Awoo.

Characters you don't want to return

Chaos Incarnate

...that's Gamma, in SA. They're two completely different robots.

...oh well where ever I heard this knowledge, yah my mistake

The D doesn't stop being a D just because you get a few Bs later.

No, but the D is a sign that you seriously need to improve something to get those few Bs to make up for it later on. It shouldn't invalidate everything else.

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonîc
  • Thumbs Up 1

I could go wholeheartedly without Silver or the Babylon Rogues.

Silver's still hilariously popular to a good part of the fanbase (for reasons I have yet to still understand) and is even more hilariously / nonsensically paired with Blaze. I feel like I'd like him more if they worked with him a bit, but I'm somehow doubting that will ever happen.

As for the Babylon Rogues.. well, they can't seem to bring them back without making them the plot point (which means bringing in hoverboards), so see ya Rogues. :v

And as much as I hate to say it, I'm kinda not feeling a return for Shadow. Maybe that's because his unnecessary return after his apparent death in SA2 followed by his entire backstory and personality being annihilated by the games to follow kinda has left a bad taste in my mouth even to this day. So even if he ever comes back in another game, I feel this weird mixture of "aww yeah" and "blegh", since its cool that he's back and doing awesome skating things while being a smarm-ass, but at the same time everything he's been through just makes it feel like its not worth it.

Edited by Master Azonkonion
  • Thumbs Up 1

I'm of the opinion that any character that has been introduced (that isn't dead) is totally capable of reappearing in one form or another, as long as they are relevant to the canon. I am hard pressed to find any character that should not reappear or be referenced to in the main series continuity. Using Wanted posters for some of those old faces in Generation's City Escape is one example. There's nothing wrong with that. A passing reference or a flashback to the Black Arms or Maria is fine, too. 

It's just really hard for me to justify axing a character completely. A character can remain the same while still undergoing changes or some mild retcons, kind of like what happened to the Chaotix. You could even make something interesting out of the whole Babylonian backstory if you worked hard enough.

If I had to pick, I'd shoot for one of the main villains in Sonic 2006, but thankfully that game is rendered non-canon altogether (same for Chronicles, really dodged a bullet there), Generations plothole aside. Aside from that, I'd probably have to pick...

Super/Hyper Knuckles, Super Tails and Hyper Sonic, along with the Super Emeralds.

They aren't characters, but they are forms and plot devices that are completely irrelevant to the series now. They are as good as non-canon while still existing within probably the best Sonic game of it's time. I really don't want to see more super forms than what are necessary, and the Super Emeralds (and therefore Hyper Sonic) are redundant. The point of the Chaos Emeralds was that they were infinite in power. How can you become more infinite?! 

I know there are some members 'round here who love super forms, but at some point you gotta draw the line - Super Sonic is enough, and the only reason Super Shadow gets a free pass is because it's appeared more than once, and he was designed to utilize the Emeralds this way to begin with. Super Silver is a gray area since 06 is non-canon, so until he transforms in a game again, it may as well never have happened.

• Thumbs Up 3

Silver's still hilariously popular to a good part of the fanbase (for reasons I have yet to still understand)

Telekinesis, comes from the future, Super Form, etc.

Is it really that difficult to understand, especially when they (like every other fan) tends to broadcast exactly why they like him?

Telekinesis, comes from the future, Super Form, etc.

Is it really that difficult to understand, especially when they (like every other fan) tends to broadcast exactly why they like him?

Yes.

Yes.

Well, it's your own fault for making it far too complicated.

I dunno, its just that it all seems lame to me, outside of the bare concept of him having telekinesis.

The fact that...

- his entire backstory is wishy-washy as heck and depends on which game you play (a terrible, terrible game like 06, or a terrible, terrible game like Rivals; neither's quality help this situation), both stories on that note completely fudging up both Blaze and Eggman Nega's roles and canonical existence

- Super forms mean nothing to me (since I find them overhyped for the most part)

- he resembles nothing more than a direct ripoff of Trunks in basis (it was written as that in the 06 story documents, even also blegh to the Sonic / DBZ similarities and connections)

- his design looks a bit too complicated for its own good (would look better with the spikes laying down until mindpowers are used)

...leave me with nothing but pure indifference/dislike for the character. XD I could go without seeing him again.

