Awoo.

Lost World Wii U v 3DS sales

castell-neath

Hello,

Just a thought about Sonic Lost World. Considering its a Nintendo Exclusive and the relative Low sales of the Wii U thus far, Could the "portable" 3ds version actually outsell the "console" Wii U version?

If so, wouldn't the 3ds version be the more widley known "version" / played version among the fans?

Again, if so, wouldn't this be a first in the franchise?

It might also explain why Dimps are going all out on a fully 3d version for this game!

What do you think? Will the Wii U version outsell the 3DS version?

Personally I think the 3ds version has every chance!!!

If so, wouldn't the 3ds version be the more widley known "version" / played version among the fans?

Again, if so, wouldn't this be a first in the franchise?

Not if you count the Wii "version" of Sonic Unleashed.

also while 3Ds will proably sell better at first, I see the Wii-u version, that as long as its solid being an evergreen title, as a good launch, bringing more people onto the wii-u, and as more people get wii-us as more games come out(specialy after SSB, and Mario Kart, or even Wii Fit-u) it will continue selling

3DS version will likely sell more, simply because it has a bigger install-base. 30-odd Million verses 2 Million, as of now, or maybe 4 Million by the time it release, assuming the Wii U can double its numbers over the holiday period.

Just from an all around gamer's perspective, I'd have to say the 3DS may get quite a big chunk of the sales, the bigger half anyways. The Nintendo 3DS (around here) can vary from about $160 - $210, depending on what kind you want, and a Wii U is about $330 - $400. Now, I bought a Wii U just to play Lost World, no other real reason. But if I didn't have one, and cared a lot about how much a console would cost, I'd probably have to go with a 3DS, I have both, I'm just saying. It would kinda depend on the price of the console, if you didn't have one. 

3DS version will sell more for certain, perhaps by a huge margain, and fans will like that it's 3D on handheld too.

I'm not sure it's the first time it's happened though, I mean the 3DS version of Generations added quite considerably to Generations' sales. Nintendo handheld Sonics have always sold well, so I doubt it will surprise SEGA or cause their plans to shift or anything.

But yeah the Wii U version outselling the 3DS version is nigh-impossible. Perhaps by the end of the Wii U's life it'll have gained some nice sales-by-momentum due to being the most widely marketed and recommended version, but that'll only happen if it's a strong quality title that has word of mouth recommendation for years to come.

Didn't Colors DS outsell the Wii version?

I know Gens 3DS did wonderfully well. I'm not sure if it outsold the 360 version, it could have.

IIRC the 3DS version of Generations outsold the HD version by quite a bit. 

If the fact it stayed in the 3DS top ten for months whereas the HD version was relegated to bargain bins within weeks of release counts for anything, the 3DS version did much better.

But yeah, I'd say it's pretty obvious that the 3DS version will do better. The install base is much bigger compared to the Wii U, if nothing else. 

Well, I know I bought a 3DS for this, but I'm hardly a reliable representative of the majority of gamers worldwide. tongue.png

Edited by Indigo Rush

Even though I see the Wii U version as the vastly superior version, I have to agree with anyone that says that the 3DS version will do better. Even if SLW on the Wii U manages to help sell more consoles (which is looking likely at this point with the line-up of games this fall/winter), I don't think it will have the chance to sell more copies than the 3DS version, at least not right away.

I'm sure I caught on the news this morning that they were reducing the price of the Wii U already and something about a 2DS being released for the younger gamer.  Nonetheless, I'm sure the 3DS version of Lost World will way outsell the Wii U version.  We'll have the 3DS version at leastwink.png

Cool. Nice to see people's opinions on a "pretty dry" topic!!

I admit I got a 3DS for generations really, and had the added bonus of being able to play all thre sonic DS games I missed out on.

Sonic Rush = superb!!

I want a HD 3d version on that!!!

With predictaed higher sales on the 3ds, I just hope this version is as good as the main one....in its own (limited) way!!

Eh... I kind of disagree with all of you. (I'm new, hi!)

