Awoo.

What are some spoofs in the Sonic series?

Dafster

Hi there everyone, I just thought I'd start this new topic on "What are some spoofs in the Sonic series?" For those who don't know, a spoof is something that is strongly inspired from something else.

Just an example to get things started, a spoof in the Sonic series (I'm not completely sure if it's deliberate or not, but I'd be surprised if it wasn't) is Rouge the bat. Her personality and love for objects worth high value may be a spoof off Cat Woman from Batman (She's also a bat, so considering she may be a spoof off Cat Woman, it's not out of the question that the fact that she's a bat is inspired from Batman).

I can think of some other spoofs in the Sonic series as well, but if I were to list them all, then I don't think there'd be as much discussion.

Know any spoofs in the series? Talk about it below! smile.png

- Dafster

Chao in Space series are spoofs of many different movies like Planet of the Apes and Star Wars Episode 5: The Empire Strikes Back.

Pretty sure Rouge has nothing to do with Catwoman, she's just a femme fatale, she may have the same pulp routes as catwoman but I doubt she's a reference to Catwoman herself.

The most obvious references to other series are the DBZ references (super Sonic, 7 emeralds etc.) and the Death Egg obviously being a reference to the Death Star from star wars.

That said, I don't really feel the DBZ stuff is a spoof, a spoof is a joking reference to another series but the sonic series doesn't really make any jokes. It's more of an affectionate nod I feel.

Therefore, even if Rouge is inspired by Catwoman, she's still not a spoof as she's not making any jokes about the character.

The Chao in space stuff and the death egg are definitely spoofs, slapping a giant moustache on the death egg isclearly intended to be humourous

Edited by Jake Bird

The Death Egg is often considered a play on the Death Star from Star Wars, along with the famous claim that Super Sonic is based upon the Super Saiyan form from Dragon Ball Z.

Chao in Space series are spoofs of many different movies like Planet of the Apes and Star Wars Episode 5: The Empire Strikes Back.

Ah yes, those posters in Sonic Adventure, right? They also re-appeared in the Speed Highway level of Sonic Generations - they may have even had some new ones!

Here's one: the final scene at the end of the Sonic movie was inspired by Terminator 2: Judgement Day. In response to Jake Bird, yeah, I guess this isn't really a spoof either. Unfortunately I can't think of another word that better describes "closely inspired by". Off to the thesaurus I guess! :D

I'll always remember this one from Unleashed. This is Yasmine's description, taken straight from the game:

A spirited girl who protects Shamar along with her younger sister, Samia. She can't seem to decide on a name for her team. Currently it's the "Pretty Committee to Preserve Peace in Shamar". Last week it was "Darling Defenders of the Shamaran Sands," while the week before it was "Full Mettle Shamalchemists!" Someone really needs to take her comic books away.

There's not a lot of actual spoofs in the series, but that's definitely one of them.

Edited by Blue Blood
  • Thumbs Up 5

Unfortunately I can't think of another word that better describes "closely inspired by". 

Homage?

Some time ago I came up with the idea that Shadow is a reference to an Alien. You know, he's black, badass, fast, born in space, there was a girl, and he dies, falling down from a ship.

It can be a reference to MGS1 and idea of perfect soldier as well.

Well if anything Rouge was inspired by Morrigan from Darkstalkers and was made into the generic femme fatale.

Morgan.png

I kind of see it but kind of don't because you know, Morrigan is too hot that she blinds me.

Well if anything Rouge was inspired by Morrigan from Darkstalkers and was made into the generic femme fatale.

*image*

I kind of see it but kind of don't because you know, Morrigan is too hot that she blinds me.

I doubt that SEGA got their inspiration of Rouge from that...

Edited by Sky The Destroyer

If you've played "Batman: Arkham City", then you'll get what I mean about Catwoman. And yes, I think homage is a better word to describe what I'm asking.

Sonic's greatest enemy is dressed in red, overweight and sports a very noticeable moustache.

Surely someone at SEGA noticed that?

• Thumbs Up 1

Oh yeah, another one; not really a spoof, but Knuckle's chest hair was originally going to be the Nike logo!

^He started off as a caricature of Theodore Roosevelt.

And that itself is a parody! But the final look suspiciously shares some main attributes with Mario.

And that itself is a parody! But the final look suspiciously shares some main attributes with Mario.

When you said dressed in red (as well as yellow) and sports a very noticeable moustache, I thought you referring to Stalin and the Soviets, hah. It's appropriate considering Sonic's most prominent colours; red, white and blue. =P

Edited by Pawn