Awoo.

Sonic Lost World @ Gamescom

Zavok the SpinningSilver

See Guys? Thats why your beloved reallistic and full of details graphics had to go, look at that smooth-ass framerate, you don't see that in a not-PC Sonic game these days...

Assuming that I cared so much about the frame rate that it would affect my purchase any more significantly than it has (I don't, and in a lot of instances, upped frame rates make my eyes go weird and remind me of soap operas), are literally the only games in life that are capable of reaching and sustaining 60 fps the ones that look like Sonic Lost World, or would it be possible to attribute part of past games' sketchy frame rates to simply sloppy optimization?

• Thumbs Up 2

Zazz' voice is definitely of interest. His voice is echoing over everything... I'm guessing we'll be hearing that during gameplay? Sort of like the "taunt the good guy as he gets closer" thing some villains do when you're approaching their lair?

Does anyone else think the gameplay seems kind of... boring and dull without the music?

Does anyone else think the gameplay seems kind of... boring and dull without the music?

I actually like the levels that have no music....IDK, it just feels more natural.

Point is, Ps4/Xbone are insanely powerful, there is literally no excuse (not that it is a good one for the Wii U either, mind you) for ditching everything in favor of 60 fps.

The game with beautiful detailed graphics>>>the game with art direction like in SLoW, especially if the fps count is the same.

It may not be quite as detailed as Unleashed and Generations, but I still honestly think it's quite a sight to behold!

This. Sometimes simple is better, you know?

Well, shoot, man, I think this game's art direction is really beautiful. It may not be quite as detailed as Unleashed and Generations, but I still honestly think it's quite a sight to behold!

Come on! Desert Ruins is just plainly bland and empty. Windy Hill isn't much better either. The latter levels are better but still not as great as Generations.

What's even a point in oversimplified art direction and slower speed if you don't have any reason to stop and enjoy beautiful landscapes and attention to details?

This. Sometimes simple is better, you know?

I do and it's not that case.

Edited by ArtFenix

Come on! Desert Ruins is just plainly bland and empty. Windy Hill isn't much better either. The latter levels are better but still not as great as Generations.

To be frank, I disagree. I love the "Sonic Boost" Games's art direction, and I think this game's levels hold up quite well against them.

You come on. I prefer the game not splurting worthless chaotic details in my face. I like it looking clean and bright.

What's even a point in oversimplified art direction and slower speed if you don't have any reason to stop and enjoy beautiful landscapes and attention to details?

I do and it's not that case.

That's your opinion.

I'm sure that kids, the target audience for this game, LOVE to stop playing and appreciate the backgrounds...

To each their own, I for one think it looks great.

• Thumbs Up 1

The trade off is we have more reasons to stop besides "Look at this pretty thing." Now it's "Check out that thing over there that I can run to and interact with."

Of course, the new artstyle still looks beautiful and stands on it's own. Especially in Silent Forest.

Edited by Wraith
  • Thumbs Up 6

If anything is to be remembered about this art style, it's that it looks like a Mario game.

I know most of you won't agree with me on this, but as time goes by I see more and more comparisons between Mario and SLoW. Even on Sonic Retro.

Unique style is OK. Thing is, this style is mostly borrowed from Mario games, it's not really unique. And it sure isn't that memorable.

If anything is to be remembered about this art style, it's that it looks like a Mario game.

Looks like a Genesis game fused with the Galaxy games to me. And I really admire that, especially since Nintendo isn't going to give us a game resembling that anytime soon.

Unique style is OK. Thing is, this style is mostly borrowed from Mario games, it's not really unique. And it sure isn't that memorable.

I disagree. I find massive sandworms, buzz saw flowers, and iced machinery plenty memorable.

Edited by Balding Spider
  • Thumbs Up 2

While I do agree the art style is somewhat similar to what Mario games have looked like in the past few years, you can't just say it's "mostly borrowed from Mario games", because you have no proof that SEGA looked at, say Super Mario 3D Land or Super Mario Galaxy, and thought: "Hey let's make our next Sonic game's art style look like that".

Sorry that this sounds a bit trivial on my end, it just bugs me when people assume a company "borrowed" from another company without anything to back themselves up with other than that they look similar.

Edited by Haden

I know most of you won't agree with me on this, but as time goes by I see more and more comparisons between Mario and SLoW. Even on Sonic Retro.

Okay, allow me to ask you this, then: does a game's art style not being "unique" really make it bad? Not that I agree with your assessment of the artstyle's supposed "lack of originality," but I'm honestly curious.

To be perfectly honest, the Mario comparisons are becoming less relevant the more info we get; I mean we have Nights bosses for one, which is remotely un-Mario like

• Thumbs Up 1

I wonder how many times we're going to have this same exact- "The art style sucks," "nuh-uh," "yuh-huh"- discussion every single time ArtFenix says something about it, especially in light of the fact that

• Thumbs Up 5

I don't think this is the way it works. I can assume that they did that simply by looking at the game. The resemblance with Mario is so clear, I don't even have any doubts they did borrow stuff. And I don't see anything to admire here. I've always admired Sonic when he tried to be his own thing, not Mario look-a-like in terms of art direction or anything else.

Edit: I guess, we should not continue the discussin about that in this topic.(

Edited by ArtFenix

No problem, Indigo; like I said, just take this tangent back to your own thread. That's where it's most appropriate, and overall these various back-and-forths on visuals have just become clutter at this point. We can have the conversation, just not everywhere.

• Thumbs Up 2