Awoo.

"You might as well lie down and DIE!": The Hardest Bosses in Sonic

Spin Attaxx

OMG Sonic the Fighters Metal Sonic... that one is ridiculously difficult to beat.  His charge attack makes this topic title ("You might as well lie down and DIE!") all the more literal because you have pretty much nothing else you can do at that point. =/

Gah, I forgot all about that...that monster. I think I was screaming in frustration so frequently fighting him that my mom came into the room wondering what was wrong with me.

• Thumbs Up 1

Oh wow, the sonic the fighters metal sonic battle. I should have put that in my list on here. That's definately up there in the list of most difficult with just how cheap he is. If you beat him in one round, he just goes mad in the next round and clobbers you. Him getting perfects on you isn't even uncommon every now and then. He is just that cheap of a boss. You sstruggle so much against him and then get just a few seconds to fight Eggman before you are thrown out of the game. All that and you don't even get to give a proper beating to Eggman in the end alot of the time.

I totally forgot about Alf Layla Wa Layla. I didn't mind it much at first, but when I wanted to get the gold medal, the rage gauge started to fill on me. Shaking the wiimote was part of the problem. Sometimes I felt like it wasn't responsive enough that I had to double the effort to fill the gauge. It destroyed my arms. This, combined with the attack patterns of the boss, just started to get on my nerves.

A classic boss I both hate and admire because of the difficulty, is the Carnival Night boss in Sonic 3.

s3-cnz-boss2img1.png s3-cnz-boss2img2.png

Eggman throws the electric ball to the ground and then tries to draw Sonic in using the magnetic pull from the electricity that is generated. To hit him, you either wait until Eggman moves down in order to pick up his green ball, or you try and hit him directly underneath while he is in the air. It is incredibly easy to take damage trying to hit Eggman. I hardly ever beat this boss without losing all my - hundreds of - rings.

Patience is key on this boss, unless if you're short in time, which it happens to me sometimes as I reach the boss around 8 minutes.

I find it easy to hit him above. I can't say the same from below, as it exists always a chance to receive damage. Lighting and water shields are the best against him, once he descends, it's easy to give him consecutive hits.

Now I remember another boss from the same game that gave me troubles, I'll post it later...

Sonic 1 (GG/MS) GHZ Boss. SO. DAMN. HARD.

The timing is so hard to get right.

Right at the end, when he gets faster makes it a butthurt.

Oh, and Sonic 1's jumping physics make it a lot harder for me.

Lots of the time, when I play Sonic 1, I have to use cheats to get past it.

Lastly, the only thing that's keeping me going is the extra life hidden in there.

Every other boss I can do no problem. It's just that one boss.

Damn it. DAMN IT ALL!

Lastly, the only thing that's keeping me going is the extra life hidden in there.

Damn it. DAMN IT ALL!

The one that's just the Eggmobile with no modifications to it whatsoever? The one that can't hurt you at all as long as you're jumping?

After somebody complaining about the difficulty of the Spring robot from Sonic CD, I don't know why I'm so surprised.

Damn it. DAMN IT ALL!

You are talking about the classic boss of him swinging the chechered ball aren't you? That's a hard one for you?

I think he's talking about the one where he has nothing at all and just flies around.

How that's hard at all, I don't know. The GG one especially.

Nobody understands?! Read it again, you'll see what I mean.

Edited by InfinityAlex

Dude, it's easy. Really easy. As long as you jump over him when he rams you, he can never hurt you. I don't see anything off about the jump physics.

Hell, in the Game Gear version (and the Master System version with some finesse) you can even beat him BEFORE he can do the ram attack!

• Thumbs Up 1

I think it's kinda funny that everybody has different opinions on all these bosses, like half of these bosses I've thought to be the easiest ever, but ones I've posted have been laughed at followed by a "O RLY"? Haha.

