Awoo.

under APPRECIATED Sonic games

castell-neath

I gotta say, when I played it the difficulty wasn't awesome. It felt too hard because of how shadow controlled like Luigi on ice yet the stages wanted precision platforming and all of the kill x enemies missions made you stick to one route and if you missed one enemy you had to run through the stage all over again.

Multiple story routes don't mean anything because 6/10 possible endings are automatically thrown out the window because the final story takes place on the black comet.

Hey, I hadn't beat the game yet!

Hey, I hadn't beat the game yet!

Ah sorry, I thought this was common knowledge and that most people who are playing through it knew about it already.

Sonic and the Secret Rings. It controlled well most of the time, except when you needed back up. It looks good (I love the cutscenes) and music is great as well.

I gotta say, when I played it the difficulty wasn't awesome. It felt too hard because of how shadow controlled like Luigi on ice yet the stages wanted precision platforming and all of the kill x enemies missions made you stick to one route and if you missed one enemy you had to run through the stage all over again.

Despite that, the game, in my opinion, was far too easy no matter what path you took.

Since Baba hasn't played it all the way through, EIGHT YEAR OLD SPOILERS-

Also, there wasn't nearly enough variation in terms of both story, gameplay, and overall enemy and level design.  So basically, no matter what path you choose, the experience feels pretty much the same.

So I personally think the game more than deserves all the panning it receives, but, you know, to each their own. ^^;

Also two other games that is under appreciated: Sonic Labyrinth & Sonic Blast. I played them both on "Sonic Mega Collection" and I think they're pretty cool. The reason Sonic's slow in "Sonic Labyrinth" is that Robotnik took them and replaced them with slow sneakers. Sonic Blast pushed the Game Gear/SEGA Master System to it's limits. I lke them.

I dont think that the advance games get that much praise they're actually pretty good games the only problems with it is getting the chaos emerlads

Despite that, the game, in my opinion, was far too easy no matter what path you took.

Since Baba hasn't played it all the way through, EIGHT YEAR OLD SPOILERS-

Also, there wasn't nearly enough variation in terms of both story, gameplay, and overall enemy and level design.  So basically, no matter what path you choose, the experience feels pretty much the same.

So I personally think the game more than deserves all the panning it receives, but, you know, to each their own. ^^;

Sooooo many stages in ShTH are copy and pastes of each other, even the ones were aren't supposed to be similar. It's just laughable how little effort went into it.

• Thumbs Up 1

Sonic R. Yeah the music is pretty love it or hate it (I for one grew up with the Sega CD version that lacked the music) and the controls could use some serious tweaking, but I think that in terms of concept and partial execution, it's probably the only game from the pre-Dreamcast/Adventure era that comes the closest to what a hypothetical classic Sonic game in 3D would had been like. Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles mostly play as they do in the Genesis games. You've got paths of level design that branch off into multiple paths and even have some secret arenas/paths. I think that if it was expanded to a full-blown 3D platformer while obviously taking some musical/gameplay cues from the Genesis games, the Saturn could have had the 3D Sonic game it desperately needed.

That and Team Metal Sonic is awesome. Especially Metal Knuckles, what a badass design.

Mecha_knckles.png

Sonic 3D Blast is a game I came to appreciate after a sour first impression during its initial run. It's unique from traditional Sonic games in terms of goals and level design, and isn't rid of fiddly controls and spotty collision detection, but once you understand the point of the game and its controls, it pretty much just clicks- becoming a fun little arcade romp. I grew to enjoy the inherent way Sonic can slide and drift; I dare say it's some of the most fun I've had just playing around with the character himself. It's got enough challenge appropriate for the parameters of its design, and isn't too easy nor too hard. And the soundtrack is boss; Jun recycled some of those melodies for a reason. It's not a particularly profound game, but for an afternoon's worth of fun I don't feel like I wasted my time.

• Thumbs Up 4

Where do I begin? Well here goes:

The Sonic Advance Trilogy:

Sonic Advance is the true Sonic 4, Advance 2 gave us boosting awesomeness BEFORE Sonic Rush, Advance 3 gave great character co-op with speed and platforming (yes please!). Great music in all three titles (especially 3) and don't even get me started and the bosses and level tropes!

