Awoo.

Quirks when playing Sonic games - "What d'you mean I'm playing this weirdly? I always do this!"

Spin Attaxx

Do any of you have any quirks (basically, things you often/always do) when playing Sonic games?

When I play Sonic 1, I always play it in a specific pattern: I always get the emeralds on the first time I access each Special Stage, I always use the shortcuts in Marble Zone Act 3, Labyrinth Zone Act 1 and Scrap Brain Zone Act 3, I always skip the blocks in Spring Yard Zone until Act 3 etc. If I fail any of these, I go "NOPE" and reset.

I also mentally name each Special Stage to make it easier for me to complete:

1. The Straight and Narrow

2. The Twisted Bloaty Snake

3: Big Giant Space Of Fail (since I always tend to fail on that one)

4: Follow The Arrows

5: More Is Better

6: You're There - Don't Blow It

• Thumbs Up 1

If I find an "alternate" path with a nearly-impossible gap/jump, I will usually always forsake the actual path and attempt to clear the jump repeatedly until I make it.

• Thumbs Up 3

The only thing I can think of at the moment is that whenever I'm getting the Super Emeralds in S3&K, I always choose their Special Stages in the same order as the Chaos Emeralds in regards to their colour. So for example, the first one I do will be the green one in the middle, the fourth one I do will be the damn blue one in the middle-left, and so on.

Edited by Dr. Crusher
  • Thumbs Up 1

Only two very small ones spring to mind, both level completion related.

On Sonic 2 8-bit, I always run to the left of the screen, and jump up JUST before the goal post hits the ground, to extend the amount of time it takes before leaving the act (and thus hearing the music for a smidge longer).

On Sonic Adventure, I will particularly jump on Goal Capsules at an angle to get the nicest background behind Sonic aesthetically speaking.

Oh, one more, when I replay the missions on Sonic Generations, I always replay them in numbered order, even though, one, this requires an unnecessary amount of extra navigation around the hub since they aren't all in order, and two, on a personal level I would rather play them in whatever order I like, as Planet Wisp's gorgeously "this would make a perfect final mission due to neutralness and atmosphere" Action Master mission... is Mission 4, not 5.  Therefore placing the final mission in my playthrough as being a lame Orange Wisp focused stage.

Oh, one one more - if I don't break every number and the rank before Sonic poses on the score screen in Sonic Colours, I have failed as a human in every capacity.

• Thumbs Up 2

When I'm trying to get the Chaos Emeralds in Sonic 2, I always try to get as many of them as possible in Emerald Hill. The rings are easy to get and the goal posts are easy to find, so if I can get out of there with four or five of them I don't feel like I have to go out of my way exploring future levels for any out of the way posts.

Oh I remembered another - it is mandatory in Sonic Adventure 2, that whenever you do a straight jump upwards before a homing attack, you must wiggle the control stick in all directions for maximum coolness in your little flip animation.  Very important when dodging the energy balls of, and before striking, the Biolizard in particular.

In S3K, I tend to save my game at Marble Garden

...then when I come back, I erase that save and do the same thing over again.

I dunno, it just doesn't feel natural starting a Classic game in the middle.

I get as many emeralds early on as possible, apart from Sonic 2 as I like not being forced to turn into Super Sonic. Instead I do a Dimps style 1 emerald for the first seven stages shtick. In Sonic CD I get the emeralds ASAP, but make Good Futures in every level until then. I also stay in the Past during the Act 1s, while going to the Good Future (even if I'm going in the Past to make said futures) in Act 2s. Either that, or I never time travel at all, and consider it failed if I time travel accidentally even once. In 3&K, I get all the Super Emeralds backwards, for some reason.

If I take a hit in Crisis City Act 2, I immediately restart. I'm pretty bad for perfectionism in Generations's Modern levels. Similarly I gene

I always take the helicopter in Speed Highway Act 2, and the eagle at the very beginning of Sonic's Kingdom Valley.

I'm also a massive klepto in the classics and somewhat in 06 as well, going out of my way for ring boxes, but this actually doesn't extend to the Modern games except a few items in Unleashed to help me S rank. I have also failed as a human being if I don't get the top ranking in any Sonic game, unless I'm deliberately pissing about to see what I find.

