Awoo.

Sonic Lost World in PAX Prime 2013

Zavok the SpinningSilver

I can't really take a complaint seriously when it basically boils down to "I didn't try to engage with the game in any way; I just wanted fast to happen".

It's a shame we're seeing people not wanting to adjust to change. People are used to holding forward and boost and now they actually need to interact with the level and have more input than before. Sure it plays differently than the Sonic games we're used to playing, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's bad per-say. People just need to get used to the new style and adapt to it.

I don't think that is possible with the limited amount of time you get to play with a Gamescon/PAX/E3 demo. If you're expecting something like Sonic Generations, don't. It's going to play completely different. The Sonic mechanics are there, but they've been adapted to the new Lost World system. It might be a little confusing at first, but that's expected with a brand new game.

I'm sure if people were able to try this at home say some sort of replayable demo, then people could easily formulate their opinions on it. Sure you'll get new mechanics thrown at your face, but by playing it several times you will grow a feel for it. Players will get used to them and after a couple tries, it will become second nature.

• Thumbs Up 6

Yes, but like the user above just said, we still cannot overlook even the positive one's. So i don't believe negative reviews are more important than positive reviews (heck even positive reviews aren't allergic to criticism either), both can go hand to hand. 

Of course the positive previews matter. I just don't feel they are as crucial to further improvement than those that offer constructive criticism. Funnily enough, a lot of previews have both, so it doesn't really matter.

Sonic Team wants Sonic to evolve, so let it. Sonic fans need to accept that Sonic is evolving too.

I guess his game doesn't count because for Sonic to evolve it needs to have more polygons/details and nothing else... :/

I mean we have...for the past 10 years been doing nothing, but complaining about hallways and now we finally start seeing a game that adhere to these issues, but it seems that people don't want anything sacrificed in order to achieve what they want. 

If anything I give it up to Sonic Team changing whether i dislike it or not, because quite frankly they could have gone the easy route and made Generations 2/3/4/5/6/1000 for the next decade or so. They are one of the only companies that won't ride on a certain formula and are willing to try new things...when almost every other developer have been doing the same shit for the past decade.

Edit: Consistency should apply to quality not just gameplay. As long as they are releasing quality titles Sonic Team is good in my book no matter what they do. I much rather them do something I dislike and still deliver than for them to stagnate...since perhaps that game I dislike might evolve into something I will in the future.

Edited by Voyant
  • Thumbs Up 1

To be fair guys, the only complaints that Hogfather has about the game are Sonic's speed and the Wisp activation, it's not like he hates the game, its just not his cup of tea. Sonic Team will see the complaints about Sonic's speed and they will fix that, same goes for the Wisps. Sonic's speed looks okay, but I hope they make him a bit faster in the next game. I don't mind the run button, but still.

Also I had a very interesting thought: What if there's a level up system like Unleashed? And.....collecting animals...gets you XP....oh my god, I think I could be onto something here!

Perhaps if you rescue animals, it will allow you to level up Sonic's speed and other abilities. 

I feel like people are trying to find some excuse to get annoyed at people for not liking the game. Yes, there are stupid complaints, but there are plenty of valid complaints towards the game beyond BAWW GOTTA GO FAST or BAWW GRAPHICS

I haven't played the game, but by looking at it, it really doesn't look like a Sonic game at all. Does that mean it's a bad game? No. But even if it is a good game, it's not a good Sonic game. I'll still pick it up, I'll still probabl enjoy it, but I just really hope this is the only game like this.

• Thumbs Up 1

To be fair guys, the only complaints that Hogfather has about the game are Sonic's speed and the Wisp activation, it's not like he hates the game, its just not his cup of tea. Sonic Team will see the complaints about Sonic's speed and they will fix that, same goes for the Wisps. Sonic's speed looks okay, but I hope they make him a bit faster in the next game. I don't mind the run button, but still.

Also I had a very interesting thought: What if there's a level up system like Unleashed? And.....collecting animals...gets you XP....oh my god, I think I could be onto something here!

Perhaps if you rescue animals, it will allow you to level up Sonic's speed and other abilities. 

I somehow doubt this theory, can't really see them doing the level system again in this of all games. If anything I expect the animal's to unlock the standard Sonic stuff. Concept art, soundtest, cutscenes, maybe even a behind the scenes making of video.

Edit: Wow this threads off to a promising start :/

Edited by Balding Spider

I haven't played the game, but by looking at it, it really doesn't look like a Sonic game at all.

