Awoo.

What should Sonic fans be called?

Tani Coyote

The Blue Furries or Blue Hedgies. 

What about Dreadknux Disciples. 

Edited by Shaddix Leto Croft

This topic came up in the Sonic Boom 2013 discussion so figured I'd spin it off into its own thread.

While plenty of fandoms have their own name for fans (Juggalos, Bronies, Trekkies, Twihards, etc.) what exactly does one call members of the Sonic fandom?

My thoughts would go towards Boomer; it references a Sonic Boom and also holds currency due to common use by Sonic the Comic's editorial staff for its readers. So I think that holds merit.

Another suggestion is Broniks, a combination of Bro and Bad/Goodniks. It has merits but some aren't satisfied as it looks too close to Brony.

Any other ones that I missed? I know the fandom is known for being divided into many different camps, but I find it odd no nickname has evolved to encompass every single part of the fanbase.

Bronik reminds me of that YouTube video called Blonic, an original fan-charater...ugghh. Haha, you can see it here.

Although "Sonic Fan" sounds a bit generic and pretentious

How does it sound pretentious? If anything, some nickname is more pretentious than saying you're a Sonic fan because you're a fan of Sonic.

• Thumbs Up 3

Cans of Nothing. You may all go home now. i kid

I also do not see a particular reason to have a group name for us - The term "Sonic fan" has been doing as a generic but obvious and simple term that even outsiders to our base can understand. Making a collective nickname to feel special would only alienate our identity as a Sonic fan to non-fans, and makes for more potential argue bait as it seems to be impossible for the massive base for an unanimous opinion towards anything. If the majority seems to be content with a generic "Sonic fan", so am I. However, this is purely my opinion - if someone else chooses to refer to themselves as a Bronik or a Blue Believer or something like that, I am perfectly fine, and I would accept their opinion without much, if any, problem.

Unfortunately, most of the internet calls us "sonicfags."

I'm fine with "Sonic fans," though, you immediately know what's being mentioned when saying it.

• Thumbs Up 3

...........http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOLpBTDvd24

You know... the Sonic Youth actually sounds pretty cool. Unfortunately it's associated with a band.

That article that compared us to the ICP fanbase might be more apt; the term Juggalo originated from something they called their fans at a concert... so... does that mean Crush 40 calling us the Sonic youth or Sonicheads might have some cultural impact as well...?

I mean, probably not, but I can dream!

• Thumbs Up 1

Unfortunately, most of the internet calls us "sonicfags."

I'm fine with "Sonic fans," though, you immediately know what's being mentioned when saying it.

As mentioned, its a shame that people want to call us sonicfags like that. Either they have had bad experiences with people that really are jerks but blame it on being a sonic fan, or they are just making a generalization about a fanbase just because they don't ever want to be in the fanbase and just want to hate us.

• Thumbs Up 5

Sonic fans can be called whatever you want them to be called, divide them be sections though.

Going down by how much of a Sonic nerd they actually are.

You know... the Sonic Youth actually sounds pretty cool. Unfortunately it's associated with a band.

That article that compared us to the ICP fanbase might be more apt; the term Juggalo originated from something they called their fans at a concert... so... does that mean Crush 40 calling us the Sonic youth or Sonicheads might have some cultural impact as well...?

I mean, probably not, but I can dream!

Heil Sonic.. wait wrong Youth movement :P

I'm still sticking with Sonic fan. According to my ID i'm an adult so youth doesn't really reflect me.

I have no issues with fandom nicknames.. but Sonic Fan already has such a great ring to it! Can't really imagine anything sounding better than that..

is no-one going to suggest  "The Chaotix?".

No hang on thats singular...to be plural it should be "The Chaotii"

Edited by castell-neath

is no-one going to suggest  "The Chaotix?".

No hang on thats singular...to be plural it should be "The Chaotii"

Wouldn't Chaotix already be plural in the first place, since there are several members of the chaotix? It already is refering to several people at once in a group.

