Awoo.

Sonic 4: DOA?

Chaos Incarnate

So, what are your thoughts on Sonic 4 continuing as of now? Do you consider it to be dead or alive? Episode 2's ending was one of the most anti climactic of any Sonic game I've ever seen, so I do think it deserves at least a proper ending. Problem is, Sonic 4 is one of the most(if not THE most) controversial Sonic games ever made, and a lot of people aren't exactly fond of it. Do you think there will ever be at least and Episode 3, or is Sonic 4 pretty much over?

Hasn't it been confirmed dead for months?

Wait, seriously? Could you post a link, I never heard anything about that.

It should continue.

You people cried for one for 16 years and by GOD you deserve whatever Sonic Team makes, good or bad.

Edited by Rusty Spy
  • Thumbs Up 6

I really don't think we'll be getting a Episode 3 anytime soon. I wouldn't mind seeing a third installment though, it would be cool to see Knuckles again. Plus it would be cool to play as Tails and Knux too, like Sonic 3K. But the way I see it, I don't think Sonic Team is going to bother making a new episode due to the response they got from both episodes.

• Thumbs Up 1

I really don't think we'll be getting a Episode 3 anytime soon. I wouldn't mind seeing a third installment though, it would be cool to see Knuckles again. Plus it would be cool to play as Tails and Knux too, like Sonic 3K. But the way I see it, I don't think Sonic Team is going to bother making a new episode due to the response they got from both episodes.

I'm going to sound like a nitpicker, but Sonic 4 was developed by Dimps, not Sonic Team smile.png

Edited by Chaos Incarnate

Let it stay dead. Try again with a whole new classic style Sonic if they insist, but continue the Sonic 4 line? Mmmm no, to fix all that's wrong with it would require to build a new game entirely, so just do that and go balls out with it.

• Thumbs Up 5

Didn't Episode 2 have a "TO BE CONTINUED" sign or something?

Nope, but Episode 1 did. Apparently you can find a to be continued sign in the games files, but it was cut out for unknown reasons.

Edited by Chaos Incarnate

There's also a soundfile that was never used in Episode 2 that was really weird. It was a cutscene soundfile, as if something was shooting something and then teleported.

We never learned of that thing did we?

Is it bad that I only want an Episode 3 because I think 2 is a weird number to end it on?

why not end at episode 4?

episode 3= classic sonic heroes HD

It did take a while for Episode 2 to come, and some people even thought that Generations took its place and that Sonic 4 was cancelled. Well, we were wrong about that, and in a few months after Generations' release, we got something most thought was miles better than Episode 1. I enjoyed Episode 2, and I can't wait to see how an Episode 3 would turn out.

People tend to dislike Sonic 4. But here is the thing, its a game made for the iTunes app store. It only costs a couple bucks to purchase, which does not give the creators a lot of money to make it. Fans need to keep in mind that parts of it are not going to be up to par with the other games because of this. Theres a reason why sonic charges so much for his console games folks, in order to make them high quality. I think that despite this Dimps did a good job making these games. Granted they are not my favorite Sonic games, but they are not my least favorite either. They should keep making Sonic apps because its nice to have the blue blur on the go.

So, what are your thoughts on Sonic 4 continuing as of now? Do you consider it to be dead or alive? Episode 2's ending was one of the most anti climactic of any Sonic game I've ever seen, so I do think it deserves at least a proper ending. Problem is, Sonic 4 is one of the most(if not THE most) controversial Sonic games ever made, and a lot of people aren't exactly fond of it. Do you think there will ever be at least and Episode 3, or is Sonic 4 pretty much over?

Don't forget Episode II had an ending - something to do with the chaos emeralds - which was removed from the final product before it was was released (as confirmed by Ken Balough).

The only thing I would expect is playable:

f4_sonic_knuckles.jpg

Lets be honest, a new 2d game is the only chance of getting playable characters other than Sonic these days, as it doesn't look like we will get other playable characters with the new 3d games any time soon.

But yeah I would love another episode of Sonic 4, with physics closer to the Genesis games and at least seven zones. Although I doubt we will see an Episode III.

