Awoo.

"You might as well lie down and DIE!": The Hardest Bosses in Sonic

Spin Attaxx

The death egg zone boss in Sonic 2. It's bad enough as Sonic due to a lack of rings, but it's absolute hell fighting that boss as Knuckles because he can't jump as high as Sonic can. Long story short, you really need to stay on your toes more than ever when your fighting this thing with Knux.

Lancelot Returns (SatBK)

hqdefault.jpg

Clearing it? Average difficulty.

Getting a 5 star mastery rating? HOLY SHIT!

He's is cheap. Plain and simple. He has the ability to pull-off his Chaos Blast within a second or so notice and there is nothing in Sonic's repetoire be it item, ability or style that can penetrate that red barrier it produces for the duration that it is active. He also has the ability to fire-off Chaos spears and his AI is quite high, being on the defensive whenever you try and get attacks in.

To get a 5 star mastery rating, this requires a perfectly pulled-off mixture of anticipating his moves, defending against them, getting a hit in edgewise and making sure you do all of this in a timely manner. Easier said than done. It demands a decent mastery of pressing your attacks and defending, something that is not often demanded of you throughout the rest of the game. It stands-out because of that.

Maybe I'm just a wimp, but I found just clearing it to be HOLY SHIT. tongue.png

Yeah, he's just balls out cheap. I can say that I pretty much only beat him by getting some very lucky hits in.

I don't know which was harder. Sonic 2's Death Egg boss or Sonic 4: Episode I's remake of it in E.G.G. Station Zone.

On one hand, Sonic 2's DE boss has you fighting against Silver Sonic first, and for the entire zone you have no rings. One wrong move and you're toast. And god help you if you're playing as Knuckles, who has a lower jump height and thus makes attempts to clear the damn thing even harder than normal. But the amount of hits you have are small to defeat it, and no surprises are pulled throughout the level.

On the other hand, Sonic 4: Episode I hiked up the amount of hit points and gave the boss a Turned Red mode that made it nigh-invunerable to damage and required you to disable it first before being able to hit it. Sonic 4 also allowed the machine to move crazier and shoot fireballs all over the place and pull a last-ditch move in which you literally had to attack it at the right moment or die a la Sonic Adventure's Egg Viper. There is also the Untouchable trophy which requires you to do a no damage run of the entire zone-so you had to beat this boss as well as the previous bosses prior to it without getting hit in order to get the trophy. But there are about 30 rings in the zone you can collect prior to facing the boss as well as a checkpoint just before it (with three rings to the right of it), so you don't have too much to lose.

I'd probably have to go with the original Sonic 2 boss, if only because you don't have the benefit of lives being handed out to you like candy as well as the prevalence of save states in Sonic 2 like how Sonic 4 does. But the Sonic 4 boss is pretty challenging too. If it didn't have rings lying about, I would had safely said that it was harder than the original.

Edited by Yeow
  • Thumbs Up 1

0.jpg

Man! The 2nd King Arthur boss fight was a major pain in the butt! First off, one of his attack have him doing this laser attack and for the life of me, I never figured out how to dodge it! I think you have to somehow run through it to dodge, but I'm never gonna know because this boss was annoying!

In order to even get a chance to attack him, you need to attack these red orbs to full up your Soul Gauge (I think that was the name for it), but the problem is, it take FOREVER to full it up! And you better do it while you're running because if you slow down and take your time, Kind Arthur gonna come after you and hit you!

After you full up your Soul Gauge, you need to use it in the AIR, and Yes, I mean in the AIR because when you use it on the ground, Sonic just go really fast to catch up to him, but 95% of the time, You just gonna waste the half of the gauge because Sonic took forever to reach him, so after that, you need to parry his attacks, so you just need to shake the wii remote at the right time, pretty simple? Too bad the Wii Remote is freaking crappy when playing this game!! If you just move it a tiny bit, Sonic just attack and misses, so the boss can just get really cheap hits off of you because the Remote is too overly sensitive...

• Thumbs Up 1

Heh heh... I'm gonna have FUN with this one.

I have two categories: completion and perfection. I'll stick with completion for now. There are bosses that should be obvious at this point: the original Death Egg Robo for example. But I'll begin with one that seemed to slip under the radar.

