Awoo.

Characters you don't want to return

Chaos Incarnate

In regards to the inclusion of the other echidna characters (any of them, not just the one being debated here), I don't think it really matters.  Even if Sega decided to include another echidna character, it wouldn't really ruin anything since everything that really defined his character up until SA2 has been retconned or elsewise completely ignored.  It's not like being the last of his kind was ever essential to his conflict (in the games) or that he's shown to be disheartened over the fact.  The only thing we get regarding actual conflict and connection with his origins and backstory is a relatively brief exploration of his ancestors before Sega decides that writing anything more would be too much work and haphazardly write in a "perhaps it's better this way" ending to spare them the trouble of having to flesh out the character more.  So really, Knuckles being the sole surviving echidna is more of a footnote than anything.

Edited by Akito
  • Thumbs Up 2

Blaze. Yes, I said it. Her plotline of other dimensional princess has been done. Her excuse of 'its the Sol Emeralds will that Im here' doesnt work anymore (all that way, just for birthday cake?}. Id just rather she didnt come back in a main game. Shes ok for olympics though.

I actually find blaze to be an interesting character and would like to see her have more importance in the main games, unfortunately that can't happen since she is from another dimension. how about "by the will of the Sol Emeralds i will stay in this dimension"? Cause i would love to see her be a big main character. i feel like she has a lot of good potential that could be used in the main games. 

Edited by Insane121

Knuckles did seem pretty disheartened in SA1. His whole monologue in the beginning seems to stem from a frustration or confusion over why he's here and what he's doing, which is only so because it's apparent he doesn't have any relatives around to explain to him why his situation is what it is.

• Thumbs Up 1

Her and her tribes sudden appearance with absolutely zero foreshadowing in games beforehand and the palpable sense that this was only done as a means of making a mark on Sonic continuity despite being completely in vain because it's ultimately non-canon comes off to me as contrived. Knuckles has always been established as the last of his kind and I see no good reason as to why that needed to be shaken-up for the sake of plot points that were already satisfactorily tied-up.

But what about Sonic Battle? Gerald's notes made reference to a "fourth great civilization" that he believed created Emerl. Then in Chronicles, we learn that the fourth great civilization were the Nocturnus Tribe. Also, I have always assumed that the "last of his kind" thing refers more to his tribe than to his entire species.

I actually find blaze to be an interesting character and would like to see her have more importance in the main games, unfortunately that can't happen since she is from another dimension. how about "by the will of the Sol Emeralds i will stay in this dimension"? Cause i would love to see her be a big main character. i feel like she has a lot of good potential that could be used in the main games. 

Why not have Blaze be the star of her own series? That would be a good way to show off more of the Sol Dimension, and would allow Blaze to have a large role without relying on inter-dimensional travel.

• Thumbs Up 3

But what about Sonic Battle? Gerald's notes made reference to a "fourth great civilization" that he believed created Emerl. Then in Chronicles, we learn that the fourth great civilization were the Nocturnus Tribe. Also, I have always assumed that the "last of his kind" thing refers more to his tribe than to his entire species.

There was nothing to tie the fourth civilization to echidnas until Chronicles did it, though.

Also that reminds me that Chronicles pisses me off for cheapening Emerl's backstory.

You mean other than get him out of his sidekick/comic relief role he's been stuck in, lately? Honestly, the whole last of his kind seems kind of pointless if he's going to be stuck in these roles.

Omochao, please for the love of Sonic, no more f*cking Omochao.

I can't really think of anyone I hate enough to not return (besides Omochao), but I would like for them to bring Big back.

• Thumbs Up 1

Knuckles did seem pretty disheartened in SA1. His whole monologue in the beginning seems to stem from a frustration or confusion over why he's here and what he's doing, which is only so because it's apparent he doesn't have any relatives around to explain to him why his situation is what it is.

Even that seemed like a sort of side note to me, or just something to connect the beginning and the end.  He was curious... never bring it up ever again... and now he's not!  I swear, the first time I played it, I completely forgot he had that monologue at the beginning, so it felt like it came out of left field when he brought it up again towards the end.

I have like maybe one character I would not want to see. I would like to say Do NOT let Sonic06 decide Silver in your opinion of him! :) What is with the Cream dislike? :( Amy is to Sonic as Cream is to Tails. Cream is nice and has angry side to her which takes lot to make her unleash it. :) I want Marine to come back. The only one I would not want to come back is Sally unless she has her own non Sonic boyfriend or she becomes a lesbian. They need to make sure that the focus is not just on 3 hedgehogs Sonic, Shadow, and Silver only. Poor Amy she is hedgehog girl why not her? :(

Edited by TailsTellsTales
  • Thumbs Up 2

Her and her tribes sudden appearance with absolutely zero foreshadowing in games beforehand and the palpable sense that this was only done as a means of making a mark on Sonic continuity despite being completely in vain because it's ultimately non-canon comes off to me as contrived. Knuckles has always been established as the last of his kind and I see no good reason as to why that needed to be shaken-up for the sake of plot points that were already satisfactorily tied-up.

