe you're overthinking this and he just forgot. :\

.... How do you forget you time-travelled, met yourself, doubles of people you know and new people, then saved the freaking world? That's on par with forgetting you were born.

Does the mind control failing and Tails making a statement about his nose hair in Sonic Colors count?

Since Tails said that after he snapped out of it- which is a moment of relieved tension- not really.

• Thumbs Up 5