Awoo.

Mighty No.9 - New Inafune title!

Meow

3 years of canceled projects is still just 3 years. Again, many other franchises have gone absent longer than that without even a single mention of anything being worked on them.
What exactly is your point here? That rather than be happy we're getting the game we wanted Inafune to make for years, we should sit tight and shut the fuck up because fans of other franchises have been treated even worse in the past? That we should wait and pray that Capcom eventually gives us another Megaman game, and then hope that it turns out alright with the original creators gone? I for one couldn't be happier - no corporate meddling, no "it's your fault this didn't make money so we're calling it quits you selfish bastards" bullshit, and with a new IP, the opportunity for a breath of fresh air to come to this dead genre.
  • Thumbs Up 1

Excuse me while I insert a couple of comments from Retro, who also think the whole comparsion with Penders is complete bullshit.

It's really not, because Penders was claiming ownership of his "characters" that specifically were designed to exist in the Sonic universe. This "Mighty No. 9" is basically Mega Man in concept, but in a way is a bootleg kind of MegaMan. Except this is the case where the bootleg is probably superior to its source.

Not to mention, Capcom is just stopping use of Mega Man games being developed AS A WHOLE, and only by some miracle we even have him in Smash 4. Consumers have a DEMAND for Mega Man, but the owner of the IP just doesn't want to make these games. These guys are essentially meeting those demands but reskinning everything to make it original.

Ken Penders? He's making characters that he worked into an already successful IP and tried claiming ownership of those characters, disallowing their use in the series they were developed for so he can use them as his own "original property." In this sense I see HIM more as Capcom, restricting IPs from a provider to give to consumers. I just don't think people are crying over lack of Lara-Su in Archie :v

Of course the Penders situation is more complex than that but I guess you can see where I'm coming from.

Ugh, why are we acknowledging a dumb troll on the other board. It is obvious that what Inafune did is actually the exact fucking opposite of what Penders did. Penders is to intellectually lazy to reinvent the characters he made for a Sonic the Hedgehog comic, which isn't even his idea. Inafune invented the Mega Man series and isn't letting the fact he can't legally use his own characters from doing the same thing with new characters, which is what Penders should have done in the first place. Especially since Penders characters are just recolor the Hedgehogs anyway, unlike Inafune who can't use his original characters that he made in his original style because IP laws are stupid. Oh and that is another thing, Inafune is trying to step around IP law, where Penders is trying to exploit it.

Polar fucking opposites.

• Thumbs Up 1

Taking inspiration is one thing. Outright copying the artistic design is another. I think it's fair to criticize Inafune on his decision to base the character designs so closely to Megaman, rather than trust his own creative ability and design something completely new for a "new IP" and have it sell on its own merits, not because "it looks like Megaman." But that's just my opinion.
Megaman was entirely a result of his creative ability, and as such it's completely fair for him to take as much from it as he is legally allowed to. He wants to make a Megaman game, we want to play a Megaman game, and because of Capcom's antics that is not possible. So we have the next best thing. And for the record, Inafune's been doing other stuff since he left Capcom. Look up Soul Sacrifice.

If you want to argue the 'moral rights' in all this, as far as morals go, the original creators should have the rights over Mega Man, not Capcom, but copyright law is an outdated dinosaur that, even back when it was originally established, benefited large companies more than individual creators.

This whole debate is an apt demonstration of why copyright law is so fundamentally broken.

>The concept art

>Megaman

>The designs

>the screenshots

>THE MUSIC

OH GOD.

Everyone, seriously, back this up. This is like so amazing, this is one of my dream games and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

This is so amazing, I'm so happy!

• Thumbs Up 1

What exactly is your point here? That rather than be happy we're getting the game we wanted Inafune to make for years, we should sit tight and shut the fuck up because fans of other franchises have been treated even worse in the past? That we should wait and pray that Capcom eventually gives us another Megaman game, and then hope that it turns out alright with the original creators gone? I for one couldn't be happier - no corporate meddling, no "it's your fault this didn't make money so we're calling it quits you selfish bastards" bullshit, and with a new IP, the opportunity for a breath of fresh air to come to this dead genre.

My point is it's too early for Megaman fans to be crying that the franchise is "officially dead" and that it's okay for someone else to step in and do as he sees fit.

