Awoo.

What should Sonic fans be called?

Tani Coyote

In some of my TSS updates, I call you all Blue Believers.
that sounds more like a religon than a fandom label...

This topic came up in the Sonic Boom 2013 XMLdiscussion so figured I'd spin it off into its own thread.While plenty of fandoms have their own name for fans (Juggalos, Bronies, Trekkies, Twihards, etc.) what exactly does one call members of the Sonic fandom?My thoughts would go towards Boomer

Boomer=rotor. No... just no.

I thought about us being called something before and realized theres no point. Fandom are given labels because " i am a my little pony fan" or "lets troll the my little pony fan" is long, labels are meant to be short and simple to say and ultimately 1-2 words. And usealy do more bad than good and gives trolls more fuel to mess with you. Besides, sonic fans is short and simple. As far as i'm concerned it qualifies as a label and has been used forever. Lets go with this- (mlp fandoms are filled with bronies) sonic the hedgehog fandoms are filled with sonic fans. Nice, isn't it?

• Thumbs Up 1

How just being fans? Why do Sonic fans really need labels? 

I know you are having fun. But seriously for a second do you want to give an excuse to give trolls more bait.

Also why now?

"22 years on and now we need to name ourselves because want to re-associate our nerdiness and alienate ourselves further from society".

I never got why some fans have a fetish type desire from labelling their fan bases? Do you really lack an identity?

^ This guy

I'd sooner call myself a MLP fan than a brony because all it feels like is self-validation giving yourself some stupid nickname just to stand out.

• Thumbs Up 1

Sonic Fans sounds good enough as it is.

Why? Because everything else sounds kind of lame, and I couldn't think of a better name.

• Thumbs Up 4

Spikes? .. YIKES! no way! how about Sonic's? nah, that is a restaurant... I know! freedom fighters!.. too vague..

Brilliant! I know, the most original idea to date... Sonic fans! that has a good ring to it!

I have to agree, Sonic fans is the best name :)

Spikes?

....actually?

I think that name sounds really, really cool. Shame it's a generic word, because dang, that sounds like a ton of fun.

Thinking on the subject... I suppose there's always "needlemice" as well...? With needlerat for the older fans (as rats are bigger than mice)?

Really, I'm content to be known as just a Sonic fan, but this topic is basically to discuss any hypothetical titles, really, in the strange event we did have one.

How about triple threaters? 

ya know, eggman fans need a name, because they can be something else... let's call em Eggies!

Whenever I met someone new or when I talk to my friends, when asked I always referred myself as a "Sonic Fag." It usually makes those whom I talk to laugh. Even when I meet other fans of the series, I say "Oh, you're a Sonic fag too?" Luckily I never had a negative reaction out of that yet. Of course I say it in a playful matter, not in a snarky, condescending kinda way.

As to what I think they should be called..... idk to be honest

Edited by LunarEdge
  • Thumbs Up 1

Sooo... Out of interest, I decided to look at Fandom nicknames on TV Tropes, and according to the entry, Sonic fans are known as "SonicFags."

Okay first off, that's not a fandom nickname, that's a fandom insult. Hell, I've only heard it from people who hate sonic fans. Secondly, I really hate the word "Fag." It has very dark and depressing origin to it.   

Personally, I just say "I enjoy Sonic." Fandom names have a tendency to be twisted to be something negative and probably wouldn't catch on in a fan base that's been around for awhile, but at the same time, simply saying "Sonic fan," just feels kinda bland to me. So I really don't know what side to take honestly.

EDIT: I see "Sonic Fag" has actually been mentioned a while before I posted this. I guess people are free to call it whatever they like, but I really don't like the term, personally.

Edited by Emperor Robrainiac

Just as some other users have said above, Sonic fans should just be called.. well, Sonic fans. Why do we need to label each other and make a different name? We're simply called Sonic fans because we're fans of the blue blur. I'm getting really tired of insults being thrown at us just for some infamous fans, such as "SONIC FAG!" It's just so immature and offensive to me and several others.

I would suggest closet-furries. Most sonic fans i've encountered love anthromorphic animal characters but deny being furry :P

Just kidding. There is absolutely no need to have a name at all to describe the fans. It's not that our entire life revolves around Sonic.....right? Mine atleast not. I'm just a geek with a big interest in collecting Sonic stuff but I do other things too. Working, drumming in a band, going to anime conventions, partying, drinking beer, having good times with my friends,  and so on ;)

I don't see a reason to have a name like bronies, trekkies or whatever.

Sonic fan likely is the best choice just because of how generic is it and it doesn't descriminate or have any bad association, at least not hugely as some other nicknames tend to have. The nicknames mentioned for other fandoms are often those pointed at the most extreme people and often the normal fans dont want to be in that group.

The bronies are one of the best examples since most people have it on the brain and its recent. I've met and seen many people that are fans of the show, I too have watched the show and rather enjoy it, but I would never want to be called a brony and many others dont as well due to the bad reputation it now carries to be a brony. Most of the hardcore people that are just almost psychotic use the term everywhere and it has quickly grown to turn off many people to the show and fandom just because of the association of the word. They will not even watch the show or be a fan because if they are labled as a brony instead of a fan, they immediately are looked down upon as a nutty person. The same goes for treckies, since those are often associated with the trek fans that are obsessed with the show and just take it way too far sometimes. So I would feel just sticking to sonic fan would be a simple plan and to stick to that.

I think we should be called

seriously though, "Sonic Fan" is fine, I've always found all those labels Brony, Twi-hard, Monsters, Frogs whatever.....cringey as hell

• Thumbs Up 3

Personally I find that due to the long standing nature of the commnity that no further terms or association is needed. As an individual who simply identifies as a Sonic fan, it's already fairly obvious of what the title pertains to, given that in the span of over 20 year the term "Sonic" has become synonomous with the gaming franchise and all related aspects.

While I do comend the effort of thos eattempting to provide a clear distinction for the fandom and community, I think we're good for now.

I'd prefer just Sonic fans.

In all seriousness...I would NOT want to be called anything close to 'brony'. I've always seen it as an obnoxious word, especially considering 'bro' just reminds me of Pewdiepie and I really do not want to get into those realms.

• Thumbs Up 1

I guess the Big fans could refer to themselves as Froggies.

But that doesn't really work for the 90% that hate his character. tongue.png

I think Sonic fans should be called "The Disciples of Marcello". That's just me, tho. Dunno about you guys.

Even if I liked MLP:FiM enough to be called a Brony, the portmanteau of the words "pony" and "bro" is just.... awful to me, especially considering "bro" is becoming more and more associative with "douchebag fraternity/basement-dwelling-gamer type."

I thought girls had a different title in the MLP fanbase? MY cousin mentioned it once, but I've forgotten it.

• Thumbs Up 1

"Annoying" has always worked for me.

But then again, all franchises have that group of annoying fans, so it doesn't really work. Truthfully and don't give a crap what people call us. As long as I'm not referred to as a "football fan." That really pisses me off!

When I hear some of the ones people have been called in the past, it does irritate me that some just casually accept them. The ones like Sonic Fag and Sonic Fool are some of the ones that just annoy me the most. People just accept it, yet those ones are honestly insulting. Its easy to see where they came from though, due to how some of the super nutty fans out there have made it so many people think all Sonic fans are just totally nuts, when we all aren't like that.