Awoo.

Over APPRECIATED sonic games

Inkling Cooper

I don't know how people are gonna react to this, but... Sonic 2 has to be THE most over appreciated Sonic game EVER. It's covered in nostalgia and it's "the best Sonic game" to practically everyone. It's an extremely superb game, I really can't deny it. But I just don't get why everyone figures that this game is the Messiah of Sonic games and comes to the conclusion that it has no faults or errors.

Yes, that.

All that Generations Classic has in common with S4 is shitty rolling and rebounding off enemies. They're not alike in any other way. Heck, I'd go as far as to say that S4 is actually a lot closer to the Classic format (done terribly, of course) than Generations, which is instead more like Rush in terms of level design.

Generations Classic is fun and simple, but utterly unlike the Classic games it attempts to emulate. And jumping sucks.

Edited by Blue Blood
  • Thumbs Up 1

How is it like Rush in terms of level design? Granted I haven't played it in awhile, but nothing about it screamed "Rush" to me, even if it isn't all that classic esque.

How is it like Rush in terms of level design? Granted I haven't played it in awhile, but nothing about it screamed "Rush" to me, even if it isn't all that classic esque.

Well the overpowered spin dash comes to mind

It's kind of hard to describe. The levels are quite flat, linear and shallow, with lots of alternate routes relying solely on you making a correctly timed jump at the top of a hill. Generations Classic is less Classic than S4.

Sonic had 10 levels. The closest runner-up had like 5 or 6.

Oh, right. But still, I don't like that I only love the minority of such a huge game.

I second Sonic and the Black Knight, but I'm more so confused with the praise for Secret Rings' story. Though I see it get a lot of praise for writing and characterization, I...honestly didn't like either. It's the same problem I have with all of Sonic's portrayals post-SA2 and pre-Colors: He's just boring flanderization of his former "heart-of-gold hero" personality that just makes him a generic shonen hero-person. And while I'm open to the possibility that Jason Griffith's horrific performance didn't help much, the writing...ehhhhhhh. I honestly thought the pinkie swear scene was stupid even as a kid.

On top of all that, though, much as I love the concept behind the story, in execution, I just thought it was boring. Shahra and Sonic's relationship didn't develop until the near-end when the writers apparently realized they had no development so now it's going to pretend they did and say "CARE, PLS." The "arrow of flame" thing ends up going nowhere in the long run, and the ending was so laughably pretentious that it had me in tears.

Sonic Adventure 2.

Sonic Adventure 2

SA2

SA2.

WHY DO YOU ALL DO THIS TO ME ;A;

• Thumbs Up 4

Definitely SA2. I just think everything about it is overrated and there's other games that handle things better. SA1 handled multiple playable character much better than SA2 did. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Oh, right. But still, I don't like that I only love the minority of such a huge game.

SA1 had a total of 27 32 levels: Sonic - 10, Tails - 5, Knuckles - 5, Gamma - 5, Big - 4, Amy - 3. Sonic got just over a third the levels. EDIT: Whoops. Missed out one the characters with 5 stages.

SA2 had 31 levels (not counting the Cannon's Core): Sonic/Shadow - 10, Tails/Eggman - 9, Knuckles/Rouge - 9, Driving - 2. Sonic/Shadow got a third again.

In both cases the standard gameplay makes up the largest individual portion of the game, but it's still way less than half. It's a real let down when the other types of gameplay are so mediocre.

Edited by Blue Blood

WHY DO YOU ALL DO THIS TO ME ;A;

Oh, buck up, man. At least your favored game didn't get compared to a crappy student getting a meh grade... tongue.png

Edited by Komodin
  • Thumbs Up 3

Well, I'll probably earn the ire of some SSMBers here, but Sonic and the Black Knight gets my vote, especially in regards to the story. Its story is not necessarily bad by any stretch of the imagination, but calling it the sterling example of Sonic stories/writing is kinda overselling it a bit. Compared to its predecessor, Sonic and the Secret Rings, I honestly just can't find myself caring for it as much.

While I'm not a fan of SatSR, I just have to agree with you about SatBK. When people here rave about how stellar the characterisation and story is, I just wonder if we were even playing the same game. Nothing, absolutely nothing about Black Knight's narrative stuck out to me as anything more than run of the mill. Sonic in particular is the very epitome of the bland and generic good guy in it.

Just a small reminder to people, not that the topic isn't going swimmingly:

Sonic Adventure 2
Sonic CD

jiffy the hedgehog

Sonic Colours (Wii version).

Merely listing items in a topic is a big no-no. Explain your choices in order to actually contribute to the discussion, otherwise you're spamming.

Oh, buck up, man. At least your favored game didn't get compared to a crappy student getting a meh grade... tongue.png

Take solace in the fact that far more people considered my favored game a crappy student performing to expectation. xP

• Thumbs Up 5

SA1 had a total of 27 levels: Sonic - 10, Tails - 5, Knuckles - 5, Gamma - 5, Big - 4, Amy - 3. Sonic got just over a third the levels.

SA2 had 31 levels (not counting the Cannon's Core): Sonic/Shadow - 10, Tails/Eggman - 9, Knuckles/Rouge - 9, Driving - 2. Sonic/Shadow got a third again.

