Awoo.

Quirks when playing Sonic games - "What d'you mean I'm playing this weirdly? I always do this!"

Spin Attaxx

always roll down slopes. I can't be satisfied by just running down them.

• Thumbs Up 7

If I leave an act in a Classic game with less than 100 rings it's as if I failed by my standards.

• Thumbs Up 3

For me, when playing the classics (or the Advance games), and there's a hill (even a small one), you roll down it. It doesn't even feel right not rolling down it. Same thing applies when playing the Adventure games. :v

Also when I first start playing a Sonic game, if it has a Spin Dash, I'm probably gonna use it before I do anything else in the stage.

You know how in the classic Sonic games where if you jump in a loop at a specific timing and then roll, you get a lot of speed? (the way normally used to kill Sonic in that S-Loop in GHZ Act 1) Yeah, I've forgotten the timing recently, and I absolutely forbid myself from moving on (especially in Sonic 1) without having done it properly.

• Thumbs Up 2

I'm one of those "must spin downhill" types, too.  But that's because I want to speed through the level without worrying about an enemy hitting me... and yet they still manage to find a way.

Edited by Akito

I'm the kind of gamer that tries to enjoy a game instead of trying to get all of the items or power ups. My sister is the complete opposite, she will take 15 minutes for each level just to get every ring possible. Many a time have I caused my sister to shudder as I play a sonic level with only three rings. Or defeat a boss with only one ringbiggrin.png  (I seem to play the best when the stakes are raised high). To me Sonic is all about the freedom of running at the speed of sound while smashing robots. Especially with the hedgehog engine for the modern games, you run so fast its like a rush of awesomeness. Im the worst when I play the first level of any sonic game, in terms of getting rings or an emerald. Because its usually the easiest one with only a few bad guys and tons of room to run like crazy. In some games I perfected the first levels to the point where I basically fly through the whole level in less than a minute.

In the first Knuckles level in Sonic Advanced (Neo Green Hill Zone) I basically climb to the highest height and literally glide over the whole leveltongue.png . 

Another bad thing I do when I play Sonic is to stop and enjoy the scenery or music in my favorite levels. Especially in generations where there are small things from older games hidden in the levels. Like the Chocolate Chip Sundae Supreme ice cream cart in Rooftop Run or Nights in Speed Highway. When I stop to smell the roses it usually gives me a bad grade, but I don't care. Because what I enjoy the most about Sonic games is the scenery and music. The games would not be fun for me if I ignored that.

Whenever I defeat a boss in any 2D Sonic game whether it be Mega Drive, Master System/Game Gear or Advance game, I rapidly look up to make it look as if Sonic's laughing in triumph at the bosses' defeat.

I am literally obsessed with using the Werehog grab+B move to keep pummeling some poor Gaia monster/Robot into the ground in HD Unleashed. It's as hilarious as it is satisfying and is without a doubt one of my absolute favorite Werehog moves.

I've consistently heard that playing as Sonic in SatSR with the backstep for so-called easy/more refined movement when walking backwards is an absolute must yet I never equip that specific move because it annoys the hell out of me. Who else is a non-backstepper?

I really don't like getting anything less than an S/A rank/Gold Medal (SatSR) or five star mastery rating (SatBK) because I aim for the greatest display of Sonic games playing unless I enter a stage for the sake of faffing-about in it.

• Thumbs Up 2

Quirks... all I can think for the moment.

Sonic The Hedgehog:
- In Spring Yard act 2, rolling in the slope, right before the end of the stage, and jump to take the upper path. A failure if I didn't make it. Most of the time I can't get the timing right!

Sonic 2:
- Try to get all the Chaos Emeralds in Emerald Hill alone. There is a total of 8 star posts counting both acts. It's hard, but not impossible.

Sonic CD:
- Try to beat every act 2 on future so the transition to the next feels natural. Even if that means wandering around for minutes until I find an available post.

Sonic 3 & Knuckles:
- Occasionally when beating an act, I place Sonic and Tails together in a way that, when they pose, is seen like in the data select screen.
- Like Dr. Crusher, I get Super Emeralds in the same order as the regular ones.
- Like Da Victoes, I look Up and Down to add cinematic effects. Mostly in this game alone.
- When fighting the final boss in Death Egg, I coordinate my movements so when Sonic jumps and hits the mech, it follows with Tails hitting the capsule where is hold the Master Emerald. REAL SUPER POWER OF TEAMWORK!!!
- In Doomsday, in the second phase chasing Eggman, I let my rings consume so the music speeds up. It's to add a dramatic feel of urgency in the final part of the game.

Sonic Advance 2:
- Collect 999 rings in the Special Stages. It also helps to get the max score possible (999999) when I do a complete playthrough.

Sonic Colors
- Same as JezMM, breaking the whole score before Sonic poses. A common occurrence after play it many times.

Then what I do in general, like trying to collect many rings as possible; Not getting hit; Score attacks; Always aiming for the highest rank, because it feels incomplete the game to me if it lacks them.

You know how in the classic Sonic games where if you jump in a loop at a specific timing and then roll, you get a lot of speed? (the way normally used to kill Sonic in that S-Loop in GHZ Act 1) Yeah, I've forgotten the timing recently, and I absolutely forbid myself from moving on (especially in Sonic 1) without having done it properly.

