Awoo.

Mighty No.9 - New Inafune title!

Meow

Nobody who is supporting this doesn't want another Mega Man game.

I wouldn't underestimate the bitterness and anger of some fans. The hate towards Capcom is pretty strong right now.

I get the nagging feeling though that support for Inafune is going to be what seals Megaman's fate. I know many fans are not going to care if "Crapcom" were to release another Megaman game when they have Inafune making the "real Megaman."  And it's highly likely Inafune himself believes Megaman should fade out so that he'll have 100% support for his creation, if the fact that the character designs look so much like the Megaman designs is anything to go by.

Basically what Sean said; everyone supporting this wants to see new Mega Man games.

And Inafune doesn't want Mega Man to fade out-- I still don't know how you're reaching some of these conclusions. If Inafune still had the rights, this would've been a Mega Man game. He doesn't need the series to disappear in order to have support for his new creation, because Mega Man is the entire reason he's got all this support in the first place. He wants to see the series do well, and was even really excited to see Rock get announced for Smash Bros.

Keiji Inafune has told VideoGamer.com that he is 'ecstatic' that Mega Man has worked his way into the Super Smash Bros. roster.

Inafune also said he looked forward to "playing and beating my kids with Mega Man in Smash Bros."

Given how Capcom and the developer parted ways there was some who questioned how Inafune would respond. Turns out there was nothing to worry about...

Edited by Solly
  • Thumbs Up 3

Basically what Sean said; everyone supporting this wants to see new Mega Man games.

And Inafune doesn't want Mega Man to fade out-- I still don't know how you're reaching some of these conclusions. If Inafune still had the rights, this would've been a Mega Man game. He doesn't need the series to disappear in order to have support for his new creation, because Mega Man is the entire reason he's got all this support in the first place. He wants to see the series do well, and was even really excited to see Rock get announced for Smash Bros.

I get that impression given that the story and character design are "shamelessly" very similar to Megaman. It feels more like Mighty No. 9 was intended to "replace" Megaman rather than live side-by-side with it. All the "passing the torch" fanart that has come out hasn't reassured me that this isn't the case.

To give Yong some leeway, I think it's possible that a lot of these backers are doing this to spite Capcom and not because they actually want the game.

I mean, did you see the reaction images and "lolcrapcom" posts when it reached it's minimum goal?

Edited by Solkia
  • Thumbs Up 1

To give Yong some leeway, I think it's possible that a lot of these backers are doing this to spite Capcom and not because they actually want the game.

I mean, did you see the reaction images and "lolcrapcom" posts when it reached it's minimum goal?

Who cares tho

The immature few are still furthering a cause that can only have positive results for anyone who's ever like MegaMan. The small negatives are negligible in the grand scale of things.

• Thumbs Up 1

I know, I'm just pointing out that we shouldn't assume every backer is actually excited for the game :V

I think we can assume that the grand majority are unlike some pretentious indie game Kickstarters that get huge fundings for really abstract concepts, and even those who aren't excited are still sending a strong message to Capcom in an effective way.

• Thumbs Up 1

I get that impression given that the story and character design are "shamelessly" very similar to Megaman. It feels more like Mighty No. 9 was intended to "replace" Megaman rather than live side-by-side with it. All the "passing the torch" fanart that has come out hasn't reassured me that this isn't the case.

Well, they are replacing Mega Man as a series Inafune works on, since he can't work on Mega Man anymore, and both it and Mighty No 9 are pet projects to him, but that doesn't mean Mega Man is or can be replaced in the hearts and minds of fans- or Inafune for that matter. It's just that this is the closest thing we're gonna get from the creator, and the uncertain state of the franchise has left people wanting more games- and look, here's one!

The fanart you're talking about is just a bit pessimistic, but at the end of the day, this series won't have any negative impact on the MM franchise. It's not like Capcom's gonna say "oh man, that spiritual successor to Mega Man is getting a ton of money and support. Better not make any more games, ever."

I agree that a handful of people probably are like that, but if they don't care about the game but are still bitter toward Capcom, doesn't that also tell us that these people want Mega Man more than MIghty No. 9 and therefore don't accept it as a wholesale replacement?

Also what SuperLink said.

So, slightly off-topic, but I have a conundrum for you. A portion of the dissent against this game comes from insistence that Inafune's previous position as head of Capcom's R&D makes him responsible for DmC, among other things, and that they can't trust him for it. Here's a post later down the line of an argument started for this:

... he was head of R&D from at least 2007 to the time he left. That is LITERALLY an executive position. It is - or was -in his job description.

http://spong.com/feature/10109620/Interview-Head-of-Capcom-R-D-Keiji-Inafuneexternal_link.gif

from an interview after he was promoted:

Keiji Inafune: Well, I’m overseeing production on those titles, as well as all Capcom’s other titles, so I can only really answer general questions on those titles.

This is his own words. His own admission that, as part of his position, he oversaw all of Capcom's titles.

Don't believe that one? How about this:

http://www.vg247.com/2010/04/23/keiji-inafune-named-capcoms-global-head-of-production/external_link.gif - from 2010, when he was given even MORE oversight.

http://www.1up.com/do/feature?pager.offset=7&cId=3169938external_link.gif - "This industry veteran [Keiji Inafune] oversees all of Capcom's development these days (he's the head of R&D)..."

http://www.siliconera.com/2013/02/12/capcom-senior-vp-gives-insight-into-east-vs-west-decisions/external_link.gif - and lastly, testimony from Capcom's former Senior VP that "DmC: Devil May Cry", "Bionic Commando", and "Lost Planet 3" were part of Inafune's initiative.

