Awoo.

under APPRECIATED Sonic games

castell-neath

I'm not sure if any game is really underappreciated by the fandom, since we tend to know absolutely everything.

I think the one game that is genuinely underappreciated by casual fans is Sonic 3. Casual fans always praise Sonic 1 and especially 2, but don't tend to give Sonic 3 much thought.

That's funny though, since the fanbase absolutely idolises Sonic 3.

Edited by Furie

Ok, I'm sleepy and I can't explain my opinions in details. I'll do that tomorrow,

• EVERY SONIC GAME MADE BY DIMPS - They carried Sonic while SEGA was still trying to figure out what to do with him. Give them props.
  • Sonic Riders - Before Sonic beat Mario at his own game (and then lost it in the sequel), Sonic had a racer that felt uniquely his. First one was the best cause it made you work for the tricks + Digital Dimension
  • Sonic The Fighters - It's a personal dream of mine to bring this VF clone some love. Anyone can put Sonic in a Smash game or M.U.G.E.N but it takes guts to give him a 3-D technical fighter.
  • Tails Adventure - This game needs an HD Remake. Stat!!
  • Knuckles Chaotix - SO UNDERAPPRECIATED THAT IT WAS RENDERED NON-CANON. Thanks Izukarolleyes.gif

As everyone else seems to be saying, Sonic Unleashed is a very underrated game. The werehog sections just didn't bother me as much as they did other people. Sure, they weren't the most exciting part of the game, but I had my fun moments with them. Sonic Riders was also a lot of fun to play despite only ever playing it by myself, though I think I liked Zero Gravity more because the gravity-drift controls were fun to use.

Screw Free Riders though, I couldn't even get past the tutorial on that one.

Ok, I'm sleepy and I can't explain my opinions in details. I'll do that tomorrow,

• EVERY SONIC GAME MADE BY DIMPS - They carried Sonic while SEGA was still trying to figure out what to do with him. Give them props.
  • Sonic Riders - Before Sonic beat Mario at his own game (and then lost it in the sequel), Sonic had a racer that felt uniquely his. First one was the best cause it made you work for the tricks + Digital Dimension
  • Sonic The Fighters - It's a personal dream of mine to bring this VF clone some love. Anyone can put Sonic in a Smash game or M.U.G.E.N but it takes guts to give him a 3-D technical fighter.
  • Tails Adventure - This game needs an HD Remake. Stat!!
  • Knuckles Chaotix - SO UNDERAPPRECIATED THAT IT WAS RENDERED NON-CANON. Thanks Izukarolleyes.gif

Time to EELLLLOBBBORRRRATE!!

1) Dimps where the first to truly create a successor to the classic Genesis games with SAd1 when no one else could do the job. Since then they deviated from that formula, but every addition they added became a massive influence on the Sonic games from then on (for better or worse): Boosting, Speed Boosters, Linear design meant to emphasize speed, multi trick systems to build up energy, hidden rings,etc. They also provided very amusing side-trips with Sonic Battle and Sonic Super Pinball (or whatever it was called). While Sonic Team was struggling to keep their momentum post Dreamcast, Dimps had consistently good scores from one game to the next; not AAA but enough to keep the brand afloat. Finally, Dimps where the fathers of Boost thanks to Rush and build a gameplay style that defined 3 console titles. Shame, they ended their work by being forced to ape the classics in order to make Sonic 4 Ep 1 and 2. If only they where allowed to their own thing. Oh well, at least they got Street Fighter to keep them busy.

2) Sonic Riders had a better trick system that rewarded skill and timing, not luck. It had a gimmick that complemented it's gameplay, not muck it up. It had interesting challenges, variant gears and extras. And finally, they had the least fucked up story line of the whole 3.

3)Man, I can go on-and-on-and-on, but my love for this game ultimately comes down to nostalgia and rarity; Everyone prefers Sonic in a 2-D Fighter, no matter what style of game. There was only ONE 3-D Sonic Fighting Game, it was based on Fighting Vipers which was based on Virtua Fighter and that alone makes it good in my book. I just wondered with all the emulations and fan games and fan edits of console games we've seen throughout the years, that nobody took this title and simply modded it into a better fighting game. Food for thought.

4) It's Tails in his own game, using his own gadgets, against his own rouges gallery, in a locale all his own, that is a quasi-Metroidvania game. What more do you want?!......oh, better graphics, a better interface system, perhaps a secondary attack system that doesn't use weapons, even a new game plus. Ok that sounds reasonable, as long as Izuka doesn't make this non-canon....

5) IIIIZZZZUUUUKKKKAAAAAAAA!!!!

