Awoo.

Mighty No.9 - New Inafune title!

Meow

How is it a ripoff when there's clearly original ideas here too, like the transformations and obtaining attacks from regular enemies...?!?

And also, who gives a fuck how original it is? It's clearly the MegaMan game Capcom refuses to give us, so who gives a fuck how if it's original or not? This is a spiritual Mega Man successor for Mega Man fans, it's not meant to be that original, and even so, like I said, it still has original elements.

So yeah.

What this guy said.

Well, except with my all-important added reasoning of "fuck Capcom".

As much as I want a new Megaman game, I refuse to be happy about this. I'm all for Inafune doing an ORIGINAL idea, but to straight up rip off the series he has no rights to anymore is just lazy and and criminal, regardless of whether Capcom's actually doing anything with the series right now or not. Doing this is also just proof that he doesn't have any of his own worthwhile ideas. If he's actually worth a damn anymore as a game designer he wouldn't have to resort to this. I said the same thing about Ken Penders with the whole situation with the Archie Sonic comic. Won't be long before Capcom at least attempts to get the project pulled for copyright infringement.

I would agree with you if Capcom hadn't been shitting on Megaman for so long. It puts this in a completely different perspective. 

To be fair transforming in to bosses was introduced in ZX/Advent and stealing attacks from enemies was the key ability of Zero 4.

But he's not transforming into the bosses themselves, just various forms representing their weapons. 

• Thumbs Up 1

How is it a ripoff when there's clearly original ideas here too, like the transformations and obtaining attacks from regular enemies...?!?

And also, who gives a fuck how original it is? It's clearly the MegaMan game Capcom refuses to give us, so who gives a fuck how if it's original or not? This is a spiritual Mega Man successor for Mega Man fans, it's not meant to be that original, and even so, like I said, it still has original elements.

So yeah.

So someone steals my cupcake recipe but it's okay cause they put sprinkles on it? Everyone loves cupcakes so who gives a damn how I feel, right?

Megaman isn't a series I feel needs a "spiritual successor", not yet at the very least. It's only been 3 years since 10 came out.

So someone steals my cupcake recipe but it's okay cause they put sprinkles on it? Everyone loves cupcakes so who gives a damn how I feel, right?

It's more akin to loosing the cupcake recipe you originally created and watching someone else do nothing but wipe their ass with it. 

• Thumbs Up 5

Megaman isn't a series I feel needs a "spiritual successor", not yet at the very least. It's only been 3 years since 10 came out.

And we've gotten quite a few iOS crap games since then (FUCK YOU ROCKMAN XOVER), and quite a few canceled games as well. 

And if this context if you (the owner of the cupcake recipe i.e. Capcom) didn't give a shit about making the cupcakes anymore and/or made them really badly, then yes someone should steal your recipe and make it much better then you ever could in recent years. 

And Capcom has done jack shit with the franchise since then and cancelled several promising projects. I'd rather have the series live on through a "knock off" spiritual successor than die.

• Thumbs Up 6

Yes it's been only 3 years, but it has been pretty clear that Capcom is trying to outright murder the franchise, all those games cancelled, the ''Great 25th Anniversary Game'' being a Flash game and a fangame. Lets face it, on Capcom's hand, Megaman is dead, there's a reason why everyone was going mad when Megaman showed up on Smash Bros U, because that might be the last of him we'll see on the consoles. And whatever game they might be working at right now, would be either cancelled or a complete attempt to cashcow the series, considering what Capcom did when Inafune was busy trying to make the Zero Franchise(They resurrected the X series for the sake of making more money out of it, and ruined the ending of it, to the point where various plot points of the Zero series had to be thrown away for the sake of Retcon.).

Edited by Ratcicle King

Ok, wanna spread the word about this on the miiverse, both for gamers and to get nintendos atention, where should I do this? dont mess around on miiverse much

The game's theme song.

OMG SO AWESOME YES

But we don't know if it's the theme song though. That's just the sample song on the kickstarter page. 

EDIT: Apparently it is the main theme. Derp on my part, my bad. 

Edited by Chaos Warp

So I'm finally reading through the kickstarter page and... the Duo team is named Beck and Call. LOL.

Anyway they're treating this like its Legends 3. All this fan imput from polls on character designs, to difficulty. It really is the Legends 3 hype train all over again.

*sob* They care what I think guys, they care.

Edited by Balding Spider

And Capcom has done jack shit with the franchise since then and cancelled several promising projects. I'd rather have the series live on through a "knock off" spiritual successor than die.
That's not true we got a bunch of remixed CDs A comic crossover with sonic(it was capcoms idea) Street fighter x mega man- before you say it's a fan game that capcom approved of remember sonic cd(2011) and the sonic 1 iOS is made by fan hackers

And if this context if you (the owner of the cupcake recipe i.e. Capcom) didn't give a shit about making the cupcakes anymore and/or made them really badly, then yes someone should steal your recipe and make it much better then you ever could in recent years. 

...this discussion is now reminding me of the "Soup Nazi" episode of Seinfeld.

Seriously though.

It's only been 3 years since 10 came out.

