Awoo.

Where do you think Sonic will go from here?

TwiceStyle

I love what they're doing with Sonic Lost World, the fact that they're giving us control over Sonic's abilities instead of just showing them off in barely interactive set pieces makes me giddy.  There's a lot more room to improve, refine, and innovate now and I hope they continue to do so.

I also think it'd be much easier to include multiple playable characters with a game more like Lost World than it is in a game like Unleashed, but that's just me.  

True. Now that I think of it, including more characters in an Unleashed based style of gameplay could give a result of a next gen Sonic R of sorts. I mean, just give the Boost as a character specific move or make it a power up and there ya go.

On topic, you're right. The more interactivity there is, the more opportunity for a much more enjoyable gameplay experience. I may not be the biggest fan of how it looks, but that's beside the point and really doesn't matter too much in the grand scheme of things.

Refine Sonic's movement further. A more speed-dependant turning circle and getting rid of the tiered speeds. Right now, the run button looks like "2nd Gear". If you need a run button it should merely increase Sonic's acceleration at the expense of lateral movement (i.e, you accelerate faster in a straight line, but your turning is compromised while accelerating, I may explain more at a later stage).

Further refinement of parkour, so that there isn't a slow, deliberate animation when you run onto a wall. Make it require a well-timed jump or something (maybe a dedicated parkour button), rather than make it automatic when you run at a wall.

Most importantly, don't pursue this style of level design. Its cool and all, but the gravity, kind of fucks with the way physics should work in a Sonic game. That and Sonic games, in my opinions, should have stages that are organically tied to a landscape, rather than being platforms and tubes and planetoids floating above the landscape they are based on.

Visuals? More textured textures. Right now, the colours look pretty flat. I feel like they should be a bit more granular. I would also prefer models of in-level props, to not be so......smooth?.... For instance, I would like to see actual leaves on trees (even if those leaves are cartoony in design), rather than just a smooth trunk with green spheres. That right there, is what invokes a sense or Mario.

• Thumbs Up 2

I expect Sonic team to focus on refining the current gameplay style for like another four to three games then steadily introducing new power ups through the series. All the while Sonic still being the only playable character.

This is something that is actually bugging me. Sonic Team keeps using this as an excuse to exclude the additional playable characters. I'm just having trouble seeing how Sonic's gameplay wasn't refined in Generations, or why Sonic's gameplay won't be good enough in this game. Would it have been too hard to add Tails with the same controls but allow him to fly? Or Knuckles with gliding and digging? Or are they trying to use the Wisps to replace them temporarily or something?

Aside from other characters and whatnot, I think that they should keep the whole running and spindashing gameplay they've got in this game, and try to apply it to other level designs (preferably not the tubular designs since it would just be repetitive). That being said, I think that they should remove the running button and make it so that you have to just run for your speed like the adventure games. I think they should go back to designs akin to Sonic Adventure 1, where everything is open and you can do whatever you want throughout the level, with hidden goodies scattered all over the place. That would be pretty neat.

As for technical stuff, I think the decision to go 60 fps and keep everything simple works with Sonic VERY well. I don't like that in Unleashed (and somewhat Generations) that there was all this land and stuff in the background, but you couldn't touch it. I think that the simpler designs and keeping the land look all wacky and cartoony really go well with Sonic, as opposed to dull highways, deserts, and cities.

Edited by TheVGamer
  • Thumbs Up 1

We'll probably get a game that expands and improves on what Lost World does, like Colours to Generations. I would hope that the tiered speed system and parkour stays, but in non-tubular, normal Sonic level design, to allow for some momentum physics and because it wouldn't make sense since it's only Lost World that takes place on Lost Hex. I'll deal with the current artstyle it it allows for 60 FPS and more content, but if the PS4/X1 can handle the old artstyle at 60 FPS then I say use that artstyle on those consoles and the LW one on Wii-U. Of course less focus should be on the backgrounds and more on playable space. Refine Sonic`s controls so his tier 1 speed is more along the lines of SA1 or 2`s running speed (with actual acceleration as well), and make it so there`s more of an acceleration time when you hit the run button, and when he`s at max speed there`s more of a turning arc at high speeds. That`s pretty much my wishlist. 

• Thumbs Up 1

That mindset will lead to nowhere and by the way, Shadow added a lot more to the franchise than Amy ever did or even Knuckles.

The only thing Shadow added to the franchise was it's near death. Amy is very important since she's the closest thing Sonic has to a girlfriend, and Knuckles can climb walls, glide, and is stronger than both Sonic and Tails, not to mention he's one of Sonic's best friends (and a worthy rival too). Shadow is essentially a Sonic clone without Chaos control ( a move that even Sonic and Silver know). So if Shadow was taken out of the franchise all we would be missing is a re-skin. So my mindset is that they get rid of the characters that are essentially clones of others. Also in SA2, Shadow seemed very whiny to me, and the whole "Sonic vs Shadow" thing just screamed "school-yard fight", didn't seem as epic as people made it sound before I played SA2 myself.

