Awoo.

Sonic Lost World @ Gamescom

Zavok the SpinningSilver

If I am to contribute to the discussion............

I do believe that Sonic's walk speed in SLW is a little bit too slow. I believe they should have gone for more a SA1 or 2 speed for his walk speed: slow, but not slow to the point where you don't feel like Sonic. I think the running speed is fine though.

Yeah. If Sonic's walking speed was brought up to that level, I wouldn't have too much of a problem with the tier speed thing. It wouldn't make the precise platforming any harder than it may be.

Thoughts about the game:

• it looks nice
  • that snow level looks hard
  • I'm still not very keen towards Windy Hill's music, for some reason...
  • I like the main theme, now that I hear it in full - makes me think of an orchestral variant of the kind of classic Sonic title fanfares we all know and love.
  • Looks like they've got a bit of a leitmotif thing going on, as far as I can see - they don't use the same theme, per se, but I can feel various motifs that all the themes so far share. They could just be a result of being from the same composer, though, but he isn't this constant with the similarities usually, so I'd call it intentional.
  • silent forest isn't that silent
  • silent froest music i liek
  • silent forest looks sweet
  • sanic's standing pose reminds me of sonci 1
  • ooh boy dat jazz

Summed-up opinion:

• isnt sanic's last wurld
  • I'm relatively optimistic about the music now. It's still not gonna be my most favorite Sonic soundtrack anytime soon, but all the tracks (for the most part) fit the levels and they all sound pretty darn sweet!
  • im going to have 2 maek remix of main them
  • will u gaiz plz stahp taklin ova mi moosac kthx
  • the game looks cool i guess
  • This joke is getting old.

ALSO:

I do believe that Sonic's walk speed in SLW is a little bit too slow.

You mean Sonic's walk speed in SLW is a little bit too... slw

*kicked out from the stage*

Edited by Can of Nothing
  • Thumbs Up 1

Gamestop preview.

"The sheep will try to knock you off the stage"

WHAT! SHAUN IS A VILLAIN!?

I think the walking speed is suited perfectly in this game, since later levels have shown us how incredibly precise hazards and platforming gets, I'd rather have my fuck ups in a level be down to my own actions rather than blaming them on Sonic being too fast in his walking speed to slip off or jump too far over a platform thank you.

• Thumbs Up 1

So every time I write something obvious, I should back that up as well? Even though it's already obvious? It's like expaining Colors' jokes again and again.

I posted a vid from 06. Did it change anything? No. The truth remains: 06 is faster than SLW for the most part, especially in mach speed sections.

Stop trying to state that it's an obvious truth especially when the majority would say otherwise.  Makes you look like an obnoxious asshole.  I agree Lost World is slower than most Sonic games but 06 isn't one of them and it's certainly faster than any 3D Mario game.

...still faster than most of SLW, which is whole my point.

And my whole point is that it isn't.

Taking away all the challenge in destroying all enemies, right? Making the enemies not really enemies, but cannon-fodder.

06's enemies weren't exactly a threat either.  Homing Attack for Sonic, despite having a variety of moves, was the optimal way to destroy almost all of the enemies in 06 (with the occasional bounce attack on the bigger ones).  If they were a threat it was due to the game's poor control.  At least Lost World establishes a balance in terms of Sonic's moveset.

I don't really think it's fair to compare a rushed game with very realistic graphics and detailed everything (which came out 7 years ago) with a game with barren levels and oversimplified art direction (which is also quite slow). OF COURSE the performance should be better!

The comparison is fair because it still is relevant to the initial argument you established  of '06 is faster than Lost World', and the frame rate is a factor to the overall speed of the game.

The video I posted wasn't a speed run either and I did that on purpose for having a more fair comparison.

And yet you'll struggle to find a video that's much faster than that for 06 barring one that exploits massive glitches in the game.  It's still hardly a fair comparison considering most of the Lost World footage we've seen has been demoing the game.

The whole point of making mach speed sections in S06 was to make up for the lack of speed in that game and you know what? It's true for SLW as well! Except in S06 the mach speed sections were worthy of that name and were actually FAST while in SLW they're still fairly slow thus making the whole idea of them being in the game stupid and illogical.

There were 4 mach speed sections in the entire game.  They hardly made up for the fact that 95% of the game is still slow as fuck.  Not to mention, regardless of whether or not they were fast they weren't fun to play at all and the control was absolutely atrocious.

Also, half of this post diverges from the main argument you were trying to establish in the first place.  

Responses in bold.  Seriously we could go back and fourth with this all day, it's not getting us anywhere.

• Thumbs Up 1

OK, so break away from the ****fest, Gamespot have a preview of Sonic Lost World on youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZ5OSu76rk8

Now viewable for the people at the UK.

OK, so break away from the ****fest, Gamespot have a preview of Sonic Lost World on youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZ5OSu76rk8

Now viewable for the people at the UK.

I was first, and you're like the third person who's posted..........

To whoever played Lost World at SOS

How was Sonic's Running speed?

goddammitimactuallypostinginsonicdiscussion

I was first, and you're like the third person who's posted..........

Sorry, I only saw Auto posting that footage on yahoo

It looks fantastic. Pretty graphics and I like the little sheep that run at you. Quite cute actually. X3

I'm also really glad you can control Sonic's speed now, because God knows how many times I died in Unleashed because Sonic wouldn't slow down or just went too fast to control. Then there's Sonic 06... >_>

Edit: Snow ball part looks fun but very tricky.

