Awoo.

Sonic Generations plot holes?

InfinityAlex

Hello, happy people! Welcome to Eggman's---Oh, fuck. Wrong script.

Anyway...Quite a few people have been bringing up that Generations has lots of plotholes and cannot fit into the timeline/continuity. The aim of this forum is to establish what plotholes there are, and then try and clear them up. However, this is NOT for bitching about continuity. I want this to be a calm, polite and adult debate. I'll do the best I can to try and clear up any plotholes, but anyone can provide answers really. After all, this is just fan speculation. Well, ask away!

Well for there to be plot holes there has to be a plot. One of the only things that held Generations back was it's bland narrative that barely even uses the 20 years of material they had. As far as keeping true to the current story line (is there even one at this point?)... eh, there aren't any real noticeable faults to me. Then again, this can almost directly be contributed to the lack of actual narrative.

I guess one could argue that Crisis City being there ruins some things but they did need to represent all of the main titles (yes even 06), Also, from what we did get out of the narrative it's time travel. It really comes down to the eye of the beholder at that point.

• Thumbs Up 1

The most notable one is that Blaze somehow remembers Crisis City, despite all the events of 06 being retconned. I always thought Sega was just trolling us on this one.

@JohnnyBoy

I guess that Crisis City was a memory trigger for Blaze, though I doubt she actually remembers the events of 06. Not that she would want to, mind...

• Thumbs Up 1

-Blaze and Silver coming not just from future or past, but from a different, cancelled time branch? And nobody's surprised?

-Early 1990's Sonic, Tails, and Eggman that after travel to differently designed game still look the same? It's like the world was grayscale before color film was invented, and every person from 1900s will be grayscale and blurry in today's reality.

Edited by crystallize

Classic Tails comes out of nowhere with no explanation given for his appearance.

Arguably, Sonic's line pertaining to SatSR is not 100% accurate as he wasn't exactly saving genies in that game. Unless you consider that either Sonic's saving of that storybook world is by extension saves genies or that his forced termination of Shahra's relationship with Erazor is saving her.

Crisis City is a curious plot hole. I can only speculate that an aspect of the Time Eater's power is to bring back areas that resulted from erased timelines and the character's tied to that iteration of the stage. This doesn't explain away Blaze's presence at the party though.

How the hell did Sonic's friends even get there when Modern Sonic and Classic Sonic were battling the Time Eater? That'd be nice to explain to me, because they pop right the fuck outta nowhere.

@crystalize

-Say wha--?

@Vertekins

-I assume Classic Tails just found his way into the White Space. It makes sense. Sonic had gone missing, so Tails decided to investigate this suspicious new location. How he actually came across it is another question altogether.

-By extension, yes.

-Blaze was able to get to Eggman's Interstellar Amusment Park using the Sol Emeralds in the DS version of Colours , so I imagine that she used the same method to get to Sonic's party, even if the portable versions of Colours and Generations aren't canon.

@FromASloth

-Seeing as Sonic's friends were already in White Space, it would have been easy for them to follow Sonic through the boss gate after he unlocked it.

• Thumbs Up 1

Robotnik couldn't trick him into joining him this game so he buried him deep underground. He spent the entirety of Generations digging back up to the surface. rolleyes.gif

• Thumbs Up 1

Okay, apologies for a copypasta post, but I've said this so many times before I simply can't be arsed to type it all out again;

Classic Sonic fucks up the canon and continuity so badly it's not even funny. Sorry, but I just don't buy the 'Classic Sonic grew into Modern Sonic as he aged' argument. It's bullshit. Puberty can do some crazy shit to people, but that takes the cake. You don't just develop an eye colour and have your eyelids outright change colour as you get older. Well, unless it's contacts and makeup. Are we supposed to believe that Sonic suddenly changed from Classic to Modern between S3&K and Sonic 4? And what about Eggman? You can't even argue that he 'grew up', since he's already an adult, and his Classic-Modern redesign is even more drastic.

The Classic-Modern design change back in 98 was a stylistic thing well beyond the fourth wall. It's not like the characters were self-aware of the fact they'd 'changed'; they behaved like they'd been like that all along. As far as I'm concerned (at least, until Generations), the Modern designs retconned the Classic ones out of existence. I know bringing them back in Generations was a nice nod, and I'm still glad they did, but my god does it screw up the continuity something impossible.

Well, either that or serious amounts of plastic surgery have occurred on most of the cast.

Classic Sonic (or any of the other classic characters) simply existing in-universe is a canon-destroying plot issue.
Edited by -Mark-

Okay, apologies for a copypasta post, but I've said this so many times before I simply can't be arsed to type it all out again;

Classic Sonic (or any of the other classic characters) simply existing in-universe is a canon-destroying plot issue.

Well, there is the possibility of "Classics" Sonic, Tails, and Eggman merely looking like the way they do to better differentiate the younger characters from their older, current selves in a nostalgia-inducing way.

Edited by Komodin
  • Thumbs Up 1

Well yeah, the entire thing is basically a nostalgia-fest, but in-universe it just makes no sense. 

Komodin's right, it's probably just to make them look consistent with the retro image and merch they like to tout alongside the modern stuff. In-universe, I'd wager that he looks different. 

@-Mark-, Kodimin and VEDJ-F

Basically, Sonic did some messed up shit during puberty, which explains his drunk controls 06, too! I imagine that Sonic's exposure to Chaos energy changed his eye colour (Super used to have green eyes, remember?), though I have no flimsy excuse for blue eyelids, apart from that "hedgehog puberty" caused hair to grow on his eye lids. Remember, that wouldn't actually be his skin colour.

As I said though, what about Eggman? You know, the guy who's likely in (at least) his fifties and had the most radical physical overhaul. D:

Simple :)

He started sagging so instead of being round, he became an egg shape :D

• Thumbs Up 1

Lemme think about that...I know! Due to all his running about trying to escape from Sonic at the end of the game, Eggman has actually gotten taller and less round. He decied to go for a different mustache style, as well as new glasses. :D

@-Mark-, Kodimin and VEDJ-F

Basically, Sonic did some messed up shit during puberty, which explains his drunk controls 06, too! I imagine that Sonic's exposure to Chaos energy changed his eye colour (Super used to have green eyes, remember?), though I have no flimsy excuse for blue eyelids, apart from that "hedgehog puberty" caused hair to grow on his eye lids. Remember, that wouldn't actually be his skin colour.

chaos exposure and stopped shaving his eyelids, stopped getting hair cuts. tongue.png

puberty is weird cause in the game universe he has always been and still is 15

Edited by Insane121

I say we shouldn't look too deep into generations, it was a game to represent the franchise, not the narrative continuity. 

not really, read the character bios, Blaze and Silver both came from their respective origins in this timelines, Blaze from Sol Dimension and Silver from the future,

The simple fact that Sonic from the past meets Sonic from the future, this pretty much screws all the continuity in the series.

Here's another plot hole.

Where's Classic Knuckles?

Seconded. I also raise you a Classic Amy. That buggered the ever living fuck out of me trying to figure out how they suggested/explained two versions of Sonic, Tails, and Eggman as Classics being the younger versions. Classic Amy was and is quite different visually from her Modern counterpart, yet they never alluded to it.

Edited by KittyNakajima