Awoo.

Xbox One Discussion

Remy

Oh, good, I finally caught up with the rest of y'all.

So... I take it that the reveal of this console was a fiasco, or is it still too early to say?

Considering the reactions of the general gaming online populace? It was an unmitigated disaster, I'd say.

What I can't find any info on is if cable providers will have to support the system or if existing set top boxes will work with it. I can't for the life of me imagine the first being the case, but you never know.

You can simply authorize your wife account when you lend her the games, it used to be better when you didn't had to do that crap, but it's not that complicated.

You wouldn't happen to have a source for that info, would you?

Yeah, I knew I was planning on getting the PS4 at some point...this just fucking cemented that deal from what I keep hearing about it. Not even jumping on this console.

Yeah, it's been posted before.

It's not "always online" but it might as fucking well be.

You honestly have to wonder what was going through these guys heads when they came up with half of these ideas for the Xbone. :/

Oh, good, I finally caught up with the rest of y'all.

So... I take it that the reveal of this console was a fiasco, or is it still too early to say?

I'll just say this is all that matters right now.

tumblr_mn5vdroT9w1r4s449o1_400.png

I hope this pic wasn't posted already. If this post gets deleted, may I use 20 likes to re-install it?

• Thumbs Up 5

Can I punch him instead? because he sounds like a Dudebro, and I fucking HATE dudebros.

by all means i approve

this console simply was a huge step down for Xbox they wanted to take a console people originally bought for games because that was what was on it. and turned it into a a smart TV. all i see is that it's for people who are way to lazy to turn off their consoles to watch TV and all the things they did to restrict the game Fan Base that started their consoles rise in the first place it's all just so idiotic.

Guys, I know we spent the past day ripping on the TV thing for the Xbone.

But I was watching Venture Brothers and American Dad just came on and I can't find the remote!

If I had an Xbone this too could have been avoided.

• Thumbs Up 2

Guys, I know we spent the past day ripping on the TV thing for the Xbone.

But I was watching Venture Brothers and American Dad just came on and I can't find the remote!

If I had an Xbone this too could have been avoided.

Thankfully I have iPhone 5 that has a DIRECTV app that lets me use my voice to change the channel or browse the list of channels on it. I can even watch the recorded stuff I have on the box on my iPhone anywhere. Score!

I'm sure the Nexus 7/Android has a similar app but never bothered to find out as I hardly carry it around.

If you missed the conference earlier (or would like to re-watch it), here's a video showing the highlights. Don't worry, you missed NOTHING in between these segments.

Here's the kicker (which most of you probably forgot) is that you still need Xbox Live Gold! I mean really?

Here's the kicker (which most of you probably forgot) is that you still need Xbox Live Gold! I mean really?

... Please don't tell me they're actually axing Xbox Live Silver/Free...

For real for real?

might as well be i guess seeing how much this thing might drain some people's wallets i guess

... Please don't tell me they're actually axing Xbox Live Silver/Free...

For real for real?

In the conference, they said that your current Gold subscriptions will transfer so yes Gold will be returning for XONE. But I don't know if they will be axing Silver/Free.

I'm guessing that you still need to have Gold for Skype, online multiplayer and Netflix.

So, I was pretty busy today taking a plane ride and visiting family, so I didn't really get a chance to look into this until now.

I'm not really liking this "new Microsoft."  Frankly, it's becoming more obnoxious than Apple.  It's really trying to force it's own vision of what the future looks like, and fuck you if you aren't willing to go along with it.  "The start menu is too efficient and straightforward, let's try using obtrusively large colorful rectangles instead.  Flailing your arms and talking to nobody doesn't make you feel like an idiot at all, so let's make that integral to our next interface."

Virtually everything presented here was fluff.  A flashy new navigation UI is worthless if there's nothing worth navigating to.  I want to see something the Xbox One can do that the 360 clearly can't.  The N64 blew the SNES out of the water, the PS2 made the PS1 look like crap.  Unfortunately, all we're seeing now is diminishing returns.  Sidegrades instead of upgrades.  I'm wishing the Wii U came out later so that Sony and Microsoft had more time to work on these consoles before having their hands forced; both of their reveals felt very rushed and desperate.

• Thumbs Up 2

Well.  I know I won't be buying a Xbox One anytime soon knowing what I have seen.  Yes I did watch the showcase.

I'm wishing the Wii U came out later so that Sony and Microsoft had more time to work on these consoles before having their hands forced; both of their reveals felt very rushed and desperate.

But surely given that each generation is about 5 or 6 years, they've had more than enough time to prepare for 8th gen regardless of what Nintendo did or didn't do?

They had plenty of time, yeah. There's really no excuse for being unprepared, and I doubt Microsoft would have different plans if they waited a bit longer anyway.

• Thumbs Up 1

But surely given that each generation is about 5 or 6 years, they've had more than enough time to prepare for 8th gen regardless of what Nintendo did or didn't do?

In the past maybe, but Sony and Microsoft seemed intent on taking this generation for the long haul.  The PS3 and 360 felt more like living room PCs than classically defined game consoles, relying more than ever on firmware upgrades, accessories and downloadable content to stay popular and strong.  I recall Sony saying they wanted the PS3 generation to last for 10 years and it was pretty evident Xbox was using the Kinect to draw out the 360's life span.  I'm sure if it were entirely up to them they would have stayed focused on the PS3 and 360 at least until 2015.