Eh. I don't mind her too much because she's supposed to be an expy of Julie Su from the comics. Seeing the similarities now though really makes me with she was written better from the get go. She's not that great of a character and yeah it messes with the whole "Knuckles is the last of his kind" schtick, but it's the thought that counts I guess.

It's a little pet peeve of mine that a key trait like that is screwed around a bit too, but I honestly don't really care all that much as long as it leads to a good story. But that's just me.

You know what else I think? Some characters that I don't really think should come back for a little while? The Chaotix.

WAIT. *puts on flame shield* Let's be reasonable here. I LOVE the Chaotix. All of them have interesting personalities and quirks to them that make them all good characters, no matter what continuity you mention.

At this point though, they don't really serve a purpose. They're a detective agency that has a few hijinks here and there now. They solve mysteries. Unless Eggman starts getting a lot more secretive or there is a mystery needed to be solved in the Sonic universe, these guys aren't going to find work any time soon.

...Ok. You're all free to throw your fiery tomatoes now.

• Thumbs Up 4

It's a little pet peeve of mine that a key trait like that is screwed around a bit too

If that's screwing around with a trait then what's a proper way to make use of it?

Eh. I don't mind her too much because she's supposed to be an expy of Julie Su from the comics. Seeing the similarities now though really makes me with she was written better from the get go. She's not that great of a character and yeah it messes with the whole "Knuckles is the last of his kind" schtick, but it's the thought that counts I guess.

It's a little pet peeve of mine that a key trait like that is screwed around a bit too, but I honestly don't really care all that much as long as it leads to a good story. But that's just me.

You know what else I think? Some characters that I don't really think should come back for a little while? The Chaotix.

WAIT. *puts on flame shield* Let's be reasonable here. I LOVE the Chaotix. All of them have interesting personalities and quirks to them that make them all good characters, no matter what continuity you mention.

At this point though, they don't really serve a purpose. They're a detective agency that has a few hijinks here and there now. They solve mysteries. Unless Eggman starts getting a lot more secretive or there is a mystery needed to be solved in the Sonic universe, these guys aren't going to find work any time soon.

...Ok. You're all free to throw your fiery tomatoes now.

The Chaotix barely appear as it is, it'd be heartbreaking if they got even more irrelevant.

If that's screwing around with a trait then what's a proper way to make use of it?

I'd figure you could write around it or something. It's more of the consistency factor than anything else. I get frustrated with it at first if it feels like it's completely thrown out of left field.

For Knuckles specifically, it's different than, say, Archie as it seemed to drop more hints at there being more echidnas with their lore. There wasn't that much foreshadowing in the games saying that Knuckles wasn't the last, because that's what Sega wanted us to believe. That's why it was a slight bit of my own pet peeve, as it screws around with me a little. It's weird. tongue.png

The Chaotix barely appear as it is, it'd be heartbreaking if they got even more irrelevant.

That is true. I really just want them to be more relevant to the story every once in a while, like in the final story of Shadow perhaps. Otherwise, they feel like their just taking up space, and that hurts man.

The only one I would not want to come back is Sally unless she has her own non Sonic boyfriend or she becomes a lesbian.

What.... what is...... I don't even........?

Sally only appeared in that one little cameo in Spinball. She's just in the comics.

• Thumbs Up 1

I have a sweet spot for the Chaotix. I liked them in Sonic Heroes and waaaayyy back in Knuckles Chaotix for the 32X. I still have the comic adaptation too. Also I miss Mighty being apart of the group...Stupid copyrights..

I'll only mention useless or reocurring characters like: 

Well there's Rouge the Sex bait bat Agent (I mean sexy in a bad way) she does, ummmmmmm nothing.

In fact she'd be better w/shadow and omega together.

Silver: I'm from the future and stuff. Why are you in the present then? 

Blaze: I'm from another dimension, unless sonic rush 3 is the 3rd nintendo game, get her out of the main series.

Pretty much I've said my mind, I'm good w/everyone else, although my ideal vision of a perfect cast is this: 

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRFCqzpgbRTUTXZcfSHqKxOR7uTaeN0dJL-nrqfWIJFizR9ID6Jfg

Good ol team sonic, It'd also be ideal if Amy were gooone...

Edited by Sunic Man

I don't want Marine to come back. She was just awful. An annoying nuisance.

"Aussie, Aussie, Aussie!"

"Oi! Oi! Oi!"

"Oi! Oi! Oi!"    

"Aussie!"

"Oi!"    

