Awoo.

Mighty No.9 - New Inafune title!

Meow

Would had anyone preferred the game had it looked more like the concept art, 2D wise? I really find the 3D models and graphics to be ugly, but had they done something in a similar direction of Half-Genie Hero, that wouldn't had been a problem.

MM1-noscale.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

Would had anyone preferred the game had it looked more like the concept art, 2D wise? I really find the 3D models and graphics to be ugly, but had they done something in a similar direction of Half-Genie Hero, that wouldn't had been a problem.

MM1-noscale.jpg

The concept would have worked better, 2D scales waaaayyyyy better than 3D most of the time, and can have a classic look when done right... same tends to go for even cel shaded games with the proper art-style

MM1-noscale.jpg

I backed it because I thought this is what the game was going to look like to begin with.

• Thumbs Up 8

MM1-noscale.jpg

3D modeling could have potentially let them get really close to this with a good lighting system and some procedural animations. Look at how Beck's right foot is still materializing as he jumps, the little traffic cone bots are waddling around, and the bright blue flashes complement the warmer orange hues scattered around from the light in the windows, the robots eyes, and Beck's buster. Also the dynamic shadow cast on that box there looks dope.

I backed thinking it was gonna look like that, but in 3D. Not fucking Baby's First PS2 Game. 

So...

I guess Mega Man is dead again?

Erm... no? I say save it for if the reviews end up being bad.

So...

I guess Mega Man is dead again?

No, Capcom is still making handbags and shit.

• Thumbs Up 7
  • Chuckle 1

Erm... no? I say save it for if the reviews end up being bad.

Well if almost everyone in this topic turned against this game based on one video alone, I wont expect critics to be as merciful, im still hopeful it will be at least decent though

I mean, a game not looking the best does not mean its a bad game.

True, though it does make you think. Why does it end up looking like none of the 4mil+ dollars went toward the visual department.

Well if almost everyone in this topic turned against this game based on one video alone, I wont expect critics to be as merciful, im still hopeful it will be at least decent though

At the very least it'll be decent. I'm sure I can promise you that.

True, though it does make you think. Why does it end up looking like none of the 4mil+ dollars went toward the visual department.

Cause it probably went into the gameplay department.

In that case, I'm concerned given this looks like a repetitive mess of relatively poor level design compared to the classic Mega Man series. 

• Thumbs Up 1

If that's what $4million worth of gameplay looks like then no wonder budgets are so bloated these days.

• Thumbs Up 9

Uh how? Are you making the argument that the money went into giving Beck the combat of Megaman and the mobility of X? Had they kept the initial transformation ideas that theory might've not been too far off, but that's not the case.

3D modeling could have potentially let them get really close to this with a good lighting system and some procedural animations. Look at how Beck's right foot is still materializing as he jumps, the little traffic cone bots are waddling around, and the bright blue flashes complement the warmer orange hues scattered around from the light in the windows, the robots eyes, and Beck's buster. Also the dynamic shadow cast on that box there looks dope.

I backed thinking it was gonna look like that, but in 3D. Not fucking Baby's First PS2 Game. 

I think all that lighting would be possible if they used something similar to Skullgirls, which has some of the best 2D graphics ever. Real time lighting and everything is in Skullgirls, and it's fantastic.

So did anyone else not get the memo about Comcept adding an actual level menu and improving the boss music for the beta? Cause that happened...I guess?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRWv6AHbxWw

Uh how? Are you making the argument that the money went into giving Beck the combat of Megaman and the mobility of X? Had they kept the initial transformation ideas that theory might've not been too far off, but that's not the case.

No I meant for all the stretch goals and stuff like that since there were quite a few modes and such like the playable call mode, the boss rush, the online multiplayer, etc. not just for the general gameplay but for all the things they were adding to it (didn't me to sound smart in that last comment by the way if it gave off that impression, I was just saying it like I see it).

Boy, those $4 million, plus the extra monies for the voice acting, sure seem to have been taking to their fullest advantage, eh? 

Christ, Half-Genie Hero looks more pleasing to the eye than this, and that Kickstarter only got about a quarter of the amount of money this game received. Heck, if were talking actually kickstarted and published 3D games, Pillars of Eternity recently got released, also having a funding of $4 million, and it turned out looking pretty great (through it's own aesthetic, of course, but the point still stands).

I can see what they were going for with their aesthetic but it looks like shit because they very stupidly chose to put the game on anything and everything and neutered their own engine to make it happen.

• Thumbs Up 7

Usually with any sort of pre-production planning in media the target audience and target platforms are the first things in mind. If they didn't do what is one of the most basic and fundamental early-stage decisions it's their own problem. Their engine should have been chosen for their goal, not the other way around. Shantae Half-Genie Hero is the perfect example of this. They chose their style, they chose their goals, and made sure everything could work, BEFORE the Kickstarter.

If they had the 3DS in mind as a possibility from the get-go they should have planned to use a visual style that would work with it, no excuses. This is the developers' problem, not the 3DS'.

A 2D hand-drawn style would have worked wonders and could have looked gorgeous on ANY system including 3DS (which is more than capable of running a game like Wario Land Shake), you don't just choose "3DS and Vita versions" as an attainable stretch goal and then say "b-b-but 3DS" when the visual style doesn't hold up. You choose a style that would have worked on all systems. Like 2D. And again, even Mega Man X looks more exciting than this, they would have lost NOTHING going for a 2D game. They would have gained everything and it would have looked amazing because clearly it's what they're used to.

There are a shitload of 3DS games that look more aesthetically inspired than MN9. Rayman Origins looks bloody gorgeous on consoles and it's on 3DS just fine and is far more aesthetically exciting than even the XBO version of MN9. MN9's lack of excitement is so much more than lack of fancy lighting and particle features and using them as the go to reasons for why it looks bad is a real superficial simplification of aesthetic design. MN9's areas look plasticy and thrown together like LEGO blocks, there's no organic feeling and that has nothing to do with 3DS "holding it back". This aesthetic did not happen because they chose to "put it on anything", this aesthetic happened because there's no inspiration in it.

Like, you've gotta be having a laugh with me if you think the 3DS doesn't have backgrounds and designs far more exciting like that, it just makes you sound like you've never played a 3DS before.

I'm just here thinking "I was right this game shoulda been 2D all along". There are way too few games out there with visuals like Half-Genie Hero, Rayman Origins, Skullgirls, Wario Land Shake, etc and lighting looks lovely in all these games. It's a crime.

• Thumbs Up 1