Why not?
  • Thumbs Up 2

I feel like people are trying to find some excuse to get annoyed at people for not liking the game. Yes, there are stupid complaints, but there are plenty of valid complaints towards the game beyond BAWW GOTTA GO FAST or BAWW GRAPHICS

Then why is it that baw graphics and baw speed are mostly the complaints I'm seeing?

Edited by Voyant
  • Thumbs Up 1

Why not?

Because tubes and artificial gravity? What looks and/or feels like a Sonic game is subjective. To some Shadow the hedgehog feels like a Sonic game.

Because tubes and artificial gravity? What looks and/or feels like a Sonic game is subjective. To some Shadow the hedgehog feels like a Sonic game.

Well I guess levels like Final Chase and Crazy Gadget in SA2 aren't Sonic levels then. (I'm joking ;p)

Edited by Voyant

Because tubes and artificial gravity?

Sonic's dealt with curved surfaces and changing gravity since the genesis games. Not in exactly this way, obviously, but it's nothing that's completely alien to the series.

What looks and/or feels like a Sonic game is subjective.

So are we supposed to not discuss things?
  • Thumbs Up 4

Well I guess levels like Final Chase and Crazy Gadget in SA2 aren't Sonic levels then. (I'm joking ;p)

Dude what I was getting at is that it looks li- *sees edit*

oh-you-93067263235.jpeg

• Thumbs Up 1

I feel like people are trying to find some excuse to get annoyed at people for not liking the game. 

While this can happen a lot, i doubt that's the particular case here.

• Thumbs Up 2

So are we supposed to not discuss things?

Uh this isn't what I meant...

Also has the list of how the Wisps function via the gamepad been posted yet?

Edit: Nevermind I'll just post it in the other thread.

Edited by Balding Spider

Then why is it that baw graphics and baw speed are mostly the complaints I'm seeing?

I can't speak for everyone, but I know that graphics and speed aren't the only thing I'm complaining about. Sure the graphics....well; more how the visuals feel, is a concern I've frequently brought up. Its not like it isn't a valid complaint. Just how one could and frequently used to argue about the virtues of Unleashed > Generations visuals and artistic direction over the likes of Shadow and 06, I see no problems with discussing them now. Just cause a lot more people like the new style, doesn't mean its no longer acceptable to see anything wrong with it and be vocal about your own personal preferences. I know that I personally don't condemn anyone for liking the way LW looks, because I can see its appeal.

And aside from that, I've made my concerns about the gameplay, and the way Sonic moves plenty clear. Though I haven't actually played the game, which I admit, is something I should do before going into detail about it, the fact that there are other people who have, after playing the game, voiced similar complaints doesn't really alleviate my concerns.

EDIT:

e

And outside those complaints, I've actually complimented the little snippets of the story revealed so far. More than I thought I would. I really like the the way the dialogue is shaping up. I hope the writers continue to be as ballsy as this with the vocabulary they're using (without resorting to childish profanities). Its one of the most appealing things about the game actually in my eyes.

Edited by Scar
  • Thumbs Up 1

I can't speak for everyone, but I know that graphics and speed aren't the only thing I'm complaining about. Sure the graphics....well; more how the visuals feel, is a concern I've frequently brought up. Its not like it isn't a valid complaint. Just how one could and frequently used to argue about the virtues of Unleashed > Generations visuals and artistic direction over the likes of Shadow and 06, I see no problems with discussing them now. Just cause a lot more people like the new style, doesn't mean its no longer acceptable to see anything wrong with it and be vocal about your own personal preferences. I know that I personally don't condemn anyone for liking the way LW looks, because I can see its appeal.

And aside from that, I've made my concerns about the gameplay, and the way Sonic moves plenty clear. Though I haven't actually played the game, which I admit, is something I should do before going into detail about it, the fact that there are other people who have, after playing the game, voiced similar complaints doesn't really alleviate my concerns.

EDIT:

And outside those complaints, I've actually complimented the little snippets of the story revealed so far. More than I thought I would. I really like the the way the dialogue is shaping up. I hope the writers continue to be as ballsy as this with the vocabulary they're using (without resorting to childish profanities). Its one of the most appealing things about the game actually in my eyes.

Personally, while I'm not trying to discredit folks, I feel that having like what...6 to 8 minutes playing a game with a brand new engine is not enough time to learn anything in terms of how the controls work. This going back to my prior argument about adjusting to gameplay. We have been playing Unleashed style games since 2008 of course we are going to be a tad miffed playing Lost World for the first time. Going from Adventure style to Unleashed was jarring as well and people have well more than enough adjusted to it.

