Awoo.

Sonic Lost World: First Cut Scene Now Online

Victoes

I think we're all over thinking this personally, I mean SEGA have done an incredible job of keeping this game under wraps and leak free, what do we have? Like 2 vague trailers and this part of a cut scene? It's hard to judge or debate anything with the tiny amount we have to work with, so talking story or Sonic's personality portrayal at this point is kind of...Eeuuurgh... Until I see more I'm not judging the game's story or the roles the characters take, and with little over 2 month to go, I might as well wait for release day.

We can't really judge if the game even continues on from Generations or if SEGA retconned or didn't even bother filling in the plot holes, who knows? They could tie up the loose ends, I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt for now.

Edited by Super Soniko

Does the mind control failing and Tails making a statement about his nose hair in Sonic Colors count?

Not really, as that comment was made after he was out of the hypno-juice.

Her general point still stands: just because their writing is focused on comedy, doesn't mean that they're incapable of more dramatic writing. 

.... How do you forget you time-travelled, met yourself, doubles of people you know and new people, then saved the freaking world? That's on par with forgetting you were born.

Exactly. You can't just forget that happened!

..Then again, considering how modern Sonic could only find GHZ "awfully familiar" (and same with Tails finding the Mega Mack and Chemical Plant familiar) (AND Eggman ends up doing the same plans again even though he should know they fail), it could be best implied that the entire Sonic cast suffers from some sort of really severe long-term memory disorder.

Edited by New Age Retro Azoonky
  • Thumbs Up 3

I think we're all over thinking this personally, I mean SEGA have done an incredible job of keeping this game under wraps and leak free, what do we have? Like 2 vague trailers and this part of a cut scene? It's hard to judge or debate anything with the tiny amount we have to work with, so talking story or Sonic's personality portrayal at this point is kind of...Eeuuurgh... Until I see more I'm not judging the game's story or the roles the characters take, and with little over 2 month to go, I might as well wait for release day.

We can't really judge if the game even continues on from Generations or if SEGA retconned or didn't even bother filling in the plot holes, who knows? They could tie up the loose ends, I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt for now.

It's probably cuz Nintendo is the one keeping a lot of things under raps. if this was with Microsoft. It would have been spoiled by now

..Then again, considering how modern Sonic could only find GHZ "awfully familiar" (and same with Tails finding the Mega Mack and Chemical Plant familiar), it could be best implied that the entire Sonic cast suffers from some sort of really severe long-term memory disorder.

I take it as you take a picture of a vacation spot. you forget to label the picture with something. You like to go on multiple vacations. Then you look back and think I've seen this but don't remember where. 

..Then again, considering how modern Sonic could only find GHZ "awfully familiar" (and same with Tails finding the Mega Mack and Chemical Plant familiar), it could be best implied that the entire Sonic cast suffers from some sort of really severe long-term memory disorder.

But they even brought Classic Sonic & Tails to the PRESENT (Future for Classics) and conversed with them before they went back? So even if they did lose their memory in the transition to the present again, they should remember having their Classic selves at Sonic's 20th...

..Then again, considering how modern Sonic could only find GHZ "awfully familiar" (and same with Tails finding the Mega Mack and Chemical Plant familiar) (AND Eggman ends up doing the same plans again even though he should know they fail), it could be best implied that the entire Sonic cast suffers from some sort of really severe long-term memory disorder.

Well considering the amount of times Eggman tried to use ancient creatures/people/demons/bullshit for his plans to have it back fire every time, Amy mistaking other people for Sonic so many times, and Knuckles trusting Eggman more times than he should have, that suddenly explains a lot.

Edited by LordMetallix

.... How do you forget you time-travelled, met yourself, doubles of people you know and new people, then saved the freaking world? That's on par with forgetting you were born.

Well they do fight similar beings on a constant basis, it probably just blends together after a while.

Sonic in Sonic Adventure 2 acts like he's never even seen Shadow before. Who is this new powerful foe? Where did he come from?

Silly Sonic, you had the chance to mingle with him and pick his brain during Sonic Generations, but you never even opened your mouth you silly goose. I love time travel. I think the only time it's been done right meaning no plot holes whatsoever was in Back To The Future Part I, II and III.

Edited by Celestia Ludenberg

But they even brought Classic Sonic & Tails to the PRESENT (Future for Classics) and conversed with them before they went back? So even if they did lose their memory in the transition to the present again, they should remember having their Classic selves at Sonic's 20th...

Right, which makes that part alright, but.. there's nothing really saying they forgot it happened. I mean it could be assumed that's what happened but its all up in the air, really.

Well they do fight similar beings on a constant basis, it probably just blends together after a while.