That is all. End of line.

Sonic Heroes

Okay it's a bit on the glitchy side and the camera was annoying at times, but it was fun and added a unique team- style action to the series. You could choose your team and work with that choosen team. The Zones were nicely made and the music was neat, it could of been more memorable, but it was nice. 

It could do with some more love.

Sonic CD

I see some love for this game but I also see alot of hate and imo it's very under appreciated. The Zones were colorful, time travel made the game fun and interesting and added more to each zone to see a present, past and depressing, almost creepy like future created by Dr Robotnik/ Eggman, the music is amazing for both European, Japanese/ American versions and while it was a bit too easy, it was a fun and entertaining game from start to end. Don't understand the hate it seems to be getting lately. 

Edited by HippyAmy

Sonic Unleashed. The Werehog caused people to give it a bad rap, but the daytime stages are some of the greatest in the history of 3-D Sonic games.

I don't know if they are under appreciated or just right but these I feel need to be a bit more aware:

Sonic Triple Trouble - Now how I do word this without sounding biased considering that it is pretty much my favourite next to some of the more well known ones?

Anyway Sonic Triple Trouble (or Sonic & Tails 2 has my version on the Chinese multicart says, it says Sonic 4 on the menu) is a polished platformer of the series with a choice of Sonic & Tails who actually both play differently. It takes some of the best bits of the other classic games and yet has an identity of its own. The 3 act system has used in Sonic 1 [and the other 8 bit games], the Super Peel-Out, the Collision Chaos bumpers and a certain well liked character avoiding any spoilers from Sonic CD, the spin dash from Sonic 2, the rival conflict and the cutscenes from Sonic 3&K are all there but there are other things that the series have not used since. It was like Aspect had all the knowledge from their previous Sonic games and got it just right. It wasn't really hard like Sonic 2 on the Game Gear [Master System version is slightly easier and better due to the screen size and no randomisation of the first boss] but wasn't as easy as Sonic Chaos.

The creativity that the game has from the animations of the characters to the bosses (like the 2 stage turtle boss or running on the train line and defeating a cannon boss), the level design is solid with only Atomic Destroyer having any problems (there is a bug in that stage where you can get stuck), variation in terms of enemies and the music sounds different especially the trance like Sunset Park Boss. As for the graphics, they look really lush especially considering the hardware. The game has plenty of powerups that weren't seen ever again such as the giant spring stuck to your shoes, the Rocket Shoes from Sonic Chaos and a snowboard. Usually in platformers, the water and the ice stages are the least liked but here it makes an exception since Robotnik Winter is a fun ice stage just like Ice Cap in Sonic 3 and Tidal Plant when you play as Tails activates the Sea Fox, a submarine to travel the stage. Actually all stages and level designs are enjoyable from the Green Hill exipy, the Austrailian sounding slopey train station of Sunset Park, the tar jungle, the two that I mentioned and a tribute to Scrambled Egg from Sonic 2 Master System. There are even two types of Special Stages, one that is a time limit platforming trail with a boss at the end and the other is Sonic or Tails in the Tornado avoiding bombs. Considering a majority of Sonic games have the tried and trusted Sonic 2 special stage, it is nice seeing a change. Also Fang was handled really well as a rival and showing emotions (and would have had a gun if it wasn't for censors). There is even a Time Attack Mode even though it is just an altered stage of Great Turquoise.

Even the cover of this game I personally find awesome with a snowboarding Sonic [done with a mixture of his Japanese design and a bit of his American one], Fang holding a Chaos Emerald with glee, Knuckles looking up to find out what's going on and as a cloud, the AoSTH Robotnik design smirking.

If this was released on the Mega Drive/Genesis or even the Master System, it would have been known but because it was released on the Game Gear and the Game Gear was like gaming cooties, it was avoided and like Tails Adventure, they weren't ported to the Master System otherwise the Brazilians would have noticed and enjoyed this game. I just wish Aspect was given another chance to make a Sonic game since they cleared enjoyed making this game [even a certain H. Kojima is in the credits, probably not THAT one though unless someone wants to ask him] and Tails Adventure.

I could even go as far as saying that nearly all of the handheld/Master System versions of the games are under appreciated [plus Super Mario Land 2] due to not treated with the same respect as the console versions. When people look at the Game Gear, they just think all the games are rubbish and move on. Even Sonic Rush Adventure and Sonic Colours DS is the same in terms of getting ignored (Sonic Generations 3DS is a different story, buggy game that one), especially the former since that has a different feeling to much of the other games and Dimps learned some lessons in level design in terms of less bottomless pits.

• Thumbs Up 1