The Sonic Rush Duology:

Let's see: Boosting, Trick system, Great stages, Great bosses, Kickass music in the first game (Thank you Mr. Naganuma!) and melodic masterpieces in second ( IMO, Tomoya Ohtani & Mariko Nanba did much better here than in Sonic 06), Blaze the Cat, and what's this? Special Stages that aren't a big pain in the ass!?

Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, and yes again!!

The Sonic Rivals Duology:

I haven't played 'em myself but after watching The Great Clement's playthroughs of both games, I'd be more than willing.  No PSP though sad.png

Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood:

I'm I the only Sonic fan who thought Sonic's first true RPG was pretty good!?  I mean sure the music blew (BIG TIME! And for a Sonic game that's a big sin!)  but I liked everything else.  Oh well...

Sonic Colors (DS):

So much for a watered-down version of the console version.  This was awesome!  The gameplay is just as fun as the Rush titles and the level design is even better and again the special stages don't suck. (I still like Rush more for having Blaze and IMO better soundtrack & bosses)

Man, Sonic handheld career in general is pretty damn under appreciated really.  The modern handhelds were the only things giving  Sonic with any sort of value during his "dark days".  While I thought Generations 3DS was step down, things are looking much better with Lost World 3DS as this game is actually gonna have 3D platforming!  Good luck Dimps.

Edited by FireBird75
  • Thumbs Up 1

Sonic R Sonic 3D Blast and Sonic Heroes those games are awesome Heroes isn't the best at times but it was still awesome

I honestly think Sonic Chaos is very under appreciated, especially next to Sonic 2 and Triple Trouble. Half the time it seems like people only praise Sonic 2 8-bit when it comes to the 8-bit games. Chaos was the game that introduced the Spin Dash and Strike Dash to the 8-bit series, plus it was the first game that the player as Tails could fly. The special stages were interesting, and unlike the 16 bit games didn't have the same repetitive gameplay each level was unique and different from the other. Finally for a 8-bit soundtrack there isn't a song in the game that is horrible, where as in Triple Trouble has a pretty horrible soundtrack aside from three or four tracks. Lets go on to the next under appreciated game.

Sonic 3D for the Genesis comes to mind next. Many people didn't like the gameplay as you have to collect flickies to go on to the next portion of the stage. I can get why this could get annoying for some fans, and the fact that the little buttheads like to end up going near traps can make you rage when you need to collect them after you lose them, but I still have fun when I play the game. Plus I honestly think the 16 bit soundtrack matches the levels moreso than the Saturn version of the game.

• Thumbs Up 2

Hands down Sonic Unleashed. I'm sorry but theres just way too many good things about this game that people ignore just because they are not pleased with Werehog's controls or Werehog in general. I love werehog, he's ruff around the edges but I still like the design of him. Personally, I thought it was cool to focus on Sonics strength instead of speed for a while. You were slower as Werehog, but because of that you had a chance to stop and smell the roses. Enjoying the beautiful scenery. Like the random penguins thrown in Holoska (I love those guys). Besides, its not like Unleashed had no running. The speed Sonic ran during the day in unleashed was one of the fastest running times in Sonic game history. You could practically glide through each stage. So I don't see why people make a big deal out of werehog and not the wisps. Because when you think about it, both werehog and the wisps are just power-ups for Sonic. Only the Werehog power-up is better. Sorry, but I've never been a wisp fan. No offense to people who are.

I've already said this a couple times so I will try to keep it short. But the Sonic Unleashed album is amazing. Sega did not have to go as far as to put instruments from around the world into the game. They did not have to do a lot of research about the places around the world that the scenery was based off of. But they did, because they put a lot of care into every aspect of this game. Which again I feel people trash and ignore simply because they don't like Werehog.

Now don't get me wrong, I love Tails. And I am not saying I want our two tailed fox to be replaced. But it was nice to see Sonic interact with a different character. Chip was funny and crazy. Like a sugar rushed toddler Sonic had to try to controlbiggrin.png . They had a good dynamic, which is why I feel like some people liked Night of The Werehog so much. The story for unleashed was unique from other Sonic tales. It was not just about collecting the seven emeralds yet again. It was about Sonic trying to return to normal and get his friend Chip's memories back. Giving the tale of Sonic more depth. Because for once Sonic was a little fragile. He did not want his friends to see him as a Werehog because he did not want them to think he was a monster. He was not sure if he would ever turn back to normal. But he was relieved when his friends Amy, Tails, and Chip treated him the same way despite his transformation.