Shadow = re-skin of Sonic, caused the near death of the franchise. 

Rouge = exact same abilities as Knuckles.

Cream = exact same abilities as Tails.

Silver = he's okay, but not very noteworthy.

Blaze = same case as Silver.

Edited by Wil348

Pretty sure you can't blame one single character for the 'near-death' of an entire franchise.

Not that logic means anything to this fanbase sometimes.

Pretty sure you can't blame one single character for the 'near-death' of an entire franchise.

It was a multiple of factors. Shadows just stands out immensely for the obvious reasons. IE Guns, Doctor Claw alien emperor, effed up backstory resulting in an alien papa momma, ect.

Edited by Balding Spider
  • Thumbs Up 1

Less reliance on Wisps. In Sonic Colours, it made sense and turned out to be a very well done gimmick for the series and I have no idea how or why they appear in Sonic Lost Worlds but SEGA can't rely on them forever.

Saying that...no relying on nostalgia. C'mon SEGA, you can still make some new levels!

Well now that they've ditched the boost gameplay, I can definitely see guys like Tails and Knuckles being playable in this new gameplay style. Hopefully Sega will ditch Sola Sonica in the near future.

I hope they focus a lot more on the tube gameplay style, but continue to innovate it, and maybe include its gameplay in a non-tube environment. This game looks like the closest we've ever gotten to a true Classic Sonic in 3D I've been waiting for since S3&K, and I think that they could continue to add more elements that were featured in Sonic's source material such as other playable characters who play like Sonic, but with unique abilities.

Also, yes graphical updates. And I think despite the fact that the tube levels seem to have 10+ ways of going through them (which is something from the classic games that Lost World is giving to us that I love most: TRUE alternate pathways that aren't simply two hallways with a fork in the road), I think if they take the tube's gameplay but adapt it to a non-tube environment, they could have even more pathways in the levels.

So basically, keep the tubular gameplay, but go further with it.

True. Now that I think of it, including more characters in an Unleashed based style of gameplay could give a result of a next gen Sonic R of sorts. I mean, just give the Boost as a character specific move or make it a power up and there ya go.

On topic, you're right. The more interactivity there is, the more opportunity for a much more enjoyable gameplay experience. I may not be the biggest fan of how it looks, but that's beside the point and really doesn't matter too much in the grand scheme of things.

I hate the boost, but I wouldn't mind seeing a more limited version of it return, like maybe give it only to Blaze.

In fact, here is my dream Sonic game cast:

1. Sonic, doesn't have any Sonic-only abilities, except he has his Wisps. Has access to Super Sonic when the emeralds are acquired.

2. Tails, has the spin dash like Sonic but can also fly. Has access to Super Tails when the emeralds are acquired.

3. Knuckles, has the spin dash like Sonic, but can also glide, dig, and climb walls. Has access to Super Knuckles when the emeralds are acquired.

4. Amy, has the spin dash like Sonic, but uses the Piko Hammer to attack enemies.

5. Blaze, as fast as Sonic, and has the spin dash [or did she have something else in Rush?] like Sonic. She also has a more limited boost than Sonic in Unleashed-Generation.

6. Maybe include Cream the Rabbit as the game's easy mode. Has the spin dash like sonic, and can attack like Sonic, but also has the ability to order Cheese the Chao to attack an enemy from a short distance.

And also, there could be a set of "darker" characters. Not sure if it'll be best as an expansion/DLC, unlockable, or selectable right from the start, as they'd play the same as the others for the most part (as in, almost be a reskin of one of the previous 6 mentioned).

7. Shadow, plays the same as Sonic, but maybe be similar to a "Hard Mode" of Sonic's playthrough.

8. Wave the Swallow, plays like Tails, but without the ability to go super.

9. Rouge, plays almost exactly like Knuckles, but would fly slightly different and not have a super form. Instead of simple gliding, she could have a flying similar to Batman in the Arkham games. She'd fly with more of a decline, but have the ability to do a nosedive, then pick up some additional altitude by pointing up. And also have the ability to latch on to a ceiling (maybe fly a little bit, then do the altitude gaining move to latch on to the ceiling, jump off and repeat said move) to go through what would have normally been a bottomless pit with a roof too close to the bottom to fly/glide through as any other character.

