Awoo.

Mighty No.9 - New Inafune title!

Meow

Amazing that these are more or less the same people who were able to crap out a new Mega Man game every year without fail.

Seriously, this is basically a modern Mega Man game. What could POSSIBLY be necessitating all of these delays?

• Thumbs Up 1

Different development standards might mean different schedules...but even then, the only explanation is production troubles that they're not willing to reveal.

I'm sure some devs have quite the story to tell...as soon as this is all over, one way or another. Or at least, when people quit and decide they have nothing to lose by disclosing the details up to the point of their departure.

12 hours ago, PC the Hedgehog said:

Amazing that these are more or less the same people who were able to crap out a new Mega Man game every year without fail.

Seriously, this is basically a modern Mega Man game. What could POSSIBLY be necessitating all of these delays?

It's like on a million different platforms. It's lower budget. There a more complicated features like online, which was said to be the problem. I think they want to release it with all of the Kickstarter features unlike, say, Shovel Knight where things like Plague of Shadows and other stretch goals were released later.

• Thumbs Up 3

Interesting idea; Shovel Knight might well be a very illuminating comparison.  That got quite a lot of additional features funded on Kickstarter, but the developers went pretty much broke just finishing the main game because everything costs more and takes longer than you think it will, and it was only with the money they made from releasing the game that they've been able to start fulfilling their stretch goals (and they still have several to go, two years after the game came out).  Mighty No. 9 might be in a similar situation; of course, they were handed absolutely bags of cash, but their stretch goals were biting off a lot and with every day that goes past then more of that money is trickling away.  If they'd planned in advance to add things like the online features, which they have admitted are causing them trouble, later on as free updates, then - well, the game might not be fully complete to their vision of it, but they'd probably have released it and at least been able to make some money back.

To be clear, I actually feel a bit sorry for the developers.  Not for things like the ultra-derivative premise and lacklustre visual style, though I think there are interesting things to be said about those, too; no, more on the planning side of things.  As the saying goes, hindsight is 20/20.  I think they got caught up in the hype, bit off way more than they could chew, and made some inadvisable decisions in planning the game's release, and the result is that the glamour has well and truly faded from a project which should probably have never been that huge a deal.

• Thumbs Up 3

15 hours ago, PC the Hedgehog said:

Having played the demo thanks to a friend of mine backing the game,  I must say that the game plays much more like Megaman X as opposed to classic.

4 hours ago, FFWF said:

Interesting idea; Shovel Knight might well be a very illuminating comparison.  That got quite a lot of additional features funded on Kickstarter, but the developers went pretty much broke just finishing the main game because everything costs more and takes longer than you think it will, and it was only with the money they made from releasing the game that they've been able to start fulfilling their stretch goals (and they still have several to go, two years after the game came out).  Mighty No. 9 might be in a similar situation; of course, they were handed absolutely bags of cash, but their stretch goals were biting off a lot and with every day that goes past then more of that money is trickling away.  If they'd planned in advance to add things like the online features, which they have admitted are causing them trouble, later on as free updates, then - well, the game might not be fully complete to their vision of it, but they'd probably have released it and at least been able to make some money back.

To be clear, I actually feel a bit sorry for the developers.  Not for things like the ultra-derivative premise and lacklustre visual style, though I think there are interesting things to be said about those, too; no, more on the planning side of things.  As the saying goes, hindsight is 20/20.  I think they got caught up in the hype, bit off way more than they could chew, and made some inadvisable decisions in planning the game's release, and the result is that the glamour has well and truly faded from a project which should probably have never been that huge a deal.

That's the main issue I keep seeing with Shovel Knight. The only way they can make additional cash is through the amiibo and selling new copies of the game, but they still have to keep producing that extra DLC content for free. I'm not sure if they'll have much left over to produce another new game after all is said and done.

In the case of Mighty No. 9, they'll likely be in a similar situation, except they'll be stretched thin trying to get everything in the game complete so hey can just START selling copies.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 gbs? I'm not upset. A bit surprised it's not bigger, but...

Another delay? Well, some might argue May 31st is the unofficial start of summer, but I think it's safer to assume another delay is on the horizon. The developers ought to get it together, or I only see a few ways for it to end, and none of them look good.

To be perfectly honest I don't see this ending well in anyway shape or form at all. Like there's literally nothing they can do at this point to fix themselves honestly. Even if the game came out like right now, most people hate it or have stopped caring, and if the game came out later, same deal, if it never came out and was (officially or unofficially) cancelled or something, man would people be pissed and want their money back more than ever. Difference now is if they don't get it there can actually be real trouble.

I mean when this has basically become the general perception of the game

For a lot of people then you know that you must have really fucked up. It's actually quite sad when I think about it. Which hey guess what, I don't as much anymore.  I wonder why that is. 

• Thumbs Up 2

This better be worth the wait.

I'm not sure whether to have confidence in this game considering all the delays and time taken to make it, or scared that it'll fall flat on this face.

Considering that people lost interest in this game it's going to be interesting to see how well it does critically and finically. I also wonder when we'll see the vita and 3DS versions.

1 hour ago, Tailikku said:

vhyfxm.jpg

Found this on Nintendo World Report:

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/42626/mighty-no-9-goes-gold-has-one-more-release-date

It looks like the US, Canada, and parts of Asia will be getting Mighty No. 9 on  the literal first day of summer this year.

Gotta love how they couldn't even keep their promise of a Spring 2016 release date. :P One more delay for the road,  why not?!