I dunno. Maybe I love this game so much that I am blind to its faults. But you have to admit that there are good things about this game that people stick their noses up at.

Edited by Neon The Hedgehog
  • Thumbs Up 3

The Sonic Rush series in general has fun gameplay, fantastic music and an great story. Not to mention Blaze has some pretty interesting quirks and flaws that makes her relatable. Yeah, the game has issues (I personally hate the Jet-ski part in Sonic Rush), but most of the game is pretty solid. It's a shame more people don't acknowledge it, considering it paved the way for much of the Sonic series today with introducing Blaze and boosting.

• Thumbs Up 3

Sonic 3D Blast. I see many admitting their dislike for the game or outright forgetting about it, when in fact I preferred it more as a child than many other Sonic games. It was a good attempt for 3D back in the mid-90s. It had some interesting level designs, I liked the emerald challenges, and the flickies were adorable.

430px-Sonic1gg-box-us.jpg

When people think of Sonic 1, most think of the 16-bit version. And yes, I won't deny that I think it's the better version. But this, the 8-bit version, still has a charm of it's own. I think the level design is solid, with the Jungle Zone being my favorite. I like how the Chaos Emeralds were hidden in the levels themselves. I personally thought it was a nice way to add exploration to the levels. And the soundtrack was solid - I think most of us can agree that Bridge Zone had an awesome song.

However, I've never been able to finish this game. It's not that I wouldn't be able to, as the game isn't really that hard. But, every time I get to Labyrinth Zone, the game freaking resets on me and kicks me back to the title screen. No, I am not kidding. This is an actual glitch and I can never finish the game because of it. But other than that, the game is actually pretty good. Better than 8-bit Sonic 2 at least. >_<

• Thumbs Up 7

However, I've never been able to finish this game. It's not that I wouldn't be able to, as the game isn't really that hard. But, every time I get to Labyrinth Zone, the game freaking resets on me and kicks me back to the title screen. No, I am not kidding. This is an actual glitch and I can never finish the game because of it. But other than that, the game is actually pretty good. Better than 8-bit Sonic 2 at least. >_<

Is there any other way you can get the game? Its not cool that it keeps resetting on you, especially since you love it so much.

You people are going to think I'm joking, but I'm not.

429px-Labyrinth-box-us.jpg

~Sonic Labyrinth~

Okay, I'll go out of my way and say no, it isn't a GREAT game. But good lord, people saying it's as bad as, say, '06? You probably haven't actually played it.

I'll admit, when I first tried it on Sonic Adventure DX, I didn't like it very much. It was weird to control with the GC controller and I didn't know what I was supposed to be doing, so I didn't even get past the first area! Still, at least I gave it a shot, so I figured I was completely reasonable to dismiss it as being as awful as the game known as "Sonic Next Gen".

Years passed, and I (re-)joined SSMB after a few years of just occassionaly lurk-visiting. Every once in a while I'd make a little jab at Sonic Labyrinth, because who doesn't?! But earlier this year, something happened. I'm not sure what caused it, but I suddenly had a whim to Try Again.

And that's when I tried Sonic Labyrinth in an emulator and realized it actually...isn't......that bad?

I mean, first of all, I actually got used to the controls pretty quickly. It's kind of like pinball in a way, which is demonstrated by the occasional random pinball-style flipper and bumpers and such. So the developers of this game, despite popular belief, did have some idea of what Sonic is! And while he doesn't run fast, the Spindash works just as you'd expect; once you figure things out, it really isn't a slow game.

Also the music is pretty fun from what I heard and the bosses are kinda neat imo.

So yeah, I found myself enjoying Sonic Labyrinth. Admittedly I wasn't able to beat it, it's surprisingly hard (for me, anyway!), but I might give it another shot one of these days. The main reason I'm making this post is that I feel like it's a shame this game is associated with the likes of Sonic Blast and ESPECIALLY Sonic '06. It might not be anything near an amazing game, but it's nowhere near being as offensive as the game that many expected would kill the series. B|

EDIT: 

Some (dis?)honourable mentions:

• Sonic Colours DS ( this game that I agree with 100%) I even like the Mother Wisp battle in an odd way. Plus I like her design, what a cutie. I waste a lot of time in the VS. mode and with the missions. Last, but definitely not least: I like that the characters interact. Like they're supposed to!!...although Amy was handled pretty badly. :/
  • Sonic Triple Trouble: Again, I didn't beat it, but I do like it just fine. I really suck at the Game Gear games, haha.
  • Sonic Battle: I dunno, I just like it I guess. I get why it doesn't get much love, though, it definitely has some problems. I'd love to see a sequel of some sort.
  • Sonic Gems Collection: No I'm not saying every game in it is underappreciated although a few are, I'm sure, I mean the collection itself. I LOVE the presentation in this game. The extras are really cool and I love the menu music~
  • Sonic Riders,

And finally: Sonic UnWiished! It was so freaking boring and extremely embarrassing when compared to it's HD counterpart that it made me appreciate the entire series a lot more! And gave me a game that I can safely say is worse, for me personally at least, than '06. Note that this just goes for the Wii version, I haven't played the 360/PS3 version but eh, it looks good. I'll give it a shot someday.

Edited by ElementofChaos
  • Thumbs Up 7

I feel like a good bit of Sonic games are pretty underappreciated, but here's the standout ones of that crowd.

- Sonic Advance I feel is probably one of the greatest 2D Sonics and no one really cares all too much for it. Its smooth jazzy soundtrack always gives me chills with how well its written, and the blend of the Genesis and Adventure feeling really hits the spot for me. Its got such a good feeling to it that I can't shake off, and while for some it may be Sonic 2 or something, this is really just /that/ Sonic game I can pick up and play immediately. 

Basically, I love Sadv1 to pieces. Such a great game, such a great feeling. <3

- Sonic 3D Blast is actually anything from a pretty okay game (PC, Genesis) to a pretty great game (Saturn) but I don't think it gets respected or appreciated enough for what nice things it had. Not only are both soundtracks essentially musical goldmines, but the visuals are all kinds of endearing (especially Saturn/PC versions). 

The Saturn version also gets another various amount of pluses, mostly withstanding is how the game feels a bit less slippery and the special stages are sublime and probably the greatest the series has ever had and ever will have, period. Honestly, if this game rather featured longer stages based around getting to the goal, I'd be almost all for this game. Collecting the flickies does make it a good bit of a drag to play, but I think if you got the patience to put up with it, you can seriously get some enjoyment out of this game.

- Sonic Unleashed for reasons already mentioned. It had so much love put into it, but its kind of infuriating that it's forever forgotten for the sake of taking jabs at the Werehog. Its massive backlash is probably why Sega is afraid to do world-building, an "adventure"-esque pacing, and a narrative like that ever again too, which only rubs salt on the wound. Sure, it had its moments of questionable design (oh so definitely) but the fact that its quality was so high compared to Sonic 06 should've been enough of an eye-opener to even outsiders, but somehow it wasn't.

Lets also not even go into how its easily one of the prettiest and most impressive-looking games of last gen.. so pretty that the guy who made the engine that was running it got hired to work as a graphic engine design head for SQUARE ENIX (you know.. the VG kings of visual fidelity, yeah, those guys). The Hedgehog Engine is far outdated now, but man did it do some great things with Unleashed's look.

- Sonic Adventure isn't really that under-appreciated but it does get lots of flak for being so "different" in style from previous Sonic games, even though the art style and music style was generally just a progression of S3K. Plus, I know a lot of people like to say its as buggy / unplayable as '06 which is straight up bullpoop cuz (at least the DC International Edition) plays pretty dang good minus the occasional slope collision flub.

I guess I also tend to forgive this game's shortcomings and downfalls because it was the first official 3D Sonic. Sonic has such a complex and experimental gameplay style that there was really almost no way to get it 100% right the first time. Back then, dash pads were moreso a crutch for the then 'rough-around-the-edges' gameplay engine, and the acting/cutscenes sucked because thats just how acting/cutscenes in games tended to be back then. The game still oozes charm and that classic Sonic feel regardless (as well as actually being pretty dang fun for half the gameplay styles), and I just can't help but forgive it for its missteps. They were trying. You gotta give them credit.

- Sonic R doesn't have too much of an excuse though for playing like crappy tanks (because the game is literally a reskin of a once in development Traveler's Tales made tank racing game), but the amount of irritation shown for it is way overblown. Especially towards the soundtrack, since that spoop is the catchiest music on this side of the cosmos. How could you hate it?! The art style and overall feel is also endearing and attractive as hell, especially compared to 90% of the rest of Saturn's library.

