Awoo.

Mighty No.9 - New Inafune title!

Meow

I feel as though the try-hard dialogue in that trailer was intentional, like a throwback to those "THIS GAME IS SO RADICAL, SUCK IT, SONIC!" 90's commercials. It just needs a VHS static overlay and mid-boosted sound to make it more apparent.

• Thumbs Up 2

4 hours ago, Marcello said:

You'd have to be pretty insecure to be insulted by that anime fans joke.

It's coming to 3DS and sharing assets across the board.

Even then, the game probably wouldn't look so bad (irregardless of platform) if the art direction just didn't seem to look so mediocre. Multiplatform development or no, the pizza-cheetos explosions from the rockets and the shiny, plastic-looking character models don't look very good, let alone indicative of a game that had $4 million dollars crowdfunded into its development. And speaking of which...

CjUdxP1UUAA_PK-.jpg

All of the above games listed in that picture for comparison to MN9 I'd say have much better art direction, and they were made with vastly less (crowdfunded) resources to boot.

• Thumbs Up 8

2 hours ago, Gabe said:

Even then, the game probably wouldn't look so bad (irregardless of platform) if the art direction just didn't seem to look so mediocre. Multiplatform development or no, the pizza-cheetos explosions from the rockets and the shiny, plastic-looking character models don't look very good, let alone indicative of a game that had $4 million dollars crowdfunded into its development. And speaking of which...

CjUdxP1UUAA_PK-.jpg

All of the above games listed in that picture for comparison to MN9 I'd say have much better art direction, and they were made with vastly less (crowdfunded) resources to boot.

The thought that MN9 contributed to the bout of Half Genie Hero not getting as much backing as it could've and thus preventing the "Dish Served Cold" chapter from being made never ceases to sicken me. 

• Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, VizardJeffhog said:

SONIC ISN'T THE ONLY ONE WHO DELIVERS. (pun absolutely intended)

10739144.gif

This stuff right here is just too beautiful for words.

• Thumbs Up 4

On May 27, 2016 at 11:26 AM, Gabe said:

CjUdxP1UUAA_PK-.jpg

Still mildly upset that Shantae didn't make the $1 million stretchgoal. I would've love to have seen those animated cutscenes they were planning. 

But geez does this look mediocre. Yooka-Laylee is more impressive and that made less than MN9. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I think the difference is that they wanted to release Mighty No.9 on every current platform. Most of the games mentioned above were initially released for a like 2-3 platforms max then they were later released on other systems. I still go by my theory that MN9 should of been using hand drawn models ala Skull girls and Shantae 1/2 genie hero or better yet sprites since that's what Inti creates are more experienced with. I think this game is the first time they've even done 3D. 

1 hour ago, Dejimon11 said:

I think the difference is that they wanted to release Mighty No.9 on every current platform. Most of the games mentioned above were initially released for a like 2-3 platforms max then they were later released on other systems. I still go by my theory that MN9 should of been using hand drawn models ala Skull girls and Shantae 1/2 genie hero or better yet sprites since that's what Inti creates are more experienced with. I think this game is the first time they've even done 3D. 

Pretty sure that's what most people wanted when they saw the now-infamous concept art.

mighty-no-9-concept-art.jpg

Going with a 2.5D look isn't inherently disappointing, but the way Comcept has gone with it with MN9 is definitely underwhelming in comparison.

By the by, headline of the year? Headline of the year.

ITmqGBb.png

(Yes, that Forbes article is real.)

• Thumbs Up 9

The trailer actually didn't look as bad as I was expecting (though the jab at anime fans in a trailer for a Japanese-developed game seems... tactless).  The graphics definitely have a plastic-y toybox look to them, but on some of the character models I felt it worked surprisingly well, while the gameplay seemed at least okay (and if memory serves, the gameplay has done well in previews).  The concept art visuals certainly had more soul, though, not to mention more interesting lighting, and anyone who feels they were misled is quite justified.  The Shovel Knight Kickstarter definitely had the right idea in presenting the game as if it was already finished; nobody was ever in doubt as to what they were getting with that game.

I know this was just a test and I've probably showed this before but wow this is kinda hilarious 

13268511_630682993748084_427633032103603

Speaking of graphics, how about this comparison sheet between the Sept. 2014 and this month's builds?

Just... yikes, Comcept. Yikes.

• Thumbs Up 4

You know, I wonder if the reason why the visuals were downgraded is because of the supposed issues with the online and these being the compromise to get that running smoothly?

6 hours ago, VizardJeffhog said:

13268511_630682993748084_427633032103603

Speaking of graphics, how about this comparison sheet between the Sept. 2014 and this month's builds?

Just... yikes, Comcept. Yikes.

Jesus, those explosions look like spicy Cheetos. 

Honestly the only thing that looks "worse" to me is the explosion effects and some of the shots. 

• Thumbs Up 3

I think maybe they've been trying to make the art more stylised across the board?  The explosion, for instance, is notably less generic.  The issue is that the style in question isn't really all that great...

• 2 weeks later...

Little update on their site. Talks a little more about ray plus a video.

THE VERMILION DESTROYER

Hey Mighties,

With the release of Mighty No. 9 approaching, we have delivered a ton of info regarding the game and rewards to our backers through these updates, to the point where some may think we don't have anything else to share!

However, haven't you forgotten about one specific character?
Yup, that's right! In this update we are going to share more details about Beck's rival, the Vermilion Destroyer RAY!

cmF027wSBhBhdM2rvKECP1bMprVH7kMZJHdo-DFR

It has actually been a while since we did an in-depth update about the game design, and we have been looking forward to sharing this information! (`_´)ゞ

AlD_W_nwDSZZfUgVvPSKFLQ3F6oCM90_A131F8GM

RAY is a character that is supposed to be shrouded in mystery, so are going to do our best to share more details without giving too much away!

