Awoo.

Where do you think Sonic will go from here?

TwiceStyle

After the release of Lost World, which seems to have become rather controversial among fans due to severe changes in gameplay and art style, where do you expect the series to go next?

Hopefully further in the direction SLoW is taking, cementing the player's control over Sonic and interaction with the level as more important than a high top speed.

• Thumbs Up 7

I want the Lost World direction to be explored further, with levels being more grounded. I love me some floating tubes, but it'd be interesting to see if they could apply Sonic's new-found freedom and moves to a larger and more conventional world.

• Thumbs Up 3

After the release of Lost World, which seems to have become rather controversial among fans due to severe changes in gameplay and art style, where do you expect the series to go next?

The art style isn't that controversial. The people who don't like it seem to be in a pretty vocal minority. Hell, even the gameplay hasn't gotten any more criticism than your average Sonic game. It's not nearly as divisive as you make it sound.

But I expect the series to continue and develop the groundwork Lost World lays out. That's how it usually goes. That's how it worked for the Genesis games, the Adventure games, and the post-Unleashed games.

A Sonic Adventure style game with Lost World gameplay/Parkour system seems to be the right way forward. More platforming based, and speed which must be earned and not forced on the player. 

Edited by -Bender- Wolverine

The artstyle is nowhere near as 'controversial' as you're trying to put it.Yeah there's some people who don't like it but they're not throwing such a huge fuss about it like it's the worst thing they ever saw in a Sonic game. Every Sonic title has fans complaining about what they don't like so I guess that means every Sonic game out there is controversial. For me, I didn't like it at first but it's growing on me. Now the more videos and screenshots I see of Lost World the better it looks to me.

BTW, Sonic Lost World isn't even out yet.

Edited by sonfan1984

I want the Lost World direction to be explored further, with levels being more grounded. I love me some floating tubes, but it'd be interesting to see if they could apply Sonic's new-found freedom and moves to a larger and more conventional world.

This would be ideal for me.  The Mario Galaxy-style environments look fun for this game, but I'd love to see them experiment with the mechanics in an Unleashed- and Generations-like environment.  If it doesn't work, I'm more than open to them just going back to the Lost World style and forgetting the mishap ever happened.

Edited by Akito

A more extensive look into Sonic's parkour abilities for one thing, As good as a step SLW is in this regard he is still heavily underpowered and slow in pulling off his moves like Vaults and wall climbs, I'd really like it if they made level scale something they focus on not only in length, but in height too because I expect Sonic to be able to scale such structures with ease without slow down of momentum so suddenly.

But yes parkour is definitely the way to go for me, I've been crying out for it for a long, long time and now that It's being looked into I couldn't be more happier if they added it to Sonic's arsenal of collective moves.

• Thumbs Up 2

Hopefully they stick with this style beyond two games and think of something more long term with it; more Parkour moves, less tubular Level design, etc.

• Thumbs Up 2

With the capabilities of upcoming consoles, I hope they can return to the Unleashed/Generations art style while still exploring Sonic's new abilities.

• Thumbs Up 9

With the capabilities of upcoming consoles, I hope they can return to the Unleashed/Generations art style while still exploring Sonic's new abilities.

Well Izuka said that Unleashed/Generations' art was too detailed to the point of being distracting, and the simplified look of Lost World matches the playability, making it the style Sonic "should be." The other consoles offering more power is probably not important considering Lost World's look wasn't decided purely because of the hardware limitations. 

Edited by Solly

But then we wouldn't have our beautiful 60f

Yeah. This new art style has a lot of charm and looks pretty good, but I think  a hybrid of the new and the Unleashed / Colors / Generations artstyle based  game better suits the world plus the new abilities. Something that isn't too cutesie, but still has a good amount of detail.

In addition to that, more 60 fps please. That must be the new standard.

...if we can't have the Unleashed based artstyle in order to have it, then I'll accept that. It'll be a tough pill to swallow as it's my preferred artstyle, but I'll manage. It's most likely what will happen if this sells well enough anyhow.

• Thumbs Up 1

This+

- Actually GOOD story which takes itself seriously when needed

- Playable Shadow/Silver/Metal Sonic/Knuckles/Blaze/whoever else. Fuck Sonic-only bullshit! I'm sick of it to death!

- More original music. Bring back rock, electronic, techno. I'm getting really tired of "another star wars intro clone theme" since Unleashed

- More beautiful CGI cutscenes. Fore me it's important. Not game breaking but important.