''“Both [DmC Devil May Cry and Lost Planet 3], and some of the prior (like Bionic Commando) were driven by [Keiji] Inafune… now departed, ” Svensson shared with forum users, in reply to a query regarding western collaborations and catering to a western market. (Note: Inafune publicly parted ways with Capcom in 2010.)

Svensson continues: “You’d have to ask him but as I recall, the logic was something along the lines of ‘doing the same thing is going to get us the same results (if we’re lucky). Let’s try something from a different perspective.’ In some cases, a Western one.”''

And, as I've proven, he retains a professional relationship with Team Ninja. What more do you want me to say to prove this is a fact?

Thoughts?

To be honest, when Inafune became the head of R&D, Capcom was thriving for a short while, he said that Capcom was in a bad place when he started at R&D and he wanted to turn it around.

So.. why do we think he left Capcom at all? What was happening to MegaMan and other franchises he watched over, doubtlessly. He sounded very stressed and fed up with how some things were done when he left, and Capcom haven't seemed to want to touch his properties since.

One person isn't responsible for every game that comes out of a company, even if they oversee everything. DmC and LP3 were both outsourced, I think this is the new Capcom that Inafune hated and that made him ultimately leave the company.

And this is another reason I don't like Inafune. He always goes "LEL WESTERN DEVS ARE SOOOOOOOOOOO MUCH BETTER THAN US LETS HIRE THEM TO MAKE OUR GAMES" and yet those games end up being mediocre or bad.

Who cares tho

The immature few are still furthering a cause that can only have positive results for anyone who's ever like MegaMan. The small negatives are negligible in the grand scale of things.

That's assuming Capcom doesn't see this campaign as a deterent to giving the go on a new Megaman project. With direct competition now being taken into consideration, it may now be deemed more risky to go forward with a new Megaman game when there's a handful of the community who will now only blindly support Inafune. As people have pointed out, it's money already lost that Capcom will never get, so why bother trying?

It's probably just worrying too much on my part. Current game publisher logic would have them trying to appeal to another game's large auidence, regardless of the blind supporters. So it's more likely Capcom will view this in a positive light.

Edited by Yong

He was promoted to a position he didn't want iirc. You can't blame him for fucking up games he wasn't interested in to begin with.

Let me ask you this; do you think Inafune would be so determined to make an expensive MegaMan re-imagining if he thought Capcom could or would do it justice themselves? The fact that he really feels a need to makes me think he doesn't have faith that Capcom will take good care of his series.

He left because he was losing faith in Capcom, if you ask me.

That's assuming Capcom doesn't see this campaign as a deterent to giving the go on a new Megaman project. With direct competition now being taken into consideration, it may now be deemed more risky to go forward with a new Megaman game when there's a handful of the community who will now only blindly support Inafune. As people have pointed out, it's money already lost that Capcom will never get, so why bother trying?

It's probably just worrying too much on my part. Current game publisher logic would have them trying to appeal to another game's large auidence, regardless of the blind supporters. So it's more likely Capcom will view this in a positive light.

That's always possible given how ridiculously backwards Capcom's logic usually is, they ask for demand then ignore it when it's there. Maybe thinking an indie game would be so successful that it'd ruin their mainstream influence and marketing capabilities forever isn't something I'd put past them either.

I like to think that it'll send Capcom a message that no matter how much they want to deny it people really fucking want new MegaMan games.

By the way, apparently leaving Capcom is one of his failures.

TMMN: What would you say was the greatest triumph and the greatest disappointment of your career?

KI: The thing that I am most proud of, my biggest triumph, would be when I first became head of R&D at Capcom. Capcom was not in a good place, and I was able to come up with some good ideas and some good games, basically make some key changes in the company to turn it around. Turning around a company, a publisher of that size, making it go from down to up is a major deal, so I’m very proud I was able to do that.

As far as areas in which I have failed, I’ve got tons of failures under my belt, no doubt about it. The one that is probably the biggest would have to be when I left Capcom. That last day, leaving the company– there were a lot of memories, feelings that came with it. It wasn’t of course, 100% according to plan, but having it end was probably something that did not happen the way I wanted it to, and that will be something that stays with me.

http://www.themmnetwork.com/2013/09/01/the-mega-man-networks-interview-with-keiji-inafune/ Edited by PSI Wind

By the way, apparently leaving Capcom is one of his failures.

http://www.themmnetwork.com/2013/09/01/the-mega-man-networks-interview-with-keiji-inafune/

I also think this is because he left the company in a dire state and it's fallen so far since he left, he probably feels partially responsible for not having the patience to see it through and make Capcom shine again.

It's pretty sad, if you ask me.

• Thumbs Up 3

Let me ask you this; do you think Inafune would be so determined to make an expensive MegaMan re-imagining if he thought Capcom could or would do it justice themselves? The fact that he really feels a need to makes me think he doesn't have faith that Capcom will take good care of his series.

He left because he was losing faith in Capcom, if you ask me.

The facts do seem to point to Inafune not trusting Capcom to handle the Megaman franchise well. The mishandling of the canceled Megaman games was the focal point of his resignation. This realization isn't claiming my fears that Inafune intended his project to replace the former.

Perhaps if Inafune never has a chance to work on MegaMan again, he has to move on, because he had many ideas for the series he couldn't use yet and he's not able to cling to the possibility that maybe Capcom will maybe let him work on his baby again someday.

To Inafune, this is the successor of his life's work, because it's literally impossible for him to work on his life's work anymore. It is perhaps Inafune's intention that Mighty No. 9 replaces MegaMan as the focal point of his work as a game designer

To everyone else though, no matter Mighty No. 9's intention, it doesn't really affect MegaMan's future in any negative way, regardless of whether it's "intended" to "replace" MegaMan or not, that's up to Capcom and Capcom won't be dissuaded to continue MegaMan development by an indie game of all things, not unless they had already practically given up on him themselves.