Awoo.

Mighty No.9 - New Inafune title!

Meow

I honestly think that's just you looking too much into very select details of the concept art. There are examples all over the industry of concept art with far better lighting and detail than the final game and it's not because they can't do those things it's just because concept art does not translate exactly to final product, in a lot of situations it rarely does.

A concept art does not directly translate to a certain level of effects either. The game having a similar aesthetic to Resogun than to Shantae is because it's a sci-fi and Shantae/Rayman is a fantasy, not because they drew it thinking "yeah we're gonna use particle effects". The game is totally lacking in proper lighting and all the systems the game is on have better lighting effects than that, including 3DS. If they cared at all about making it look like Resogun they would have done what WayForward did and said "look we're not sure it'd work on this platform so we won't promise it for this platform."

But even ignoring all that, MN9's aesthetic issues are far more than just lighting and particles. Using the MN9 concept art again as an example since you used it as an example of lighting and effects, what else is there? There's more going on in the background which looks busy and exciting rather than large, empty and barren, the environment looks more solid and less like LEGO bricks put together with a level-building tool, the enemies look more animated and alive, all that from a still image. All of those things are perfectly possible on low-end hardware.

And sure you can say that the 3DS isn't capable of those kinds of lighting and effects but you prove that you're only looking at a small part of aesthetic design when that's all you notice instead of noticing things like the actual background designs, stage designs and environments, all of which would work fine on any system including a PSP or PS2 if they had been designed to look exciting or interesting.

I dunno you say I'm rushing to defend the 3DS but my entire stance comes because it sounds like you think MN9's aesthetic issues are all related to hardware power which is superficial and completely undermines the importance of design which this lacks. No amount of gorgeous lighting, particles and polish is going to make this barren repetitive background devoid of character and lego-block extravaganza

617feaf0f5cdaac617b609d62dc89676.png
  • Thumbs Up 4

Done with a smart art direction, the only thing I see in that concept art you wouldn't be able to have on the 3DS is the implied green reflection on Beck. Everything else'd be perfectly feasible, through trickery, parallax, prebaked renders, etc, but feasible- and certainly better looking than what we're getting instead.

I really don't see how the big gray warehouse in that first screenshot looks way worse and badly designed than the big gray warehouse in the concept art. What I do see is a screenshot with completely flat lighting and bad use of color, which is exactly what I've been talking about from the beginning.

Look at the Dark Souls II screens I posted. You really want to tell me with a straight face that this is a completely superficial difference that has nothing to do with hardware power? Really, dude?

More hardware power is exactly what you need to have more shit going on in the background (like some cranes moving boxes or whatever, I don't know) and a proper dynamic lighting system is exactly what you need to add an extremely pivotal (possibly the most important) part of visual design to what's already there. 

"Gorgeous lighting, particles, and polish" make a world of difference to the final image and it genuinely baffles me that you can't see that.

1654056-hedgehogengine_demo.jpg

We got a game that looks like the top left screenshot (which is, by the way, miles less graphically demanding on the hardware than the final image) and you want to tell me that hardware power and lighting don't make a difference? Nah.

Anyway, I'm out. I don't think we're going to see eye to eye on this and I have a test to study for.

Done with a smart art direction, the only thing I see in that concept art you wouldn't be able to have on the 3DS is the implied green reflection on Beck. Everything else'd be perfectly feasible, through trickery, parallax, prebaked renders, etc, but feasible- and certainly better looking than what we're getting instead.

You know, maybe I should just ignore the debate over the not-so-great visuals and just enjoy the game itself, since I've actually enjoyed the stuff that's come out of the beta so far. Sure, the game won't set the world on fire, but it pretty much hits all the right marks for being a not!Megaman, while the dash-absorb mechanic changes things up quite a lot. Sure, it could've been a lot more, but the game so far is a blast.

Could be worse, really, at least it's visually miles ahead of the likes of X7 and X8. Or pretty much every 3D Mega Man game, really. Command Mission is really the only 3D Mega Man that actually looks halfway decent (though like everything else in that game was full of missed potential), X7 and X8's visuals really do stink and the Legends games had a nice aesthetic but graphically they aged rather badly.

• Thumbs Up 1

You're not wrong that lighting makes a big difference and I never said you were. I also never said there wasn't a difference between the Dark Souls images you posted but even that game was designed for a specific platform with the lighting in mind from point one before being pressured with parity afterwards. Even in the worse looking version the environments at least still look interesting and well-designed.

Even the example you use here;

1fd3db709c4a1fbc2ce3f1b45fee9aab.png

While the final version looks hugely different and there's no denying that, there is still more exciting background detail and organic level design in this image than there is in this;

617feaf0f5cdaac617b609d62dc89676.png

The Sonic example looks very unfinished sure but it also still looks organic, not repetitive or dull. I feel like you're totally missing my point here if all you took from my posts is "lighting doesn't make a difference".