"Aussie!"

"Oi!"  

"Oi! Oi! Oi!"  

...apologies to Australians everywhere...

Edited by Spinning Silver
  • Thumbs Up 2

There's not really any character I wouldn't want return aside from those with narrative reasons for not being around. I don't really see the point in denying characters a chance to shine or improve, and barring them only further prevents them from redeeming themselves. 

There was nothing to tie the fourth civilization to echidnas until Chronicles did it, though.

Also that reminds me that Chronicles pisses me off for cheapening Emerl's backstory.

Er...how does it cheapen Emerl's backstory?

Does explaining what we don't know equate to being cheap or what?

"Hurt?" Well no, most of the plotholes and retcons in this series aren't "hurtful." But it is a continuity niggle under a context that "last of his kind" literally means every single other echidna- in this dimension and all others- has ceased to exist. And I don't see why one would assume this context isn't the one Sega would be operating under, considering it would make no sense to continually reiterate it if there was so much wiggle room about it that we could throw in more of them without any sort of conflict whatsoever.

The "last of his kind" can mean anything, neither of which Sega made concrete to be operating under. They could mean the last on earth for all we know, meaning they could loophole that completely and bring more into the series like Bioware was given the green light to do with Chronicles. And I don't see how anyone could be so certain what context Sega would operate under when they haven't given one beyond what we currently knew about. They're probably reiterating it because they never made Chronicles canon, but nothing is stopping them from using that to make wiggle room to bring in more echidnas if they so please.

The only reason I see one would be so deadset to assume their definition means every other echidna in this and all other dimensions are gone, and nothing else when they never explored any other dimension beyond the Twilight Cage with Echidnas in them, is because they don't want them to make use of Chronicles echidnas or make room for such characters, which - as much of a problem I have with Chronicles plot - I don't see the problem with retooling and reintroducing them from the blandfest they originally were. Whether or not they would do so is up to them, now how they do it is a different matter.

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonîc
  • Thumbs Up 2

I've never liked the Babylon Rogues myself, so I could do without them returning. I wouldn't mind if GUN as a whole didn't come back either, I've never cared for the idea of having a semi-realistic military group in the series. Not to mention that their robot/vehicle designs aren't particularly memorable, atleast in my opinion. Having them in a minor role might be neat, but I really don't want them to be driving part of a story again.

I would like to say Do NOT let Sonic06 decide Silver in your opinion of him!

Why shouldn't that decide your opinion for him? That's the only main game in the series where he had an important role, unless you count the Sonic Rivals games. I haven't played them in a long time, but I don't remember him being substantially better in those either.

• Thumbs Up 3

Omega: 

Did he have to return in Sonic Heroes, really?
...that's Gamma, in SA. They're two completely different robots.

You know, I actually think that the Babylon Rogues could have been very interesting heroic pain in the asses towards much of the cast. They're not as ruthless as Team Dark or GUN, they can screw with the more morally heroic characters, and they can seriously mess with the villains.

Or that would be the case if Sonic Team didn't make it to where almost every new character that's antagonistic to Sonic becomes his friendly rival in some way.

I don't want Marine to come back. She was just awful. An annoying nuisance.

I thought she was funny character. :)Perhaps you only made mistake and mean to say. Oops somebody had problem with message it got deleted because supposedly it mean message. :blink:

ErrorNoquote

Okay fine than not everybody likes Marine the Raccoon! Or like how hurricanes are named where names at the end of alphabet are rarely ever used than! Edited by TailsTellsTales

You know, it's one thing to disagree or fix someone's analysis, but it is generally rude to "fix" someone's opinion by altering it to say what you want them to say to make it favorable only for yourself.

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonîc
  • Thumbs Up 1

You know, it's one thing to disagree or fix someone's analysis, but it is generally rude to "fix" someone's opinion by altering it to say what you want them to say to make it favorable only for yourself.

Really? Even though I put original on there and mean no harm by it than?

I've never liked the Babylon Rogues myself, so I could do without them returning. I wouldn't mind if GUN as a whole didn't come back either, I've never cared for the idea of having a semi-realistic military group in the series. Not to mention that their robot/vehicle designs aren't particularly memorable, atleast in my opinion. Having them in a minor role might be neat, but I really don't want them to be driving part of a story again.

Why shouldn't that decide your opinion for him? That's the only main game in the series where he had an important role, unless you count the Sonic Rivals games. I haven't played them in a long time, but I don't remember him being substantially better in those either.

Because if you started out in some bad game than you would not want that to count against you. It is just like getting 1 D in all of high school and only focusing on that instead of the ABC's you know.
  • Thumbs Up 1

The D doesn't stop being a D just because you get a few Bs later.

Also I've never liked Silver in any game he's been in anyway.

• Thumbs Up 1