One of the hardest bosses I've had to face when I first played it and still do? This fucker right here:

Egg-Go-Round ( SAdv. 2)

Tbz_boss.png

This is the sixth boss in the game, There are four platforms that move in a clockwise direction: two normal grey ones, and two yellow - and - black "caution" ones. There are lights in the middle of each that signify what action they will do. If it's blue, then they're normal. If their red,the "special" platforms shoot up spikes. Wanna know the worst part of this bit? The AI will randomly rotate them, forcing you off the platform right when you're close enough to hit him.

Now, this isn't too bad when it first plays. The first few hits aren't too bad. But the last few... here the suffering really begins.

I didn't mention it yet, but Eggman's capsule isn't completely defenseless. The AI will fire a small laser every 5 or 6 seconds in the direction you're running.

Doesn't sound bad yet? Picture this. You're chasing after the boss and jump on one of the platforms. Whoops! They spin out, and you fall to the ground. Right when it happens, the laser hits you! You're out of rings. You have only two options left: risk getting KO'd waiting for more rings to show up, or try to jump to a platform. Maybe you choose the latter. You go for the grey? Well too bad! A "special"  platform appears, spikes at the ready.

Unless I pick Cream and cheese this boss to death, shit like this happens. The AI is just evil, and it only gets worse in the boss rush from XX Zone despite it taking a two less hits to kill. I hit 4 or 5 game overs when I first played this boss. I don't do that bad now, but I still occasionally lose lives to it. It's the only boss that I despise in this game.

• Thumbs Up 4

Do you want to see unpredictable what about Solaris, do you know how unpredictable he is, w/the lasers, those lasers in phase 2 are near undodgeable, you can try to switch characters again and again, but OMG, then there's the fact that if you die you start all over from phase 1. Oh and getting an S rank is random, the first time I played this I S ranked it, the second time...not so much, and the 3rd and final time yes.

Heh heh... I'm gonna have FUN with this one.

I have two categories: completion and perfection. I'll stick with completion for now. There are bosses that should be obvious at this point: the original Death Egg Robo for example. But I'll begin with one that seemed to slip under the radar.

One of the hardest bosses I've had to face when I first played it and still do? This fucker right here:

Egg-Go-Round ( SAdv. 2)

Tbz_boss.png

This is the sixth boss in the game, There are four platforms that move in a clockwise direction: two normal grey ones, and two yellow - and - black "caution" ones. There are lights in the middle of each that signify what action they will do. If it's blue, then they're normal. If their red,the "special" platforms shoot up spikes. Wanna know the worst part of this bit? The AI will randomly rotate them, forcing you off the platform right when you're close enough to hit him.

Now, this isn't too bad when it first plays. The first few hits aren't too bad. But the last few... here the suffering really begins.

I didn't mention it yet, but Eggman's capsule isn't completely defenseless. The AI will fire a small laser every 5 or 6 seconds in the direction you're running.

Doesn't sound bad yet? Picture this. You're chasing after the boss and jump on one of the platforms. Whoops! They spin out, and you fall to the ground. Right when it happens, the laser hits you! You're out of rings. You have only two options left: risk getting KO'd waiting for more rings to show up, or try to jump to a platform. Maybe you choose the latter. You go for the grey? Well too bad! A "special"  platform appears, spikes at the ready.

Unless I pick Cream and cheese this boss to death, shit like this happens. The AI is just evil, and it only gets worse in the boss rush from XX Zone despite it taking a two less hits to kill. I hit 4 or 5 game overs when I first played this boss. I don't do that bad now, but I still occasionally lose lives to it. It's the only boss that I despise in this game.

God I hate this guy, I'm on him right now and everytime I swear its as if the game hates me when it makes me randomly do sonic's jump dash and if it wasn't for that I would have beaten him at least twice by now.

Edited by megadude001

Sir Lancelot Returns in Sonic and the Black Knight, I've honestly thought hard about this, and he's got to be the hardest I've played in the Sonic Games.

Twinkle Snow's boss is downright horrible.  The objective is to jump on platforms and have them fall onto Eggman's head, so it should be easy enough right?