Of course, that charm-filled endearingness was being worked on around the same time as SA1 (as recent interviews with Hoshino and Iizuka implied), so that all makes a lot of sense.

- Sonic Rush Adventure is pretty forgettable concept-wise, but the game itself is pretty wonderful. The story is fun and interesting, the environments are great and the whole game feels like one big unique experience. The fact that Blaze is involved only amplifies the heavy amounts of "good great yes" to this. Its a dang good title that sadly gets overlooked way too often.

- Sonic Battle is a pretty fun game that is a good romp of mindless action and stuff. It kind of funked up some of the character portrayals a bit but I excused that for what was pretty much the perfect time-waster.. and perfect sore-thumb-creator.

- Sonic Shuffle is actually a mad cool looking game with great music, a wonderful atmosphere and pretty great mini games. I think people dog it so quickly though is due to it's.. well, its terrible AI and loading times. Kind of makes me wish that fanmade bugpatch that fixes the loading times and makes them easier on you was just part of the actual game..

And finally, the last one..

- Sonic Heroes is HAHAHAHAHA actually no this one is pretty awful in most respects there's no way to defend it.

But no I think that's all I can think of at the moment. Thats a good lot, I'd say, but yeah.

Edited by Azookara
  • Thumbs Up 6

At least Sonic Advance has some lasting popularity, I seem to recall that a lot of people have taken to calling it the "true Sonic 4"...since 2010. Hmmm. ;P

I enjoy Rush Adventure quite a bit more it's predecessor. Despite some people agreeing with me on that, I tend not to see much discussion on SRA compared to the first Rush...I guess it has gone a bit overlooked over the years, even by myself! I really only recently started playing it. I still need to beat it, actually, opps.

I thought about (seriously >:UUUU) mentioning Heroes, but I realized it really isn't that under-appreciated compared to some games in the series. I mean, it does get some love, even if it's often lumped in with ShTH and '06 a lot and treated as part the "Dark Age" of the series. I don't really agree with that despite my issues with Heroes, but eh, what're you gonna do? *shrug*

Also:

Plus, I know a lot of people like to say [sonic Adventure is] as buggy / unplayable as '06

Do people actually say this? My only experience with the game is the GC port, which IIRC is buggier than the DC version, but I never had any major issues with it, especially when compared to the stuff '06 has pulled on many an LPer.

• Thumbs Up 1

I completely agree with Element in regards to Sonic Labyrinth.

Now, granted, it's not exactly my favorite game, but I don't see how it is qualitatively even close to Sonic '06's levels.  Is it slower than a Sonic game should be?  Yes.  But once you get the hang of Spin Dashing properly, then it's not slow by typical gaming standards.  Basically, if you just take Sonic out of the equation, it's a game that can be played as intended (again, as intended), whereas Sonic '06 is filled to the brim with broken controls and tedious gameplay mechanics among other problems.  Thankfully, the game is also short enough so as not to overstay its welcome.

So yeah, Sonic Labyrinth.  Not the greatest game in the world by any stretch of the imagination, but I don't think it deserves to be put in the same light as Sonic '06.

Edited by Akito

At least Sonic Advance has some lasting popolarity, I seem to recall that a lot of people have taken to calling it the "true Sonic 4"...since 2010. Hmmm. ;P

Guilty and accounted for. :P

I thought about (seriously >:UUUU) mentioning Heroes, but I realized it really isn't that under-appreciated compared to some games in the series. I mean, it does get some love, even if it's often lumped in with ShTH and '06 a lot and treated as part the "Dark Age" of the series. I don't really agree with that despite my issues with Heroes, but eh, what're you gonna do? *shrug*

I do think its deserving of being bunched with 06 and Shadow, myself. It tramples all over the characters' personalities, tears apart the integrity to the storylines the series has sort of kept to before then (Shadow's return and the Chaotix canon-wipe being the biggest shames), and the writing.. wow, the writing.

Lets not even mention how the game is finicky, slippery, jerky and obnoxious to control and switch around characters; the level design has awful flow with way too much focus on enemies and broken combat, the characters are always talking throughout the stage with massively embarassing dialogue, and its all tied together with a tacky mixture of the SA2 and classic style coated in shiny plastic. 

Heroes' only plus is the music, and while the music was fantastic, well.. so was 06's. XD

Do people actually say this? My only experience with the game is the GC port, which IIRC is buggier than the DC version, but I never had any major issues with it, especially when compared to the stuff '06 has pulled on many an LPer.