Contrary to what I do with the Super Emeralds, if I play Colours and decide to do an act of each zone, I do them in the intended order.

I'm weird!

In Sonic CD I always feel bad if I don't get a good future in the Boss act of each zone. So I always destroy the robot generator in every act.

If I am doing a playthrough trying to get as many rings as possible in each act (which I like doing because it's very challenging trying not to take damage), I will spend about 9 minutes in EACH act (visiting all four time periods). So my playthroughs of CD sometimes come close to 3 hours.

In Sonic 3&K I always try to get a perfect - all rings collected - in all 14 special stages. It feels like I failed if I don't get all the rings.

I always try to get all seven chaos emeralds by the end of Hydrocity zone. This is because there are about six or seven giant rings in Marble Garden Act 1 (which each give you 50 rings as you already have all the chaos emeralds). With this and the 'magnetic' bonus stages, I always try to get 999 rings in both acts of MG.

When playing Sonic 3&K I always try and get 99 llives as quickly as possible. I explore everywhere, collecting rings, extra lives and entering the magnetic bonus stage - via a starpost - as many times as I can in each act, which can yield bucketloads of lives. If I approach a starpost but I know I won't get the bonus stage I want, I will activate Super/Hyper Sonic, wait, let my rings total reduce until I know I will get the magnetic bonus stage. I then enter the bonus stage. 

As I try and get as many rings as possible in each act, my playthroughs of Sonic 3&K are normally over four and a half hours.

I guess I am a ring collecting whore. tongue.png  

Edited by -Bender- Wolverine

In sonic heroes (you know before I knew it sucked) I always used power characters on pawns w/shield, because I hated the brrriiiing noise when you lose rings. I also would spam thunder shoot on the big black mechs with hammers and a helmet (even though it did nothing) until I got team blast.  I never knew that leveling sonic up enabled him to remove shields with a homing attack.

Oh, one one more - if I don't break every number and the rank before Sonic poses on the score screen in Sonic Colours, I have failed as a human in every capacity.

I'm even worse with this; I've replayed the ending sequence so many times just to try my absolute best at a perfect run on it. I know it's designed to be impossible, but it's so satisfying to do so well at it!

Sonic 2 on the Master System; always have to time the rolling jump at the end of Act 2 in each zone to roll -over- the Eggman saucer that contains the animals. I need to get this done at least once in each playthrough, otherwise I consider that run an absolute flop. Sometimes boot the game up and if I fail it in Underground, then I just decide that's enough of Sonic 2 for now. Don't really count this for the Game Gear version since it's so much easier to do it on the smaller screen.

Sonic 1 8-Bit; if you lose the shield from Green Hill Act 2 at any point in the game, your entire playthrough is invalid. Gotten a good score? Gotten all the Chaos Emeralds? Gone to the Special Stage in every single act? Don't care, you lost the shield. Restart, go get that shield, and keep it all the way right through to the ending sequence.

Generally restarting all the time in Generations levels, due to so actively trying to speedrun them, as well. Even just failing the Blast Off boost is enough to restart for me.

Ooh boy I'm weird.

When going through a loop, I tilt control stick in a circle to "follow" the path. 2D and 3D.

In Labyrinth Zone Act 1, I always try to time and bounce of the three Jawz near the start of the stage.

When heading downhill(Chemical Plant in particular) I always let Sonic run a bit b/c I like the animation before hitting a roll.

Whenever I pick up Sonic Adventure, I go through every part of every level if possible to appreciate the wide open spaces compared to latter games.

In Final Egg, I always Light Speed Attack those weird pink crawling robots towards the third part of the stage.

In Sonic Colors I walljump on every possible wall. Thats led to some cool moments.

Bonus Round: In Sonic The Fighters, as Sonic, I always switch stance to left foot lead because I always thought Sonic was left handed like me growing up(still kinda do shhhhh....)

Quirks? I can only really think of one right now, and that's singing along to vocal stage themes at the top of my voice while I play...I always seem to play a little better while doing that..

When playing Sonic Adventure 2, I always try to get as many point bonuses as possible. I just like the words that pop up: Good! Nice! Great! Jammin’! Cool! Radical! Tight! Awesome! Extreme! Perfect!

