Awoo.

Sega Genesis/Megadrive(+32X and CD) Game disscussion, review, advice and opinion thread

Mando-Whirl-Wind

Finding classic game stores is so difficult these days. You are better learning how to shop for good stuff on Ebay and getting your games there, unless you can find a classic store. I've used Ebay a lot and know how to get good deals and good products on there, so it is very possible to get good things there.

The Mega Drive.

The MEGA DRIVE.

Holy heck yes I love this thing. <3 Dynamite Headdy, Sonic 3 & Knuckles, Road Rash, the Shinobi series. Just a few examples of games that I can't get enough of.

I have three of these bastards, the Model I (that I use) the Model II (with an incredibly faulty power supply) and a Genesis Model II I won in a contest from SEGABits for producing a review.

I really want a 32X though. Finding a PAL one for something in my price range is a pain in the arse though. Already got VR32X for it, haha!

I have a SegaCD, but I don't have a 32X either. Sonic Chaotix is one of the very few Sonic games I've never played. I never wanted to play it on an emulator, since I figured that I would get a 32X one day. I just don't know when that will be, especially since I want one with the box if I can maybe one day. I don't need the box, but it would be nice.

I actualy do hope to track down a 32X and CD eventualy, however I know a guy who deals with a lot of different systems, and actualy sells at market price, so I'll proably buy it from him when I'm ready rather than inflated online prices

(then again this is the guy I bought my Saturn from XD and its still working so I trust him somewhat)

What a coincidence that this thread was bumped today. My PS2 Slim power adapter came in the mail while I was at work, so now I don't have to run my X'Eye with less power than it actually requires to play Sega CD games by using a Genesis II power supply, risking permanent damage to the CD lens. Like I had been... for... several years now...

Though my new TV doesn't play as nicely with the component signal that I send from it as my old one did. The old one would run a 240p image, whereas this one upscales it to 480i and makes it look a bit screwy when in motion.

I actualy do hope to track down a 32X and CD eventualy, however I know a guy who deals with a lot of different systems, and actualy sells at market price, so I'll proably buy it from him when I'm ready rather than inflated online prices

(then again this is the guy I bought my Saturn from XD and its still working so I trust him somewhat)

If you can find this stuff for a cheaper price than the stuff online, I would go for it. Things are almost always cheaper when you can pick them up yourself than when you buy them online. With me however, I don't really have any stores around, other than Gamestops to buy older games from, so I often have no choice but to use Ebay. Won't use Amazon because you can't see pictures of what you are buying.

You know, you would really think that someone would have put together a retro gaming store website by now for people trying to get good deals on good amounts of old games :( I need a btter way to get a good bundle of Genesis games I want without having to pay an arm and leg :(

I need to put together a basic collection of genesis games, does anybody know of any good sites or someplace to track down a decent bundle of good games for a good price?

Other than Ebay or going to a classic gaming store if you can find one, I'm not sure I know any place like that. The big thing with me, is that I also try and get games that come with their boxes if can help it. I have bought games without their boxes before, but I've regretted it later. I do know what you mean about it being hard to collect older games though and ones that are in good condition at that.

• 1 month later...

So, forgot to mention it here, but I did manage to track down a nearly complete in box copy of Comix Zone for $3 only missing the CD. And I found a great chain of stores in Arizona that carries a lot of classic games(also managed to grab a copy of X-men Children of the atom only missing manual, and a complete MVsC(DC)) But yeah, its called Bookmans.

So reason why I bring it up is that I plan to visit it on my way home, and pick up a couple of games, so I thought I would ask for any recomendations for some good games at decent games that proably wouldnt be hard to pick up

So, forgot to mention it here, but I did manage to track down a nearly complete in box copy of Comix Zone for $3 only missing the CD. And I found a great chain of stores in Arizona that carries a lot of classic games(also managed to grab a copy of X-men Children of the atom only missing manual, and a complete MVsC(DC)) But yeah, its called Bookmans.

So reason why I bring it up is that I plan to visit it on my way home, and pick up a couple of games, so I thought I would ask for any recomendations for some good games at decent games that proably wouldnt be hard to pick up

Out of curiousity, I did some research regarding Bookmans and it seems to be like an Arizona book version of Computer Exchange (CeX) or a charity shop in a certain way. Interesting.

Anyway while the recommend games list I did earlier up that is spoiled, some of them are pretty hard to get so probably you are thinking of some cheap but good games. Hmmm...

Well. Games that had a very large print run, were or still are popular games in general, still easy to find and every system has a fair share (e.g. Super Mario Bros. on the NES, Halo and Project Gotham Racing on the Xbox, Gran Turismo 5 on the PS3) are known as common games towards collectors. Some of these even ended up on compliations, charity packs or console bundles. I'm guessing that you already have Sonic 1 and Sonic 2. I'm also guessing that you're not into John Madden Football since sports games over time become a burden and are the easiest games to find usually (except some like the European version of World Championship Soccer II where only a couple of copies have been found) due to that only a very few people want them. Like I can find FIFA games for the past couple of systems no problem even though I don't want football games.