In both cases the standard gameplay makes up the largest individual portion of the game, but it's still way less than half. It's a real let down when the other types of gameplay are so mediocre.

SA1's come to 32, so Sonic's a little bit under. I'd also count the 4 Sky Chase levels, which were similar in length to SA2's driving levels. That would be 10/36 in SA and 10/31 in SA2. Some would consider Tails's levels to be good enough to stand in SA's favour though (although I wouldn't myself).

Not that this contradicts your point of course. I just don't think that SA is any less guilty than SA2 is in this regard, despite what people say.

Edited by Pawn
  • Thumbs Up 2

What's so special about Sonic CD? Besides the music (Japanese) and the awesome anime cutscenes there's nothing else I find very appealing about it. The gameplay is just so not Sonic. Exploration just doesn't work, and it's annoying how you can get stuck in the walls at times when you travel through time.

And I agree with most here when they say Black Knight and Secret Rings really weren't that great in the story department. Sonic is just a typical goodie two shoes like Sonic 06 (except that last scene in Secret Rings) and even if the story was good it doesn't mean the gameplay is shit shit SHIT. Did you know you can beat most stages in Black Knight by waggling the controller, moving forward and pressing jump the whole time and nothing else?

Put what everyone said about SA2 in a nutshell and you have my opinion about the game, because I really have nothing new to add to the mix lawl.

I can't play Sonic CD. And I don't mean that I suck at it, no, I CAN'T PLAY IT. I get extremely bored of any of the Genesis titles to begin with, but Sonic CD comes with a big dose of motion sickness for me to add to the bunch. I have pretty weak eyes to begin with.

Sonic CD. I've tried to play the game time after time on my Xbox 360 (so yeah, it's the remastered version) but I seriously don't like it at all. I hate the time travel gimmick since in classic Sonic games (or any game really), I'd rather explore because I want to as opposed to exploring because I have to in order to 100% the game. It's not the controller of the 360 either, I was okay with it when playing Sonic 1, and 3&K, so yeah it's just the game itself.

Oh, and there's one more...

Sonic The Hedgehog 2

(pls dont kill me)

Seriously, I just can't enjoy this game at all. I've played 1, 3, Knuckles, and 3&K combined, but this game... Ugh, I just never have fun with it. I just don't like the levels, the bosses, and I DESPISE the special stages with a burning passion (and the method of getting to them). Also, the music just doesn't rank up there with the rest of the classics and the 3D games in my honest opinion. It's a good soundtrack, but I just don't think it compares to other games in the franchise.

Oh, and SA2. The treasure hunting stages and mech shooting stages can go burn in a fire. Why can't why play with Knuckles in a NORMAL stage? Not using the stupid radar to look for the emerald pieces. Tails' gameplay is just a 900% downgrade from SA1. 

Plus the soundtrack gets really tiring, really fast.

Edited by TheVGamer

What's so special about Sonic CD? Besides the music (Japanese) and the awesome anime cutscenes there's nothing else I find very appealing about it. The gameplay is just so not Sonic. Exploration just doesn't work, and it's annoying how you can get stuck in the walls at times when you travel through time.

The gameplay can be lack luster at times, but it's still one of my favorite 2d Sonic games. I love the time travel concept, seeing the future either saved or corrupted by your actions. The bosses are really easy, and the Collision Chaos boss is shit, but the bosses for Wacky Workbench and Quartz Quadrant are fun. I also like the concept of Tidal Tempest's boss.

Sonic Cd also introduced two staple characters, Amy Rose and Metal Sonic, so it gets obviously gets points with me there.

And like you said, the music. It's phenomenal, in both JP and US soundtracks. Sometimes music really helps a game, and in CD's case, it does. The JP music is incredibly fitting and gets me pumped up, and the US soundtrack has some really atmospheric tunes that make the levels have more of a personality.

That may have sounded biased, but even with all its flaws, CD is still a great Sonic game, IMHO.

Sonic1? Apart from Green Hill and Starlight Zone....where was "all the speed!?" Labrynth and Marble = URGH! Spring yard and Scrap Brain = Meh.

Still, it was the first one...no hype or over appreciation = No SS forum in 2013!! LOL!!!

Looking through this topic I forgot to mention Sonic Generations. Really, it's nothing special. AT ALL!

It's like Sonic Colours but with all the fun sucked right out of it. Not to mention the game takes about 2 hours to beat. Wow, is this the shortest game since Sonic R? =/ The story sucked, the gameplay was boring and the final boss is a confusing mess. This is most certainly not the most amazing game evar as most people seem to think.

Sonic1? Apart from Green Hill and Starlight Zone....where was "all the speed!?" Labrynth and Marble = URGH! Spring yard and Scrap Brain = Meh.

Still, it was the first one...no hype or over appreciation = No SS forum in 2013!! LOL!!!

That's how I felt about Sonic 1 until I played the Taxman remake. Since then, its earned a couple points for me. Marble Zone is still really boring, but the added spin dash makes levels a lot less frustrating, and it has some of the best platforming in the series. The music is a real treat to listen to as well. I actually enjoy it more than Sonic 2 and Sonic 3(since I've yet to play good ports of them.)