I never tried this in the classic games, but I always do it in the Rush games with the boost! Heh, weird.

• Thumbs Up 1

It's much easier in the Rush/ColorsDS/Sonic4 games due to their difference in physics - I'd say the one in the classics require more skill and better timing.

In S3&K I always get the 3 Super emeralds on the left first, then the 3 on the right, and the middle one last. Any other order just feels wrong to me.

I'm incredibly obsessive about perfect runs - I always try to speedrun a stage even if i'm just playing through it for fun. This resulted in Colours taking a month to complete because I kept failing these little sections and constantly retrying. I got like, three acts done within a day or something

I like a lot of people in situations where I have to wait will crouch to the music.

I will always try to run down slopes whenever possible, its not the safest way to play.

I will set controls of Sonic and Tails the same so it makes sense for him to keep up in universe. This way I can make him fly me places, to shortcuts, and the part of Launch base where Sonic rides the Egg-o-matic he'll be flying right behind him.

I will always be in Light speed dash mode when playing through levels in Sonic Adventure, so I can see how the momentum actually effects his speed.

In cases I will always try to run instead of roll when getting very fast, when there's a low ceiling after gaining speed or spindashing I'll jump to it to keep the speed up while running. I come down faster when hitting the ceiling so I won't lose momentum when jumping.

In Sonic 1, I always fear this thing called "the Special Stage Curse". The idea is that the longer you're in a Special Stage, the higher your chances of getting screwed over are. It usually happens in The Big Giant Space Of Fail (a.k.a. the third one) and it happened to me just now.

God damnit Neon! The Hedgehog Engine is a graphics engine, nothing else. GAH!

Hey no one said I was a sonic expert tongue.png

In Sonic Heroes, before going to single player in the menu, I go right once and then left once, to make Sonic the leader, so to speak. This is a relic from when I was a kid and absolutely hated Tails. Mainly because of his voice.

- Don't know if this is that weird or not, but I love doing the somersault a lot in SA2 to make homing attacks and stuff look cool.

• Thumbs Up 4

i guess one of these little quirks for me is that in any of the older games that have the capsules to stand on to release the animals, I like to have sonic stand on the edge and look like he is going to fall off for the entire rest of the results screen every time I can. Its just silly and funny to have him look like he has lost his balance for so long and that it looks like he is scared of a high fall, when its barely off the ground at all.

Also, I think most of us in Sonic 2 and 3 try to get the emeralds as soon as possible. The first level or two are always alot easier, so its to our advantage to get them as soon as possible. I dont know where all the posts or giant rings are in the later levels as I do in the early levels, so I figure this is common.

i guess one of these little quirks for me is that in any of the older games that have the capsules to stand on to release the animals, I like to have sonic stand on the edge and look like he is going to fall off for the entire rest of the results screen every time I can. Its just silly and funny to have him look like he has lost his balance for so long and that it looks like he is scared of a high fall, when its barely off the ground at all.

In Sonic 2 I'll always stand on top of it at least once to make Sonic get bored, and then the next three times are each of the different ledge balancing animations, then I'll do the four movements again for the next four levels, and finally that leads nicely into Sky Chase Zone where from then on there are no capsules.

In Sonic Advance as Amy sometimes I hammer jump in the centre of the screen as the capsule comes crashing down. If I time it right I jump straight through the falling capsule and land on the top.

In Sonic 2 after destroying each egg capsule I tend to spin dash while the score tally comes on screen because I don't like to see Sonic's waiting animation play. I dunno why but I always do this, or I jump on the button over and over again. I also tend to get all but one chaos emerald in EHZ just to get the out of the way early. (I know there is a way to get them all but I honestly can't figure out how to reach this one platform before the last starpost right before Dr. Robotnik...) I always take the same path in Green Hill Zone Act 1 to try and collect the pyramid of rings. (You know the S tunnel path? Yeah that one! xD) Finally I always make the signpost hit one or all of the monitors in Angel Island Act 1. There are probably more but I can't think of them now. :V

Whenever I play Sonic Generations, I like to slide into goal rings.

Yeah, whenever I get to the end of a stage in Unleashed or Generations, I always try and make it look really cool. Especially when someone is watching me play.cool.png

Whenever I play Sonic Generations, I like to slide into goal rings.

Same here, except I like to do that more with the 3DS version than on the PS3.

Also, we all know Twinkle Park right? That theme park with the awesome roller coasters, the bowling alley, a really cool castle, a rather creepy hall of mi -

OH THAT'S RIGHT! The Hall of Mirrors. Where Zero is stalking and trying to hunt Amy, many mirrors exist to confuse you or guide you, and there may or may not be a lost baby wandering the halls.

That song that plays in the background, Fakery Way, has creeped me out so much, that as soon as I get to this section, stop. Gotta hit dat mute button.

And then put on Palmtree Panic Good Future on in the background. Pray that poor baby somehow finds its mother out of this crazy hall.

I'm sure a lot of people do this, but whenever a Sonic level is really short and Iike the song playing, I stand around for a while so I can hear my favorite part of the song. I do this all the time in Sonic CD with both soundtracks, especially Quartz Quadrant's Present JP theme.

• Thumbs Up 2