Awoo.

Xbox One Discussion

Remy

I'm not entirely convinced that the "separate TV add-on" isn't just referring to your cable box or satellite receiver, though. It already has HDMI in, an ethernet jack and an IR port. Can't really imagine what else it would need.

Wouldn't that make the TV feature even more redundant? And even harder to work in regions that aren't US? People don't really normally have cable or satellite in Europe, it's far more of a luxury than something people take for granted :S

I'm not entirely convinced that the "separate TV add-on" isn't just referring to your cable box or satellite receiver, though. It already has HDMI in, an ethernet jack and an IR port. Can't really imagine what else it would need.

If you look at the back of the XONE with all the ports, it's missing a few ports a cable box would have.

Well, it would need someone to actually buy the console for a start.

I'm joking. I know we're all laughing it up, but seriously can see this taking off.

In other news, we have a new opinon poll courtesy of the cesspool that is DigitalSpy.

dsopp.png

Edited by Blue Blood

Wouldn't that make the TV feature even more redundant? And even harder to work in regions that aren't US? People don't really normally have cable or satellite in Europe, it's far more of a luxury than something people take for granted :S

If the idea is to just run everything through your Xbone (which seems to be Microsoft's point), then no. What Microsoft seems to be trying to do is make the system as ubiquitous as a VCR (lololololol) or external DVR, where you run your equipment through it instead of running it straight to the TV and can access all of the features of your satellite receiver or cable box directly from the Xbone (as well as being able to use the voice commands and arm movements to control it with Kinect). Basically like an advanced version of what Windows Media Center already allows if you run your similar equipment directly into a home theater PC.

As far as the European market, Microsoft did already say that the TV features wouldn't be available there at launch, so they might have plans to partner with a media company in Europe to make the Xbone compatible with whatever is used there. The IR port is most certainly included more for the European market then the American one, though I have no belief that the system will actually sell in that market on the basis of the TV features.

If you look at the back of the XONE with all the ports, it's missing a few ports a cable box would have.

Which is why you'd still need a cable box to actually get the video signal to then run into the Xbone.

Welp, Xbox One has received mostly negative reception. "U" should not care "4" "One".

• Thumbs Up 5

If there is any positive about the Xone, I certainly think the controller looks awesome. Putting feedback on the triggers is freaking brilliant.

• Thumbs Up 4

If there is any positive about the Xone, I certainly think the controller looks awesome. Putting feedback on the triggers is freaking brilliant.

Agreed, I really wanna try one, hopefully they'll make them for PC gaming so I have an excuse to use it regularly :3 even better if the D-Pad is good now.

Agreed, I really wanna try one, hopefully they'll make them for PC gaming so I have an excuse to use it regularly :3 even better if the D-Pad is good now.

Credit where credit is due, sure. But could it seriously have been any worse?

Credit where credit is due, sure. But could it seriously have been any worse?

Yeah I think so ._. controller quality throughout the industry is erratic, the 360 pad was already quite good so they could have done something daft, or they could have scrapped the D-Pad completely! Given MS' focus on games, I wouldn't have been surprised to see the D-Pad go.

Edited by SuperLink

So my brother has weeded through all the memes and nonsense himself, and this is how he explained the used games debacle to me:

Gamer A buys a game and installs it on his console to play. Gamer B wants to borrow the game. Since games are tied to one account, Gamer B either has to, 1.) Buy the full version when that disk is placed in, or 2.) Wait for Gamer A to actually delist the game from his account so the system assumes that the game is in a "New" state again. Therefore Gamer B can play without actually buying it.

In essence, Microsoft is treating the actual data as the "game," not the disk itself, and this is ultimately a difference in semantics. For example, if you let your friend borrow any other media, like a movie or a book, you yourself can't enjoy it simultaneously unless you've made a copy of that media already, because there's only one instance of that media between the two of you.

Okay, I get that, but... my fucking hang-up with it all is the mandatory installs on consoles. By installing the game on your consoles, isn't there effectively two iterations of the game now out there in some form? Because the two installs on the separate consoles still actually exist as data now. To me, they're just locking one out... It's... stupid. Like, I get it, but still, it's... just stupid to me.

It's not a difference in semantics. It's a fundamental difference in the ownership rights of the end user. You can do nothing with a game on the Xbone without Microsoft's permission.

• Thumbs Up 5

It's not true force feedback, it's just rumble.

Well, well.

This sure does get worse all the time.

Still, I guess when E3 comes along, we'll be the ones laughing again. Better than Microsoft laughing at us, I suppose.

It's not true force feedback, it's just rumble.

I heard someone say something like "force feedback could maybe happen if the developer wants it"?

Sessler's impressions on it seemed quite good.

Been posted, but seriously who the hell does that guy look like? Oh shit...

He's an old Shawn Graham! I knew he looked familiar!

graham.jpg

Edited by SkyLlama

So can I ask what "force feedback" is?

It's the idea that the trigger will push back against your finger during certain points of gameplay or become harder to press all the way down? So say if you used it to swipe a sword, maybe it'd bounce back up quicker or stop early if it hit something.

I guess something like that. Would be cool, not sure how feasible it all is.

Eh, the idea of force feedback on the triggers seem kinda... iffy.

I mean, steering wheels with force feedback makes it feel you're actually wrestling to get the car to turn, just like real life. But on triggers I don't think it would feel right. It might feel like it's jammed.

Sam Lake addresses Alan Wake fans.

Next big game from Remedy is Quantum Break, not Alan Wake 2.
- Understands this is a surprise and disappointment to some fans.
- Tried to make a sequel happen after Alan Wake.
- Require the right partners and funding. Wish to just make "cool stuff" and not worry about money, but that's not reality.
- Alan Wake was not a huge hit on day one. Has done well since then, a "cult classic".
- Franchise has moved more than 3 million copies.
- Due to not moving a lot of units straight away, they couldn't get a sequel off the ground.
- Figured they could have gone and made something Alan Wake related, but it would have been less ambitious and would not have done justice to the original.
- Quantum Break a new IP, bigger than anything they've created before. Learned from Max Payne and Alan Wake.
- "The ultimate Remedy experience."
- Want to make more Alan Wake, but need to make sure the time is right.

Humble Alan Wake Bundle announced.
- http://www.humblebundle.com/weekly
- One week. Alan Wake Collector's Edition + Alan Wake: American Nightmare for whatever you want to pay.
- Exclusive video, behind the scene content, screenplays, etc.