Awoo.

Art Academy (Wii U)

segasage

Since i'll be going with nintendo for my console choice this next gen( ps4 maybe, maybe even xbox one if they shape up) I really am digging what's being done with the Wii U pad. They're finally making art academy for the Wii U so were gonna be able to make art using that nice screen. I know that Colors! is also coming there so its gonna be really cool to draw with it, but if it were pressure sensitive it be an instant hook. Is anyone else looking forward to using their Wii U for drawing?

Edited by segasage

I NEED MONEY ADKBFKEJBMLKEF

But yeah, I'm looking forward to getting this.

Well, sure, a Wacom Tablet and also three thousand dollars. Since the only tablet comparable to this is a Cintiq. And also since this isn't a reason to buy a console, but something good to buy if you have a console. I'm also incredibly angered by your passive-aggressive completely unfounded and frankly idiotic comment done with the sole intention of looking oh so cool because hey, a potshot at a WiiU, even though it has nothing to do with anything, likely because I was actively feeling good and thinking "wow, everyone is getting cheaper access to this kind of drawing technology" AND YOU HAD TO COME AND RAIN ON MY PARADE YOU PESTERING PUSTULENT FUCK

Regarding the theme of the thread itself, the Art Academy games were awesome on the DSes, and any spreading of digital drawing means throughout the masses is great, so I advise everyone to grab it, even if you think you can't draw. Give it a try, you can't learn without trying and drawing is fun.

EDIT: Oh are you fucking with me mate you aren't even doing these shitty posts to snark, you just wanted the 15 posts to go to the Marketplace

fuck's sake

Edited by Captain Harlock
  • Thumbs Up 5

He's trolling for postcount, it's kinda pathetic. He even made a terribad attempt over at the Vita thread.

I got this thing as well, and my first attempt isn't too shabby (haven't tried drawing in ages, and I'm not that good at drawing in general), though I don't think I have so much patience for the colouring process.

FirstPony.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

AND YOU HAD TO COME AND RAIN ON MY PARADE YOU PESTERING PUSTULENT FUCK

Yeah, this right here? The flaming? We don't do this at all, and you know it. The worst is that you take such loophole spam seriously enough to lose your absolute mind. Brilliant. Here, have a strike for all of your troubles.

• Thumbs Up 2

Ah... Art Academy... I swear... this series is for any artist out there. Whether you're an amazing artist that wants to better their skills or if you're someone that never considered yourself much of one, but wanted to learn.

Every game in the series, bar Sketchpad in it's current state, offer two main modes. The first is "Lessons". And as the name applies, allows you to learn a multitude if different techniques to better your skills. You are taught by your Art teacher Vince, occasionally accompanied by his dog, Bacon. This is one of the main strength of Art Academy since the lessons are not only helpful, but they move at your pace and can be repeated if you wish. The other mode is "Free Mode" where you are free to draw whatever you want, how you want. Just don't expect Vince to help you here.

Every since the beginning, you were allowed to use a multitude of tools to work with like pencils (2H, HB, 2B and so on), color pencils and paint. Also, you could even take pictures with the camera and recreated those if any of the pictures already in-game didn't interest you. In Lessons for Everyone/New Art Academy on the 3DS, the series really cut loose buy adding more lessons, art tools like pastels, tortillons, puddy erasers and paper varitety but it even Incorporated an art museum for you to display your work and share with other who have the game. And if they didn't you could always post them on Swapnote or use the new photo app on the 3DS to post them onto the computer. DLC lessons were available as well.

Sketchpad, as of now, is only something to hold us off until the rest of the game is finished. There are currently no lessons, and we can't use all the options. (Heck there's isn't even any paint or water options!) Still, It's good on it's own for now, but it once everything else is completed, I'm sure it will only become much better. The use of Miiverse really caught a lot of Wii U user's attention, as drawings have posted by the masses on there everyday. And some of them and absolutely unbelievable!