Megaman was entirely a result of his creative ability, and as such it's completely fair for him to take as much from it as he is legally allowed to. He wants to make a Megaman game, we want to play a Megaman game, and because of Capcom's antics that is not possible. So we have the next best thing. And for the record, Inafune's been doing other stuff since he left Capcom. Look up Soul Sacrifice.

Yes he has been doing other stuff, which is why he doesn't need to do this. He's better than to have to resort to banking on the success Capcom has garned from the Megaman franchise. If you were to tell a potential backer that they were making a Megaman-esqe game, and that the original designer was heading the project, that would've been enough. There was absolutely no need to make the art design look as close to the Megaman design as it currently does, if only for the reason that they want the blind support of the enraged Megaman fanbase.

Excuse me while I insert a couple of comments from Retro, who also think the whole comparsion with Penders is complete bullshit.

It stinks of how Ken Penders clings to his own characters because he's incapable of coming up with something original. You know he is betting on fans who enjoyed his story and characters from his run in the Sonic comics to be the ones who buy his new material. That's where I draw the comparison, not that every detail was exactly the same. I'll take back the comparison though if it means people on other forums can be happy knowing EVERY SINGLE PERSON has no problems with this project what so ever.

The company name, and the fact that they're not using the actual Megaman characters, story, and universe. As a fan I'm as much invested in those as I am in the gameplay, as I know many other fans are. In my view it's disrespectful to that original source material to just copy and paste it with slight alterations, all because you're not allowed to use them and are incapable of designing something original to take its place. Inafune is copying Megaman all for the sake of "selling this as a Megaman game" in both gameplay and design. If there was any worth in this project it would be for its own merits, not because "it's EXACTLY like that old game you liked."

Oh hey, you said something in which we can agree on. This project should very much be looked by it's own merits, and not just "Oh man look, Mega Man!", which you've been very much doing a great job calling said project a rip-off. Look, while I can see where you're coming from and certainly understand what you're trying to say, what's to say Mighty No. 9 won't make something creative out of the similar assets of Mega Man or any 2D platformer as a whole? Inafune isn't making this game because he can't think of anything else to make that isn't original, he's making it out of passion and respect for the franchise he made that many people have cared for and still do to this day, who have felt that series has been treated like shit. Just because he's gonna make this one game doesn't mean that he won't make entirely new IPs that are seperate to what he's done before. 

Because no series has gone 3 years without a "proper" entry, right? Nevermind the recent cameo in an extremely popular crossover fighting game.

This isn't a case of whether or not the series has gotten a proper entry in recent time, it's of the otherwise cancellations of games that seemed like they could have been good games. Maybe not amazing or spectacular, but still good in it's own right. But now we'll never find out, because I guess taking a risk on your product is just too much effort.

They canceled projects they deemed "too risky." That's not "proof" that they've abandoned the series forever. The fact that they even bothered with a "shitty iOS game" at all is proof enough that he's not dead in their view. They just don't see any profit potential to be made on a "major" Megaman project at the current moment. Is it the right plan? Maybe not, but I understand where they're coming from. Has Capcom made dumb decisions recently? In my opinion absolutely. Does that give everyone else the right to take what's their's and use as they see fit? No it doesn't.

Ah, yes. CLEARLY these IOS games and port of a well established franchise that are either a gimped or take into no account of how said franchise was even good for to begin with, of course show that Capcom really does care about it's franchises.

259147-bof6.jpg

I also love that THOSE games weren't risky at all for them, but the ones that got cancelled? Oh No, TOO RISKY!

And finally, you say that this Project is disrespectful the Mega Man series because it takes cues from said series. Well then, by your definition of disrespect, I guess Dark Souls must be the most loathsome, disrespectful game to Demon's Souls. Nevermind the fact that both games were developed by the same developers, since Sony has the rights to that game, that means the From Software are a bunch of morally deprived crooks!

Yes, Capcom has the rights to Mega Man, no one is denying that. But they don't have the rights over everything sci-fi from said game, let alone the developers who made said games. 

• Thumbs Up 3

The game's theme song.

Welp, I need to ready my wallet then...