• Thumbs Up 5

The D doesn't stop being a D just because you get a few Bs later.

Also I've never liked Silver in any game he's been in anyway.

But at the same time, you shouldn't condemn him just because of the one D. Instead, you should be glad that he improved afterward. Plus, when you consider how bad NextGen was for everyone, I don't think it's fair that Silver is the only character to have it tarnish his image.

And so what if you don't like him? I can't stand Rouge, but I hardly want Sonic Team to get rid of her!

Super/Hyper Knuckles, Super Tails and Hyper Sonic, along with the Super Emeralds.

If you ask me, I think the very concept of Super Forms should be abolished entirely. I honestly enjoyed the Generations version of Perfect Chaos more than the SA1 version, because it was more than just "collect rings and aim for the weak point".

I dunno, its just that it all seems lame to me, outside of the bare concept of him having telekinesis.

The fact that...

- his entire backstory is wishy-washy as heck and depends on which game you play (a terrible, terrible game like 06, or a terrible, terrible game like Rivals; neither's quality help this situation), both stories on that note completely fudging up both Blaze and Eggman Nega's roles and canonical existence

- Super forms mean nothing to me (since I find them overhyped for the most part)

- he resembles nothing more than a direct ripoff of Trunks in basis (it was written as that in the 06 story documents, even also blegh to the Sonic / DBZ similarities and connections)

- his design looks a bit too complicated for its own good (would look better with the spikes laying down until mindpowers are used)

...leave me with nothing but pure indifference/dislike for the character. XD I could go without seeing him again.

Yeah, well my point is this: you don't have to like something to see why other people do.

It's not rocket science, or in this case Shakespear; if you don't know why people like something you don't, especially when they tell you exactly why they like it, then it's more that you're just not even trying to understand. It's like having the answer right in your face and ignoring it.

Yeah, well my point is this: you don't have to like something to see why other people do.

It's not rocket science, or in this case Shakespear; if you don't know why people like something you don't, especially when they tell you exactly why they like it, then it's more that you're just not even trying to understand. It's like having the answer right in your face and ignoring it.

While I understand that you don't have to like something to understand why other people do, that doesn't mean he's obligated to agree with said likes.

Its not really that I don't understand that they like it for those reasons, its moreso that I don't understand why, I guess. Everyone's gotta have a reason to like something. I know that half the reasons to like Silver can be answered with "because its cool / it looks cool", but yeah, I definitely don't really get the appeal.

Basically what Azure said.

Edited by Master Azonkonion

Its not really that I don't understand that they like it for those reasons, its moreso that I don't understand why, I guess. Everyone's gotta have a reason to like something. I know that half the reasons to like Silver can be answered with "because its cool / it looks cool", but yeah, I definitely don't really get the appeal.

Basically what Azure said.

Yet you listed exactly some of the things they like him for on the last page, and in (a negative) detail to boot. Like I said, you don't have to like it, but it's not hard to understand why they do.

While I understand that you don't have to like something to understand why other people do, that doesn't mean he's obligated to agree with said likes.

I think disliking something other people do automatically implies he doesn't agree with said likes, and I don't see how in the hell what I said had anything to do saying he should agree with them. It's said dislike that seems to be keeping them from understanding why, however detailed their responses are for liking it.

Some'll say something as simple as "it's cool" and nothing else while others will be more thorough in their answers, but unless nobody has specifically told you why they like something or there responses are incoherent and/or hypocritical, there's practically no excuse to not understanding why.

• Thumbs Up 1

RushAdventure_Marine_pose.png

I hate everything about her, she is my LEAST favourite character in the entire series. Her personality bugs the hell out of me and, of all the characters that could be gotten rid of, she is the only one that I would generally not at all care about.