That's sorta true, but consider the fact there's been a few cancellations and nothing announced (that's stuck (other than stuff like Xover)) in those three years and you can see people's frustrations with Capcom. Not to mention 9 & 10, while neat from what I've heard, are...kind of underwhelming in the long run, at least IMO. I'd rather see a new Mega Man series or a new X or something than yet another 8-bit installment. Then again I've never been that interested in Classic Mega Man...

That's not true we got a bunch of remixed CDs A comic crossover with sonic(it was capcoms idea) Street fighter x mega man- before you say it's a fan game that capcom approved of remember sonic cd(2011) and the sonic 1 iOS is made by fan hackers

If anything, Capcom of America are the ones who are trying to push Mega Man's presence onto North America more while Capcom of Japan, where the MM games were developed, are content with letting the series burn.

The fan game was given the Capcom seal under CoA's watch, not CoJ, because at least we would've had something decent. It was either that or Rockman Xover, which fortunately never made it here.

That, and I think licensing on the western spectrum is under them too (i.e. Archie Comics, and perhaps instigating the Worlds Collide crossover with the Sonic comics), but don't quote me on that. Gonna do a bit of research.

• Thumbs Up 2

NOPE. NOPE. NOPE. NOPE. NOPE. This is such a bullshit comparison.

This is nothing like what Penders is doing. Penders is trying to claim ownership over his cheap fancharacters from the comic version of an existing franchise. Inafune, on the other hand, is basically making expies of characters and a universe he fucking created while also adding in fresh new ideas, if only because Capcom keeps waving its dick in the faces of Mega Man fans out of spite.

Inafune has every right to give Capcom the finger on this one.

So Inafune has the rights to "something he created" but Penders doesn't? Call them "cheap fancharacters" all you want, they're still something he created, that he took back and is "adding fresh new ideas" through his new graphic novel.

My response to "Company does not do what I want them to and I am mad at them!" posts: No excuse to throw copyright out the window.

That's sorta true, but consider the fact there's been a few cancellations and nothing announced (that's stuck (other than stuff like Xover)) in those three years and you can see people's frustrations with Capcom. Not to mention 9 & 10, while neat from what I've heard, are...kind of underwhelming in the long run, at least IMO. I'd rather see a new Mega Man series or a new X or something than yet another 8-bit installment. Then again I've never been that interested in Classic Mega Man...

It's still just 3 years. Other series have been dormant far longer (Darkstalkers anyone?) I know everyone is extremely disappointed about those cancelations, but again, it doesn't justify that someone copy & paste the original ideas for a for-profit project.

Edited by Yong

If anything, Capcom of America are the ones who are trying to push Mega Man's presence onto North America more while Capcom of Japan, where the MM games were developed, are content with letting the series burn.   The fan game was given the Capcom seal under CoA's watch, not CoJ.   That, and I think licensing on the western spectrum is under them too (i.e. Archie Comics), but don't quote me on that. Gonna do a bit of research.
What about we are rockmen 2 and the 2 25th anniversary rock and techno cd's
  • Thumbs Up 1

None of those are an official, Capcom produced megaman game. SFxMM can't even be compared to Sonic CD HD and Sonic 1 iOS since we got Generations, ASRT, and now Lost Worlds within that time span while Megaman has at most a cameo in Smash 4.

Ok, wanna spread the word about this on the miiverse, both for gamers and to get nintendos atention, where should I do this? dont mess around on miiverse much

Whatever you do, don't spam =P

With that in mind, anywhere is a good place to start. I for one tweeted Angry Joe: any number of internet personalities might be interested.

The difference is, Penders taking the characters could (he's stated that it won't, but who the fuck knows) mean we won't see the characters he's claimed in the comics anymore, which is a lot different than what's happening here. In this case, they're making a game that's a spiritual successor, and it doesn't at all keep Capcom from making their own Mega Man games.

So Inafune has the rights to "something he created" but Penders doesn't? Call them "cheap fancharacters" all you want, they're still something he created, that he took back and is "adding fresh new ideas" through his new graphic novel.

My response to "Company does not do what I want them to and I am mad at them!" posts: No excuse to throw copyright out the window.

Dude, read the FAQ on the Kickstarter. It's been clearly stated that they've done this in a way so Capcom can not call copyright on this. 

EDIT:

Why do you shit on a happy thing.

I can't like his post right now so THIS THIS THIS
Edited by Chaos Warp

Mighty No. 9 is a side-scrolling action game inspired by titles like Mega Man, and it’s being made by many developers who’ve worked on Mega Man games in the past, but it’s 100%, top-to-bottom an all-new property that shares no characters, code, fiction, or anything else besides its genre with Mega Man. So while some of us are ex-employees of Capcom, and all of us are big fans of their games, this project has nothing to do with Capcom or Mega Man.

I guess Capcom technically can't sue. I wonder what their reaction to this will be though. 

I'm just in here to say; I am not into the Mega Man series as many of you apparently are. With that said, I have read about how bad the Megaman series have been treated over recently and the downfall of MML3. Seeing and reading this project...I don't how to explain, but it gave me a sense of excitement. Watching the Kickstarter video it was like I was overcome with sort of positive emotion. It was like a shiver went down my spine hahaha. 

From my viewpoint, it seems like this team really cares about doing what they feel should be right. I'd say I hope this does go the full 100% and this becomes a reality.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaathatsongisamazing~

Ok, back to what is being discussed, the 'copyright' thing and all that.

Edited by TheChaosBacon