- Character themes should return as well

- Better characterization is a must

- The physics. Looks like SonicTeam have no idea what those things are.

- For the love of God, increase Sonic's speed! I'm not asking for his boosting Unleashed speed but come on!

P.S. Screw the wisps! They were nice in Colors, unneeded in Generations. SLoW is basically a Colors 2 meets Mario but after SLoW just no. Screw them. I'd rather play as Tails than his helicoper/ufo/etc toy.

But then we wouldn't have our beautiful 60f

Man. Ps4. It's more than enough to keep any Unleashed-styled game at stable 60 fps. DO keep in mind that SLoW is slow. It's immensely easier to keep stable 60 fps when the game is that slow unlike insanely fast and detaled and beautiful Unleashed.

Edited by ArtFenix
  • Thumbs Up 4

- More original music. Bring back rock, electronic, techno. I'm getting really tired of "another star wars intro clone theme" since Unleashed

- More beautiful CGI cutscenes. Fore me it's important. Not game breaking but important.

- What you mean by 'more original music'? Unleashed and Colors' (this especially) scores had pretty great and varied pieces of music that were very much 'original' (using your term) to make the games what it is just as previous game soundtracks have. They also had the types of music that you just described between them (Terminal Velocity, Asteroid Coaster, Starlight Carnival, Eggmanland, Empire City all say hi). I may not be as proficient in stating my opinion, but that was just too baffling for me to not comment on. 

-Based on what I've read around here, it sounds like one of your game-breakers.

Edited by TheChaosBlue
  • Thumbs Up 3

I'll say where I think the Sonic series is going, rather than what I want.

(These are totally random points)

Sonic as the only playable character, with Tails possibly becoming playable in multiplayer. I think there is quite a lot of evidence to suggest Tails will eventually become a co-op character. Such evidence is Tails' increasing importance in the games stories (Colours, Generations and presumably Lost World). Especially when compared to the other characters.  I think characters. I think minor characters like Espio, Silver and the like will eventually be left to the side.

I imagine the game will continue to take inspiration from Mario and remain relatively slow-paced. I also think the games will continue to make nods to the classic Sonic titles (badniks and eventually more obscure level themes like Oil Ocean and Flying Battery). 

I think the story will become more tough, but still remain in Colours 'cartoon' territory. 

Heed these words:

The next Sonic game will be focused on flow and keeping the speed consistent. The games have been taking a move towards keeping Sonic moving (Generations with the tap jump and Unleashed with parkour). It's the obvious progression.

Edited by Phoenix Flame

- Playable Shadow/Silver/Metal Sonic/Knuckles/Blaze/whoever else. Fuck Sonic-only bullshit! I'm sick of it to death!

Oh god no! I think that only Sonic, Tails, Knuckles and Amy should be playable. Everyone else is classed as a part of "Sonic's Shitty Friends" and add nothing to the franchise. I think it's safe to say well get playable Tails in the next game due to extortionate demand.

Man. Ps4. It's more than enough to keep any Unleashed-styled game at stable 60 fps. DO keep in mind that SLoW is slow. It's immensely easier to keep stable 60 fps when the game is that slow unlike insanely fast and detaled and beautiful Unleashed.

Which is exactly why they should keep this style of play, instead of just focusing mainly on speed.

Oh god no! I think that only Sonic, Tails, Knuckles and Amy should be playable. Everyone else is classed as a part of "Sonic's Shitty Friends" and add nothing to the franchise. I think it's safe to say well get playable Tails in the next game due to extortionate demand.

That mindset will lead to nowhere and by the way, Shadow added a lot more to the franchise than Amy ever did or even Knuckles.

Which is exactly why they should keep this style of play, instead of just focusing mainly on speed.

I can't agree with that, sorry.

Edited by ArtFenix

Controversial...?

I expect Sonic team to focus on refining the current gameplay style for like another four to three games then steadily introducing new power ups through the series. All the while Sonic still being the only playable character.

I love what they're doing with Sonic Lost World, the fact that they're giving us control over Sonic's abilities instead of just showing them off in barely interactive set pieces makes me giddy.  There's a lot more room to improve, refine, and innovate now and I hope they continue to do so.

I also think it'd be much easier to include multiple playable characters with a game more like Lost World than it is in a game like Unleashed, but that's just me.  

• Thumbs Up 4