• Thumbs Up 1

230px-Rush_eggman_nega.png

I'm not exaggerating when I say this guy is the one and only Sonic character (or hell, maybe even video game character full stop) I well and truly HATE. His design's mere existance before Rivals came along makes little sense in the context of Rush. OK, so the game heavily imples (if not prints in black and white) Sonic and Blaze are counterparts (they are both fast, they have simlar shoes, they both are afflated with seven emeralds of power, they both turn super with their respective emeralds etc). Despite this, however, the two share very different designs...

92px-Rush_Sonic_pose.png128px-Rush_Blaze_pose1.png

...and possess enough character traits to make them distinct and seperate from each other (Sonic is cool and easygoing, Blaze is quiet, reserved and a loner (though that was lessened after Rush), Blaze has fire powers, Sonic doesn't etc). So Blaze isn't a copy of Sonic.

Nega, on the other hand...

125px-Sonicchannel_eggman_nocircle.png109px-Rush_eggman_nega.png

... looks like someone did a repaint on MS Paint, then uploaded it to DeviantART and claimed it as a new, different character. If they wanted him to be "opposite Eggman", then they should've made him very differently (e.g. a clean-shaven thin guy with messy hair, transparent glasses and a somewhat normal outfit) and not put the cliché "Nega" suffix on him. And unlike Blaze, Nega's character is pretty much summed up as "Eggman, but the better villain". So he doesn't work well on his own if he were to appear in a game without Eggman.

And let the sizes of those two images above symbolise his "personality": Nega is exactly like Eggman, only crueller. And this begs the question: What was the bloody point of making this a seperate character?! Surely making Eggman more evil while retaining his goofy charm wouldn't be a bad thing? After all, it's a hellova lot better than just repainting Eggman, making him more evil, taking away the charm and quirks that make him a likable character then try and sell him as different.

And the whole "I'm this guy, but eviler" reeks of "I'm the Man your Eggman could be, but isn't". Of the 4 main games he's been in, Nega's pretty much made Eggman his bitch at some point in 3 of them by means of making Eggman seem like the lesser bad guy between the two. I'm sure someone like Dr. Crusher could explain this point better than me, but hopefully you get the idea.

And I don't see much hope for improvement on Nega. To me he's just like Sonic '06: he's so inherently flawed to fix him would be to either polish a turd, or churn out something 100% different. Because when at the end of the day he's still just Eggman in a different, gharish colour scheme, you have to feel like my question on his personality and character.

What was the bloody point?

• Thumbs Up 5

The only one I would not want to come back is Sally

Well good news for you, she was never a part of the canon main series in the first place anyway regardless of how many Sally fanboys/girls like to delude themselves into thinking she is.

Whilst I like the Riders games with the exception of Free Riders, I can't say I was ever fond of the Babylon Rogues especially Jet. Oh God this character annoys the fuck out of me. From his very irritating voice to his mannerisms.

I don't see the point of Mighty returning either. He always came off to me as a pacifistic Sonic, a Sonic without the impulsiveness and temper which are some of Sonic's most intriguing traits. Booorrring. And his design isn't particularly original or cool either.

• Thumbs Up 3

Like everyone said, I too will go for Silver. He's got some okay concepts, but I just wouldn't give a shit if he mysteriously disappeared forever.

But mainly I have to go for Shadow. Who'd have guessed? Look, before I get rugby tackled, I wanna make it clear that I'm all for characters getting second chances to improve. But FUCK Shadow, I'm sorry. He's HAD several chances to be a good character and all have been wasted. I'm tired of people laughing at me for my like of Sonic and how a lot of it is down to this quite embarrassing character, but most of all I'm tired of him getting all these games in the spotlight to shine and not shining. Granted that hasn't happened since '06, but I don't want him getting ANOTHER chance at being a better character for them to just throw away while characters like Team Chaotix and Rouge (remember when she had a life outside Shadow? ...me neither.) don't get the screentime they deserve.

