Awoo.

Sonic Lost World @ Gamescom

Zavok the SpinningSilver

Just wondering - would a "Boosters Off" switch, kind of like the hintbubble switch, be hard to program?

I don't know, it might not be.

Maybe a beginner's mode where there's speed boosters to help you? 

Dash-pads are usually placed in the beginning of areas that'll have you going fast that you'll most likely be in a slow speed when you get there. They're usually for getting start up speed in straight/flat areas. This is fine. Other times they're placed before Loops which are automated anyway, placed one after another, or just put in unnecassary positions making them pointless. In the Windy hill short-cut, you wouldn't need the boosters if the camera angle didn't change.

I like how nobody was saying this with Unleashed, Colors, and Generations.

I can't speak for everyone, but I know quite a few people who complained about it in Unleashed, Colours and Generations. Even moreso once the hype surrounding the launch period of those games had died down. Suggesting that this hasn't happened is disingenuous.

Really, I'm sick and tired of the crap Lost World is getting when none of this was a big deal to certain players before hand....there is criticism and then there is just digging for something wrong. Boosters have always been a problem...so why NOW all of a sudden its because Sonic Team has a lack of faith in their engine...you might as well apply that logic since Sonic Adventure.

I do apply that logic to pretty much all 3D Sonic games, including the Adventures.

This is not just applying to boosters...I'm seeing a whole bunch of people fuss about things that they would have easily turned a blind eye too or not fuss about as much if this was another Unleashed style game (speaking in general).

What would have a blind eye turned to it?

Boosters? I disliked their over abundance in Generations. Certainly Dio, Blue Blood, amongst others complained about it.

EDIT:

I guess complaining about certain things during the hype-phase of a Sonic game launch is a foolish idea. Once all that hype has died down, and the game has been out for a while, we'll start seeing more and more complaints cropping up. I mean, if I remember correctly, that's exactly what happened with Unleashed, Colours and Generations.

Edited by Scar
  • Thumbs Up 3

It's not about hype.  It's about the fact that the game isn't out and we've only seen a handful of levels.  We don't know that this is a problem yet.  

It's not about hype.  It's about the fact that the game isn't out and we've only seen a handful of levels.  We don't know that this is a problem yet.  

I hope it doesn't have an over abundance of speed boosters. I really do. But Wind Hill isn't setting a great example.

EDIT: 

And I'm more tackling with the claim that nobody complained about boosters in the Boost Trilogy, which that is clearly not the case.

Edited by Scar

I can't speak for everyone, but I know quite a few people who complained about it in Unleashed, Colours and Generations. Even moreso once the hype surrounding the launch period of those games had died down. Suggesting that this hasn't happened is disingenuous.

I do apply that logic to pretty much all 3D Sonic games, including the Adventures.

What would have a blind eye turned to it?

Boosters? I disliked their over abundance in Generations. Certainly Dio, Blue Blood, amongst others complained about it.

EDIT:

I guess complaining about certain things during the hype-phase of a Sonic game launch is a foolish idea. Once all that hype has died down, and the game has been out for a while, we'll start seeing more and more complaints cropping up. I mean, if I remember correctly, that's exactly what happened with Unleashed, Colours and Generations.

Don't forget Sonic 4, /especially/ concerning Episode I.

And no, it's not foolish, at least IMO. I'm sure it namely depends on how you express it as far as I'm concerned and also whatever aspect of the game you're criticizing is prone to subjective or objective critique. I personally am not too skeptical about Lost World because I think it's a (much-needed) breath of fresh air compared to the past two games, but I can at least understand (if not agree) with some of your complaints and given so far you've been civil about your criticism I don't think you should keep mum on it.

Automation is only a problem when there's too much of it(Like Sonic 4) because there's little to no reason the game should be playing itself beyond trying to look flashy and cool. There's nothing really wrong with flashy moments in Sonic games, but there's no reason there has to be so much of it or for the control to be taken out of the player's hand.

Like, do we really need boosters for something as simple as changing direction?

I like how nobody was saying this with Unleashed, Colors, and Generations.

I was!

Just wondering - would a "Boosters Off" switch, kind of like the hintbubble switch, be hard to program?

Making a toggle just for the boosters would be easy enough, I think. But there are legitimate uses for boosters, and there could be areas that would need more work than simply removing the boosters (ones with special camera angles, for example), so it'd be more complicated than that.

Am I the only one who still remembers that all of the automated parts we've seen in Windy Hill were described by the actual uploader of the video-- who either played the game himself or was there long enough to see how the level design panned out across all of Windy Hill stages available-- as only being in one stage? Subsequently, am I the only one who remembers that we've seen other levels in play that simply don't rely on it as much or are completely absent of it: The rest of Windy Hill, the two Frozen Factory levels, Desert/Dessert Ruins, and Silent Forest for the non-grinding sections. Subsequently, how did this blow up into a conversation about too many boosters? I can understand projecting from available info, especially if Windy Hill 3 was the only level we still knew about. But we it's not the only level we know about. We've seen tons of other levels revealed. We can kind of gauge a general idea of how the rest of the game will play, and Booster Central is not it.

Srsly, what happened?

• Thumbs Up 2

I can't speak for everyone, but I know quite a few people who complained about it in Unleashed, Colours and Generations. Even moreso once the hype surrounding the launch period of those games had died down. Suggesting that this hasn't happened is dising

What you say is indeed very true. People have always complained about it..the issue is certain things were not blown out of proprtion as huge deals in the past by certain people in the fanbase.