Yeah, sure, the 3ds sales are great compared to those of the Wii U. But let's bring here three important factors:

1. There's a lot of games in this years' line-up for 3ds. There's Pokemon X and Pokemon Y, The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds, and then there's Mario Party: Island Tour. People who know about Lost World, know that the 3ds version is a slightly watered-down version of the original. They'll obviously prefer all those first party games in comparison to Sonic Lost World for the 3ds.

2.Wii U owners exist. Sales of a console don't entirely justify sales of a game, only partially. Let's take the Gamecube as an example: the dang thing sold poorly, but Super Smash Bros. Melee got some pretty awesome sales. Not only do 4 million people have a Wii U... most of them are starving in games. A huge part of the Mario fanbase (which is giganting) is digging Sonic Lost World due to the similar presentation, and a big amount of them are disappointed because the new Mario 3d World is not a Galaxy game. If you notice in youtube comments, there are tons of people saying "This will be my first sonic game since Heroes/Adventure/Adventure 2/ ever" because the style, although is controversial here, is truly enjoyed by a lot of people, aiming at a bigger demographic than previous Sonic games. The point? Sonic is a big name, and the Wii U version has no competence in the way unlike the 3ds version. It's presentation also appeals to the classic Nintendo fans who loves Mario/Kirby/Yoshi games, even if it is actually more inspired on the original Sonic games.

3. The pricing. Sonic Lost World has the regular price for any 3ds game on the handheld version ($39,95). The Wii U version, which is $49,99 , is cheaper compared to other Wii U games (which cost $60). The Wii U version is also in HD.

Put me down for Wii U. I'm adamantly opposed to handhelds.

The 3DS version probably will do better at first but I can see the Wii U one gaining traction; the Wii U's primarily sold poorly because it was the highest priced and also didn't have much of a library. With the new systems coming out, the Wii U is once more the budget choice for a new console, and their array of titles is expanding. I'm optimistic about the Wii U version, accordingly.

Plus it looked like the preorder bonus was only for the Wii U version so... that's one incentive now isn't it?

Edited by Eciruam Eivligo

The handheld version will sell more to statr with due to the Wii U's poor sales, but the console version will come out on top in the following n=months as the Wii U's sales pick up

I suspect the 3DS will be more popular by a huge margin, but of course because of the graphics the WiiU version will be preferred.

Guess what guys... Rayman Legends sold better on Wii U than on PS3 and Xbox 360, and we all know PS3 and Xbox 360 are consoles that are own by a LOT of people. Looks like a version of the game sells better if it is the most advertised version with the most advertised features.

Guess what guys... Rayman Legends sold better on Wii U than on PS3 and Xbox 360, and we all know PS3 and Xbox 360 are consoles that are own by a LOT of people. Looks like a version of the game sells better if it is the most advertised version with the most advertised features.

That's not true for Sonic, mang. IIRC, Generations 3DS outsold the HD version and it was hardly advertised. More people own a 3DS than a Wii U at the moment, so I'd imagine that the 3DS version would outsell the Wii U version by a wide margin.

^Don't forget one important fact: For some reason, in terms of sales, Sonic is not relevant for a big amount of PS3 / 360 owners.  I'm not trying to generalize but, you know, most of them prefer games like Skyrim, GTA or Call of Duty.  That's why Generations didn't sell well in both consoles. Also, the 3ds port being sold better has the same motivation that my theory about lost world: In 2011, 3DS had almost no games, 3ds owners wanted some games, and Sonic Generations had no competence on that console, so it sold better.When you think about platforming and family friendly games Nintendo can easily come to your mind. That's why Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing Transformed sold better on Wii U than the other consoles. And yes, even the Wii U version sold better than the 3ds version. Silly, huh?

Keep taking in mind that the 3ds version of Lost World will have too much competence, and it will be enough to make the portable version have less sales. Pokemon and Zelda are two biggies compared to... well, portable Sonic. Sonic will do great on the Wii U.

Edited by Sergiomonty