Awoo.

Mighty No.9 - New Inafune title!

Meow

The problem is that I think $4,000,000 is way too much money for such a small scale game. I just think Inafune is being greedy asking for more after the man already has $4,000,000.

My issue is with the principle of the matter.

You yourself said that we've largely been kept in the dark about this game. We have no idea how much content this game is actually going to have. In addition, most of us don't know much about how game development actually costs. We're in no position to be throwing out estimates like this. 

• Thumbs Up 2

The problem is that I think $4,000,000 is way too much money for such a small scale game. I just think Inafune is being greedy asking for more after the man already has $4,000,000.

My issue is with the principle of the matter.

This was my point, I said it isn't Grand Theft Auto 5. That game's budget was massive.

I'll repost my edit here cause it's now extra relevant:

Stuff that's always handy when discussing thinking indie game development is "too much"

It cost them $28,000,000 to make a AAA PS2 game (imagine how much it would cost today)

It cost them at $950,000 to create a single character in an FPS ($175,000 just to reskin)

$28mil for a game released a decade ago, $1mil each for characters. Imagine how much that's cost on modern systems considering devs spend more and more on development every year?

$4mil isn't too much at all. $4mil is child's play. The reason I said GTA5 cost most than you can imagine is because $4mil isn't too much for a "tiny indie game". That's how expensive GTA5 would be in comparison. $4mil is a teeny tiny fraction of how much GTA5 cost.

• Thumbs Up 6

I understand that making games is expensive, but I'm just getting tired of Inafune as a whole and how he acts towards a lot of things.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm not really contesting that. I honestly think it's fair enough to be kinda "uh.. really?" about the feeling that MN9 is almost being milked already even though it's not even out yet. I have concerns too.

This is the first time I've heard of a game getting another fundraiser before completion even though the first one was a smash success. It kinda rubs me the wrong way, but the development costs aren't the problem, and people can pay for it if they want, as weird as it is.

I'll repost my edit here cause it's now extra relevant:

Stuff that's always handy when discussing thinking indie game development is "too much"

$28mil for a game released a decade ago, $1mil each for characters. Imagine how much that's cost on modern systems considering devs spend more and more on development every year?

$4mil isn't too much at all. $4mil is child's play. The reason I said GTA5 cost most than you can imagine is because $4mil isn't too much for a "tiny indie game". That's how expensive GTA5 would be in comparison. $4mil is a teeny tiny fraction of how much GTA5 cost.

Well that was a good read SuperLink.

I think game developers have more tools at their disposal nowadays don't they? Would that affect cost? Either way I think if the same logic from that situation applies here then Inafune should have set the starting goal much higher than $900,000.

Mighty No. 9 would probably not be a very good game with only $900,000 dollars.

I'm still not sure I understand what you mean with the GTA comparison though. Mighty No. 9 couldn't possibly spend the same amount of money that went into GTA5.

I understand that making games is expensive, but I'm just getting tired of Inafune as a whole and how he acts towards a lot of things.

I haven't been following this completely through (and only watched part of the funded video so far) but whats inafune done again?

Edit: nevermind, yeah he really did jump the gun with the tv show though am looking forward to it.

I think game developers have more tools at their disposal nowadays don't they? Would that affect cost? Either way I think if the same logic from that situation applies here then Inafune should have set the starting goal much higher than $900,000.

Mighty No. 9 would probably not be a very good game with only $900,000 dollars.

I'm still not sure I understand what you mean with the GTA comparison though. Mighty No. 9 couldn't possibly spend the same amount of money that went into GTA5.

Game developers spend far more now than they did back then. The amount of detail that goes into AAA games is insane, shaders and stuff too are complex. It's no secret that tons of game devs have been going out of business, making way less games, or running out of money lately, and that's no coincidence at all. The cost of games is actually kind of a problem.. or was, it might be a bit better now than it was on PS3/360.

With only $900k, MN9 was going to be the same size as MegaMan 1. 6 stages, 6 bosses. Now, it's much more along the lines of a modern Mega Man X, with a lot more modes, options and features too. We've never had a Mega Man game with online coop before, for example.

And I think you misread my GTA comparison (although I didn't word it very well anyway).

Basically I was just saying that yeah, MN9 can't possible cost anywhere near as much as GTAV. You said MN9 isn't GTA and therefore shouldn't cost so much, and I said nope, the fact that it does cost that much only serves to indicate how astronomically high actual AAA games cost. GTAV cost almost $300mil to develop. That's how much the peak AAA game costs these days, and the average AAA game probably costs anywhere from $100-200mil.

$4mil is an appropriate price for an indie game from a brand new company that's packed with content.

EDIT: fixed accidental usage of pound sign P:

• Thumbs Up 5

Game developers spend far more now than they did back then. The amount of detail that goes into AAA games is insane, shaders and stuff too are complex. It's no secret that tons of game devs have been going out of business, making way less games, or running out of money lately, and that's no coincidence at all. The cost of games is actually kind of a problem.. or was, it might be a bit better now than it was on PS3/360.