Until the game comes out and people have sunk some time into it is when I think control issues should be taken more seriously or of they released a public demo of some sort. Again a wait and see mindset is far more logical of an outlook than coming up with definitive points. In fact I think most people get that...so instead what we hear is Baw Graphics Baw Speed.

Edited by Voyant

Personally, while I'm not trying to discredit folks, I feel that having like what...6 to 8 minutes playing a game with a brand new engine is not enough time to learn anything in terms of how the controls work. This going back to my prior argument about adjusting to gameplay. We have been playing Unleashed style games since 2008 of course we are going to be a tad miffed playing Lost World for the first time. Going from Adventure style to Unleashed was jarring as well and people have well more than enough adjusted to it.

Until the game comes out and people have sunk some time into it is when I think control issues should be taken more seriously or of they released a public demo of some sort. Again a wait and see mindset is far more logical of an outlook than coming up with definitive points. In fact I think most people get that...so instead what we hear is Baw Graphics Baw Speed.

Well then what the fuck is the point of posting impressions you got from playing the game if your opinion doesn't count because you didn't play it enough. Their opinions are infinitely more valid because they'e actually played the game

• Thumbs Up 1

Their opinions are infinitely more valid because they'e actually played the game

And I feel they need to have a bit more time playing before any opinions are solidified. I'm just speaking for myself. If it sounds dickish then I apologize, but its how I feel on the matter.

No doubt they would probably get better with time yes, but every game to an extent has to have a certain amount of "pick up and play" ness to it. No one wants to have to play the game for hours in order to grasp the basics, I'd expect to have grasped those within the first level/10 minutes tops. If people can't get a hang of a game on a basic level by then they are less likely to be impressed or willing to buy it. Of course we aren't talking the extensive advanced moves or speed run tactics, I mean the basic moves like the parkour, spindahs, double jump and kick ect.

I work in retail and one warning/principle our manager tells us is "if the customer doesn't seem interested in 10 minutes of the sale, generally they will not buy". Ours is quite a personal service and will see the customer through the entire sale ourselves (rather than switching between staff members) so it's a similar principle.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm sceptical based on what I've seen so far, while others are really positive; almost enamored, based on what they've seen so far.

You're saying we should wait for when people have had more than just a demo's worth of play time. That's fair enough. But then why is it only acceptable to be positive? Why are the people who are skeptical, or even outright negative about the game, getting railed on?

From your perspective it looks like "BAWWWW GRAPHIX, BAWWWW SPEED", but from mine or maybe even others' perspective, its a bunch of people gawking endlessly at the game, spitting fire at those who are critical.

• Thumbs Up 3

Hey guys it's time for another Lost World impression. And it's a bit of long one.

Sonic Lost Worlds for both WII-U and 3DS are playable at PAX right now, the 3DS version including 5 levels, and the Wii-U one with four levels. Any and all press ions are welcome, I think many come both curious, yet maybe weary to the franchise, and different impressions from those who played it may help give people a better perspective of the game, which is less than two months away from launch.

I played one level in both versions of the game. The WiiU Game ran at a smooth 60 FPS with no drops I noticed, while the 3DS game ran at 30 FPS with no noticeable drops. For those who don't know, the WiiU and 3DS versions of the game both have completely different levels.

I felt both controlled more confidentially than any other previous 3D Sonic game, but with a learning curve. I admit I first felt Sonic felt a bit janky. You choose between his running speed between walking, holding down the right trigger to run, and charging up and releasing a spin dash. However, slow Sonic barely gets anywhere when jumpimg (even when double jumping, which returns from Colors), and fast Sonic at first seems a bit slippery. However, it's easy to come to grips with it after a few levels, and getting how to move around in the game feels great. Sonic also has the ability to kick and do a bounce attack now, which helps adds to an improved and increased enemy element in the game.

In most Sonic games, enemies almost feel like canon fodder.to me, but not so in Lost Worlds. There is the badnik that goes down in one hit or are there for homing attack chains, but there are also tougher enemies, enemies that take multiple hits, enemies that can't be homing attacked, enemies with specific weak points, and some even almost mini-boss type enemies... And there seems to be a large amount of them. Everything from the penguin robot from Sonic 3 to these giant worms (that appear to be alien rather than robot) that shoot out purple gunk.