First, let's look at the very first teaser we created for RAY!

◆Story◆

RAY: "I've heard him use the name "Sanda" before..."
RAY: "...Is that where he is hiding?!"

The SANDA Technologies HQ that Beck and crew use as a base suffers a hacking attack.
Call does her best to triangulate the source of the attack and tracks it to a Cherry Dynamics lab outside the city.
It is only a matter of time until the hacker pinpoints their location, meaning a direct assault may be inevitable.
Call does her best to fend off the hacking attempt...

Call: "Dr. White... I can't stop the attack from here. We need to neutralize the culprit directly."
Dr. White: "Beck, I need you to investigate this immediately!"
Beck: "Got it! I will head that way now!"

◆Design◆

The first time we showed RAY's design, it was not finalized with about half of it covered up on purpose.
From that point, our supporters and backers created a ton of amazing fan art, so we actually used some of those submissions as a reference point as we finalized the design.

tGDJc_CAD5MUV09YEGZGqUNwec22XCnjY9w5yxdP

The first thing we did was work on deciding the primary color for RAY.
Inafune requested that it be orange, but KIMOKIMO was never really able to come up with an orange design he was satisifed with.
In the end, they settled on a vermilion color base with some splashes of orange as well.

There were a lot of pieces of fanart that had flowing hair, so we also decided to show her hair a bit.
However, we decided to go with something a bit more unique and instead of having normal hair we gave her green cable like extensions that can be plugged into computer ports for hacking purposes.

For her stomach area, the team actually did want to leave the gaping part completely open but the design lines would be kind of messy and it would have been difficult to reproduce on the in-game model.
As a result we designed it like her face, where the insides are just visible from the outside.
Also, we added teeth-like marks to give that part a more monster like appearance.

EHDaCv004FTFWRnb0qgW1kGqeZtd_5oECpr2-ZaZ

During the time when we were still in pre-production for the RAY content, KIMOKIMO couldn't help himself and he went a little berserk with his various ideas.
We don't want to give away too many story details, but as you can see above there are times when RAY is covered in blue flames...

t1j-H8L3vp0Tx6T7x3eyzbhKnfUIa4rH1rjtBSxH

The above illustrations were some movement and skill ideas that we worked on 2 years ago when we revealed RAY's design.
We didn't release these at the time because we expected it would confuse users whether or not the character was playable or just a boss.
One point of her character is that her life is slowly draining away, so KIMOKIMO designed her movement and skills with a very reckless style, as if she were running out of time.
This style is not as 'wild' or 'out of control' as it may seem, so the nuance in the design was actually very difficult to produce.
We hope everyone is able to tell what KIMOKIMO was going for in the overall design!

4u6pRHNnjA0H2wQkFtc8oSt_eI95T9DeqzioLxcW

Here are some idea sketches that KIMOKIMO worked on once development started.
These are all ideas for the boss fight with RAY.
RAY is a unique character with a slightly occult style, so she actually does some crazy stuff that wouldn't usually fit the Mighty No. 9 world.

One such example is that giant beam she shoots form her mouth! 

"Rules don't apply" is a good overal theme for RAY

K5JYhMFwhm8YCNlhzXX5cvgw1tuUqOZ_ssB2LdXY

The above image is a 3D illustration used as a reference for creating the actual in-game model.

RAY is actually bothered by her own battered and corrupted appearance, to the point where she actually tries to hide her right arm.

◆RAY Stage Ideas◆

RAY's stage takes place in an area that is often times a staple in video games and other entertainment: the sewers!
One reason it is featured so much in various media is because even if it is in close proximity to our daily lives, it is often times ignored
and there is a feeling that anything could happen down there. It's a great setting for an encounter with RAY, who is a character shrouded in mystery.

Our team always loved that one arcade game with the four pizza-loving brothers, so we practically begged everyone on the team to let us create a stage in the sewers!
Here are some pieces of concept art that our artists came up with when designing the level.

Q_4WBMu-FkDRftX5tY6Uo9C4g0OctgJIV54rObmQ

Y4woNwcFRq0VBRToOCuP3yrsQFrQhJmrX2PRs50z

Toji5RDWjrt9sle1YyvOh1yNok1uCmJKi7jWoUm5

With all of this new info about RAY there is probably a lot to process! However, we have one last surprise!
Our art team worked hard to create our very own trailer to tease some more info about RAY, and to also convey the overall style our team was going with for the character.

What did you think? 
Playing through the game with RAY is going to be quite a different experience from playing with Beck, so we hope everyone gives her a shot!

Until next time Mighties! (`_´)ゞ
-The Mighty No. 9 Team

Topics

You get protoman out of that? I got Bass/Zero more than anything else.

• Thumbs Up 2

She reminds me a lot more of Zero, at least his original self from the X4 Flashback, especially since the first picture we got from her

Mighty Number 0.png

Reminded me a lot of the Omega reveal from MMZ3

Apocalypse_Now.jpg

1 minute ago, goku262002 said:

Its Nightmare Zero and Bass.EXE rolled into one with a dash of Omega Zero.

And has the same gameplay gimmick as Venom from ultimate spider-man.

1 minute ago, Dejimon11 said:

And has the same gameplay gimmick as Venom from ultimate spider-man.

Never played it, mind finding a video and showing us?

2 minutes ago, goku262002 said:

Never played it, mind finding a video and showing us?

In the game as time passes vemon loses his health but as he keeps eating people his health will be replenished. However as you progress through the game(well from my experience of the GBA version) you'll get upgrades that will allow part of health to stay intact until near the end of the game where you're health won't deplete at all