With only £900k, MN9 was going to be the same size as MegaMan 1. 6 stages, 6 bosses. Now, it's much more along the lines of a modern Mega Man X, with a lot more modes, options and features too. We've never had a Mega Man game with online coop before, for example.

And I think you misread my GTA comparison (although I didn't word it very well anyway).

Basically I was just saying that yeah, MN9 can't possible cost anywhere near as much as GTAV. You said MN9 isn't GTA and therefore shouldn't cost so much, and I said nope, the fact that it does cost that much only serves to indicate how astronomically high actual AAA games cost. GTAV cost almost $300mil to develop. That's how much the peak AAA game costs these days, and the average AAA game probably costs anywhere from $100-200mil.

$4mil is an appropriate price for an indie game from a brand new company that's packed with content.

Well that makes a lot more sense. You're right that comparison I made was unfair, AAA games do have insane development costs.

I suppose $4 million isn't so insane, when you really look at it.

I haven't been following this completely through (and only watched part of the funded video so far) but whats inafune done again?

Edit: nevermind, yeah he really did jump the gun with the tv show though am looking forward to it.

-Treat his backers like shit by saying he'd welcome Capcom onto the project if they were up to it

-Call every dev who's never played Super Mario Bros a bad designer despite the fact that this asshole is behind shit games like X5-X7. Seriously even if he WAS right this is such a fucking conceited thing to say.

-If you paid $10,000 to have lunch with him in Japan, you had to pay for your own plane ticket and translator despite the fact that you fucking paid him $10,000 for fucking sushi

-Made Mega Man X3

And now he's asking for more money to add more pointless bullshit instead of just working on all the other shit he already has to get done by 2015. The initial stretch goals were all things that were pretty awesome elements. Voice Acting isn't that.

Maybe he really did need 4,000,000 for this game despite it looking like a low-budget indie title. So fucking what, he's still an asshole.

• Thumbs Up 1

This isn't about whether it's the best option or not.

This game is being funded by the backers. And I can tell you right now most of those backers are people who hate Capcom.

You don't go "hey guys I need your money to make my game" just to spit in their face afterwards.

Super Mario Bros. is probably the best crash-course I can think of in terms of game design. It's simple enough to be grasped by industry newcomers while still being an extremely quality product. If you haven't picked apart games like Super Mario Bros. or Tetris before to see what made them work, then you've got an uphill battle to climb trying to make truly effective games. "If any creator has not played Mario, then they're probably not a good creator" is maybe a blunt way of getting that across, but there's nothing really wrong with the sentiment.

• Thumbs Up 6

I'm not going through this again. I've said before why that's bullshit and if you really care about what I think then look for it.

This isn't about whether it's the best option or not.

This game is being funded by the backers. And I can tell you right now most of those backers are people who hate Capcom.

You don't go "hey guys I need your money to make my game" just to spit in their face afterwards.

It's a hypothetical comment just saying that if Capcom made the best offer, it would logically be the best choice. If you're getting pissed about that, that says more about you than it does about him.

I'm not going through this again. I've said before why that's bullshit and if you really care about what I think then look for it.

If you don't want to discuss your points, comrade, don't bring them up to begin with. I'm not gonna screw around with 60 pages of posting just to argue with someone who isn't there.

• Thumbs Up 1

I just can't get over the fantastic character designs hhnnngg.

Loving the look of Mighty No. 2 especially. She's cute! ^^

No. 2's a girl? You certainly wouldn't know by looking at her.

Glad to see that they're avoiding tokenism here.

I like how Beck stumbles slightly when he lands from his jumping animation while running.  Nice little attention to detail

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBS0O_rdNyg

• Thumbs Up 1

Apparently there was a bit of a change in plans down at ComCept. Originally they had said that the first stretch goal in this new Kickstarter would be $100,000 dollars to hire some English voice actors. Everyone assumed this meant they would already be hiring Japanese VA whether this new goal was met or not.

This is not the case.

2hsoLEX.png

Run, Jump 'n Shoot-man!

Nice Egoraptor reference there

I like how they're actually acknowledging the game's faults and the criticisms it's received instead of just gushing about how it's such a perfect game and platforming fans will love it because it's absolutely flawless.

• 8 months later...

Comcept uploaded this on their youtube channel

out of curiosity is anybody here still excited for this game back when it was first announced or has the hype just died for you?

Comcept uploaded this on their youtube channel

out of curiosity is anybody here still excited for this game back when it was first announced or has the hype just died for you?

I'm still pretty excited for it, only thing i'm really disappointed with is the fact that the transformations aren't the way how I expected them to be (though the ones they do have are still cool) and that the music isn't as great as I was hoping.

• Thumbs Up 1