Awoo.

"You might as well lie down and DIE!": The Hardest Bosses in Sonic

Spin Attaxx

maxresdefault.jpg

This boss frustrated me so much. It was so fun and easy in the Wii version. In the 360 version, it was just brutal and frustrating. The first time I really wanted to shut off a Sonic game.

Agreed, fighting with Super Sonic was awesome, but with Gaia Colossus was a true pain in the ass.

*ahem* Actually, there is no S - Rank in the Advance games. Just medals in Advance 3.

Oh whoops, I knew that but I just say S rank because it's so autopiloted, I even nearly do it when referring to say SA2 which only goes up to A rank ._.

Sonic 2's Giant Egg Robo is hard? Maybe its cause I've beaten it so many times but its pretty simple as long as your not in any great rush doing a speed run. Silver Sonic before hand is a cake walk, 14 seconds and he's toast by using the spin dash trick.

With Knuckles its a bit harder cause of his jump height but again take it slow and its easy to do, and again even with him Silver Sonic goes down in around 14 seconds if that. I find Episode 1's more annoying, but only because of the very last attack that seems random, the actual fight itself before that is easier than the original tho, he has a very distinct pattern even more so than the original.

I'm with you guys on the handhelds tho, a lot of bosses on the handheld games are far tougher than the console games. I do remember hating the Egg Emperor on Heroes tho...can't remember why tho >.<

Does SRB2 count? Because I'd like to nominate Brak Eggman.

srb20018.png

How's this for a boss? One that has no obvious weak spots, can glue you to the spot and bodyslam you inescapably, and you get one ring in a low gravity map which becomes really hard to recollect if you lose it. Okay, fair enough, I've killed bosses before with much less. Except the means of damaging this boss are made of concentrated, undistilled dumb. You can only damage it by making it hit itself. How do you do that? By jumping over its head. Not on its head, over it, so that it tries to swing at you but hits itself on its own head. While it's bad enough that the boss is literally that fucking stupid and there's absolutely no indication that this should be possible, there's a very slim margin of error involved - literally pixels worth, and if you miss it and bump into Eggman instead you take damage and almost inevitably fall into the deathpit behind you.

Oh, then it gets worse. The only place where Eggman is low enough to jump over is on the centre platform. Which he blows up after he takes a certain amount of damage. Which probably leaves you thinking "well crap, what the hell am I supposed to do now"...

You have to jump on his missles, and steer them into him.

YOU HAVE TO JUMP INTO HIS FUCKING MISSLES. THEY ARE GODDAMNED EXPLODING PROJECTILES THAT WILL LOGICALLY DAMAGE YOU ON ANY OTHER OCCASION WHO IN THEIR RIGHT CUNTING MIND WOULD EVEN CONSIDER PUTTING THEMSELVES IN HARM'S WAY DELIBERATELY MUCH LESS THINK THIS IS AN APPROPRIATE WAY TO DEFEAT A BOSS STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID

As far as actual Sonic games are concerned, I think Sonic Spinball's final boss is the only other one I still regularly have trouble with. None of the bosses in this game can directly kill you (unless you count the Lava Powerhouse boss and its one way ticket to a lava bucket if you fall past the flippers), but Eggman is unique in that it's virtually impossible to tell when he's actually open to attack. He has two layers of defence, one that dumps you into the gutters and one that literally just throws you out the fucking window and into god knows what below - the switch to disable both of these is offscreen right on the bottom of his quarters, so you can't actually see his defences being turned off, and the messages it leaves are incredibly cryptic. And even if you do manage to turn them both off at once, they're re-enabled after a certain period of time, so it's impossible to tell if you actually did anything right sometimes.

Oh, and did I mention that the level preceding him is absolutely exhausting to open up? Nearly all the pathways leading up to Eggman depend on an incredibly narrow offscreen shot to a switch that destroys one of an assortment of girders, which previously guarded an emerald necessary to get to the boss. You have to break all those girders again if you die, even if there's no longer an emerald there. Most of the time I didn't even run out of lives when fighting Eggman - I just said "fuck that shit" because I was tired of being forced to jump through hoops just to get back to him. I'm honestly glad that I've been able to beat him without savestates, so I really have nothing left to prove with this game as far as I'm concerned.

• Thumbs Up 1

The only boss that gives me trouble to this day is indeed the final boss from Sonic Rush, for the same reasons.

