Awoo.

Mighty No.9 - New Inafune title!

Meow

I guess Capcom technically can't sue. I wonder what their reaction to this will be though. 

Actually make a Megaman game. Yeah right...

The difference is, Penders taking the characters could (he's stated that it won't, but who the fuck knows) mean we won't see the characters he's claimed in the comics anymore, which is a lot different than what's happening here. In this case, they're making a game that's a spiritual successor, and it doesn't at all keep Capcom from making their own Mega Man games.

That was an unfortunate outcome of that case, I'm sure more fans are angry about that than the fact that Penders wanted the characters for his own project in the first place, as opposed to creating something completely new and original. The Penders case is the worst of the two, but to deny any similarities to what Inafune is doing is being ignorant.

Dude, read the FAQ on the Kickstarter. It's been clearly stated that they've done this in a way so Capcom can not call copyright on this.

Which would be unfortunate for Capcom. Doesn't change my own negative opinion about the project.

Why do you shit on a happy thing.

Cause I don't consider a rip off a "happy thing." A game designer that I respected and I know has the talent to make his own interesting ideas degrading himself by resorting to copying his old beaten ideas, of which aren't even his to use anymore? No not a happy thing.

200,000$ mark passed, boy thats a lot in one day, wonder what will happen when the word really spreads XD this has to be one of the fastest grossing kickstarters in a while XD

Edited by Mandobardanjusik

200,000$ mark passed, boy thats a lot in one day, wonder what will happen when the word really spreads XD this has to be one of the fastest grossing kickstarters in a while XD

In one day?

Dude, I don't think this was even up for four hours.

IMAGINE WHAT A DAY WILL DO.

edit: correctamundo

If this keeps up, at the very least it'll have it's 900,000 dollars funded by tomorrow night, probably more.

Edited by Chaos Warp

Even I'm surprised it hit that mark so fast. I can still remember when it was only at 10k.

That's what happens when you make the Mega Man game Capcom refuses to smile.png.

• Thumbs Up 1

actualy, its been about four, so at a rate of 200000 per 4 hours, if this continues, about 1 mil will have been raised int he next 20 hours! on top of the 200000 already raised

Edited by Mandobardanjusik
  • Thumbs Up 2

That's what happens when you make the Mega Man game Capcom refuses to smile.png.

Except it's not Megaman.

To be honest I'm more disappointed in the character design than the fact the gameplay will be loosy based on Megaman. No. 9 seriously looks like Megaman, almost to a T if you excuse some minor details. Same goes for all the other concept art shown so far, including the obvious Roll and Rush knockoffs. If they had used anything else, ANYTHING ELSE, I might not be as apprehensive. But no, originality doesn't sell, only someone else's established IP.

Except it's not Megaman.

To be honest I'm more disappointed in the character design than the fact the gameplay will be loosy based on Megaman. No. 9 seriously looks like Megaman, almost to a T if you excuse some minor details. Same goes for all the other concept art shown so far, including the obvious Roll and Rush knockoffs. If they had used anything else, ANYTHING ELSE, I might not be as apprehensive. But no, originality doesn't sell, only someone else's established IP.

You do realize the guy heading the team is the guy who created all that in the first place?

You do realize the guy heading the team is the guy who created all that in the first place?

Doesn't excuse him from essentially taking tracing paper to his old design that he doesn't have legal claim to anymore. You can make a Megaman-style game without outright copying the character design.

Except it's not Megaman.

​You're right it's not, it's the spiritual successor that all Mega Man fans deserve. 

​He does look a lot like Megaman but almost to a T? I think that's frankly ridiculous, espacially considering how many Megamans there are, there really is no "to a T" look. And only one Call design was an obvious Roll expy, the others were more original.

Except it's not Megaman.

People want more Mega Man and Capcom wont bother to make one for them, the creator is pissed that two projects (Universe and Legends 3) for the series were canceled due to Capcom not caring, and now he's not part of Capcom anymore and plans to not only have that classic gameplay but to mix it up with a more dynamic way of gaining weapons power-ups. Even if No. 9 looks to be the "unofficial" Mega Man 11, it still has a lot of originality to it with its character art (they look more similar to the Zero Series character styles than the classic series) and it will change up the tried and true series mechanics.

Did you look at the video the Kickstarter page had? Infune was really hurt that he was unable to do nothing while two projects he and his teams work very hard on with the fans get canned and he plans to never have that happen again. I think this game looks to be his best one, as he's not only proving to the fans that this will be a great game, but to himself to. Not to mention, the Mega Man Zero guy's and his studio Concept (which I believe worked on Soul Sacrifice) are making this too.

• Thumbs Up 1

Honestly, I just think the way that the characters look is just a natural modern progression of his original artstyle for the first Mega Man designs. It's the same man, just looking to re-invent what was once his pride and joy and give it a spiritual successor. Lord knows Capcom wouldn't give him the chance to.

Edited by Symbotic
  • Thumbs Up 7

Should I have specified "Classic Megaman" then? The fact that Capcom has made several Megaman designs for the various spinoff series is irrelevant. The design of No. 9 is clearly based off classic Megaman.

People want more Mega Man and Capcom wont bother to make one for them, the creator is pissed that two projects (Universe and Legends 3) for the series were canceled due to Capcom not caring, and now he's not part of Capcom anymore and plans to not only have that classic gameplay but to mix it up with a more dynamic way of gaining weapons power-ups. Even if No. 9 looks to be the "unofficial" Mega Man 11, it still has a lot of originality to it with its character art (they look more similar to the Zero Series character styles than the classic series) and it will change up the tried and true series mechanics.

Did you look at the video the Kickstarter page had? Infune was really hurt that he was unable to do nothing while two projects he and his teams work very hard on with the fans get canned and he plans to never have that happen again. I think this game looks to be his best one, as he's not only proving to the fans that this will be a great game, but to himself to. Not to mention, the Mega Man Zero guy's and his studio Concept (which I believe worked on Soul Sacrifice) are making this too.

How unfortunate for him, but that's life. Capcom owns the franchise so they can do as they see fit with it. It's not Inafune's place to decide "I'm going to take this project and do it elsewhere."

From the looks of it, it'll at least hit the Mac stretch goal at this rate, so I went and pledged for the 99$ reward.

But if this hits the Wii U, I'm taking that.

Doesn't excuse him from essentially taking tracing paper to his old design that he doesn't have legal claim to anymore. You can make a Megaman-style game without outright copying the character design.
I fully get what your saying but at the same time this is what fans wanted and there's a kickstarter.

How unfortunate for him, but that's life. Capcom owns the franchise so they can do as they see fit with it. It's not Inafune's place to decide "I'm going to take this project and do it elsewhere."

Well, I think copyright is an outdated concept in the digital age, so I'm more than happy to say FUCK THE POLICE.

If Inafune and his collaborators make a ton of money off their title instead of Capcom, who sit on the Mega Man franchise because they don't care, well, that's Capcom's problem. To hell with government-instituted monopolies, that's the real reality of capitalism.

Edited by Shirou Emiya
  • Thumbs Up 1