Edited by -Bender- Wolverine

It should continue.

You people cried for one for 16 years and by GOD you deserve whatever Sonic Team makes, good or bad.

1k8c.png

Didn't Episode 2 have a "TO BE CONTINUED" sign or something?

It had a TBC screen that went unused, along with an audio file that sounds like an Emerald ('06 sound), machinery starting up and lasers firing.

Make of it what you will.

Edited by Blue Blood
  • Thumbs Up 2

Despite being one of the most negative critics of this saga, I for one would like to see an Episode III.

Come on think about it.

Even when all hopes are down, when we don't expect anything good and it genuinely doesn't deliver anything good, I'd still like to see an Epi. 3. For great lulz. It's like an excitement all of its own; what new thing are they going to mess up in a way we couldn't even think of? I am totally interested in finding that out. And the lulz.

People tend to dislike Sonic 4. But here is the thing, its a game made for the iTunes app store.

And there's the problem. The fuck is a app store game doing with a title like Sonic 4?

That's not to say it couldn't had been pulled off, but with a title like "Sonic 4" and what it implies and promises, you're setting a rather high bar of quality to be met for what's otherwise an cheaply-made, mediocre arcade platformer. "The sequel you've been waiting 16 years for" "Sonic 4 as you've truly imagined it" "unrivaled classic feel" spiel the PR was boldly claiming the game to be just enforces this.

Edited by Yeow
  • Thumbs Up 1

People tend to dislike Sonic 4. But here is the thing, its a game made for the iTunes app store. It only costs a couple bucks to purchase, which does not give the creators a lot of money to make it. Fans need to keep in mind that parts of it are not going to be up to par with the other games because of this. Theres a reason why sonic charges so much for his console games folks, in order to make them high quality. I think that despite this Dimps did a good job making these games. Granted they are not my favorite Sonic games, but they are not my least favorite either. They should keep making Sonic apps because its nice to have the blue blur on the go.

Sonic 4 was also a console title, and considering the legacy it was trying to revive it should only ever have been given top billing by SEGA. Furthermore, lots of the games problems exceed far beyond the confines a limited budget; they're the exact same flaws present in the all the other Sonic games that Dimps have produced since the GBA era. Most of it's down to laziness and a complete misunderstanding of the Sonic formula. Even after a several month delay of S4E1, all that got fixed were two abysmal levels designed purely for mobile devices and the rest of the games issues were left untouched. And somehow they managed to botch up 360 version, which ended up looking worse after the delay.

S4 was a cheap, quick cash cow. Back in 2010 SEGA were trying pawn off the older fans with the 'amazing' Sonic 4 while claiming that Colours was actually just meant for kids. Here's Mike Hayes saying it:

We've got to make games that appeal to the 7-to-12-year-old which is exactly what Colours will do, and then we need to appeal to the core gamer, which is what Sonic 4 is doing.

And then here's Takashi Iizuka saying the exact same thing:

I think that there are two types of Sonic players. One is the people who have played since the MegaDrive, who are mainly fans of 2D Sonic games and didn't really play the 3D Sonic games so much. For those gamers Sonic Team will be giving them Sonic 4 so they can pick the Sonic game they want to play.

The other is the ones who have played 3D Sonic games and felt that the game was too difficult. Sonic Colors is the game for those types of players. It's still a 3D Sonic game but the controls are more user-friendly; it's an easy to pick up and play type of game. So through the two Sonic games I feel the needs of both of the two core groups of Sonic fans are being addressed.

Basically that blew up in their faces when S4E1 was panned by a sizeable vocal group of these so-called core gamers while Colours got praise from all audiences. It was then solidified when S4E2 failed to reach the success of it's predecessor.

And I have to add that on top of all of that, there's absolutely no reason that mobile games have to be of such low quality. Even in 2010 they could have been a lot better than S4 was.

Edited by Blue Blood
  • Thumbs Up 8

SEGA is now Nintendo's b**** so no. S4 is dead.

"We are pleased to announce Sonic 4 Episode 3 as the third Nintendo-exclusive Sonic game."