It starts easy enough, but the phases to deal damage could be missed if you fail in hitting the hand first, or fall from the arm if you didn't crouch at time. Losing a turn just drags the battle more.
Add to that the diversity of attacks it has, which requires precision and patience (in the case of these lightning attacks) to dodge.
Being hit would cost you a lot if you didn't manage the rings well, and by that I mean, saving rings for later.

Really a tough fight. For being a final boss, it does the job right though.

Honorable mention goes to the Sonic 2 bosses, MS and GG ver. No rings allowed! A simple mistake and you're done.
Once you play it the patterns aren't hard to notice, so it makes them tolerable, but you have to be careful anyway and know when to hit at the right time.

Oh, come on. Even on normal mode, that boss is a cakewalk. The only thing which is even remotely difficult is making sure you don't get shaken off, even then he gives you 1 or 2 more chances.

I'm with cyclone on this one, I found that boss particularly hard, especially the fact that you had to fight it twice! (One with a particularly fetching purple colour scheme ;))

It's mostly the electrical charges that kill me, the ones that appear and then disappear really quickly, although the one that follows you is a pain if it moves fast because i swear you only have like 2 or 3 pixels room to manoeuvre :/

I'm surprised no one said this: Metropolis Zone boss. It's so hard to find a clear opening with this boss. I actually had to sacrifice and recollect my Rings with this boss. And as if Metropolis Zone wasn't hard enough they throw this boss into the mix.

I agree with others here on this one. You have already listed some of the bosses I feel are some of the hardest.

Sonic 2's Final area is hard mainly due to the lack of rings and how its easy to run out of lives if you mess up too much, making you have to redo the entire game over again when you are stuck in the final area with no way to try and replinish.

Dark Gaia is pretty much the same problem. You are stuck in an incredibly long level that has like six or more phases and you only have so many lives to use and only so many places where you can pick up more. Once they are all gone, back to the beginning again. The robot section being the hardest part, mainly due to not everything being dodgable but knowing when to block and when to run for the opening. I did get rather good at  unleashed for awhile when I went for all the achievements in the game and got them, but I'm sure I'm not as good anymore at that.

Those are the ones I feel are the hardest. I'm sure th rush one is hard too, but its been so long since I played rush to fully remember it.

Oh, come on. Even on normal mode, that boss is a cakewalk. The only thing which is even remotely difficult is making sure you don't get shaken off, even then he gives you 1 or 2 more chances.

Internet law #761: No matter what video game challenge is listed as difficult somebody will protest that it's super-easy.

Because subjective experiences are objective experiences.

Personally I've never been able to get through an electricity round without losing rings.

I'm going to seem incredibly incompotent, but I can't believe I haven't mentioned... wait for it...

The first boss on the Game Gear version of Sonic 2.

The first boss.

Ahem, the VERY FIRST BOSS on the Game Gear version of Sonic 2.

You know how in most games, they make the first boss kind of easy and then they get progressively harder as you go?  Not in this game!  In this game, they literally throw you onto an unfamiliar terrain--a diagonal slope--with a squid (or a crab?) that kills you if you touch it at the bottom and balls with impeccible accuracy that you have to dodge.  Also, no rings.  Yeah, no rings.  If you make one wrong move, you're done for.  It's for that reason that I've never beaten this game.  Seriously.  I mean, I have gotten past the boss before, but the frustration just isn't worth it.  By the third level, I'm looking at the screen and thinking "What am I doing with my life?"  So I promptly shut off the game.

It's not fun.  It's just beyond aggravating.

• Thumbs Up 5

I'm going to seem incredibly incompotent, but I can't believe I haven't mentioned... wait for it...

The first boss.

You know how in most games, they make the first boss kind of easy and then they get progressively harder as you go?  Not in this game!  In this game, they literally throw you onto an unfamiliar terrain--a diagonal slope--with a squid (or a crab?) that kills you if you touch it at the bottom and balls with impeccible accuracy that you have to dodge.  Also, no rings.  Yeah, no rings.  If you make one wrong move, you're done for.  It's for that reason that I've never beaten this game.  Seriously.  I mean, I have gotten past the boss before, but the frustration just isn't worth it.  By the third level, I'm looking at the screen and thinking "What am I doing with my life?"  So I promptly shut off the game.