Yeah, SA1 gets a lot of flack for aging badly and apparently being painfully glitchy. I know it has its fair share of glitches and bugs, and DX has its hiccups a bit more frequently than the DC International Version (I say that because the original JP release was a broken bug fest), but the only versions I can think of that are /that/ bad with it is everything from the PC version-onward, which now that I think about it, I'm sure its what everyone has been playing (since the PS3/360/Steam/etc versions are just a port of the PC version).

So I guess that's my cue then, fitting since I never commented in this topic yet anyway.

Sonic Heroes:  Cutting right to the chase, it's not a bad game. It's not super good, but id say it's at least decent. Im not gonna say everyihtg about it was perfect, almost everything about it when it comes to story, writing, and characterization is pretty dogshit barring a few exceptions (Vector was fun, Espio was corny but entertaining, Knuckles was still in his chill phase, and Omega was a fucking riot) so im not defending that. Though I feel that the in-game dialogue can be charming in it's own right, though this is kinda rare.

Gameplay wise it's a whole another game. I get what some people mean by flow breaking level design via combat, but more often than not I find myself breezing thorough a lot of these areas due to knowing what to do and getting level up gems well before hand. I don't know, it just feels good to plowing through tons of enemies while still maintaining your flow without slowing down at all, im not saying some levels don't do that, and most of those stages tends to be the weaker ones (Lost Jungle, Final Fortress, Power Plant). Controls aren't very good ill also admit that, then again the level design is forward-focused so I found them manageable (it goes to show in Shadow, which had the same control scheme, I noticed how annoying they can be when you're put in levels filled with nothing but tight corridors). Speaking of the levels, I love the wide variety of tropes that are covered here, Canyons, Casinos, Rain Forests, and Airship Armadas it was really great to see so much after SA2's more conservative method of having several levels based on the same general area of the storyline.

The level design, while also hit and miss, really do a great  job when it does hit. Ocean Palace, Egg Fleet, and Frog Forest are some of the most fun ive had in a 3D Sonic game. Music is fantastic, some of the best ive heard, it invokes of set of pure optimism and joy, it seriously helps me get into the game real well and just meld with it.

I don't personally see how one cant lump this game along with Shadow and 06, Heroes at least could be considered a Sonic game by identity and while the dialogue wasn't good, both these games have it 10 times worst, not mention they are worst aesthetically, graphically, even worse control, level design, etc etc etc...I just don't see how it's on the same level as those abominations imo.

What else? Sonic Colors? Nah. Sonic 2? Pffft. 

Sonic Advance 2 I guess, tis a fun title with some replay value.

• Thumbs Up 3

So I guess that's my cue then, fitting since I never commented in this topic yet anyway.

Sonic Heroes:  Cutting right to the chase, it's not a bad game. It's not super good, but id say it's at least decent. Im not gonna say everyihtg about it was perfect, almost everything about it when it comes to story, writing, and characterization is pretty dogshit barring a few exceptions (Vector was fun, Espio was corny but entertaining, Knuckles was still in his chill phase, and Omega was a fucking riot) so im not defending that. Though I feel that the in-game dialogue can be charming in it's own right, though this is kinda rare.

Gameplay wise it's a whole another game. I get what some people mean by flow breaking level design via combat, but more often than not I find myself breezing thorough a lot of these areas due to knowing what to do and getting level up gems well before hand. I don't know, it just feels good to plowing through tons of enemies while still maintaining your flow without slowing down at all, im not saying some levels don't do that, and most of those stages tends to be the weaker ones (Lost Jungle, Final Fortress, Power Plant). Controls aren't very good ill also admit that, then again the level design is forward-focused so I found them manageable (it goes to show in Shadow, which had the same control scheme, I noticed how annoying they can be when you're put in levels filled with nothing but tight corridors). Speaking of the levels, I love the wide variety of tropes that are covered here, Canyons, Casinos, Rain Forests, and Airship Armadas it was really great to see so much after SA2's more conservative method of having several levels based on the same general area of the storyline.

The level design, while also hit and miss, really do a great  job when it does hit. Ocean Palace, Egg Fleet, and Frog Forest are some of the most fun ive had in a 3D Sonic game. Music is fantastic, some of the best ive heard, it invokes of set of pure optimism and joy, it seriously helps me get into the game real well and just meld with it.