The first problem is that your suspended over a bottomless pit for the entire the fight and there are no safety nets to help you recover.  You miss the relatively small platform when you jump?  You die.  Eggman hits you?  You die.  You have to hit him about... 6-8 times(?), and not every platform is going to hit him (though your brain-dead partner make get in a cheap shot when they inevitably plummet to their death).  It's terribly unforgiving and let's not forget that you're playing Sonic Advance 3. so you're (or at least, I was) fighting against the game's rather finicky controls the whole way through.

Edited by Pinkie Pie
  • Thumbs Up 1

SKY CANYON.

There's two ways of killing this bastard wheel thing, and neither of them are easy. The really unpredictable laser will cause much ire, especially in pinch mode, where it kind of homes in on you but the hit box is wonky, while the hand protects the cockpit more, and you can only hit it from above too. This is a bitch to try and avoid both attacks. If you destroy the laser, the hand starts doing other movements where it can OHKO you or provide such a good protection period for the boss that half the time the bloody cockpit wheels round you are cockblocked by the hand!

The whole running boss thing just makes all the Advance 2 bosses much more aggravating than they needed to be, with the exception of the final boss where you're fighting that mech and it's a still boss therefore being perhaps the most piss easy boss in the game. True Area 53, on the other hand, is a doozy, but at least it's not totally within "that one boss" territory...

Edited by Semi-colon e

Cyber Track's boss is the absolute worst.  Your partner is always working directly against you.  It's like one of those bosses that wouldn't be so bad if you only had one person but the fact that you're forced to do it with two really makes it more frustrating than it should be. Your partner's always either hitting the balls before you or bouncing them into you or knocking them away from Eggman.  All of Sonic Advance 3's bosses are a pain, but that one is not only difficult, but just plain tedious.

TL;DR - Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaggggggggh.

maxresdefault.jpg

This boss frustrated me so much. It was so fun and easy in the Wii version. In the 360 version, it was just brutal and frustrating. The first time I really wanted to shut off a Sonic game.

• Thumbs Up 5

I hated Dark Gaia as well.

Hmm... Oh! Metal Sonic in Sonic the Fighters. That guy was a pain in the butt!

Edited by Robotgamma

Blaze/Sonic and the Altitude Limit boss in Rush.

A button broken. 'Nuff said.

Edited by InfinityAlex
  • Thumbs Up 1

Cyber Track's boss is the absolute worst.  Your partner is always working directly against you.  It's like one of those bosses that wouldn't be so bad if you only had one person but the fact that you're forced to do it with two really makes it more frustrating than it should be. Your partner's always either hitting the balls before you or bouncing them into you or knocking them away from Eggman.  All of Sonic Advance 3's bosses are a pain, but that one is not only difficult, but just plain tedious.

TL;DR - Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaggggggggh.

Really? Which partner combo gives you the most trouble on it? I always stick to Sonic and Tails and I beat this thing in less than a minute.

Really? Which partner combo gives you the most trouble on it? I always stick to Sonic and Tails and I beat this thing in less than a minute.

Sonic and Tails primarily, but every other partner combination kind of resulted in the same shenanigans.  It's like I'd have the ball heading straight for Eggman and then Tails or whomever would rush up to make sure it changes direction at the last second.

Another boss I hate is (pre-Darkspine Sonic) Erazor Dijinn on Secret Rings.  That's the only part of the game I'll admit had terrible control.  I could shake the Wii Remote all day and absolutely nothing would happen.  Of course, there's also the possibility that I'm just very bad at the boss, but the many times I did play it, I never felt like there was anything I could do to improve.  Also, it's a terrible boss sequence to begin with because it seems to focus more on... waiting... and scripted running and... it's just not a very good boss.  It's a huge blemish on a game that I otherwise really enjoy despite the generally negative consensus surrounding the game.

Edited by Akito

Cyber Track's boss is annoying to S rank, mostly because the boss ending stuff takes so long and they don't bother to stop the ingame timer. That said, use Sonic and Knuckles, Sonic's super slide and his insta-shield work wonders.

When it comes down to it, Dark Gaia is one of the hardest Sonic bosses, in every single way this isn't a good hard, but a frustrating hard. It takes forever, the QTEs are obnoxious, Super Sonic handles like complete ass, the rings are almost impossible to get, and the running sequences are annoying.

Fuck the boss of Episode 1, its....HORRIBLE.

Which one? Are you talking about the Death Egg Robo fight, or a different boss?