Okay, channeling my inner journo.
xbox-analysis.jpg

•  
  • Console is called Xbox One
  • 8GB Ram
  • Blu ray player
  • Kinect2.0
  • Smartglass support
  • Features a new controller and Kinect- Kinect has 20-60 ms lag. It's down 20ms or something? lag is way improved.
  • Some guy said a whole lot of BS about the new kinect that as far as I can tell was completely bullshit.
  • EA is realeasing a fuckload of sports games.
  • Xbox has a strong focus on TV/Multimedia. They showed Windows 8 style docking of skype and a tv guide.
  • Within the demo, switching between a game, move and music was virtually instantaneous, much unlike the 360 requiring you to leave a game, or even like the Wii U. It took maybe a second to switch between movie, game and music, and all of them were in the state they were left in- ie: didn't have to be started again. Think like clicking through apps on a PC.
  • It has some form of Windows integrated in it alongside (?) the Xbox OS. This is probably where all the multitasking stuff is coming from.
  • 15 exclusive games- 8 of which are new IPs
  • Apparently the Kinect camera will recognize you and log you in when you pick up a pad
  • A Remedy game... something something dream. About a psychic girl and the apocalypse? had an alan wake style live action cutscene.
  • Forza 5 at launch
  • Cod Ghosts- now with extra dogs. Still looks like the shitty old engine with new tricks.
  • Halo TV series annouced. 
  • Always online neither confirmed nor denied.
  • Gamertag, score and profile are all transferrable.
  • Games are tied to your account (yes even boxed retail games!) There is a fee to unlock games for more than one account. Used games am cry. Capitalism has gone mad 
  • Traditional BC is not supported.  Wording was vague though. MS may have another method under wraps.

Aaaaaaand. That's about all I can remember. I'm really sorry about the format of this post. I played a drinking game.

If any other mods find important info feel free to edit this post xo

• Thumbs Up 1

Shit's going to sell amazingly with the dudebro audience, I can already tell.

This is ironic given how much ridecule it's getting from gamers already, I don't really know anyone who was overly impressed by that. But hey! The Wii happened, that got amazing sales despite its ridecule.

Maybe the exclusive franchises will turn out to be pretty cool, but with stuff like a used games paywall..? I'm hesitant to want one of these. 

(haha get it? one?)

For me... as it stands right now.

On the subject of TV stuff: They're trying to make out TV to be this over complicated thing, more over complicated than it actually is. Whilst yes, there are so many TV channels, more than I can navigate, I don't see why anything they've announced so far is innovative or different.

My Sky+ Box already does everything (except the voice recognition) that microsoft announced here.

The swtiching between the movie, game, music video. It's a nice feature but... I do not see the point. If I put a movie on, I intend to watch the whole movie. The game, I'll stop it at a point that makes sense. Music video, they're barely a few min long.

15 exclusive games- 8 of them new IPs Great... now... will these be out day 1... or will they be launch window games? If launch window games, not excited at all, as we've seen with Nintendos launch window, this can be several months to a year.

None of the games have me excited. Remedy's game could be cool. The console doesn't look great and the controller is ugly, but hopefully comfortable. 360's was almost perfect, besides the D-Pad and they seem to have fixed that. Kinect is huge. Like Murder-Weapon-Power-Cable huge.

Yeah TBH when I saw the Kinect I thought it was the XBOX itself and that microsoft were shooting for a digital only future.

After hearing how the used game system works, makes me wonder why they didn't. Certainly sounds like the same sort of stuff buying games DD on PC is like already. Except without the massive sales, and for no real reason other than to dick gamespot and the average used games consumer. Awful.

You better be able to play without the disc if the game is tied to your account, then. 

I started losing interest during the live event. Most of the features aren't going to be used by me at all.

Then to see Xbox are going to charge additional fees to play pre-owned games, despite showing shit for games...? http://www.computerandvideogames.com/407912/microsoft-confirms-pre-owned-fee-for-xbox-one/

Shit son, these 15 exclusive games better be good. Not really impressed.

15 exclusives and over half of them new IPs? That alone is reassuring (too many calls of "Xbox haz no gaemz"). Not really seeing huge potential for disaster here anymore.

• Thumbs Up 5

So they built it around a system that will actively foster retailers to sell the competing consoles instead.

Oops.

• Thumbs Up 8

So they built it around a system that will actively foster retailers to sell the competing consoles instead.

Oops.

ahh you don't need retailers to sell your console! Digital distribution is the future! we can just

oh wait

• Thumbs Up 3

15 exclusives and over half of them new IPs? That alone is reassuring (too many calls of "Xbox haz no gaemz"). Not really seeing huge potential for disaster here anymore.