Of course the handheld versions are still getting delayed as expected. 

I'm excited for it, cries of poor quality and broken release dates be darned.

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't have high expectations for Mighty No.9 at this point what with all the delays and overhype surrounding it so I think I'll wait until it's out in the wild for a while before deciding if it is worth a purchase or not. I want the game to do well but the court of public opinion towards this game will most likely be quite harsh upon release going off of prior history of delays.

• Thumbs Up 1

Well it's not just the delays, much as I disagree with them, does anyone remember the comment section underneath that original 16 minute long video of the guy playing the demo? Or that one that was posted by the same guy as the video I posted above? While I've run into a fair share of people who like the game, I don't know if they make up the majority.

I see the game getting a "mixed" reception at Best. At worst................. oh boy. 

• 2 weeks later...

Some sources say it's now coming out on June 21st. Not surprised.

However, it is also claimed that the game has gone gold. It's something...right?

Edit: Autocorrect's being stupider than usual.

Heard about the survey getting delayed due to technical difficulties. Pffft

I8aAxiG.jpg

• Thumbs Up 5

I'm gonna reserve judgement until it releases. But I'm with you on not expecting too much at this point, and for a few reasons.

They counted their chickens before they hatched, and it's looking likely it will blow up in their faces. If I were them, I'd have finished the damn game and seen how it did before even thinking about any multimedia deals.

I'm aware that an animation studio approached Concept about the cartoon (rather than the other way around), but they still could have said "no, let's not get hasty." They didn't. They decided to do it.

Both sides would have lost less if They said no; the animation studio wouldn't lose money on an adaptation of a work whose success is uncertain, and Concept wouldn't look like they're jumping the gun.

Concept decided to try making Red Ash through Kickstarter...before Mighty No. 9 is out. It's a different part of Concept, but still the same house. They should have thought that maybe they should wait until they've proven themselves. Nope, too small.

Not helping matters was that the developments we've seen, while I think would make a decent game, doesn't look like what was promised. I'm not happy about the developments.

Say what you want about the delays of some other Kickstarter games; at least they try to be realistic in their expectations, and they didn't seem to advertise multimedia franchises. I have no clue what the future holds, but I'm willing to be it won't be pretty.

Hilariously, around the time of the first Kickstarter, I remember reading a dA stamp saying "Mighty No. 9 is not the best game ever." Even at the time, I agreed, if only because my thought was "Well, of course it isn't, it's not even out yet." Looks like the fellow that made that stamp might wind up being more right than they realized.

I remember when so many were excited for the game. Now it's got the dubious honor of managing to join the Deader than Disco club before coming out...or, more specifically, partially because it's not coming out, though the scope creep and other blunders haven't helped at all.

• Thumbs Up 3

Honestly, it's a situation that's reminding me far too much of Ken Penders and The Lara-Su Chronicles, the only difference being the creator isn't as much as a bitter prick as Penders. But still. We have a former employee who worked on a franchise owned by a company (Penders: Sonic/Archie/SEGA, Inafune: Mega Man/CAPCOM), they are making a product that is a clear copy of that series, both are so fucking desperate for multi-media purposes that they go insane with possibilities (Big difference being that Inafune actually managed to pull it off, while Penders boasts about it, but no one in their right mind would fund his piece of shit for a movie/tv show), and the amount of delays on both projects being completely over the top at this point.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

Honestly, it's a situation that's reminding me far too much of Ken Penders and The Lara-Su Chronicles, the only difference being the creator isn't as much as a bitter prick as Penders. But still. We have a former employee who worked on a franchise owned by a company (Penders: Sonic/Archie/SEGA, Inafune: Mega Man/CAPCOM), they are making a product that is a clear copy of that series, both are so fucking desperate for multi-media purposes that they go insane with possibilities (Big difference being that Inafune actually managed to pull it off, while Penders boasts about it, but no one in their right mind would fund his piece of shit for a movie/tv show), and the amount of delays on both projects being completely over the top at this point.

You know it's funny when this thread was first created somebody did compared Inafune to Penders and at the time we all thought that the person was exaggerating. Guess he was right. I guess the difference is the timing of the situation.

The reason why this all happend the first place was because he had a fallout with Capcom. While Capcom was canceling games(Legends 3, Universe etc), Inafune started his own company and was making some original IP's(which lead nowhere) and he created MN9 just because fans wanted a new game.  

I don't want to say that it seems that he's taking advantage of his fans Mighty No. 9 has had 3 kickstarters/crowdfundings more than any game should need. Then he also made 3 more(yeah a there was a 3rd one) with Red Ash despite the fact that MN9 still isn't out yet. What I find baffling is that Keiji has been involved with the MM since the beginning and he should know how big the series is so him turing MN9 into his multimedia project is ridiculous 

One thing to point out that this isn't the first time Inafune has done this since leaving Capcom. He made a new Ip and he wanted to make it into the next big thing but it got cancelled and the company helping him out lost nearly $4 Million.

No9scam.png

• Thumbs Up 3

I'm out of the loop with this one, but when is it really coming out? I remember this game was announced in what... 2013? Jesus. I just want to play some new platformer lol

The date they told us? June 21

The reallistic release date? Somewhere between today and the end of the universe.

• Thumbs Up 2

If it's true that the game has gone gold, then I'd say June 21st is more realistic than we think.

Of course, this is assuming they're telling the truth. And it could be a lie.