...I feel like this is a risky post to make :P Not to mention one of my few recent Sonic posts, and ohey, its a negative one.

Blaze and Metal Sonic. Blaze is a mary sue who out shines all the other females in powers in competence, Metal is a memetic lame ass boss who has to act like Shadow(copies his chaos control) to be a threat to Sonic plus his whole Ima jealous machine made to lose to the main character is really old. Both fanbases irritate me, it's like they want the best for the worst.

And LOL Silver haters, they mad because Silver is actually more powerful than Knuckles and Shadow and cuter than Amy and Tails thus making them obsolete.

Like everyone said, I too will go for Silver. He's got some okay concepts, but I just wouldn't give a shit if he mysteriously disappeared forever.

But mainly I have to go for Shadow. Who'd have guessed? Look, before I get rugby tackled, I wanna make it clear that I'm all for characters getting second chances to improve. But FUCK Shadow, I'm sorry. He's HAD several chances to be a good character and all have been wasted. I'm tired of people laughing at me for my like of Sonic and how a lot of it is down to this quite embarrassing character, but most of all I'm tired of him getting all these games in the spotlight to shine and not shining. Granted that hasn't happened since '06, but I don't want him getting ANOTHER chance at being a better character for them to just throw away while characters like Team Chaotix and Rouge (remember when she had a life outside Shadow? ...me neither.) don't get the screentime they deserve.

...I feel like this is a risky post to make tongue.png Not to mention one of my few recent Sonic posts, and ohey, its a negative one.

Only one of his appearances (granted it was game in his own name) was truly terrible though. He was well-received in his debut and while he wasn't great in Heroes or '06, who was? He actually fared relatively well when you consider the treatment of the other characters. I'm not saying that you shouldn't dislike the character though; that's your call.

Anyway, I myself don't have a lot of hate for any character, but I'm not a fan of Silver, Nega, the Rogues or most of the forgotten characters. So, a character's debut appearance is understandably important. A lot of the characters I like tend to have left a good first impression (like Knuckles, Shadow, Rouge and Blaze), but have become less interesting over time due to poor ideas plaguing certain games. Silver started at a massive low point, and where the series already felt bloated with extra characters. Even if they do manage to improve his character, I'll still never be quite on board with his design. I don't find his head at all aesthetically pleasing, nor do I like the ugly way in which the Shadow-fur stretches over his shoulders and covers his back. Another super form out of the blue didn't help either.

As for Nega and the Rogues; I simply did not enjoy them as characters. They seemed so forgettable to me, and as such, I can barely remember why. =p Meanwhile characters like Mighty, Ray, Bean and Bark have been gone so long (and offered so little in the one or two appearances they've actually had) that I just don't care anymore. Nack/Fang could provide us with another antagonist, but it's difficult to care about him at a time when I actually fear for the living cast of characters.

To reiterate though; I don't actively hate any character. I'm just apathetic to those above.

Edited by Pawn

Hey don't blame Blaze for '06, she's as much a victim as any of us.

Absolutely. As a matter of fact, you remind me:

I love Silver as a character, but for the love of all things good he needs to stop being paired up with Blaze. I get that they could be friends outside  of 06, but the only reason they're paired together is to specifically remind people of 06. In the DS version of Sonic Colors, the two mention how familiar they are with combining powers. Tails alludes to 06 by saying that they could have been together in a different time.

None of this should make sense from a narrative standpoint, because Blaze would have to be from the future, even though her origins and Iizuka say she's from the Sol Dimension  god damn this confusing Blaze backstory mumbo jumbo, meaning the two have never actually met before!

Keeping my shipping bias out of it, I want Silver to fly solo for a little while. He could maybe have his own adventure for him to move his legs around, and he could develop more as a character. Then reintroduce him to Blaze if that's what people want. Seriously though. As much as I LOVE these two, it just feels odd for them to be frequently paired together. Really odd, and a reminder of 06.