Now what really makes Art academy so great? Many things, really. For one, It does it's best to keep you calm as you learn. Vince will never rush you, nor does it ever seem like he's just a textbook with a face. He shows character, often taking about what he likes and making jokes, and he'll give you all the time in the world to work on your masterpiece. There are no deadlines here and you can save at anytime. He may be the teacher, but how fast and far you go is all up to you.

(And speaking of soothing... The music in this game just melts the stress away.)

Another thing is that the tools you are given are made to replicate their actual counterparts. The erasers will have a different effect on a pencil than a pastel. The color pencils are more precise than pastel and paint. Paint smudges and becomes harder to remove the longer you wait. You get it. They perform very well, to were unless you have a good eye for pixels you might have a hard time telling the difference!

Also, there's no Undo option, which sounds bad at first, but it only encourages the learning process. And that's what Art Academy is all about in the end: providing tools and knowledge on how to effectively use them. It's not trying to be Photoshop or Gimp, but almost a more convenient alternative to hand drawn art.

It's truly for any artist, but mostly for those who have often felt intimidated by other artist and lack faith in their own skills. I recommend this to anyone, but to them most of all. It's an easy and enjoyable title that can really help even the least artistic joe to improve if they're willing to do so. 

Here are a some quick paintings I made in Art Academy...

zlCfzRFlFLsl1usJFb.jpg

zlCfzRF5oPYfg7Ob0k.jpg

zlCfzRGA9sAlBVoMo3.jpg

I still have plenty for me to improve on and try out. But that's fine since I'm always willing to learn more methods. Heck, no matter how skilled an artist is, there's always something for them to learn if they're interested.

And here's another reason why I like the series: I can try more mediums and save some cash on art supplies! Hopefully when Sketchpad is completed, it will provide me with some lessons that not even Lessons for Everyone had. I look forward to it.

Edited by YoshiUnity the Aesthetic
  • Thumbs Up 3

welp, heeere's a work in progress:

ictfo8.jpg

Off to a good start. From what I looking at so far, it looks like you're trying to achieve a style of your own with this. I'm curious to see what it looks like when it's finished.

Are you using a mix of pastel and color pencils?

Off to a good start. From what I looking at so far, it looks like you're trying to achieve a style of your own with this. I'm curious to see what it looks like when it's finished.

Are you using a mix of pastel and color pencils?

It was actually all pastels. I was trying to draw the flower from the reference thing, but I screwed it up and decided to make a Pikmin instead, haha.

And it's not so much "my own style" as it is "trying to find an artstyle that even a no talent git can look good with." 

Edited by Sixth-Rate Soma

I've ALWAYS wished I could draw, put me off taking Art further than necessary (much to my Art teacher's dismay). I have ideas in my head, but I can never get them to look how I want on the paper. I'll definitely give this a look when I get ahold of a Wii U

I decided to buy and give this app a go, just testing out the program for now.

tumblr_ms5x0i7eHn1s2r6ijo1_1280.jpg

Liking some of the pencil tone you can achieve in this program!

Edited by okinoS repuS
  • Thumbs Up 5

Finally finished this thing.

zlCfzRG4h-Id0imCMI.jpg

You know, I love Monster Hunter but I never considered myself much of a Pokemon fan. Still I'd be all over this crossover if it ever comes to be.

I'm happy with how it turned out, though I'm kind of regretting the idea of making up a sword instead of using any of the Monster Hunter ones. Also, I think the idea of using having pokeballs in the weapons sounded much cooler in my head.

Still, I'm proud of this. Shoot I better be with how Art Academy was glitch on me a little today. I had to do stray-line repair on this three times right when it was close to being complete. Hopefully no one else ran into this.

• Thumbs Up 3

• 3 months later...

Art Academy: Sketchpad out now! Ho Ho Ho! Luigi Exhibition coming tomorrow!

We’ve added a new feature to Art Academy: SketchPad to help you get the most out of the Luigi Exhibition starting on Christmas Day (25 December).