I don't personally see how one cant lump this game along with Shadow and 06, Heroes at least could be considered a Sonic game by identity and while the dialogue wasn't good, both these games have it 10 times worst, not mention they are worst aesthetically, graphically, even worse control, level design, etc etc etc...I just don't see how it's on the same level as those abominations imo.

What else? Sonic Colors? Nah. Sonic 2? Pffft. 

Sonic Advance 2 I guess, tis a fun title with some replay value.

So it's come to this.  The pivotal moment in my life, where I actually post something positive about Sonic Heroes.  I agree... I don't... hate Sonic Heroes.

Okay, so I used to hate Sonic Heroes.  Granted, I never considered it on the same lines as Sonic '06, but it was in my top 5 most detested Sonic games list for the longest time.  But earlier this year, something strange happened to me.  I started actually craving Sonic Heroes.  Since I was already on a play-through of my entire Sonic collection this year, Heroes would naturally come to me.  It's still not my favorite Sonic game by any stretch of the imagination, but I actually kind of like it now.  Kind of.

The core gameplay has plenty of bugs and occasionally controls a little weird, but it still just felt right.  The only time I ever felt like I was working against the controls were during the unresponsive special stages.  Other than that, it felt pretty seamless.  In fact, if I were to criticize anything about the game, it's that the controls felt too tight.  Still, it wasn't nearly as bad as I remembered and I even somewhat enjoyed the team aspect a lot more than I remembered.  Could it have been implemented better?  Most certainly, but for what they came up with, it was pretty intuitive.  Actually, the thing I found myself most infuriated at was the easiest concept in the game:  Team Blasts.

If there is any mechanic that essentially amounts to "press this button to win," it would have to be Team Blasts.  It would have been really nice if Team Blasts were a thing you actually did as opposed to just pressing a button and watching a cinematic.  Still, though, the first time around they're kind of charming.  Team Rose's in particular is very cute.  The others are either loud and obnoxious or just boring after seeing them several times over... or both.  Team Dark's in particular has a tendency to be the most nerve-grating because its time-freezing mechanics often hinder you during certain boss fights.

On the other hand, the soundtrack in the game is incredible.  I can't think of a single track that I dislike from this game.  Not one.  Of course, it wouldn't be an Akito post if I didn't point out the diversity of the soundtrack.  Alternative rock, pop rock, industrial, electro, hard rock, metal, symphonic scores... whatever Team Chaotix's theme is.  It's all there and each track fits in perfectly within their respective placements.

The plot... well, okay.  It's as silly as I remember it, filled to the brim with cringe-worthy dialogue and forgettable vocal performances, among other conceptual problems.  But I have to say that despite the ridiculous nature, it didn't really offend me.  It was stupid, but just the right kind of stupid where I can't help but either smile or just shrug it off and move on.  It was like a nice, little early-2000's Saturday morning cartoon, which isn't bad.  It's not preferable by any means, but it's not really horrible on rare occasion.

Okay, now here's the main problem I have with this game.  Only two of the playthroughs are actually fun, the first being Team Sonic's and the second being Team Dark.  The latter of which, however, is only fun when you think of it as a "hard mode" of sorts.  The Chaotix missions are long and dreadful fetch-quests or just ill-thought-out missions.  (Seriously, those stealth missions were just a bother.)  Team Rose's missions are just abridged versions of all the other levels.  Overall, it's just repetitive.  After you clear it once, you might have the desire to clean again... but you won't have the desire to clear it yet again... and then one more time.

I would comment about Metal Overlord being very underwhelming, but honestly, I can't help but find him fun to beat, so as long as he has that going for him I'm satisfied.

So overall, Sonic Heroes is not a bad game.  It's not a good game, either, but it's not bad.  Or, at least, not ShTH or Sonic '06 levels of irredeemable trash.  It has many redeeming qualities, but it gets really old after the third time around.  Now with all this out of the way, I'm not saying the game doesn't deserve to be received so poorly or even hated among fans.  I think it more than warrants being addressed as one of Sonic's weaker points in history, but I have seen many fans, including myself, lambast upon it a tad unfairly when there's a great deal of things to love as well as a great deal of things to hate.  TL;DR, it's average.  Not good, not bad, just... okay, and that's fine by my book.

Edited by Akito
  • Thumbs Up 1