What? This guy made it look like nothing! But it's so damn har----OK, so I was trolling you guys. Sonic 2's Aqua Lake boss, now THAT's hard. I have a hard time knowing when to hit it, and I'm usually too late, so I die.

Edited by InfinityAlex

Yeah, not to backseat mod or anything, but I'd prefer if trolling examples were signified as such and/or followed by a serious example.

But to add to the list, Labyrinth Zone (MD)'s boss is hard as shit. I'd say he's even harder than the final boss. You pretty much have to get it right first time or else you'll be stuck with taking only one chance to save yourself from death. There's so much shit you have to avoid, the water keeps rising and there's no air bubbles at all. The worst thing that can happen to you is if you get really high, only to get knocked back and fall to the bottom. By that point, you've pretty much already lost, because there is no way you're going to get back up before you drown.

Also, I can never hit him 8 times. Not that it matters, but still.

Yeah, survival tests suck, unless it's something like the New Super Mario Bros. Wii final boss.

Yeah, not to backseat mod or anything, but I'd prefer if trolling examples were signified as such and/or followed by a serious example.

But to add to the list, Labyrinth Zone (MD)'s boss is hard as shit. I'd say he's even harder than the final boss. You pretty much have to get it right first time or else you'll be stuck with taking only one chance to save yourself from death. There's so much shit you have to avoid, the water keeps rising and there's no air bubbles at all. The worst thing that can happen to you is if you get really high, only to get knocked back and fall to the bottom. By that point, you've pretty much already lost, because there is no way you're going to get back up before you drown.

Also, I can never hit him 8 times. Not that it matters, but still.

Does something even happen if you hit him eight times before you reach the top of that slow race to the top? I dont think I've ever hit him more than like three or so times on my way up. Plus, usually hitting him if a bad thing because the force of the hit throws you downwards, which can be very bad during that sequence.

I'm sure this boss has been mentioned here already but the boss from UGZ in the Game Gear version of Sonic 2 is one of the most difficult bosses in Sonic history. The resolution of the screen makes it difficult to see the bombs, which is why the SMS version is much easier to defeat. Put it this way, I gave up on the boss and made a hack of the GG version to skip over the third act of each level. :V

• Promotion 1

The sub-boss from Death Egg.
Consisting of two phases, the eye is the target in both.

SonicampKnuckles_726_zps2de339e6.jpg     SonicampKnuckles_738_zpsb26385e4.jpg

The first phase has these orbs that work as a shield. To hit it, you have to wait until these orbs descend. Every time you hit the eye, an orb is destroyed releasing spikes. Easy to get hurt if you aren't careful enough, there's still the rest of the orbs rotating in the ground that also extends the range for a second.

In the next phase it has two rotating semi-spiked platforms, plus now it can move. It activates a laser every time you hit it, blocking your way below, and at the same time, these platforms speeds up. It's almost impossible to dodge unless you're way from it. If it surrounds you, better crouch down until stops, which it does it after a certain time.

This second part is where I always found it troublesome. Not having rings sometimes made it worse. Although I don't find it challenging nowadays, in my childhood I considered it one of the hardest bosses I faced in the Sonic games.

• Thumbs Up 2

I completely forgot about the mini boss from DEZ, to this day I find this boss to be much more difficult than Robotnik himself in this level, including the final boss of the game. I usually end up having a poor ring count by the end of the fight, and even in some cases I end up dying a few times before actually finishing it off. >_>

• 8 years later...

Oil Ocean from Sonic 2 that boss is IMPOSSIBLE without taking damage because the hitboxes make no sense and sometimes you lose your shield and rings when YOU DIDN'T EVEN TOUCH HIM so yeah you HAVE to be Super Sonic to even stand a chance and obviously the bosses which give you NO rings because you HAVE to beat them without damage or else you DIE

Twinkle Snow's boss from Sonic Advance 3 can be a real pain if you choose the wrong team. Tails and Knuckles I believe is one of them, as it turns Tails' flight ability into a glide.

• 4 weeks later...