Awoo.

Sonic Generations for the 3DS

Solidus_Snake

Oh no that there is Dimps. All of Dimps handheld have had Sonic in the final level only. Plus it was until Colors that S. Sonic was playable outside of boss battles. Lost World 3DS might go that route as well 

Both episodes of Sonic 4 allow you to use Super Sonic in levels and if I remember correctly, don't let you use him in the final boss. Looking at that compared to their other games, it's kinda hilarious.

Every handheld game made by Dimps from I think Sonic Advance onwards has adhered to the same rigid structure: Seven zones of two acts each (only Advance 3 got three acts, as I recall it... maybe Colours DS), a boss for each zone, a special stage for each zone, a final boss, and an extra Super Sonic boss accessed by getting all of the Chaos Emeralds.  Also, since Rush Adventure, bonus missions - 100 each in Rush Adventure and Generations 3DS, but considerably fewer in Colours DS.  It's a reasonably effective formula, but it's getting pretty exhausted by now - and Generations 3DS was really showing the cracks, in that you just accessed the special stages from the level select like everything else.  Come to think of it, that's another area in which Generations 3DS was actually a downgrade from the DS titles and even the latter two GBA titles: No world map or hub areas, just a level select.  I fully expect Lost World 3DS to adhere to this formula, anyway, possibly with some signs of further polish given the time they've had to work on it.  At the very least it should be up to the quality of Rush Adventure, which they somehow haven't matched in the two titles since.

As to the point about the unmemorability of the handheld series... I take the point, but I think that there is quite probably a respectable proportion of the audience which owns only Nintendo consoles and which therefore never experienced many of the milestone titles used.  I genuinely think that a celebration of Sonic's handheld history would have been more relevant.  Leave the console history to the console title and let the handheld game celebrate some of the titles which were just as good but didn't get so much of the spotlight.  As it stands, the 3DS version felt redundant - especially since, in celebrating some of the same titles as the console version but with different levels, there was a sense of the "second best" in its level selections.  Or, better yet, not have rushed out a 3DS title for the anniversary year but given Dimps time to make an individual title again.

Edited by FFWF