6Pak - You might already have this cartridge, it was late to the systems life however it is a compliation of some earlier Sega titles. This one is I think has Super Hang-On, Columns, Golden Axe, Revenge of Shinobi, Sonic 1, Streets of Rage all good games. Where I come from, there were collections like this and I have the Mega 6 that is similar to this one where instead of Golden Axe and Super Hang-On, it has the awful World Cup Italia 90 aka Sega Soccer and the decent Super Monaco GP. The US has the better deal!

Aladdin - Pretty good platformer even though the control is a touch loose. Due to the movie being hyped up at the time, should be cheap and easy to get even though I couldn't get the game back in the day sad.png

Castle of Illusion starring Mickey Mouse - Pretty good platformer, should be easy to find no problem.

Desert Strike - Isometric helicopter shooting and saving people game, was really popular at the time and is pretty good. Since it is an EA game and like Sega, EA did high print runs on many games, this should be very easy to find cheap.

Lotus Turbo Challenge - A port of Lotus Turbo Challenge 2, one of the really good games on the Amiga. It's a racing game that can get pretty hard but I found it fun and if you have heard of the Top Gear series on the SNES, this is the original version of those games. While it might not be as easy to find compared to some other EA games, it should be pretty cheap. Oh and don't have the volume too loud, the music is quite bad when compared to the Amiga version however it is only played during menus. Lotus 2 (Lotus 3) is another option but harder to find.

QuackShot starring Donald Duck - Don't have this game but apparently it is a good one. Should be easy to find.

Revenge of Shinobi - See the 6Pak and easy to find however the original version is getting harder to find since it has Batman and Spider-Man while later releases only had Spider-Man as a boss. As a result, people are buying more of the game and could go up in price.

Road Rash 2 (or choose Road Rash 1, it is up to you) - A motorbike game where you can attack the other bikes, I found it a fun game. Should be cheap and easy to find.

Streets of Rage 2 - Really, really, really good beat em up and one of the best that is out there. While probably more pricer than the others listed here, you should be able to find this one.

Super Monaco GP - A formula one racing game that is pretty decent however compared to most formula one games after this one, it has aged in terms of the controls and accuracy to the sport. Graphics are decent and the music is good though, still okay to play. This game was really popular and got many print runs, even to the point of having a ESRB rating on one! (Some early games got plenty of re-releases) Should be really easy to find and should also be really cheap but if it is over a dollar or two, then hmm...

Some of the games that I've mentioned on the earlier list such as Adventures of Batman & Robin, RoadBlasters, Rolling Thunder 3, Lightening Force (Thunder Force IV), Gauntlet IV, Mega Bomberman, Mega Turrican and others that I forgot the first time such as Mickey Mania, Sub-Terrania, Castlevania: Bloodlines, Alien 3, Trouble Shooter, Battletoads and Double Dragon, Blades of Venegance, Burning Force, Soldiers of Fortune (The Chaos Engine where I come from), Contra Hard Corps, Dynamite Headdy, Gunstar Heroes, Dragon's Fury (Devil's Crush), The Steel Empire, Gain Ground, Jewel Master, Legend of Galahad, The Lost Vikings, Outlander, OutRun 2019, RoboCop vs. the Terminator, Rocket Knight Adventures, Sparkster, Shadow Dancer, Shinobi III, Toughman Contest (decent Punch-Out clone). I don't know how much they are worth and how easy they are to find, even though some of these are well known towards the gaming community.

Shinobi III has been recently re-released on the 3DS as a download and might be a cheaper option.

Thanks Don Snowcone, I will copy some of these down for when I stop by there(also its pretty awesome and has a good selection) Though I was actualy considering the Saturn version of Road Rash

Saturn Road Rash is a completely different game from the Genesis ones. Think the difference between the original Outrun and, say, Cruis'n USA.

Saturn Road Rash is a completely different game from the Genesis ones. Think the difference between the original Outrun and, say, Cruis'n USA.

Ok good to know, the genesis ones are proably easier to find in person as well XD, but yeah I should be able to find a couple of cartidges on the cheap, they actualy had an in case copy of earthworm jim last time I was there, just too bad I am not interested

• 6 months later...

Mwhahaha, rise from your grave thread, I am now happy to say I now have a Genesis Mark 2 with 4 controllers(3 mk1s 1 6 button model FP) with power cord and what I think is a Sega CD power cord

umm I don't think I have an actual AV cable though, I got an Auto RF switch, but pretty sure that alone won't work... so if anyone knows a good place to get the cables let me know

Oh and that's not the best part, I also got Air Diver, Alien Storm, Spidey and Venom Max Carnage, Altered Beast, Sonic 2, and spinball all Complete in Box! oh and an extra copy of Sonic 2, and 4 CIB sports/crappy games(NBA JAM Tourney edition, Madden 95, Wheel of Fortune, and Caesars palace), oh and the instruction manual

oh and I picked up the entire batch for $20!!

oh and I found a beat up Genesis mk1 with power cable, remote, and sonic 1 box! extremely beat up but still nice for display(for $10 bucks at a thrift store), the controller I may use, but the others are fun for display

so ya, gotta track down an A/V cable, and I still have some games I wanna track down, like the other spidey games, Captian America and the avengers, X-men, TMNT, perhaps a mutant league game. just for fun stuff really, but if anyone has leads I'll be thankful

wait this was a decent catch right?