Oh hey, you said something in which we can agree on. This project should very much be looked by it's own merits, and not just "Oh man look, Mega Man!", which you've been very much doing a great job calling said project a rip-off. Look, while I can see where you're coming from and certainly understand what you're trying to say, what's to say Mighty No. 9 won't make something creative out of the similar assets of Mega Man or any 2D platformer as a whole? Inafune isn't making this game because he can't think of anything else to make that isn't original, he's making it out of passion and respect for the franchise he made that many people have cared for and still do to this day, who have felt that series has been treated like shit. Just because he's gonna make this one game doesn't mean that he won't make entirely new IPs that are seperate to what he's done before. 

This isn't a case of whether or not the series has gotten a proper entry in recent time, it's of the otherwise cancellations of games that seemed like they could have been good games. Maybe not amazing or spectacular, but still good in it's own right. But now we'll never find out, because I guess taking a risk on your product is just too much effort.

Ah, yes. CLEARLY these IOS games and port of a well established franchise that are either a gimped or take into no account of how said franchise was even good for to begin with, of course show that Capcom really does care about it's franchises.

259147-bof6.jpg

I also love that THOSE games weren't risky at all for them, but the ones that got cancelled? Oh No, TOO RISKY!

And finally, you say that this Project is disrespectful the Mega Man series because it takes cues from said series. Well then, by your definition of disrespect, I guess Dark Souls must be the most loathsome, disrespectful game to Demon's Souls. Nevermind the fact that both games were developed by the same developers, since Sony has the rights to that game, that means the From Software are a bunch of morally deprived crooks!

Yes, Capcom has the rights to Mega Man, no one is denying that. But they don't have the rights over everything sci-fi from said game, let alone the developers who made said games. 

It would still have a copy and pasted art design layered on top of it, despite whatever innovations they make to the gameplay.

And yes, in comparison those mobile games were "less risky" in the grand scheme of things. A 3DS and console downloadable game take far more work, and thus more funding. And then you have to factor in how likely it is to sell. They didn't see profitably making up for the costs. Were they wrong? Probably, but how are we to know how strong the community would have actually been in terms of moving units.

I'm tired, so I'll just be bried before calling it a night - He is making a game that clearly many people want to be made. These very many people are funding the project in droves, and it appears very likely that he will get the funding he needs to make the game. In 2015, these people will finally get the game they've been waiting almost half a decade for, and will be very happy to play it. Inafune will have finally completed his dream project and gotten a large sum of money as a reward. All of this money could have gone to Capcom had they treated their fans with more courtesy and respect. Instead, they insulted and guilted the, and drove those fans away as a result. This is their own fault and if they wanted that money they should have gave the people what they wanted. Instead, they chose not to, and someone else stepped up to take the market. This is how business works, and this is how it's worked for centuries. He has the supply, we have the demand. K. I'm literally struggling to keep my eyes open now. Peace, homies.

I never made any ill will towards this project being successful, just my disapproval of its design. I'm clearly the minority here. I would be happy to see Megaman fans put their money where their mouth is, if only to prove to Capcom that the time to make a new Megaman WAS now. Wouldn't change my opinion on the design decision though.

All of this money could have gone to Capcom had they treated their fans with more courtesy and respect. Instead, they insulted and guilted the, and drove those fans away as a result. This is their own fault and if they wanted that money they should have gave the people what they wanted. Instead, they chose not to, and someone else stepped up to take the market. This is how business works, and this is how it's worked for centuries. He has the supply, we have the demand. K.

This is the absolute crux of things. If consumers are showing demand for a certain kind of content and you're not providing it, you have literally no fucking right to complain if someone else takes the initiative, supplies said content, and makes money because of that.

That is how the free market works. Copyright, which is essentially an intellectual monopoly, is essentially the antithesis of capitalism, and benefits few but big, multi-national companies. In the United States Constitution, the purpose of copyright is defined as "to promote the progress of useful arts and science". Essentially, its purpose is to benefit the public, with compensating creators merely being a means to an end. If it's not doing that, then it should be shoved aside.

This isn't Inafune's only project (his team did Soul Sacrifice, among other titles), so it's not like he's simply clinging on to old ideas. He and his team wants to do this. If people want to buy this game, and they want to make it, they have every right to do so, and they're not stepping on Capcom's "intellectual privilege" in the process.

As for me? I see it as a sub-series of Mega Man in all but name, really.