Looking through this topic I forgot to mention Sonic Generations. Really, it's nothing special. AT ALL!

It's like Sonic Colours but with all the fun sucked right out of it. Not to mention the game takes about 2 hours to beat. Wow, is this the shortest game since Sonic R? =/ The story sucked, the gameplay was boring and the final boss is a confusing mess. This is most certainly not the most amazing game evar as most people seem to think.

To each his own, I guess. 

While the story is mediocore, the music consists of some of the best Sonic songs ever remixed in all their glory, it perfects the boost gameplay from Unleashed by allowing you to explore the levels more, and Classic Sonic is made incredibly fun by playing 2d versions of 3d levels. Generations is one big love letter to the Sonic fanbase, and I love it with all my heart. It's my favorite Sonic game of all time, and it was the Sonic game that officially got me into the franchise after a five year absence. 

Edited by Chaos Incarnate

[sonic Generations is] like Sonic Colours but with all the fun sucked right out of it

What fun?

So yes, Sonic Colours and Generations would have to be my picks. 'Penthe and Dio have explained well what I think of both, SA2 doesn't seem to be over appreciated anymore and I'm not going to defend Sonic CD because I know I appreciate it much more than it deserves.

Edited by Palas
  • Thumbs Up 1

Over appreciated, you say? Hmmmm....

I'm gonna go with SA2. The funny thing is the game makes up in areas were things were done SO well, but MAN does this game have flaws. Knuckles and Rouge's stages are fucking terrible, especially the later ones like Mad Space (or as i call it WHERETHEFUCKDOIGO). With no extra radar to help find the other Master Emerald Pieces, it's a wild goose chase the whole way, with ones that can last up to thirty minutes. While the levels look nice, the gameplay is incredibly frustrating or flat-out cruel like in Security Hall (HE GAVE ME 15 MINUTES ROUGE Y U DO DIS).

Also, final bosses. MAAAAAAN OH MAN do I HATE the Biolizard boss. The fucker will mess up you hits whenever you try, not to mention the game's hit detection is shit. You could be perfectly be aming for him and at the LAST SECOND miss by a hair. Honestly, every time I get to this part of the game I put it off as long as I can (maybe a week or so) because this part is just so, SO, OH SO frustrating.

Other than that, the game ranges from mediocre to absolutely amazing. The "meh" part is on behalf of the shooting mechs from Tails and Eggman- some levels are great, some are forgettable, so it blend together to an "eh, whatever" to me. As for the other stuff- Sonic/Shadow levels? The story? The Chao Garden? The unlockable stuff you earn for emblems? Incredible. It's that kind of stuff that keeps the game's flaws balanced.

So I don't entirely hate SA2, I just don't put it on the pedestal many people in the fandom have. It's a great game, but a very flawed one at best.

...Oh yeah, and the stuff you have to do to get the emblems can be a BITCH. That's a huge flaw I forgot abut.

• Thumbs Up 3

Time to dig my early grave!

Numero Uno! Sonic Adventure 2! Hailed as "the last great Sonic game." "The game with the best story." "The cream de crop of 3D Sonic gameplay...."

I'm not seeing it. I'm willing to say that I enjoyed 2/3s of the gameplay, as the Action stages and (surprisingly) the Shooting stages I got enjoyment out of. I'm also willing to say that I was entertained with the story at many points. And I am certainly able to say that the Chao Gardens had much more care put into them in this game. But the best of the best? Not only was the execution of gameplay style better in its predecessor (more expansive stages, slightly better controls), there were much better characterized and executed stories to come latter down the line.

Number Two! Sonic Colours! "The greatest Sonic game since SA2! (What's this? A pattern?!) Fantastic story and voice acting, exceptional 3D platforming, best 2D platforming since the classics, and the pioneer of both styles."

I probably shouldn't snicker at such words, but I can't help it! While the voice acting is more of a subjective matter (for me it's 4kids cast forever, but I digress), the story execution is not. It has almost all of the problems Shadow the Hedgehog has in terms of story, but with the opposite tone. I'd call it laughable, but there were only a few jokes that actually made me laugh. There was little to no 3D platforming in this game, as you could really call it 90% 2D and 10% 3D and it would be fairly accurate. And on that topic, it seems that many people forgot the game that gave us the formula in the first place:

Sonic_unleashed_boxart.jpg

Colours just expanded on the house this game built.

TROIS! Sonic CD.

I'd rather explore because I want to as opposed to exploring because I have to in order to 100% the game.

Pretty much this. I like the fact that they encourage exploration in this game, but I like the freedom of doing it as a result of my curiosity. CD put this immense pressure on my shoulders which, although bearable and not too much of a challenge for me to handle, got on my nerves very quickly.

As for the last: Sonic 2. "The best 2D Sonic game, seconded only by Sonic CD." "The 2D Sonic with the most expansive stages, best usage of characters and best gameplay."

For all these things and a pretty good story on top, play Sonic 3 & Knuckles. 

*grabs flame shield* 

Natsu_and_Come_On_Renew.jpg