Awoo.

Way past cool Beta and Facts! (Read OP for rules)

WhoWhatMan

Welcome to the...

Way Past Cool

Beta & Facts

Thread!

(Fancy logo soon to be added)

This is where you can post known/unknown beta stuff! If that isn't your thing, then you can post some totally rad facts about Sonic! But before we start posting stuff, I want to lay down some rules:

1. If you are posting beta stuff or facts, be sure that you have some evidence to prove it (I.E Video or Website)

2. No short Listing! Because... that isn't allowed on this site :/

3. Be sure to check that someone already posted about the beta or fact, as I don't want there to be doubles, but It's fine as long you tell some new information about it.

4. Correcting someone fact or beta is allowed, but don't be all snobby about it.

Now let get started!

Edited by KaBlamJamDan

Wood Zone. Even though it was Metropolis Zone's past version, it was still pretty cool; even in the Sonic 2 Long Version. 

Edited by baba
  • Thumbs Up 1

The unused duck enemy found Final Egg in Sonic Adventure.

I for one think it's cute. I speculate it got remove cause the developers either forgot about it or they just decided to replace it with a fitting enemy.

Edited by Da Victoes
  • Thumbs Up 1

Pay special heed to that "No short listing" rule everyone. Conversation must take place in all discussion threads, whether this be elaboration on the subject you're talking about or a response to someone else. You can still break this rule with posting evidence. Just keep it in mind, yah?

• Thumbs Up 1

Pay special heed to that "No short listing" rule everyone. Conversation must take place in all discussion threads, whether this be elaboration on the subject you're talking about or a response to someone else. You can still break this rule with posting evidence. Just keep it in mind, yah?

Yea, I do not want this to be another failure thread I made, so be sure to add theories to why ___ got remove or something like that IF necessary, or talk about the beta and such.

• Thumbs Up 1

The unused duck enemy found Final Egg in Sonic Adventure.

I for one think it's cute. I speculate it got remove cause the developers either forgot about it or they just decided to replace it with a fitting enemy.

I don't know, to me that seems to look more like just a placeholder of some sorts.  I doubt that ever would have made it into the final game.  I'm not sure what they could have been testing it, but judging by its behavior patterns, it most likely wasn't working.

Oh and sorry for double posting, but "Sonic Heroes" was about to be a 2D game.

Source(s)?

inb4 this is common knowledge and I've been left out of the loop since forever.

In the original Sonic CD (not prototypes), you can see some monitors in Palmtree Panic Act 3 that isn't used in the game.

You'll need to enable debug mode first, then defeat Robotnik. Once you've done so, turn on debug and then fly under the floor.

You'll see monitors like a Clock and S Monitor under some pipes.

Edit: Proof picture

SONICTHEHEDGEHOG-CD001_zpsccb34a48.png

Edited by Xenn
  • Thumbs Up 1

Time for me to add some facts!

SONIC X JAPANESE OPENING SECRET

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRsmM1uOukU

(Yes, I know it playing GOTTA GO FAST! But Its doesn't matter)

If you pause the video around :28, You can see antimorphic animals (Like sonic and friends) in the backround, but they don't appear in the show...

My guesses were that either

1. They were gonna be the citizens of the town

2. This town was actually Sonic World, but the idea was scrap and turn into Earth

3. These people were transported with Sonic and friends, but again, the Idea was scrap.

If you pause the video around :28, You can see antimorphic animals (Like sonic and friends) in the backround, but they don't appear in the show...

2. This town was actually Sonic World, but the idea was scrap and turn into Earth

3. These people were transported with Sonic and friends, but again, the Idea was scrap.

I still think that this piece of concept art was of a location in Sonic's world because it doesn't match Earth's locales or the design direction of that planet i.e Unusual building designs that are packed-in together, distinctively-drawn crescent moon. It also doesn't have any in-show location based off of it at any point in the series;

downtown.png

The katakana read "Downtown"

Also, anthrope characters like them show-up in episode 77;

animals2.png

Actually most of the scenes on Sonic X intro are taken from a ''Lost Pilot'' of sorts, where we see an animal city with Eggman attacking, Sonic fighting a lot of Robots, Knuckles in a car trying to help, Amy and Tails following them on the Tornado and Shadow and Rouge just looking from a tower... I swear to god it sounds silly as hell now that I think of it, but its true.

