Awoo.

Mighty No.9 - New Inafune title!

Meow

Yeah no "video" is half of "video game", if what I'm looking at looks like amateur work I'm not gonna spend my hard earned money on it.

I feel as though you'd miss out on a lot of legitimately good games going off of a basis like this but I can't really argue it if thats how you feel.

I feel as though you'd miss out on a lot of legitimately good games going off of a basis like this but I can't really argue it if thats how you feel.

Name one really amazing game that looked like total ass at the time it launched. Just one.

The only one I can think of is Deadly Premonition and honestly it doesn't look like something I'd enjoy anyway.

Yeah no "video" is half of "video game", if what I'm looking at looks like amateur work I'm not gonna spend my hard earned money on it.

Well, technically it's called a video game because the game can only be played through video feed :U

• Thumbs Up 1

Just how many games that have really crappy visuals by end up being good games though? MNo9 just looks bleh.

spider man 2 (both the movie sequel and the PS1 game) comes to mind.

Halo 2 looked like shit, that's the only one that comes to mind.

Really? I always thought the Halo games looked good as a kid.

The Spider-Man games were passable too imo, if not decent.

Just how many games that have really crappy visuals by end up being good games though? MNo9 just looks bleh.

Super Mario 64 comes to mind along with a bunch of games to the N64 look crappy

Halo 1 looked accetpable for the standards of the time. Halo 2 had really bleak visuals and really bad pop-in.

Super Mario 64 comes to mind along with a bunch of games to the N64 look crappy

Eh, I give Super Mario 64 a pass, Polygon games were still a new thing and Nintendo has always taken a bit to get used to changes.

I guess I'll play it because I already paid for it but otherwise this'd be one of those games I don't bother playing because it visually looks like garbage. 

Guessing they neutered the shit out of it so the basic framework would work on 3DS and the end result was the ugliest thing possible. God. 

If the visuals don't put me to sleep that level design will.

That, again, makes no sense. The 3DS and Vita version are being developed out of house and the graphics should be scale-able. I knew they wouldn't use that concept art style because that would take more time and work than making 3D models. This is a VERY simple game. A 3DS and Vita version didn't make the HD versions look worse. It's just laziness on Inafune and Comcept's side, and I'm honestly not surprised in the least.

• Thumbs Up 1

That, again, makes no sense. The 3DS and Vita version are being developed out of house and the graphics should be scale-able. I knew they wouldn't use that concept art style because that would take more time and work than making 3D models. This is a VERY simple game. A 3DS and Vita version didn't make the HD versions look worse. It's just laziness on Inafune and Comcept's side, and I'm honestly not surprised in the least.

I don't think you know what you're talking about. Scalable graphics means that the other versions were held back by the lowest common denominator. That's just how it is.

It comes down to whether or not the 3DS and Vita versions are totally different games - akin to the gulf in quality with Sonic Unleashed SD/HD. With a game looking this shit? I doubt that. 3DS could handle something very similar to this.

Game looks like it could run on a toaster. That's not acceptable on machines released in 2013.

I don't think you know what you're talking about. Scalable graphics means that the other versions were held back by the lowest common denominator. That's just how it is.

It comes down to whether or not the 3DS and Vita versions are totally different games - akin to the gulf in quality with Sonic Unleashed SD/HD. With a game looking this shit? I doubt that. 3DS could handle something very similar to this.

Game looks like it could run on a toaster. That's not acceptable on machines released in 2013.

but shovel knight D:

• Thumbs Up 1

It's not really fair (nor is there any ground to it) to blame the 3DS for this game's graphics. DKCR3D, despite suffering a visual downgrade from one of the most impressive looking Wii games out there, looks miles ahead of anything we've seen of MN9. Inti is to blame here, and it's clear that just because they have a talent for superb spritework doesn't mean that experience will translate to polygons and textures.

• Thumbs Up 3

There were Mega Man games with environments that look far more inspired, interesting and exciting than MN9's on the SNES, GBA and DS.

The 3DS is not to blame for MN9's lack of visual stimulus or inspiration lol.

Azure Striker looks more visually exciting than MN9.

• Thumbs Up 3

The drawn concept art they showed off during the Kickstarter campaign looked great. Makes you wonder if taking the handdrawn route like Shantae: Half Genie Hero or Rayman Legends would have worked better in their favour.

• Thumbs Up 6

The drawn concept art they showed off during the Kickstarter campaign looked great. Makes you wonder if taking the handdrawn route like Shantae: Half Genie Hero or Rayman Legends would have worked better in their favour.

I absolutely adore the visuals of pretty much every game that does this and it's a criminally underdone thing in modern gaming. I'm confident it would have looked infinitely nicer as it'd be something the devs would be more used to.

Hell I would have taken X4-X6 visuals over this.

I really don't like 3D models for 2D games.

• Thumbs Up 1

Hell let's ignore graphical capability for just a sec and focus on the aesthetic. It looks terrible, and it's not a thing you can blame on hardware either. There are N64 games that look more pleasing to the eye than this.

• Thumbs Up 5

You know when this game was first announced I was really excited but now hype is dying. This is mostly due to the fact that Comcept seem to be jumping the Buster(ha!) a bit. They're trying to franchise this thing into something big before the game is even out. The second kickstarter raised an eyebrow for me then they announced the tv show(which it doesn't deserve on btw) and it made me angry but the final nail in the coffin was the 3rd kickstarter they announced back in October for the DLC rival, the games not even out yet and already they're talking about that. Keep in mind that we still don't have a release date and that video that I posted the guy said they hope to announce it sometime this month or next month. I really hope that this game is good an not some run on the mill platformer trying to cash in on nostalgia.

Honestly my hype dwindled even further after playing Gunvolt. It's an okay game, but doesn't match Inti's previous efforts.

I also never finished it. The final bosses are bullshit.

The more muted, gray aesthetic could have looked really good if contrasted with super flashy, colorful particle and lighting effects like the concept art seemed to suggest. It's something that would have only been possible in 3D and it's actually what I was expecting when we got that alpha footage about a week after the Kickstarter campaign ended.

I'm not blaming 3DS hardware for being bad or whatever if that's what people are thinking I'm saying, they just picked an art style that's hardly compatible with the tech they're using and what we ended up getting was a really bland, ugly game. 

I can see what they were going for with their aesthetic but it looks like shit because they very stupidly chose to put the game on anything and everything and neutered their own engine to make it happen.

Extremely disappointing.

edit - 

no7_10thubb.png

Seriously this shit looks like a PS2 game. This is unacceptable.