When commenting on a post, you can now attach pictures that you’ve drawn in Art Academy: SketchPad! To do so, start Art Academy: SketchPad on a Wii U console with an internet connection and download the update. Once installation of the software update is complete, you’ll be able to use this new feature.

http://nintendoeverything.com/art-academy-sketchpad-updated-luigi-exhibition-starting-tomorrow/#more-146090

Can't say Nintendo wasn't serious about the Year of Luigi, shoot! Also, that other update is a nice one as well. I'm still waiting on them to work on a few other things, but this is nice.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, it's a bit late but here's some info about what the Luigi Exhibition is...

MariChan here!

Allow me to declare the Luigi Exhibition officially open! Guidelines:

• Pictures must be drawn using Art Academy: SketchPad.

• Pictures must feature Luigi (of course!)

• Entries are limited to one original work per person.

• Comment on this post to submit your entry.

• Pictures will be chosen based on originality/creativity.

• We will choose our favourites from the entries and may share them outside Miiverse.

Remember, this is a worldwide event, so please avoid using writing in your pictures if at all possible.

When attaching pictures from Studio mode, make sure that you're not zoomed in before pressing the HOME Button, so that the dotted box doesn't appear in your screenshot!

The event will end on 13 January 2014 or when this post receives 1000 comments, whichever comes first. After that, we'll present some of the artworks that have really drawn my eye on this community!

I hope you'll give us your opinion on the entries too! When commenting, make sure you mention the artist's nickname, so we know which artwork you're talking about. You might bring a hidden gem to our attention!

Finally, ideas count as much as talent, so you don't have to be a master painter to take part. Let's put together a fantastic Luigi Exhibition and paint the world green!

Note: If you submit a drawing as a comment to this post, you grant to Nintendo the royalty-free right to publish your drawings online and offline.

https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAACAAAYUKlDRwFc6Q

I originally believed that this was supposed to be an update that would show up on Art Academy: Sketchpad itself. Not just on Miiverse. When I saw nothing was updated, I thought the whole thing was bullshit.

I stumbled on it after I finished my Dr. Luigi/Year of Luigi painting, only because I saw some people mention this in the Miiverse community. So I got lucky.

If you want to submit your entry, this is how to find the post to make your reply

1. After you're done with your drawing in Art Academy: Sketchpad, leave it open.

2. Click the home button, then click Miiverse.

3. In the Art Academy Community, click Related Communities.

4. Click Art Academy Events. Then select the first post you see. (The one made on Christmas Day)

5 Submit your entry by replying to that post, with your picture selected.

So yeah... If you have time, go for it if you want. I already submitted mine. There's a lot of entries, despite not all of them not being eligible... (Sure some of them weren't made in Art Academy, but the ones that don't even have Luigi in them really baffle me!)

Anyway, good luck.

• 3 months later...

woah, I can see some cool stuff can be made this, I was considering picking this up, since its relatively cheap, and I do have a wii-u, but I was wondering:

How is sketchpad as a first digital art program, and for a relatively new artist? really kinda wanted a way to have more tools, and to expand on my skills, and thought this might work

and to clarify, I currently work with a sketchpad, and a .5 mechanical pencil, and dont have the funds nor am nessecarily sure how far I will get to justify a drawing tablet, and am still a relative beginner, I can live without an undo button(as long as there are layers, that would be nice though)

I'd say it's fine, however, it's not as forgiving as Photoshop of GIMP. It's meant to mimic hand-drawn art tools, so there's no undo option other than using erasers. Still it has good detail in the tools they are ment to emulate so I recommend it.

I just wish that they would hurry up with the updates for extra space and lessons. Now if you want those sooner than later, I recommend Art Academy: Lessons for Everyone/New Art Academy on the 3DS. It's a bit more expensive, but it comes with the complete package of what Art Academy is all about.