Edit- here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjupcBQgjJc

Also, Knuckles, what he hell are you doing with that underaged rabbit on your car... Knuckles, stahp

Edited by Ratcicle King
  • Thumbs Up 1

I still think that this piece of concept art was of a location in Sonic's world because it doesn't match Earth's locales or the design direction of that planet i.e Unusual building designs that are packed-in together, distinctively-drawn crescent moon. It also doesn't have any in-show location based off of it at any point in the series;

downtown.png

The katakana read "Downtown"

Also, anthrope characters like them show-up in episode 77;

animals2.png

Oh~ I didn't know about that! Thanks!

I don't know, to me that seems to look more like just a placeholder of some sorts.  I doubt that ever would have made it into the final game.  I'm not sure what they could have been testing it, but judging by its behavior patterns, it most likely wasn't working.

It could be... I also remember reading that the duck enemy Did in fact have a name, I can't find it though.

Oh and sorry for double posting, but "Sonic Heroes" was about to be a 2D game.

I don't know about Sonic heroes being a 2D game, but I DO know that the game had Tons of unused Voice clips

The voice clips in this video are ripped straight from the game, some of them are unused in game.

The mother load Of unused voice clips, though I think some of the listed voice clips are used.

http://tcrf.net/Sonic_Heroes#Unused_Voice_Clips

They must of realized half way through development that they recorded way too much, so they nerfed a lot of them in result. There are also hints of unused gameplay mechanics in some of them.

Edited by Da Victoes
  • Thumbs Up 1

It could be... I also remember reading that the duck enemy Did in fact have a name, I can't find it though.

It would be interesting to see what it could be, if that's the case.  Judging by its size, I'm contemplating that it may have been a stand-in for Zero, or perhaps they were planning on have much larger enemies.

"This is no place for little girls or a big, fat cat."

u8EJrNpl.png

Okay...

• Thumbs Up 2

The voice clips in this video are ripped straight from the game, some of them are unused in game.

I really love the delivery of the "you call yourselves detectives?" line, While I do prefer Mike Pollock, I am very fond of Deem Bristow's voice for Eggman.

Edited by Amomynous
  • Thumbs Up 3

It would be interesting to see what it could be, if that's the case.  Judging by its size, I'm contemplating that it may have been a stand-in for Zero, or perhaps they were planning on have much larger enemies.

Now thats horrifying. Can you imagine being chased by that giant duck? *shivers

Uh oh, Amy it look like you got company again.

11uuwt3.jpg

It's so demonic it doesn't even appear in the mirror XD

Also I found the name of the duck!

"And finally the name of the unused enemy in Final Egg is E HIYOKO. It's actually still referenced in the final version. But it's just a copy of E ROBO (those annoying robots that capture and ram into you) when you load it in game."

http://forums.sonicretro.org/index.php?showtopic=31432&st=375

I really love the delivery of the "you call yourselves detectives?" line, While I do prefer Mike Pollock, I am very fond of Deem Bristow's voice for Eggman.

I know right it's such a shame a lot of those Eggman voice clips go unused. I especially like this one "Without me, Team Dark is nothing but a bunch of buffoons!"

RIP Deem Bristow

Edited by Da Victoes
  • Thumbs Up 3

The reason the prototype of Sonic 2 is available to the public is because the prototype was stolen from a toy fair in 1992. It wasn't found until a rom was found on a Chinese website by Simon Wei, thus why it's refered to as the Simon Wei beta.