The main reason the gamegear games are so hard is that they are pretty much the master system games put onto the gamegear as a much lower resolution. This lower resolution is what I've seen makes the gamegear versions so much harder. You can't see as much as the master system versions, which often have more room to move around and dodge things, which the gamegear versions don't have. This is why so many people get hung up on the gamegear versions of the master system versions of the same games.

The first boss.

I hated that boss so much. The Gamecube's control stick doesn't help either.

maxresdefault.jpg

This boss frustrated me so much. It was so fun and easy in the Wii version. In the 360 version, it was just brutal and frustrating. The first time I really wanted to shut off a Sonic game.

I barely beat that thing a week ago. Worst hour of my life. Is it even possible to destroy the rocks Dark Gaia throws at you? And the Sonic sections managed to be even worse. My least favorite part is having to skip a ton of cutscenes and re-fight the Egg Dragoon just to retry.

Fuck the boss of Episode 1, its....HORRIBLE.

Oh wait! That reminds me: the reason I can't 100% Sonic 4 Episode 1.

Yeah, you all know what I'm talking about. The Untouchable Trophy.

WSNE8P-1.png

E.G.G. Station Zone (S4: E1)

Now beating this "zone" is pretty standard stuff. You might get hit a few times, but you can make it through.

Oh WAIT. Throw out that last part. You get hit once? Too bad! No trophy for you! Boot up dat pause menu and select Retry.

Now what's so bad about this place? It's just a boss rush. The first three areas  are a cake walk in that regard. It's the repeat Mad Gear Zone boss and New Death Egg Robo that absolutely piss me off. There's no room for error anywhere in this zone, and these last two bosses test. My. Patience. To. No. End.

At the very least, you only have to do this once to get the trophy. Unlike another  game that requires a three - peat of an insane challenge that will test every fiber of patience in your body until there's nothing left...

200px-286px-Aeroegg.png

The Aero Egg gave me some trouble during my first run of Sonic Advance 2.  I swear those missiles have one hell of an attack range!

• Thumbs Up 1

"Uh oh. I've jumped into molten lava!! I'm done for! This is the end of Sonic The Hedgehog! I'm-oh...Thanks? Dr Eggman? ...wait...what are you doing? You just saved my life, dude! Huh? What the heck it that??"

UnderGroundZoneBoss.png

Sonic 2 - Game Gear: Underground Zone Boss

You can't hurt the thing. All you have to do is survive. I guess I must've managed it when I was younger, but now? Damn!! Bombs are being dropped of screen and bouncy in different patterns towards your direction. You've got to let it bounce over you or jump over it with good timing. It'll then continue on and damage your robot enemy. This'll repeat about 7 or 8 times while the last of which will be a falling fat man in a flying machine. Each bomb will fall in a different way and Eggman just slides down the slope. If your not ready for it, be prepared to restart as you get no rings.

Speaking of slope, the environment your on doesn't help matters as it can take an extra second or two to get your bearings straight having just moved. So you gotta watch out for falling bombs and fat men, while not falling too far down, or you'll be chomped to bits. But don't go too high either, or you wont have enough time to react to the falling crap.

Still...I guess it could be worse...

What?? It's the first level?! Fuck off!?!

Edited by Project D Zone-J86
  • Thumbs Up 1

I'm really questioning people who thought the S4:E1 Egg Robo boss was hard.

You guys played Sonic 2, right? It's almost the same boss except you get NO rings and NO homing attack. Good luck.

You guys played Sonic 2, right? It's almost the same boss except you get NO rings and NO homing attack. Good luck.

But...but... this new one has lasers! And Electricity!

And your rings fly everywhere and bounce far off the side of the screen if you get hit!

I feel so boring, never played Sonic 2 and Knuckles! Ill Just wait for the StealthTax remake :P

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah, the part where the final boss of Sonic 2 runs across the entire screen in leaping bounds and then turns electric so you can't damage it until you kick the spike arm back at it is such a hassle without the homing attack.

• Thumbs Up 1

I thought I brought up the comparisons between the two S2/S4E1 Death Egg final bosses on the first page? Or did everybody skim over my post?

Any boss from Sonic Advance 2. I'm not a fan of running bosses in general, but they were at least tolerable in Unleashed, Colors, and Generations, having the boost at your disposal. ESPECIALLY the boss rush! What the hell, Dimps? You make me fight every single running boss in the game with no checkpoints? It's only tolerable with Cream, who makes mincemeat out of them, but it still feels long and tedious.