Awoo.

Xbox One Discussion

Remy

Regarding the dpad

If it's still that stupid fucking "dpad shaped thingy screwed to a disc" thing, the controller can piss off too.

• Thumbs Up 2

Regarding the dpad

If it's still that stupid fucking "dpad shaped thingy screwed to a disc" thing, the controller can piss off too.

It's not...it's a 4-way D-Pad.

At least the controller looks alright.

Looks pretty similar to the original with a few obvious changed.  It looks like they improved the D-pad. Good, since the 360's D-pad is terrible.

The two things that interested me during the whole reveal were; this gamepad (it does look rather sexeh...) and that they used Prague as a backdrop for the Forza 5 trailer.

That was really nice, but yeah... not interested in racing games. *folds arms*

It's not...it's a 4-way D-Pad.

Do we know this for sure?

This is how the 360 dpad works, including the "improved version" (at least from reviews of I've seen anyways):

Untitled_zps4c2534a8.png

And it sucks. I seriously hope they don't do this this time.

• Thumbs Up 2

What if all this controversy and awful-ness is an intentional way to get attention that MS will steadily backpedal over in the next few months in order to maximise attention to their improvements and end up with a system everyone likes the sound of and it was their plan all along, the most elaborate and controversial viral marketing campaign in console history?!?!?

• Thumbs Up 2

Do we know this for sure?

This is how the 360 dpad works, including the "improved version" (at least from reviews of I've seen anyways):

Untitled_zps4c2534a8.png

And it sucks. I seriously hope they don't do this this time.

Well, here is a video of the Xbox One's controller up close and personal.

It definitely looks 4-way (like Nintendo's D-pad) to me.

Another thing I've been thinking about. That rumor about hooking up a mini-360 to enable backwards compatibility for the new console is not happening, sure, but that idea is basically the same if you keep your 360. Since the Xbox One and the Xbox 360 will share the same account and everything, if you keep your 360 then you can still earn achievements from Xbox 360 and Xbox One games on the same profile...so backwards compatibility is not really an issue IMO (unless you're extremely hard pressed for space.)

Edited by KrazyBean

HOLY SHIT! Has this been posted yet!?

Don Mattrick: If you’re backwards compatible, you’re really backwards.

Source: http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2013/05/22/microsoft-and-sony-diverge-on-gaming-cloud/?utm_source=buffer&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Buffer&utm_content=buffer94b3f

Or as our good friend Adam Orth would put it if he still had his job:

Upset that there's no backwards compatibility?

Obama-Deal-With-It.jpg

Microsoft Xbox One: Because we didn't troll our consumers hard enough with Windows 8.

Edited by -Knuckles The Echidna-
  • Thumbs Up 1

I'd like to take this moment to sincerely apologise to anyone and everyone I've teased about the XBox pessimism in the months leading up to this. This was a deal-breaker. Even with its lack of backwards compatibility, the PS4 at least isn't trying to impress me with something I already own - a fucking TV. At least Sony isn't automatically assuming every customer is a pirate who must be kept on a tight leash. At least the new Playstation's lack of backwards compatibility isn't being delivered with an outright insult to my face.

Fuck you, Microsoft.

• Thumbs Up 3

What if all this controversy and awful-ness is an intentional way to get attention that MS will steadily backpedal over in the next few months in order to maximise attention to their improvements and end up with a system everyone likes the sound of and it was their plan all along, the most elaborate and controversial viral marketing campaign in console history?!?!?

Hahaha I was almost wondering this myself. I think a part is game companies just try and see if they can put as much shit out and there and hope it will slide under the radar of controversy, and when it doesn't then they actually have to go back and adapt their shit to reality. 

It's strange to see so many people jumping back on the PS4 wagon though since I remember the reception for that being so overwhelming negative. 

Hahaha I was almost wondering this myself. I think a part is game companies just try and see if they can put as much shit out and there and hope it will slide under the radar of controversy, and when it doesn't then they actually have to go back and adapt shit to reality. 

It's strange to see so many people jumping back on the PS4 wagon though since I remember the reception for that being so overwhelming negative.

I would have called the PS4 reception "mixed" rather than negative, mostly because it left a ton of questions unanswered. That and Sony has a habit of promising a lot of things that sound too good to be true, only for it to fall flat on it's face. PS3 and Vita are some notorious examples. They're hitting the right buttons with PS4 so far but I'm skeptical for such a wide variety of reasons.

• Thumbs Up 2

Dunno about you guys but I have absolutely no interest in purchasing any of the Wii U, PS4, or Xbox One. Doesn't help that I don't play video games as it is, but yeah. None of them are interesting to me. I'm gonna go into this generation with just my 3DS, and I think I'm fine with that. I can play Pokémon, what more could I need?

Don Mattrick: If you’re backwards compatible, you’re really backwards.

So why did they make it a VCR, then?

Edited by Thigolf
  • Thumbs Up 6

I want to say something real quick to get this off my mind:

In the off chance that all of these reports are bullshit, it's still unacceptable that Microsoft aren't taking any form of damage control

That's helpful. That's Bing.

Because It's Not Google - The Enterprise of bringing bad search results to all.

I'm trying to figure out why no one has made a Soulja boy tell 'em joke about Nancy Tellem yet.

jRBkSQjDzECwe.jpg

Oh shit, I just lost it. Seriously cannot hold back my laughter right now.

• Thumbs Up 3