In pop music, it is now almost customary for every fanbase to get its own name. Gaga fans are Little Monsters. Katy Perry fans are the Katykats. Rihanna fans are the Navy (?). Ke$ha fans are Animals. Beyoncé fans are collectively known as the Beyhive. I find it super obnoxious, especially since the people who most willingly adopt these names tend to be the most rabid fans and make the rest of the fanbase look bad (case in point: the Little Monsters sending hate mail to a gossip columnist's son. While the gossip columnist in question is indeed a stain on the earth, his son has done nothing wrong and does not deserve to be targeted by strangers).

None of my long-term game fandoms (Paper Mario, Pokémon, Pikmin, Smash Bros.) have nicknames that I know of, and I'd like to keep it that way. Honestly, I've just come to associate fan nicknames with pop music "stan" wars (stan is basically more than a fan! it comes from the Eminem song "Stan" and has basically replaced the word fan in all pop music communities) and so I think of really childish behavior. Being that the Sonic fandom already has a reputation of being full of immature sexual deviants who are never satisfied with anything, the last thing it needs is an identifying moniker.

For the sake of discussion, perhaps something like Zoners, because of the different zones in the classic games. We can make really stupid puns like "we're in the Zone." Oh, and we can mix it with a Jay-Z/Kanye reference: "don't let me get in my zone... I'm definitely in my zone!"

• Thumbs Up 2

Eh, 'm another one who would prefer just to be called a Sonic fan; not too fond of fan community nicknames. I can see how it would be fun to identify by a moniker like that, but more often than not, it just makes you look kinda pretentious and obnoxious. I also agree with Diogenes that this could make the weirder side of the fandom stand out more, and we don't need an even worse reputation.

For the sake of discussion, perhaps something like Zoners, because of the different zones in the classic games. We can make really stupid puns like "we're in the Zone." Oh, and we can mix it with a Jay-Z/Kanye reference: "don't let me get in my zone... I'm definitely in my zone!"

EEEEEEEHHHHH...

wait a minute

In pop music, it is now almost customary for every fanbase to get its own name. Gaga fans are Little Monsters. Katy Perry fans are the Katykats. Rihanna fans are the Navy (?). Ke$ha fans are Animals. Beyoncé fans are collectively known as the Beyhive.

Beyoncé fans are collectively known as the Beyhive.

the Beyhive.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGof4bmCaMg

• Thumbs Up 2

*Has a Scott Evil Moment* Sonic Youth was a popular Alternative Rock band. Just saying. tongue.png

EDIT: Ah I see you pointed it out my bad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NNOrp_83RU

Edited by BW199148

Well, it isn't so nerdishly over-the-top imaginative as, say, Bronik or Sonic Fool. And everything that isn't nerdishly over-the-top imaginative is utter pretentious hipster tripe. wink.png

Uhhh, what? It's not hipster and pretentious to come up with some name to make yourself sound more important, yet it's pretentious to just be like "yeah I'm a Sonic fan because I like the Sonic series"?

I think you've got this backwards.

Ironic detachment is what separates nerds from hipsters. A nerd is unconditionally "in love" with his subject of affection thus he can be over-the-top etc. with his imagination in every way possible.

A hipster tries to bury his subject of affection in quiet snark and underwhelmingness. Being called a "Sonic Fan" is enough for him, while he acts like he's too cool for school in quiet condescension.

Everything isn't what it looks like, fellow fool. smile.png

Or they could just literally not care about naming conventions and be done with it. Not everything has to be "ironic" or "hipster" or some other thing.

Or there's being relatively understated about the things you like because you know just fanboying about them over and over again will just piss people off, especially those who are indifferent to it in the first place.

Basically, someone could act in a certain way for a variety of reasons other than simply being a hipster :P

Edited by Semi-colon e

Heil Sonic.. wait wrong Youth movement :P

I'm still sticking with Sonic fan. According to my ID i'm an adult so youth doesn't really reflect me.

Wait you was youth when you started the Sonic games right? And the youth age went up due to recession.