Is the Black Bomb Wisp only obtainable by sharing through Miiverse?

Also, do the Speed Arrows remind anyone of the Speedways from the Spyro games?

Edited by Son1ctrainer

Yeah, I'm pretty sure we all guessed/seen it by now.

What's interesting, however, is how it seems to be another Nega-Wisp - I'm hoping there's some kind of justification for this, such as Hyper-Go-On being involved in the plot.

Edited by Can of Nothing

Anyone else noticed this?

layw4.png

New Wisp. Black Bomb form?

Yep. Is it just me, or does that there Black Wisp look almost... robotic? Maybe it's the glowing purple eyes, idk.

That's a lot more creepy than void

You mean it's creepier than this?!

Violet_Void_Opening.png

So is the Black Wisp obtainable through normal gameplay, or is there something else you need to do to unlock it?

Also, here are the removed GIFs from my previous post. Couldn't post all of them at once.

3l5.gif

6cr.gif

bhdl.gif

6nq7.gif

Spinning Silver, on 20 Aug 2013 - 17:37, said:Yep. Is it just me, or does that there Black Wisp look almost... robotic? Maybe it's the glowing purple eyes, idk.

You mean it's creepier than this?!

I take that back that's some nightmare fuel right there

Why is Sonic skating? Does he now do a skating animation when on ice?

tvqb.gif

So is the Black Wisp obtainable through normal gameplay, or is there something else you need to do to unlock it?

Also, here are the removed GIFs from my previous post. Couldn't post all of them at once.

3l5.gif

6cr.gif

bhdl.gif

6nq7.gif

That would be an interesting gameplay mechanic. What if there were artificial Wisps that Tails made? Might explain the Black Wisp's apperance.

What I meant to say is, if you take away the grinding sections in SIlent Forest, you will have a standart Mario level both structure-wise, style-wise and speed-wise.

Thing is, Sonic is not a racing game, Sonic is a plataforming game, you know, the same genre as Mario... So yeah, at some point, we NEED to slow down and do some plataforming, because that's what all the games have been all about... Oh yeah, taking the grinding section, It's totally just like Mario, I remember that Mario Game where the forest level had you going fast fighting Egg Pawns, Badniks, Giant Robotic Crocodiles, and rescuing Animals from capsules while avoiding mud and trying to open flowers by using imprisioned Butterflies... Wait...

Dude, Sonic was always about stuff being weird and crazy, there's nothing ''Mario'' about it, the first games had you fighting a Egg-Shapped doctor to stop a Death Star with a moustache, Adventure 1 had Sonic falling from the Egg Carrier in a cartoony style, SA2 tried to take itself seriously, and that only brought plot holes and inconsistencies , and just when we're starting to come back to the main focus: A game about plataforming, speed and not taking itself too seriously, you want it to go back to being serious? Because that's what I get from all your ''Negativity''.

inAnmtm.png

...Spring Stadium Spider, is that you?

S3dssbadnik2.png

Wish I could see the face more clearly, but the coloring and style of the legs instantly made me think of that little guy.

• Thumbs Up 3

Thing is, Sonic is not a racing game, Sonic is a plataforming game, you know, the same genre as Mario... So yeah, at some point, we NEED to slow down and do some plataforming, because that's what all the games have been all about... Oh yeah, taking the grinding section, It's totally just like Mario, I remember that Mario Game where the forest level had you going fast fighting Egg Pawns, Badniks, Giant Robotic Crocodiles, and rescuing Animals from capsules while avoiding mud and trying to open flowers by using imprisioned Butterflies... Wait...

Dude, Sonic was always about stuff being weird and crazy, there's nothing ''Mario'' about it, the first games had you fighting a Egg-Shapped doctor to stop a Death Star with a moustache, Adventure 1 had Sonic falling from the Egg Carrier in a cartoony style, SA2 tried to take itself seriously, and that only brought plot holes and inconsistencies , and just when we're starting to come back to the main focus: A game about plataforming, speed and not taking itself too seriously, you want it to go back to being serious? Because that's what I get from all your ''Negativity''.

One slapstick event means that Adventure never had serious moments? That would mean SA2 wouldn't either because Eggman scratches his arse and throws a tantrum. Oh, and having serious scenes =/= plot holes and inconsistencies.

Edited by Pawn

One slapstick event means that Adventure never had serious moments? That would mean SA2 wouldn't either because Eggman scratches his arse and throws a tantrum. Oh, and having serious scenes =/= plot holes and inconsistencies.

Yeah I scratch what I said about Sonic Adventure, that was a bad example. But about the whole taking itself seriously= Plot holes, its mostly because they decided to give a really big story on this one, Shadow's past, Robotnik's plans, Sonic's escape, Knuckles' reason to even BE there, and with that, some plot points kinda have no explanation, like, what's Robotnik's plan? Blow up the Earth? Why?! What happened to Shadow? Gerald said Shadow would be his revenge, as if reprograming his mind... Shouldn't he be on prision island? How did he even added the whole ''Falling on Earth'' thing on the ARK if he's supposed to be under arrest RIGHT after he finds out Maria's dead?

These are some of the things I don't think were explained in the game, at all, and any theories are just... Well, theories, not stuff from the game itself, all because the story was trying to be big and taking itself seriously, and up to this day I dont even know what ending should be canon, since SEGA said the Hero ending is canon, but the Final Story is obviously right after the Dark Ending.