Awoo.

Campaign for Sonic Advance re-release?

castell-neath

Hello,

Does anyone know if Sega are planning to re-release these 3 games (advance 1,2 and 3) on the 3DS / nintendo eshop? Or Chaotix for PSN / Xbox Live for that matter!?

Due to my never having a Game Boy Advance or 32x, I've never played these games and I'd love to have a go at them - the Advance serries especially!!

I can understand the "issues" with Chatoix being ported over, outstanding character copyright issues (Damn you Mighty!!) but with Dimps being in an active partnership with Sega I can't see why these games have not been re-released yet? Most consider them to be the "true" sequels to the original 4 games, and considering the hype around "classic" sonic after Generations, I think now woul;d be a good time to revisit these games and for people who missed the boat first toime round, to get involved!!

Come on Dimps / Sega, show us some "classic sonic" gameplay love this year and re-release these games, if not in box format, then via e-shop at least!

If this is not forthcoming, is anyone interested in a campaign to get them re-released?

Edited by castell-neath

A Sonic Advance re-release is inevitable with the Wii U eShop supporting Game Boy Advance games.

Still think this is a stupid decision over the 3DS eShop...

• Thumbs Up 5

I think if Nintendo flat-out refuses to release GBA games on their 3DS e-shop, that SEGA should go ahead and make a Sonic Advance Collection game. Just put together all 3 main Advance games and the Pinball Party and Battle spin-offs into one cartridge. Maybe throw in some other unlockable SEGA GBA games for good measure.

• Thumbs Up 5

I can understand the "issues" with Chatoix being ported over, outstanding character copyright issues (Damn you Mighty!!)

There are no ownership issues regarding Mighty.
  • Thumbs Up 3

I think the whole thing about Knuckles' Chaotix is that the game is a bit shit to be honest. Nothing to write home about, and certainly not worth releasing on it's own, would need to be in a collection game.

Edited by DocAzure
  • Thumbs Up 1

Still think this is a stupid decision over the 3DS eShop...

Agreed. I'd love to see the Advance series re-released on 3DS and I don't really see the point to a Wii U re-release. The Advance games were meant to be portable.

But of course what we REALLY need is a re-release of Sonic Genesis...right? Right!? Hey, where are you guys going!?

I think if Nintendo flat-out refuses to release GBA games on their 3DS e-shop, that SEGA should go ahead and make a Sonic Advance Collection game. Just put together all 3 main Advance games and the Pinball Party and Battle spin-offs into one cartridge. Maybe throw in some other unlockable SEGA GBA games for good measure.

Throw in Sonic Pocket Adventure and Sega can have my money.

• Thumbs Up 1

I think the whole thing about Knuckles' Chaotix is that the game is a bit shit to be honest. Nothing to write home about, and certainly not worth releasing on it's own, would need to be in a collection game.

Sonic CD isn't anything special either, and people eat up a re-release of that every time. And, quite frankly, CD is a considerably worse game.

I can understand the "issues" with Chatoix being ported over, outstanding character copyright issues (Damn you Mighty!!) but with Dimps being in an active partnership with Sega I can't see why these games have not been re-released yet? Most consider them to be the "true" sequels to the original 4 games, and considering the hype around "classic" sonic after Generations, I think now woul;d be a good time to revisit these games and for people who missed the boat first toime round, to get involved!!

Other than there being no outstanding character copyright issues with Mighty (he's an active supporting character in the comics), I can sorta see where you're coming from. The Advance games would be great to see re-released, but I think as far as "classic" Sonic hype goes, SEGA is happy just making money off of the original trilogy (and CD) however they can. And they're remarkably successful, even though almost everyone has picked up a re-release of those games in some form by now. If it's true that Wii-U will support a GBA Virtual Console (kinda surprised the Wii-U and 3DS aren't sharing this one, if it is true), I'll be more than happy to drop the money for the Advance trilogy (I missed out on 3) and Battle, should those ever come up.

I'd like to see Sonic Advance rereleased with supported widescreen and a renaming to Sonic the Hedgehog 4 while we forget the other Sonic 4s happened.

On another note,

Sonic CD isn't anything special either, and people eat up a re-release of that every time. And, quite frankly, CD is a considerably worse game.

Sonic CD... worse than Chaotix? Are we thinking of the same game? Because while Chaotix had pretty decent visuals and a great soundtrack, Sonic CD had it better in both and skyrocketed waayy past Chaotix in gameplay factor. CD's gameplay is a bit more hectic than the other classics, sure; but Knuckles Chaotix is pure monotony at its worst.

Rubber band physics + a botched up version of the classic game engine + level design that is nothing but vertical halfpipes upon vertical halfpipes + that eerie feeling of nothingness in the stages.. those things combined, a good game does not make. Especially one to pass a game like Sonic CD.

Edited by Master Azonkonion
  • Thumbs Up 4

Sonic CD... worse than Chaotix? Are we thinking of the same game? Because while Chaotix had pretty decent visuals and a great soundtrack, Sonic CD had it better in both and skyrocketed waayy past Chaotix in gameplay factor. CD's gameplay is a bit more hectic than the other classics, sure; but Knuckles Chaotix is pure monotony at its worst.

Rubber band physics + a botched up version of the classic game engine + level design that is nothing but vertical halfpipes upon vertical halfpipes + that eerie feeling of nothingness in the stages.. those things combined, a good game does not make. Especially one to pass a game like Sonic CD.