I'd say it's fine, however, it's not as forgiving as Photoshop of GIMP. It's meant to mimic hand-drawn art tools, so there's no undo option other than using erasers. Still it was good detail in the tools and I recommend it.

I just wish that they would hurry up with the updates for extra space and lessons. Now if you want those sooner than later, I recommend Art Academy: Lessons for Everyone/New Art Academy on the 3DS. It's a bit more expensive, but it comes with the complete package of what Art Academy is all about.

I currently have a sketchpad and a mechanical pencil, I can live without undo, and I am still learning, so I am flexible. also I sadly dont have a 3Ds, so thats not an option :( otherwise I would be working on KI:U right now XD.

if it has layers that would be kinda nice though, mainly considering it, since its like 4 bucks, and I have a wii-u, so its a cheap option for me to expand my drawing resources

I currently have a sketchpad and a mechanical pencil, I can live without undo, and I am still learning, so I am flexible. also I sadly dont have a 3Ds, so thats not an option sad.png otherwise I would be working on KI:U right now XD.

if it has layers that would be kinda nice though, mainly considering it, since its like 4 bucks, and I have a wii-u, so its a cheap option for me to expand my drawing resources

Sorry, amigo. There are no layers in Art Academy. You choose the paper you want to draw on by it's texture, the color and then you draw on it.

I usually use the more rougher paper. Works easier for me.

Sorry, amigo. There are no layers in Art Academy. You choose the paper you want to draw on by it's texture, the color and then you draw on it.

I usually use the more rougher paper. Works easier for me.

heh, layers are a nice backup, but I can live without em, used to pic edit a little, so thats where I used to use em. But ya, seems like it may be a good place to work on my drawing more, and to expand with more tools into digital, even if I am still a relative beginer for the most part. Been wanting to do more color, and detail, but I cant really do that with the tools I have, and since this is an affordable option, it seems like a decent enough choice, provided I can get used to using the gamepad

Yeah, it's good if you want something that's pretty simple while offering a lot to work with, despite lacking layers. It's the only art program I've used besides Paint, but I went in there for about an hour and managed to get something small going easily;

art_academy_sketchpad___female_tails_wip

Should probably get back to this already, on that note... or just do it over from scratch.

(hope this uploaded okay, Wii U browser is being finicky)

• Thumbs Up 1

For anyone enjoying Art Academy: Sketchpad.

I recommend participating in the monthly exhibitions contests that take place on Miiverse. Each month a random Nintendo employee will start this contest where you have make a drawing base on a certain game or event. They've already did one for the Year of Luigi, The Legend of Zelda: Link Between Worlds and Animal Crossing: New Leaf. Right now, there's one in progress for Yoshi's New Island that is scheduled to end at April 20th.

After a certain amount of time after the deadlines, winners are selected to have their work displayed on Miiverse and on this website here.

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/wiiu/aa9j/contest/index.html

Beside that there's no actual reward other than the thrill of competition, a little 15 minutes of fame and having your work display in a nice frame.

006.jpg

It's pretty fun, and for the most part, everyone's in good's spirits win or lose. It also it gives you something to do if you ever feel lost with what to draw. And sometimes a charge of competitive spirit is good to motivate you to work on a picture. I've entered the one for The Year of Luigi, but didn't have time to enter the others. I would like to; however besides time, I don't want these to eat up what little space I have for the saved drawings.

Just go to the Miiverse > Art Academy: Sketchpad > Related Communities > Art Academy Events. And you'll find both the contests and the winners there.

For me, I'm thinking about entering the Yoshi's New Island contest, but I also working on Game Grumps fan art. I want to finish the latter first, but depending on how motivated I am and if time permits, I'll go for the former.

• Thumbs Up 5

I occasionally use the app myself when I have my Wii U on, granted I barely ever because of the lack of games, but I've done a few doodles.

APRyj9S.jpg

3qR92zN.jpg

and a W.I.P of Shadow too, that green background is awful I wish I never added it now.

These are relatively old now though.

• Thumbs Up 3