I like to pick up as many item boxes as I can in 06 for some reason. Anything for more points, I guess.

In Unleashed, Colors and Generations, I try to finish levels without losing any rings. Feels awesome when you pull it off.

I will always try to get an S rank in a level, even if I’ve already done it before. That is, unless I’m just goofing around.

And lastly, I always make sure I have 99 lives before I turn the game off.

I always make Sonic crouch over and over again in time with the music.

But I do that in pretty much every game ever.

Edited by Gregzilla
  • Thumbs Up 9

Whenever I play S3&K, I always activate the sound test and debug mode immediately. I like breaking the game, having Sonic and Knuckles going on the others' path through the level.

• Thumbs Up 1

I remember in SA2, I would use the bounce ball ability to bounce through the whole level!

It took time... but it was strangely satisfying. happy.png

• Thumbs Up 1

When playing SA, SA2, and Heroes, I time my homing attacks to the beat of whatever music I'm listening to. It just feels so wrong having it go all off-rhythm like that.

• Thumbs Up 2

My quirks... are a bit... shameful.  Because they severely hider my ability to play... and because they're moronic.

In the special stages on Sonic Advance 2, no matter how much I know in my heart that the red five-ring containers are a GOOD thing and will only help me if I get them, there's this weird reflex that just happens without me thinking it where I will literally skirt to away from it whenever I get close.  I don't know why and I wish there was something I could do about it, but it never stops.  Even as I'm telling myself actively not to do that, it happens anyway.

This could pretty much be said for all games, but in Sonic games especially, if I contemplate going one way, then see that it wouldn't effect me one way or the other if I had went the other way, I'll habitually turn around and go the other way.  WHY DO I DO THAT?!

When playing SA, SA2, and Heroes, I time my homing attacks to the beat of whatever music I'm listening to. It just feels so wrong having it go all off-rhythm like that.

I tend to do the same thing with a lot of games, only with menu screens instead of attacks. =P

Edited by Akito
  • Thumbs Up 3

I always look up(in game) whenever Dr.Eggman comes on screen in the classics games. You know for cinematic reasons XD

Oh man how could I forget this!  Not just in Sonic but in general games I like to try and act "in-character" like this.

Sonic 2 on the Master System; always have to time the rolling jump at the end of Act 2 in each zone to roll -over- the Eggman saucer that contains the animals. I need to get this done at least once in each playthrough, otherwise I consider that run an absolute flop. Sometimes boot the game up and if I fail it in Underground, then I just decide that's enough of Sonic 2 for now. Don't really count this for the Game Gear version since it's so much easier to do it on the smaller screen.

Oh man yes, I also get bothered if I don't roll over the top at least once per playthrough.

I don't think it's even possible on the Game Gear one though?  In that you just bounce off the saucer like a bumper, you can't roll over it like on Master System.

• Thumbs Up 2

I don't think it's even possible on the Game Gear one though?  In that you just bounce off the saucer like a bumper, you can't roll over it like on Master System.

I... thought you could, at least? Only played the Game Gear one more recently with the 3DS Virtual Console, but I don't have that on me right now... nor even a ROM, which I already deleted once I bought the game.

Hrngh, now I have an itch to play the game again. D:

Oh yeah, two quirks specifically for Sonic 1's Marble that I really love about Sonic 1; busting each and every one of those destroyable blocks in Act 2(?) in one go to net those 2 x 10,000 points, and leaping off the moving block ride in the lava just to jump across with momentum.

• Thumbs Up 1

I always make Sonic crouch over and over again in time with the music.

But I do that in pretty much every game ever.

I do this once in a while too.

• Thumbs Up 1

I always end up trying to roll in both episodes of Sonic 4, no matter what. I will try to roll on nearly every single slope like it's one of the classics and... we all know where it goes from there... *sobs*

• Thumbs Up 7

I remember in SA2, I would use the bounce ball ability to bounce through the whole level!

It took time... but it was strangely satisfying. happy.png

Ha Ha at least I know I wasn't the only one to do that, especially in boss fights. NOW THAT is satisfying! Sadly Lost Worlds Bounce attack is gimped to only 3 bounces at a time. Hopefully there will be a powerup to give us an infinite one.