*shrug* I've played through CD about three times, so I can only speak from my experiences. I know CD is a game that a lot of people love... I didn't get it at all when I played it (and I really tried to get sucked into the hype). My main issue with CD is the haphazard, terrible level design that seems counter what you're trying to do. All I experienced were levels that had springs that would randomly launch me backward or into spikes, and after a while, you get tried of that. I think on a conceptual level, CD had some things going for it, but its final execution leaves something to be desired. After three playthroughs, trying to see if I could learn to enjoy it, I'm just not warm to CD at all.

Chaotix, on the other hand, I had a lot more fun with. I never had a problem with the "rubber band physics" and I disagree that the levels are empty. They're a lot more fun to explore and keep the momentum of moving forward rather than cutting it down or reversing it completely. Chaotix's worst crime is that the levels are five acts long, with little variety, which does make them monotonous, but that's about the only thing I can think of. For the most part, I just happen to find Chaotix to actually be fun and nowhere near as irritating as I found CD.

I know this may seem obvious, but...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyEUW93qZqY

...I think it would be a great idea to have a hd collection of all three games for PSN/Xbla. Never played them and I would like to. I want to experience what Dimps-Sonic games were like 10 years ago.

Edited by -Bender- Wolverine
  • Thumbs Up 2

A HD remaster of the Advance trilogy would be really awesome; give the sprites the Ducktails Remastered treatment, give the games some changes (like making the chaos emerald stages much easer to get to), and include a lot of Sonic's handheld history (Battle, Pinball Party, Pocket Adventure, maybe as a joke Sonic Genesis) and you have quite the collection. They are great games and while Dimps may be known now for messing up handheld sonic, these were the times when it was the reverse (with Sonic Team making the worse Sonic tittles like Shadow and 06), so they deserve to be played by more people.

I think that the Taxman remake made it a considerably better game; sure the level design in some stages (stupid Wacky Workbench angry.png) is bad, but the added Genesis physics, rock solid 60FPS in the special stages, playable Tails and having both soundtracks all make CD HD a much, much better game than the original. But that's an off topic thing anyway :)

Unless there is anything stopping them from doing so, not sure why they couldn't release another collection game for the 3DS that had all the advanced games and some other games for release on the system in the stores. Sega seems to like doing compilation games of their older games over and over again, so don't see why they wouldn't try doing this with the advanced games. I already own all three myself, but its still a neat idea.

I'd definitely buy the Advanced games if they were re-released. I've only played the 2nd game and never got the Chaos emeralds.

Does the 3DS play GBA games the same as the DS? I've just recently got all three games and sonic blast, carts only but the whole series cost me less than a tenner to collect.

If the 3DS plays them, just get the carts ebay, simples....

Does the 3DS play GBA games the same as the DS? I've just recently got all three games and sonic blast, carts only but the whole series cost me less than a tenner to collect.

No, it doesn't.

If it did, it would be great, but this is why I've had to break out my GBAsp again to play GBA games. My normal DS's top screen barely works anymore and the hinges are getting close to breaking fully. My 3DS works great, but I still need my older systems to play older games.

A Sonic Advance re-release would be nice, but I'm still waiting for Sonic Heroes HD to come out on Xbox live... WHEN WILL IT HAPPEN?

A Sonic Advance re-release would be nice, but I'm still waiting for Sonic Heroes HD to come out on Xbox live... WHEN WILL IT HAPPEN?

Why does it need an HD release? Its the same game with just slightly better graphics. Never understood the appeal of HD rereleases when most of the time its just the same game again ^^;

Wouldn't mind if there is a re-release of Sonic Advance, the 3DS eShop seems like a logical place to put it in but it depends whether Nintendo would be interested putting GBA games on the system is another matter. Sadly the days of compliations are pretty much over (apart from Steam re-release bundles and HD remake trilogies) otherwise you would not only have the GBA games but also another collection with the Rush games/Colours DS. It will probably happen in some point considering that Sonic Advance has been ported in the past (the NGage and I think on mobiles), not sure of 2 and 3 though.

Even though it has been mentioned on the OP, Knuckles Chaotix probably would have to be remade like Sonic CD if it ever wants a re-release due to Sega not knowing how to emulate the 32X for one game (there have been no 32X games that have been commerically emulated to my knowledge, the only games that have reappeared were arcade ports and a PC port to being with and the emulated versions were the original arcade/PC versions). It depends whether someone has the same passion remaking it like with the Taxman Sonic CD remake.

Why does it need an HD release? Its the same game with just slightly better graphics. Never understood the appeal of HD rereleases when most of the time its just the same game again ^^;

For HD re-releases, some people want to play the game on a modern console or that the original version is too expensive to buy and there have been cases where the HD re-release is better than the original version due to running on a higher frame rate or fixed some bugs that were in the original or in a few cases having more content. In the case of Sonic Heroes, there is already a PC release that Sega can quickly port (set it to 720p and call it a HD release) if they wanted to.

To be honest, I feel that the Advance series should have not just a rerelease, but an entire remake for eShop/Steam/PSN/XBLA. A HD remake of an already great series would be a good place for new fans to start when wanting to get into older games; it would be accessible on the new HD consoles. I'd love to be able to play a DT-R-esque remake of the Advance series.

I would love Sega if they did this. It's a genius idea to re - release the Advance series, as it was their bread winner on the GBA.

There were quite a few great Game Gear Sonic games, but I think people would be a lot more familiar with and willing to play a collection of the Advance games instead. If for any other reason, it's relatively new content.