While that does sound great and I hope to see them soon, the paywall/partial blocking for used games and lack of BC does dissuage me somewhat

EDIT: I'm hearing that Xbox stocks are plummeting, anyone know a source for this?

Edited by SuperLink

The next Xbox won't require an Internet connection to function, but could very well block used games, unless you feel like paying Microsoft some extra cash.

Wired got a look at Xbox One before today's big reveal, and they say that games will require installation to use. “On the new Xbox, all game discs are installed to the HDD to play,” Microsoft told them.

But games will be tied to an Xbox Live account, Wired reveals—or else you'd just be able to pass games around to everyone you know. And if you want to link a game to a second account, you'll have to pay a fee:

also asked what we've all been wondering: will the console be online-only? The answer: it depends.

So it's up to the developer. Some games may require an Internet connection; some may not. The future of always-online remains hazy.

The used-game block doesn't sound as bad as I expected, but it's still complete bullshit. You can't even play your own game on a friend's console. And I don't like that I
have
to install games. Curious to see the pricing, though.
Edited by MarcelloF
  • Thumbs Up 1

Speaking of price, the technology in this thing sounds very robust and impressive, and 300k servers powering Xbox Live? Built in and packaged Kinect?

How expensive is this thing going to be? Surely it's going to be more than an expensive PC with all the expensive sounding features it has? D:

Why do you have to install games? Isn't the drive fast enough to read the data? Or they are did this to purposely to stop used games?

You can't even play your own game on a friend's console. 

Yes you can. You just have to sign in with your own account to their XONE.

Edited by Ming Ming Suzy

googling Microsoft Stock says they've dropped almost 1%

Knowing nothing about the stockmarket, I cannot interpret or explain how bad that is but it happened, I guess. 

Seeing as Nintendo are up 2% and Sony 8% I guess that means MS is in the shit? Other factors of their business (windows, and in sony's case, their phones and TVs) could be effecting that. 

Googling Microsoft Stock says they've dropped almost 1%.

Googling Sony's stock shows that it jumped at around the same time.

970105_610268872319582_1123059051_n.png

That CoD dog gif is fucking hilarious. Love it.

• Thumbs Up 7

Yeah, after looking at that graph that's pretty fucking hillarious. That jump's huge. Almost as big as when the Xperia Z kicked them up. 

EA: "With new Xbox One technology, we can make better backgrounds for our sports games."

Activision:  "With new Xbox One technology, we can make Call of Duty look about as good as Crysis 3."

This is the future guys.

Edited by Nix

While that does sound great and I hope to see them soon, the paywall/partial blocking for used games and lack of BC does dissuage me somewhat.
I didn't get the memo on BC (although the 360 was pretty terrible in this regard anyway), or the blocking of used games behind a fee, but the latter makes me a Grumpy Greta. Me and my brother tend to have separate accounts on our consoles, soooo.... Yeah, that blows.

googling Microsoft Stock says they've dropped almost 1%

Knowing nothing about the stockmarket, I cannot interpret or explain how bad that is but it happened, I guess. 

Seeing as Nintendo are up 2% and Sony 8% I guess that means MS is in the shit? Other factors of their business (windows, and in sony's case, their phones and TVs) could be effecting that. 

I'm not going to pretend to be an expert in this, so I could be wrong but.

Imagine you had all the money microsoft had. This conference has cost you 1% of all that money.

Before anyone rushes to correct me, I know it's not as simple as that, but without trying to look up stock rules and what they mean, thats the VERY basic description.

And whilst you might think 1% isn't much. If you go by this old article. Microsofts total value is £247 Billion. So that one percent = £24,700,000.

It's not as simple as that. But that gives you the kind of idea as to how much damage this conference did to them. Whilst it's no uncommon for stock to fall for new hardware, it is quite shocking how that conference did that damage.

I know that SSMB isn't the most Xbox-centric community, and I realised I don't actually know that many Xbox supporters.

Does anyone know what reception is like in general? I.e. is there widespread positive reception on other parts of the internet? It'd be interesting to see how a little context and perspective can change a viewpoint is all.

I know that SSMB isn't the most Xbox-centric community, and I realised I don't actually know that many Xbox supporters.

Does anyone know what reception is like in general? I.e. is there widespread positive reception on other parts of the internet? It'd be interesting to see how a little context and perspective can change a viewpoint is all.

Everything opinion-based I've seen so far from Facebook and Twitter has been generally negative.