Edited by Shirou Emiya
  • Thumbs Up 1

I never made any ill will towards this project being successful, just my disapproval of its design. I'm clearly the minority here. I would be happy to see Megaman fans put their money where their mouth is, if only to prove to Capcom that the time to make a new Megaman WAS now. Wouldn't change my opinion on the design decision though.

See, now it's clear that you just simply dislike how the design and look of the project just looks way too Mega Man for you, which I can see why you would think so. There's no need for all this moral or copyright stuff, if you'd been more clear about your main concern with this title, than I think people would've generally understood your point better.

Never been a fan of Megaman but played ZX and ZX Advent and I enjoyed them a lot. This new concept sounds like something I would enjoy as well and at the same time it's a great game for all Megaman fans out there who were let down by crapcom.

Looking forward to how it goes from here.

It stinks of how Ken Penders clings to his own characters because he's incapable of coming up with something original. You know he is betting on fans who enjoyed his story and characters from his run in the Sonic comics to be the ones who buy his new material. That's where I draw the comparison, not that every detail was exactly the same. I'll take back the comparison though if it means people on other forums can be happy knowing EVERY SINGLE PERSON has no problems with this project what so ever.

You know what the biggest difference between Inafune and Penders is?

Inafune created Megaman. Penders didn't create the Sonic Universe.

Lets not forget that Penders is trying to claim ownership of characters he created for the Archie Sonic Comic, while Inafune is bootlegging himself, because law prevents him from using a character he created.

The two situations aren't even remotely comparable.

• Thumbs Up 4

Just pledged my $75 (curse being outside the US and having to pay that bit more).  Definitely supporting this, after all the Megaman has been through, and the bullshit copyright laws preventing Inafune from using is own character a game that from professional old time developers that not only pay homage to classic Megaman gaming but also help to try and advance his gameplay into the modern age (which is something that, in my opinion, Megaman 9 and 10 didn't do because whilst those games at their core were pretty dang good games, they really advance the series at all).  

I hope this project ends up being worth it.  The fact that they've reached over 1/3 of their required pledge in less than a day is absolutely crazy (props to the that fucking insane guy who pledged $10,000; as much as I love to support great games and developers at the end of the day my primary support is for the game, and as a result I'm not willing to pledge more than what I feel a good game is worth).  

Nngh...so tempted to give them $5 for this. (I don't swim in money, you know). I love almost everything about Megaman. Let's see how it goes.

Oh wow there's even a Cut Man in the middle of all that

Yong, your comparisons with Penders only work in the sense that what Inafune is doing now is what Penders should've done from the start. Inafune isn't trying to claim Mega Man back, or steal it back from Capcom. He just wants to make the game he dreamt about (which, btw, I'm guessing is more Mega Man Universe than Legends 3) and that the fans wanted, but didn't get to do.

All those characters aren't Capcom's characters, and Capcom still gets to use Mega Man. He's doing an updated version of archetypes from 20 years ago, and if that's copyright infringement I hope there's not one single more Mega Man game before the Tezuka estate and Tatsunoko are showered in money.

EDIT: Also, Tear Ring Saga. The developers had to pay a fee to Nintendo, but Japan's legal system upheld that the game that was Fire Emblem with a new coat of paint was not a copyright infringement.

Edited by Captain Harlock
  • Thumbs Up 3

Inafune abandoned Mega Man Legends 3 and was fine with the FPS . If anything, he was more disrespectful towards Mega Man.

IIRC Inafune offered to come back and finish Mega Man Legends 3 and other projects he was working on as contractor when he heard Capcom cancelled it, but Capcom shot down his suggestion.

I've never played a MegaMan game (although I would like to someday), but I am aware of how Capcom's been treating him and the fans aren't happy with that, so I'm rather interested to see how this project turns out. I wish Inafune and the other developers luck on creating what is "technically" the Mega Man game he/they and the fans always wanted to see come into fruition.

Edited by Yeow

According to NeoGAF Archie's Mega Man comic artist did fan art:   vgMPvEH.jpg
Ryan Jampole

According to NeoGAF Archie's Mega Man comic artist did fan art:

vgMPvEH.jpg

See I don't know how you can look at this and say that they look almost the same as each other down to a T. 

Anyway, dropping the incredibly stupid copyright discussion, I really like the Call design on the bottom right side with the purple hair: b733fef2a95df4f3de2a9074b4a043cf_large.j

Do you guys have a preference for the Call design?

Edited by Chaos Warp