There's also a parkour system, but I'm still fully figuring it out. You use it automatically when running, it allows you to dash up a wall a few meters and climb or run across things.there seems to be se more skill to it that I haven't figured out yet as I wasn't able to reach certain shortcuts you're supposed to use parkour to reach I just couldn't. There is no great saving grace and relieving moment though for
You to barely miss a jump, only for Sonic to automatically run up the side of the platform and grab the ledge. This parkour system also seems to have attributed to more vertical stages in places.

In videos I thought the tube stages might be nauseating, but they're surprisingly natural feeling. I think being able to control your speed helps this.

I first played the 3DS version, and went straight for a stage I didn't recognize from the 3DS version, Frozen Factory. Sonic starts off on a snowboard, and commences to jump over snow piles and logs, go off ramps and do tricks for points, and you can lower and increase your speed, with lower speeds being good for going around the tune stage design to collect items, but faster speeds being able to ram and automatically kill enemies without taking damage (signified by speed lines around Aonic). Ultimately Sonic ditched the board in favor of going on foot and opened up to big open snow fields full of motobuga.When Sonic is locked onto multiple enemies, we will automatically chain homing attack all targeted and them get an extra bit of air time to lock onto the next group of enemies and latch onto them next if any nearby. Pulling this off in areas with more enemies rewards increasing score multipliers from what I could tell. I also found a wisp, known as Ivory Lightning, which took me a while to notice gets added to the touch screen. Wisps were in Somic Colors, and return here, but instead of using them automatically, in Lost Worlds (both in the WiiU and 3DS versions). They go into an inventory for you to use anytime in that stage (I ended up figuring this out fighting a miniboss type monster that looked like the giant worm enemy from Sonic the Movie... Yes, I saw that when I was a kid, and was kind of surprised they used it in the game as I don't actually think it was ever in any of the games... Who couldn't be homing attacked or bounced, and I ended up defeating him using the Ivory Lightning power).

The stage had a lot of paths but also more endless pits thn I have seen in other stages, and had a fairly fun mechanic involving giant freezing machines and giant snowballs, using giant snowballs that got bigger as your rolled it to block-up freezers or roll down things. Also there were capsules that you could open in the stage for shortcuts, lives, or other goodies by collecting the Flickies enemies dropped and leading them to the capsules to unlock Sonic 3D Blast style. The stage also had these giant turning gears that spun around the slopes, some of which had items in their hollow cores.

The stage ended with another snowboard section, though this one a lot more extreme and dangerous. It brought in the giant gears you could jump through for items, trickier enies, trees to run into, but it was actually quite fun and felt fair as opposed to cheap (which some Sonic games with high speed sections like this before have felt). Only other thing I can note about the stage was that the music was fantastic. It was catchy, but also gentle and beautiful.

Also observed someone play another 3DS stage in Desert Ruin involving around these giant worm enemies and the black hole power. I think those interested in the 3DS game will be pleased to hear it controls well and I felt was fun and well-designed.

I played the Casino stage on the WiiU version. I had seen someone play this stage previously, but playing it made me note several things. In this stage, you can beat it quickly and like any other stage, but there's also a mechanic involving collecting silver coins to put into these "insert coin" holes which, if you have enough, will take you to a pinball table to play pinball. However, as if expecting my evil scheme to go slowly and collect coins at leisure, there's these giant purple dice around the level that will start spinning around crazily if you go slow next to them, and relentlessly chase you. They're easy enoigh to outrun, but it made getting coins trickier, and could get chaotic if you got a couple of dice on your tail. The stage also had these neon blue lasers that are stationary and seem fine on their own, but when near bumpers, could be a problem If they propelled you right into them.

The ranking system was tricky from what I could tell. Lowest ranking I saw gotten was a D, highest was a B. They were giving Sonic merch to anybody who could get a B rank or above on any stage. Rank is decided by score, which is effected by time, rings, Flickies collected, stage score, and deaths.

Overall I was left fairly impressed. While the game is obviously inspired semi by Mario Galaxy, it didn't actually feel much like it. The game I was most reminded of was Sonic Colors (stage design style, environments, Wisps, etc.) but if I can be honest from the bit I played I think it'll be a much better game than Colors. If you have any questions, feel free to ask, I may give some other stages a whirl tomorrow.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=666481

Edited by Balding Spider
  • Thumbs Up 6

I was kind of distracted by his grammar, but an interesting read.

I was expecting some kind of news at PAX, but I guess it was so close to Gamescon that they didn't feel the need to bother. Oh well, at least we're getting more impressions, and hopefully some footage by the end of it

Damn I was just about to post that. I think that fellow is also an SSMB member too.

He's also answered a few questions in the topic that people had so it's definatley worth it to read the full thing.