10. Espio, I know he isn't an anti-hero or villain, but he'd play like Sonic (minus the super form), but be able to turn invisible for a limited time to go through otherwise impassable obstacles and sneak by an enemy to attack from behind [like he could sneak behind a group of {maybe three} enemies, then be able to do the kick attack from Lost World and knock out all three before the enemies know what hit them]

11. Silver, plays like Blaze, but also have a super form, and the ability to pick up an enemy and throw it at another, but unlike Sonic 06, he can attack enemies like Sonic too and if he does the psychokinesis attack [pick an enemy up and throw it at another] the enemy explodes, allowing for a small group of enemies in the area to be taken down at once.

Edited by Mr.Snarf
  • Thumbs Up 1

The only thing i wish they would get rid of are tubes and shapes floating in air, that i don't like at all, i want SonicTeam go back to traditional environments, locations, which attach to earth, with everything else i'm  fine.

- Gameplay: An improved version of what we're getting. Hopefully with a tiny bit less twitchiness, some acceleration and a slightly higher top speed added to "walking mode" for the sake of not feeling so foreign to veteran Sonic players, and perhaps a bit more attention paid to the rolling mechanics that go alongside Spin Dashing. Besides that, everything the game is doing with Sonic's controls looks peaches and cream to me.

As for the level design, I am hoping for a return to more grounded stuff that we're used to. I want to see slopes and loops become an active part of 3D Sonic level design with this new gameplay, because that just sounds great... I also hope they lay off the dashpads a bit more, but I'm not sure if that's ever going away. Oh well..

Oh yeah, and other characters being playable is another thing I want. Considering that we now have two homing moves, you could just keep the normal rapid-fire one specific to Sonic while the other characters keep the "kick" move, but its changed to whatever suits them (ORAORAORA swirl-punching, tail whacking, hammer swinging, you know). Then they just can have their own jumping ability of their own, and bam. It all works.

- Art: Something close to this current art style for the environments introduced in SLW. Yes, I've grown to be way past okay with it. It screams SCD/Saturn-era "90s Segasonic", and I love it. Everything blends together and works so well in this style, and the colors are ridiculously vibrant and varied in the best kind of way. Its' gorgeous, and all I ask is that things become more organic when they need to be, and as much like this when they need to as well. Kinda balance it out. Sonic 3 & Knuckles kind of did that and it worked wonders.

I also hope the badniks, item designs, character animations and whatnot stay the same as this game too. Its incredibly nice looking and it works. Lots of personality and life blooming from it, crisp and clean, lots to work off of. Some of the best the series has had, no doubt.

- Music: Hopefully with less orchestral themes and something a bit more catchy to latch onto next time as a main theme (I long for another game that gives me as heavy of a hitter as "You Can Do Anything", "Open Your Heart" or even the Sonic & Knuckles title screen music). 

Besides that, Ohtani and the crew have Sonic's music down-pat, as always. Filled with atmosphere, charm, personality, and wonderfully written parts; Sonic music almost never fails.

- Story: This is something I can't really say on because I don't know how good its gonna be, but going by what we have I have high hopes for this game and upcoming games to be much better rounded in character interaction, storytelling, and narrative.

Maybe then we'll get a bigger story, while we're at it. I've been craving one of those for a while, as a lot of us have.

Edited by Master Azonkonion

If they're going to continue with Lost World's art style, I hope they at least give us levels that aren't all on a giant tube

• Thumbs Up 1

The only thing Shadow added to the franchise was it's near death. 

That's funny, because the game that came after his own that had Sonic's name in the title looked like it tried to finish the job and almost killed the franchise worse than Shadow did. 

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonîc

In the next game, I also hope we can have an action-packed opening cutscene of cinematic quality akin to this:

As lovely as that still looks I don't want to have to wait another 6+ minutes to jump into the game. Or rather 6+ minutes to get to the in-game cutscenes then to the game.

• Thumbs Up 2

As lovely as that still looks I don't want to have to wait another 6+ minutes to jump into the game. Or rather 6+ minutes to get to the in-game cutscenes then to the game.

It still really makes the game.

It still really makes the game.

Only if the game is good enough to back it up.

You can't just open with a 6min epicness if your game is gonna lack and expect people to go 'yeah but the cutscene really saved it.'

Do we really need to have this argument again?

Like what you want. Thinking the artstyle is a step down isn't a big thing.

• Thumbs Up 4

Sonic Lost World is a fine game.

Isn't it a fine game? It's a really fine game!

...Is that why your eye is twitching?

Edited by Azure Yakuzu
  • Thumbs Up 5

Haha, I won't deny SLW has it's flaws...Every game does but I can't really comment on them until I witness it for myself, but as it stands It's already turning out to be my ideal game I've wanted so far so I can't really comment on anything without feeling a little biased.

My main concern is this being JUST a Colours 2, because I pretty much hate everything about Colours, it was just boring, blocky and a frustrating experience for me, and I hope that's not the case here, because I got equally as hyped for Colours before it came out, I don't want to be left with the same outcome as I did with that game *sob*.