It was distributed to many people, and bootleggers who edited the rom to not have the SEGA logo sold it in bootleg cartridges as the final version in Brazil and Asia.

http://info.sonicretro.org/Sonic_the_Hedgehog_2_(Simon_Wai_prototype)

Amazing how Sega was as incompetant back then as they are now.

• Thumbs Up 1

The reason the prototype of Sonic 2 is available to the public is because the prototype was stolen from a toy fair in 1992. It wasn't found until a rom was found on a Chinese website by Simon Wei, thus why it's refered to as the Simon Wei beta.

It was distributed to many people, and bootleggers who edited the rom to not have the SEGA logo sold it in bootleg cartridges as the final version in Brazil and Asia.

http://info.sonicretro.org/Sonic_the_Hedgehog_2_(Simon_Wai_prototype)

Amazing how Sega was as incompetant back then as they are now.

Well it isn't first time they let a prototype slip through their fingers.

*cough http://www.tssznews.com/2012/02/06/rumor-debate-ensues-over-alleged-sonic-1-beta-footage/

And sure enough, it's not their last.

sonic_hires_scan_01-1734x1000.jpgcough*

For all we know that prototype could be in mexico buried deep in someones closet.

And to be honesty sega not particularly an expert on keeping things hidden from the public, remember this 

Edited by Da Victoes

Blaming SEGA for the "leak" of Sonic Extreme just shows an extreme (lol) misunderstanding of how these things happen. Every company has "leaks" like these, especially in games like Extreme that weren't even made by SEGA, it was another company making a game and using Sonic so they could pitch the game.

Blaming SEGA for the "leak" of Sonic Extreme just shows an extreme (lol) misunderstanding of how these things happen. Every company has "leaks" like these, especially in games like Extreme that weren't even made by SEGA, it was another company making a game and using Sonic so they could pitch the game.

Thank you for correcting me and yes your right, so maybe I went a little Extreme(lol) in picking the "leak" of Sonic Extreme as an example.

A better example would be the"leak" of Sonic Advance 3's prototype.

"Sonic Advance 3 was meant to be released in June of 2004, but the prototype was released on March 21st, months before the planned release date. Initially it was dumped on the 16th and distributed among a select few. It's not often a Sega beta is leaked to the public before the games launch date and is a big blunder on Sega's part."

Let's just say some jobs were lost....

An interesting story about Sonic 1 is that it was going to be ported to home computers. So we'd have seen ports of Sonic 1 on the Amiga, ZX Spectrum, Commodore 64, Atari ST, Amstrad, etc. Sega decided to give the license to US Gold, so it was probably quite fortunate that this idea fell through. Interestingly, US Gold was going to publish Sonic's Edusoft before it was cancelled due to them not having the rights to use Sonic. I wonder if the two stories are related?

• Thumbs Up 1

• 6 months later...

An interesting story about Sonic 1 is that it was going to be ported to home computers. So we'd have seen ports of Sonic 1 on the Amiga, ZX Spectrum, Commodore 64, Atari ST, Amstrad, etc. Sega decided to give the license to US Gold, so it was probably quite fortunate that this idea fell through. Interestingly, US Gold was going to publish Sonic's Edusoft before it was cancelled due to them not having the rights to use Sonic. I wonder if the two stories are related?

Reminds me of time Sega tired reworking the game "Popful Mail" into a sonic game staring Sonic's sister.

I wonder if there would of been any Sonic Underground connections...

I'm not sure if this really counts with the point of this thread, but I really like the beta music for Leaf Forest from Sonic Advance 2.

I like the version that was used in the final game as well (and to be honest, it's more fitting with the pace of the game), but this song is just so awesome. Way back before Sonic Advance 2 was released and a gameplay trailer with that music was all there was, I had an mp3 of that song ripped from the trailer that I used to listen to constantly on my old mp3 player. It just didn't get old. Lots of good memories with that song, and it's kind of a shame that it was nowhere to be found in the final game.