That's a bit reasonable for an answer to it, but they should be able to remember specific places like South Island, Westside Island, the Death Egg, Station Square, the ARK, Angel Island, etc. Not really expecting Sega to care about that anymore, though, I guess.. eh.

Edited by New Age Retro Azoonky

I loved Generations, but it simply doesn't make sense for it to be canon. If it's canon, then technically it would take place either after Sonic 2 or S3&K (for Classic Sonic, that is). At no point is it indicated that Sonic remembers doing any of this as his younger self. In fact, based on his behavior in the cutscenes it's likely that he doesn't. Since the events of Generations are something you wouldn't forget very easily, this raises the question: how does Modern Sonic remember it* but Classic Sonic doesn't?

And I'm not talking about the hype. I'm talking about the story of both SA2 and NextGen. If either of those games had been released a year later, there would be no difference in the plot. Meanwhile, the entire point of Generations is that it's an anniversary title. Think about it: a game that's set on Sonic's birthday and takes you on a whirlwind tour of the franchise's past? Yeah, that would be great as a non-milestone game!

It technically takes place after Colors confirmed right when you confront the final boss, and you can chalk all this up to it being a Stable Time Loop in that no matter what happens in Generations, everything before it since the Classic up to that point will always happen. Why? Because they already happened, and the Eggman's couldn't change what already happened, even when they separated parts of it. Hence why they still got defeated despite all the effort they put into changing things to their favor by fucking things up in the first place.

Hence why everything is set back as Classic Sonic goes back to his time and continues onward until he becomes Modern Sonic. Might even explain why they forgot things, because as Classic Sonic is his younger self, as he grows he forgets some of the things that happened in the years that go by. I mean, show of hands of who here remembers every major event that happened in your youth? (and I mean EVERY major event)

The problem is that Generations ends it with classic Sonic knowing everything that happens in his life all the way up to there, making everything Sonic's ever gone through seem a bit meaningless since he saw his successes and everything else coming. That's where the problem lies in it remaining canon. And you know what? If they consider that canon, then why the hell not then. Just take out all implications of Sonic having doubts in himself, anything he was to take on be unexpected, et cetera. Let him be the overconfident, never-faltering hero he is! :V

I'm not saying just forget Generations' story existed when I say to ignore it. I'm saying the same thing that happened with 06, lets just say it canonically did happen, but didn't happen at the same time. Otherwise there's gonna be a lot of inner things that just break.. just like 06.

Or you, like I told ElectroKyurem, you could chalk it up to Eggman causing it to be a Stable Time Loop and go about your day not worrying about it (or talk about it some more, since we haven't had any worthwhile discussion in the Discussion thread).

They did the same thing in Sonic 06 during Shadow's story where Shadow doesn't remember sealing Mephiles until he goes 10 years back into the past to seal him before they reset everything, don't see where applying that logic to a less convoluted plot wouldn't be as difficult.

Regardless of how either of you want to cut this, we're not discounting Generations from the canon. If you find it too confusing, well this isn't the first time we've had canon events altered and become too confusing to trigger a discussion over.

...this talk of stable time loops reminds me of several episodes of Gargoyles that I watched.

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonîc

I wouldn't exactly call it "shitty" than I would something with little effort put to it. But yeah, we're putting too much thought into something so simple and barebones either way.

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonîc

One think that kinda worries me is that the English writers will shit all over the intensity and drama of this scene by placing random jokes in unfitting places just for the sake of a joke. With the darker dialogue shown in the ESRB rating thingamafucker I do have some hope but these are the Colours writers we're talking about, which counteracts the hope with doubt...............

For the 2-3 scenes in Sonic Colors that were actually trying to serious, there were no Jokes to ruin the tension. Sonic Generations didn't really have much tension or humor in any of its cutscenes, it was just really pointless dialogue. Maybe the 1st cutscene and even that one didn't have jokes to really ruin the tension.

If all you're going to do is complain about the fucking graphics then you're in the wrong forum pal, there is more to discuss here than simply saying "I miss Unleashed graphics, waah."

No. His comment was valid and art style is no less a legitimate discussion topic than anything else. Just because you find it uninteresting and/or disagree with his opinion doesn't mean you can make a strawman of his argument and then call it out for being inconsequential.

Anyway, my apprehensions about the art style were mostly cleared up when those pretty screenshots were leaked and then released; I say mostly because there is a possibility that they are bullshots; i.e. Pre-rendered CGI "screenshots", but that's out of scope. But then I look at this and it looks very... flat. Now it could easily be the utterly atrocious YouTube compression, but maybe the lighting and textures really are that flat:

0WXqH4R.png

KDjdHR7.jpg

Aside from the very bad video compression, look at the projectiles and look at Robotnik's hovercraft (first image) and look a the flat lighting on the badniks (second image). There's no sense of dynamic lighting or crisp textures (again the textures might be chalked up to the compression) But compare it, especially the lighting, to this:

image_58582.jpg

image_58571.jpg

These are allegedly screenshots from Lost World, so it's apples to apples. And if you don't think this is a fair enough comparison, I invite you to choose any one of the screenshots in the gallery on this page. I honestly think that what we're seeing in that video is a step backwards.

