Awoo.

What should Sonic fans be called?

Tani Coyote

This topic came up in the Sonic Boom 2013 discussion so figured I'd spin it off into its own thread.

While plenty of fandoms have their own name for fans (Juggalos, Bronies, Trekkies, Twihards, etc.) what exactly does one call members of the Sonic fandom?

My thoughts would go towards Boomer; it references a Sonic Boom and also holds currency due to common use by Sonic the Comic's editorial staff for its readers. So I think that holds merit.

Another suggestion is Broniks, a combination of Bro and Bad/Goodniks. It has merits but some aren't satisfied as it looks too close to Brony.

Any other ones that I missed? I know the fandom is known for being divided into many different camps, but I find it odd no nickname has evolved to encompass every single part of the fanbase.

Blue Ballers

....in all honesty, I think Sonic Fans is fine as it is.

Edited by Son1ctrainer
  • Thumbs Up 1

>inb4 'assholes'

Anyway, I was thinking on this, and I came up with 'something'. Something called a Sonicist, prononced Soh-nih-cist...mostly because it sounds all 'smart' and 'scientific'...

Edited by DocAzure

To be honest, Ogilvie, I'd rather just be called a "Sonic fan." Those fan nicknames just sound a tad too goofy for my liking.

That's the point, though! Nicknames are ridiculous and that's where the fun comes from...

I mean, look at how the names are worn as a badge in any fandom; I'm positive the fans know the names are ridiculous but they still use it because it's a fun little title.

I guess it's a case of "So Bad It's Good," really. Sort of like when we look back on cartoons from our childhoods; we realise how dumb a lot of them are in their presentation and humor, and yet still appreciate them.

"Sonic Fan" works just fine as an all-encompassing moniker of someone who likes some aspect of the Sonic fandom enough to choose to be identified as such. Considering all the time we've gone without that, I don't think we particularly need one. Frankly at this point, it may come across as just trying too hard. Heck, some names like "Brony" and "Twihard" come across as trying too hard despite their acceptance.

How just being fans? Why do Sonic fans really need labels? 

I know you are having fun. But seriously for a second do you want to give an excuse to give trolls more bait.

Also why now?

"22 years on and now we need to name ourselves because want to re-associate our nerdiness and alienate ourselves further from society".

I never got why some fans have a fetish type desire from labelling their fan bases? Do you really lack an identity?

Edited by BW199148
  • Thumbs Up 1

How just being fans? Why do Sonic fans really need labels? 

I know you are having fun. But seriously for a second do you want to give an excuse to give trolls more bait.

Also why now?

"22 years on and now we need to name ourselves because want to re-associate our nerdiness and alienate ourselves further from society".

I never got why some fans have a fetish type desire from labelling their fan bases? Do you really lack an identity?

Whether or not a fanbase has a particular name, openly identifying with one is alienating yourself to some degree. It is also inherently a part of your own identity.

Overall, you're taking this more seriously than anyone else is.

• Thumbs Up 1

We do have our name, its called "furfags". Damn you Internet.

Edited by Azure Yakuzu
  • Thumbs Up 9

Whether or not a fanbase has a particular name, openly identifying with one is alienating yourself to some degree. It is also inherently a part of your own identity.

Overall, you're taking this more seriously than anyone else is.

That was quote wasn't meant to be taken too seriously. I was being honest.

Just saying your are fan goes down a hell of lot better than I am a " Sonic Boomer".

But as for the idenity part? Why else would want yo label what you are a fan of other than for fun? You shouldn't have to being fan of something already gives you a identity so why label yourself.

I would bring up the "B" word. But gods knows everybody has had enough of that shit. dry.png

I used to give nicknames to my friends in High School and they fucking hated it. Its was good for a laugh but it got old really fast and I can seeing it happening with this. 

Edited by BW199148

I like Sonic fans, thank you very much. About twenty some years since Sonic existed and I think that simple adjective gets the point across. Maybe it's just me, but a cute little blanket term to describe a fandom or fans of a particular subject seems to hold a negative connotation in my head.

I partially blame my negative association on Encyclopedia Dramatica and the level of WTF/lol a few fans of any particular fandom have done to deserve a page (or entire menu box/wiki). Narutard. Twithard. Yeah.

Anyway, I hope it doesn't change soon, because I'll gladly correct the heck out of you if you call me a Mobian/Outlander/Green Hiller.

Outlander

You mean Overlander?

Don't worry, even I think that part of the lore is stupid. 

• Thumbs Up 2

You know, I think half of my dissatisfaction with the idea is that I can't think of a name being cool or benign enough for me to personally adopt. Like, it's easy to identify with furry: it's succinct, directly addresses the fandom, is genderless, and is less of a mouthful than "Anthopomorphic Animal Fan." Even if I liked MLP:FiM enough to be called a Brony, the portmanteau of the words "pony" and "bro" is just.... awful to me, especially considering "bro" is becoming more and more associative with "douchebag fraternity/basement-dwelling-gamer type."

Sonic Fan is more along the lines of Furry in that it fills all of those qualities perfectly. What else can you do that tops that?

• Thumbs Up 1

As I said on BKC when the same question was asked, if you really insist in having to apply a label on the fanbase, there's one that certainly applies to much of it and that the rest of the internet calls us. Begins with Aut. Guess from there.

Fanbase nicknames are an awful thing and I know more fanbases against it than in favour. In most old-school fanbases, even, the act of whether one is fine with a nickname or not seems to be the key of "this is an old fan/this is a new guy" (vide Doctor Who Fans vs Whovians). There's no need for nicknames here.

I just like sonic fans personally myself, but if we really needed a nickname, i don't mind the"" blue believers"" myself. xD

• Thumbs Up 1

Blue Believers seems okay. But the Believers part is too close to Beilbers. Or whatever the hell fans of that douchebag Justin Beiber call themselves.

Great. Now I'm imagining Justin Beiber voicing Sonic. D:

• Thumbs Up 2

It seems like when a group of fans feel they need some cutesy title to go by, that's when the real weirdos come out. Like, people that start basing their entire identity around being a *whatever* and build really insular, echo-chamber-y communities.

Not that they can't exist without a name, and who knows in which direction the causality actually flows. But I don't see any reason to pursue it.

• Thumbs Up 3

Great. Now I'm imagining Justin Beiber voicing Sonic. D:

Gosh dang it, Kitty. Now I'm imagining that, too. Edited by SheWhoRantsTooMuch
  • Thumbs Up 1