Also weaker hardware is totally capable of having stuff going on in the background, less-repetitive looking areas, more organic looking design, all that is more than possible on weaker hardware and I don't know where you've been gaming for the last 20 years if you think the only difference between this

MMX8-Zero-SBlade1.jpg
  • Thumbs Up 6

You're severely overestimating the 3DS if you think it's capable of all those things. If you can prove me wrong with a screenshot of an existing 3DS game though, go ahead.

Those "tricks" aren't really scaleable when it comes to the higher resolutions and bigger screens that consoles offer - the seams begin to show.

You'd be able to pull it off in a SEGA Saturn.

The enemies' eyes' glow is not reaching outside of their shape, thus can be baked into the sprite itself.

The box doesn't seem to move beyond possibly being destroyed, so the shadow can be part of the tileset.

Alpha-transparency flashy animations have been done in fighting games since the mid-90's.

The background and foreground elements would be easily done in multiple levels of parallax.

Again, notice what I said- with the right art direction. I'm honestly just further complaining about Comcept here.

Boy, this game isn't looking very good visually and I'm kinda sadden that its hype is dwindling really fast. :( However, I'm still willing to wait for the game to finally come out and play it.

• Thumbs Up 2

I'll be getting the game, personally I'm going to ignore the reviews at first, not because of what they might say, but because I want to go into the game as blind as i can to experience it all for myself. Plus I generally enjoyed what the beta had to offer.

• Thumbs Up 1

Well, after learning about his leaving appears to have contributed to the nerfing of Ace Attorney's contributions to the crossover, I'm not particularly happy with Inafune. I'm almost kind of glad I ended up never even backing this. Tsk.

Well, after learning about his leaving appears to have contributed to the nerfing of Ace Attorney's contributions to the crossover, I'm not particularly happy with Inafune. I'm almost kind of glad I ended up never even backing this. Tsk.

Uh, what?

? Inafune wasn't part of Ace Attorney at all, where did you see that?

Ummm objection? He was the executive producer of Investigations and Apollo Justice, the latest main game at the time to boot as well, you aught to know. http://aceattorney.wikia.com/wiki/Keiji_Inafune

Anywho, my compatriot pppp has informed me that it was due to Inafune's improper departure that the Ace Attorney side of the crossover got nerfed, especially what with Miles and Butz not making it into the main story as originally planned. Might there be some misinformation here?

Huh.

Well I can't say I'm surprised. Inafune was a pretty important person in the company

So I've listened to these a few times now and these are my opinions on the voices we've heard so far. (Subject to change in the future)

Beck- When I heard that Yuri would be voicing him I wasn't entirely sure how to feel. Not that I dislike him or anything, I usually feel he's fine in any role he's in, I just didn't know how it would sound for Beck. After hearing this, I'm not sure what it is exactly, but it sounds better than I was expecting. I like it.

Pyrogen- Well this was...... unexpected. I dunno whenever I looked at pyrogen I guess for whatever reason I expected him to sound a little more relaxed. But then again this does have a good sort of evil and rough sound too it. I think it's alright, probably going to take some getting used too.

Cryosphere- Cryosphere is one voice, where I didn't entirely know what to expect her to sound like. But haven gotten an idea of what her personality is like, I got to say, I love this voice for her. That childish yet somewhat cutesy tone to her (also that pew pew pew).

Dynatron- I don't know why but I sort of get reminded of peacock from skullgirls. That aside this is the one voice I'm slightly disappointed by and not because she doesn't sound how I expected, quite the opposite she sounds exactly how I expected (almost). I don't hate it or anything, but it is definitely going to take some getting used too. On the other hand I do like that sort of electric wicked witch tone in her voice.  

Cryosphere is the main oddball for me over her voice. I imagined her voice having a much higher pitch.

I kinda pictured Pyrogen to have a more relaxed voice too, but this one still matches him.

Other than that, they nailed what I expected from Beck and Dynatron.

Cryosphere is the main oddball for me over her voice. I imagined her voice having a much higher pitch.

I kinda pictured Pyrogen to have a more relaxed voice too, but this one still matches him.

Other than that, they nailed what I expected from Beck and Dynatron.

Where the hell did all this money go to? I can't believe this is the most money given to a Kickstarter project ever yet instead of ending up with something amazing like Shovel Knight it's looking pretty average. I'll definitely wait for reviews before I even think of buying this and am now quite happy I did not support this project back then.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm in agreement, those sound better than the last batch in my opinion (even though I liked that batch except for one), the only real surprise there was Aviator, but I didn't know what to expect with him anyway, I like them.

I-is battalion sundowner O_O?

Edit: Okay nevermind he isn't but god does he sound close.

Bad news, game is delayed until September 15th for the US, September 18th for Europe & rest of the world. 3DS version coming later.

Buuuuuut on the bright side it will include Japanese and French voiceovers, extra subtitle language (Spanish, French, Italian, German, Russian, Polish, Brazilian Portuguese) and DLC, free for backers.

Also, it seems that Deep Silver officially joins the project.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mightyno9/mighty-no-9/posts/1213603?ref=backer_project_update