This is what I see happening...(just an example)

*Past Games*

Person A: Wow I love/loved Generations/Colors/Unleashed/Adventure... there might be some fault in it, but I still like the game anyway!

Person B: Wow I don't like the look of this game at all...and LOoK FUCKING BOOSTERS ARE EVERYWHERE! Sonic Team has no faith in themselves at all. Even in this shitty game.

*Lost World*

Person A: Wow I don't like the look of this game at all...and LOOK FUCKING BOOSTERS ARE EVERYWHERE! Sonic Team has no faith in themselves at all. Even in this shitty game.

Person B: Wow I love/loved Lost World... there might be some fault in it, but I still like the game anyway!

Person C: Wait a sec A...didn't you sorta let this-

Person A: NOPE! DON'T CARE! I DONT LIKE THE FEEL OR THE LOOK OF THIS GAME...So I'm going to overblow past issues for this specfic game to make my point sound more sophsticated completely ignoring what I said on other titles. Maybe if they made this game my way I wouldn't mind so much.

Person C: .....

There are people that have been defending Unleashed and ALL of its faults since day one across the whole fanbase, but  some people in the Unleashed crowd don't like Lost World now they are giving so much flack dismissing past issues that  have not actually effected them too much in terms of enjoying the game. And some of the basis of this complaint is SIMPLY THE GAME ART STYLE!

Sorry if I'm being a bit overbearing, but to me its absoltely infurating. There a differance between pointing out a flaw in a new system and then calling out ST not having faith in thier ability to make a game.

Srsly, what happened?

This reminds me of when Unleashed era complainers were giving SOOO much flack to Generations because of the simple level design of Green Hill and Chemical Plant. Then Sky Sactunary and City Escape came out and they stopped complaining and actually were impressed with what they saw....then went right back to fussing completely ignoring the new material shown...its as if the people's mentalities have done a complete 180 with this game to the point of being antagonstic about it.

I remember clearly who  the Unleashed era defenders and complainers was in the past...atleast the most louder ones. The insincerity that going on is crazy. These folks opnions will completely be invalidated by me in everyway...instead of having GROUNDED standards they are floaty depending whether they like it or not. (In this case just the fucking artstyle forsome people)

I mean if I have to dig through the past and spend a day pointing out excat examples of what I'm talking about I fucking will! I for one...didn't just up and forget the conversations of the past in this board.

Edited by Voyant

There a differance between pointing out a flaw in a new system and then calling out ST not having faith in thier ability to make a game.

When they build games around limiting the player and doing things for them I think that's a pretty reasonable suggestion. 

This reminds me of when Unleashed era complainers were giving SOOO much flack to Generations because of the simple level design of Green Hill and Chemical Plant. Then Sky Sactunary and City Escape came out and they stopped complaining and actually were impressed with what they saw....then went right back to fussing completely ignoring the new material shown...

Or maybe those levels just aren't that impressive? Sky Sanctuary is one of the better levels in the game, but it's still not all that great.

Also City Escape kinda sucked?

When they build games around limiting the player and doing things for them I think that's a pretty reasonable suggestion. 

Or maybe those levels just aren't that impressive? Sky Sanctuary is one of the better levels in the game, but it's still not all that great.

Also City Escape kinda sucked?

Dio I remember CLEARLY you stating a comment about City Escape in good light when it as first shown...and the fact that you commented on what I said shows you know what I'm talking about. Don't make me go find it XD.  I remember TurboJet having it as its signature for a couple months actually.

We even got into quite the tussel about this issue in the past.

Edited by Voyant

Have you even looked at a Sonic Unleashed or Sonic Generations discussion? People complain about the heavy automation all the time - I'm pretty sure that's why plenty of people still dislike Generations despite beign miles ahead of previous games, unless I've actually been looking at discussions on other games and never noticed

edit: ^ opinions can change you know. Just. Saying.

Edited by Blitz 'n Burst

Dio I remember CLEARLY you stating a comment about City Escape in good light when it as first shown

I wouldn't doubt that I said it looks better than GHZ, and that I liked the grassy area not being a narrow hallway. But after playing through it and seeing what it actually offers, it's a pretty shit level.

Have you even looked at a Sonic Unleashed or Sonic Generations discussion? People complain about the heavy automation all the time - I'm pretty sure that's why plenty of people still dislike Generations despite beign miles ahead of previous games, unless I've actually been looking at discussions on other games and never noticed

True, but now some of those same people that have taken a liking to Lost World aren't letting it effect them too much about it comapred to previous titles some are even using the same excuses that Unleashed defenders used. Its just personally making me upset a tad.

I wouldn't doubt that I said it looks better than GHZ, and that I liked the grassy area not being a narrow hallway. But after playing through it and seeing what it actually offers, it's a pretty shit level.

Then I'm with Scar on the case tha previous discussion on watched material is preety pointless on an emotional level...I mean...there are some users who are emotionally effected about the changes of the game without touching the game yet even more amplified by the fact that this is a brand new gameplay style. We have nothing to base off from apart from except galaxy to make a idea from and its still not enough. I just think a wait and see is a much more logical mental state than letting it get into your head to the point of making yourself angry.

Edited by Voyant

Sorry if this is old, but I just noticed Tails's plane seems to look as if it got shot down. I thought they were just heading down. >.<

Edited by Autosaver