No. His comment was valid and art style is no less a legitimate discussion topic than anything else. Just because you find it uninteresting and/or disagree with his opinion doesn't mean you can make a strawman of his argument and then call it out for being inconsequential.

Anyway, my apprehensions about the art style were mostly cleared up when those pretty screenshots were leaked and then released; I say mostly because there is a possibility that they are bullshots; i.e. Pre-rendered CGI "screenshots", but that's out of scope. But then I look at this and it looks very... flat. Now it could easily be the utterly atrocious YouTube compression, but maybe the lighting and textures really are that flat:

0WXqH4R.png

KDjdHR7.jpg

Aside from the very bad video compression, look at the projectiles and look at Robotnik's hovercraft (first image) and look a the flat lighting on the badniks (second image). There's no sense of dynamic lighting or crisp textures (again the textures might be chalked up to the compression) But compare it, especially the lighting, to this:

image_58582.jpg

image_58571.jpg

These are allegedly screenshots from Lost World, so it's apples to apples. And if you don't think this is a fair enough comparison, I invite you to choose any one of the screenshots in the gallery on this page. I honestly think that what we're seeing in that video is a step backwards.

This wasn't only about the art style, this is about the only thing he constantly brings up with no description on why he thinks that way, yeah maybe the art style looks disgusting and abysmal to him, but where's his argument besides saying "Unleashed was better, Sonic looks better in a detailed background" If he feels so strongly about hating the game's art direction then at least explain why instead of repeating the same thing every post, it get's fucking annoying when it's all "baaaw, this game looks bad".

I wouldn't be surprised if it was from an earlier build, considering the PS1-esque shadowing on Green Chick and Old Dude in the background there.

That said, I will be surprised if they change the lightning significantly so that the two primary colors aren't Extremely Bright Yellow and Extremely Bright Blue, which don't fit the scene at all.

Without some shadowing or detail, I really just don't think I can take any of the cutscenes remotely seriously. It's just too fucking bright.

• Thumbs Up 4

It's just too fucking bright.

I love the brightness. It reminds me of classic Sonic.

It looks great to me.

It looks great to me.

Now if only the lighting was improved. Zavok just looks really off in that cutscene without some decent lighting.

• Thumbs Up 1

Okay, I concede; I was too quick to accuse Soniko. Sorry about that, I wasn't aware of the broader context.

• Thumbs Up 3

It looks great to me.

Classic Sonic was never that bright, and had as much shading and detail as the hardware would allow, though. But whatever floats your boat; you've got your opinion and I've got mine.

Regardless, I'm not commenting on whether or not I like the way they lit everything, I'm just saying bright neon colors make it hard to take a scene very seriously.

• Thumbs Up 6

I don't think we're supposed to be taking this cutscene too seriously in the first place. Sure it establishes the Deadly Zix as a threat, and Tails gets injured, but the overall style of how the whole thing was done makes me feel like it was supposed to be threatening in that Saturday Morning Cartoon way, and I think it did that well.

So as far as I'm concerned, the colors feel so right.

• Thumbs Up 2

I don't think we're supposed to be taking this cutscene too seriously in the first place. Sure it establishes the Deadly Zix as a threat, and Tails gets injured, but the overall style of how the whole thing was done makes me feel like it was supposed to be threatening in that Saturday Morning Cartoon way, and I think it did that well.

So as far as I'm concerned, the colors feel so right.

I'm just judging based on the extremely hyperbolic descriptions I'm seeing here. I'm not seeing some big hype chaotic battle (two lines of robots =/= army, or even anything intimidating to be honest) here, and if that's what they're trying to convey, that's a problem.

If not, then that's cool.

In that battle there seems to be a lot of badniks firing behind the deadly six since they can't be seen well but try to pause the footage right after zavok tells the six to make them suffer and there seems to be a barrage of shots behind zavok so not only is there 2 rows of badniks but a whole force behind the six look at GameExplain's latest analysis if you don't believe me

• Thumbs Up 1

In that battle there seems to be a lot of badniks firing behind the deadly six since they can't be seen well but try to pause the footage right after zavok tells the six to make them suffer and there seems to be a barrage of shots behind zavok so not only is there 2 rows of badniks but a whole force behind the six look at GameExplain's latest analysis if you don't believe me

The fact that it's unclear at all is kind of an issue though, no? Takes away from the impact of the scene a bit if you can't even tell how many combatants are there.