Awoo.

MacBook vs Laptop

Irish David

Hi Folks, I am currently looking to get a new laptop and have been looking around for a few weeks, but I wanted to gage opinion on whether I should buy a normal run of the mill laptop or spend big with a MacBook, I have a few Apple products but I am not convinced that I should take the plunge with a MacBook or not, so what do you think?

If you can grab some decents specs on a Windows 7 for a good price I'd definitely say go for that as it's a much more all-around casual use computer. But it all comes down to what you're going to use it for - gaming, video editing, image editing etc.

I have a Macbook and it's been pretty reliayeah I can't say it with a strait face. Get a PC dawg.

• Thumbs Up 1

As people have before-mentioned, it really depends on what you want to use it for.

Macs are really good for making presentations, editing videos and photos, easy access programs for getting started on making music ect., and for being pretty convenient (at least, that was my experience).

Microsoft and the likes' laptops however are good for gaming, there's a lot more programs and other things made for compatibility with them, and they're a tad more reliable...unless of course you treat it without the utmost care, then things go down hill real fast.

So in conclusion: Think about what you might be using whatever computer you get for in the near to far future, then make your decision.

Edited by Haden
  • Thumbs Up 1

There aren't that many reasons to take the Mactop plunge in the post-Windows 7 world. It really depends on your needs.

• Thumbs Up 2

Well as many have said before it really depends on what you're planing on doing. If you're going to be doing art projects like digital drawing, music, animation, and the like go with a mac. If you're not trying to do any of those things then you may want to get a pc.

Though I will say that I've been using a Macbook Pro since 2010 and have nothing but praise for it. The only problem I've had with it has been getting it to boot into Windows 7 (bootcamp) to play some games over the last few months but even then both sides work like a charm afterwords. Strangely enough, it's a very capable gaming computer. I switch around from gaming (Windows 7) to art and video editing (Mac OS) quite frequently though. Also, I'm pretty sure the current models don't have a built in disc drive so that may be a huge negative for you. I know that's something I'm going to have to look out for if I end up getting a new computer for college.

It really comes down to what you want to do with it. It's great that we live in a world where there is literally a computer type for anyone. Look around in stores and test some of them out. You might even be a linux person. XD

Macbook Air. You could probably get lucky with a windows based laptop somewhere, but considering that both the regular laptop and ultrabook market are ridiculously oversaturated with gimmicky, overpriced, under specced crap it's a total crapshoot as to whatever you get sucks or rules.

Seriously. buying a laptop right now, especially on the windows side, fucking sucks.

So yeah, macbook air. ridiculous battery life. SSD, compact. Depends what you want it for though.

I have a Macbook and it's been pretty reliayeah I can't say it with a strait face. Get a PC dawg.

Yours is unreliable? mine starting fucking up after 2 years but only after I dropped it down a flight of stairs. 

There aren't that many reasons to take the Mactop plunge in the post-Windows 7 world. It really depends on your needs.

Build quality! A non shitty keyboard and touchpad! 

My sister was looking for a good laptop and we looked at some macbooks - ultimately though we have a wonderful computer store here called Memory Express that has a lot of great prices on computers. She ended up getting an extremely beefy laptop for a lot less than a macbook with specs half of what she ended up getting. So my stance is to find a Windows 7 laptop if you can!

Is this for school or for home?

If for school, I've seen a lot of positive reception toward the Macbook family. There's also a new one coming soon if I'm not mistaken so I would wait on that.

Laptops can be a hit and miss. If you get one, make sure you get it from a reputable company.

Yours is unreliable? mine starting fucking up after 2 years but only after I dropped it down a flight of stairs. 

As far as this damn hard drive failure thing, I'm lucky my warranty covered it the first time. Now I'm afraid to do too much on it because I don't need to make yet another awkward adventure to the apple store.

Also, you dropped it?! WTF brother...

Once again, it depends on a few criterias, for instance what you plan on using it for. I have personally never used a Mac, but I keep hearing good things about it, however you should think about a few things first:

• Compatibility - Windows is by far the most used operating system, whereas by comparison only a tiny percentage of the population uses a Mac. As a result, software compatibility is going to be a problem, depending on your plans of usage. Over time, more applications and games will become available for the Mac, but you will need to double-check that what you need actually is going to work with the system. ~ Windows
  • Stability - Since Macintosh computers are built only by Apple, and they have a limited amount of products, their system can more easily be suited and optimized, unlike Windows, which is developed by Microsoft and then distributed to a huge number of manufacturers, that each have an uncountable number of different computer models, each with their own unique physical setup. Windows needs to be able to run on so many different kind of computers, and one of the side effects can be less optimization and slightly higher instability. ~Mac
  • Price and Performance - One of the reasons why a Mac might seem more powerful is because none of them come cheap, but if you decided to put just as much money into a Windows computer, you might be surprised. There are a lot of cheap Windows computers, and if one keeps going for those, then no wonder a PC is going to feel weak and poor compared to a Mac. Go for something just as expensive, and I am sure you will not be disappointed. There is also the thing regarding support. If something does happen to your computer, friends or family may not have the knowledge to help you, unless it is the widely used Windows system. ~Windows
  • Safety and Design - Macintosh computers seem to have a big focus on quality design. Also, since Mac are so rare when compared to Windows, there will also currently be much less of a digital threat, like viruses, but they do exist (zero viruses on a Mac is a myth, by the way). You can apparently do much less on a Mac than you can on a PC, but at the same time, perhaps that is one reason for less technical problems and a more user-friendly experience? Depends entirely on the individual. ~Mac

As you can see, there are a few key differences that you need to consider when choosing between Microsoft PCs and Apple computers. You could install a Windows operating system on a Mac by using Bootcamp, but would you really want to invest that much money into buying a new, fresh Windows license on top of an expensive Mac computer?

I recommend visiting a regular PC shop and a Mac store, both, and explain your plans and needs to hear what both sides have to say. Best of luck.

• Thumbs Up 2

Thanks for all the tips guys, it will be mainly for personal use, web surfing, documents and a bit of drawing as well, never been a gamer on the PC mainly console based. I am tempted with a MacBook would have to save a wee bit before Christmas but I havent ruled out a laptop either so will keep that in mind over the coming weeks