Awoo.

Sonic 4: DOA?

Chaos Incarnate

It was then solidified when S4E2 failed to reach the success of it's predecessor.

Have we actually got proof that Episode 1 has sold more copies than Episode 2? Obviously Ep1 has been out longer, and was also released on WiiWare when Ep2 wasn't. I think Ep2 has solded pretty well.

Edited by -Bender- Wolverine

Is it bad that I only want an [            ] 3 because I think 2 is a weird number to end it on?

Insert Sonic Adventure/Half-Life/whatever. Edited by crystallize

Have we actually got proof that Episode 1 has sold more copies than Episode 2? Obviously Ep1 has been out longer, and was also released on WiiWare when Ep2 wasn't. I think Ep2 has solded pretty well.

I don't know about actual sales figures, but reception at least for E2 was not as positive even from professional critics who praised E1 to death. Just on my own assumptions I'd say that E2 sold well, but not as well as E1. In those two years between the games the indie scene for 2D platformers kinda boomed and all those games put both S4 episodes to shame.

Edited by Blue Blood

how bout have sonic team work on sonic 4? If I'm correct sonic team is split in two, they can afford to have one of the teams make a decent Episode 3.

Sonic 4 deserves to die in my opinion. Neither episode did anything right besides Lost Labyrinth 1's music and White Park 1's music. The physics, the level design, the gimmicks, the tropes, the huge overhaul of artstyle and such in Episode 2 making it hard to believe the two are one; the game just deserves to die. I'm sick of Sonic 4. Start off a new game and go all out with that instead.

• Thumbs Up 1

how bout have sonic team work on sonic 4? If I'm correct sonic team is split in two, they can afford to have one of the teams make a decent Episode 3.

The team is split whichever way best suits their upcoming projects. I don't think it's ever the same one way or another (or if anyone's ever compared the credits between games). Heck, we won't know about Lost World until that game is out either. It's probably going gold pretty soon though, considering it's out next month.

I've said before, we would never have gotten Taxman's Sonic CD and Sonic 1 (and the - hopefully soon - to be announced Sonic 2) if it wasn't for Sonic 4. Both Episodes have helped SEGA's push on mobile platforms and digital releases. They have used both episodes to support the new Ouya system etc. They have truely milked the shit out of the Sonic 4 brand.

So unless there is a new piece of tech that SEGA want to showcase or support, there really is no point in another episode of Sonic 4 being made. How ironic that Sonic Lost World is looking like a far better-more platformer based game than Sonic 4 could ever hoped to have been.

Edited by -Bender- Wolverine

I kinda think either an Episode III or a Sonic 5 would be kinda needed at this point, simply for plot purposes. When Sonic & Tails escape the Death Egg Mk. II at the end of episode II, we see that Little Planet is still trapped in the Death Egg... Which means Sonic failed... Which means he's gotta try again. This is WITH all Chaos Emeralds collected, mind you. No secret ending means that Little Planet, due to the way the Sonic timeline has it so that Sonic Adventure is right after Sonic 4 (at least at this point in time with no sequel being released), Little Planet is still under Eggman's control today.

Plus, I want a 2D playable Knuckles again. That would be pretty tight.

Plus, I want a 2D playable Knuckles again. That would be pretty tight.

Mark my words, if Sega greenlights Episode III with a "playable" Knuckles, he will not be playable as you truly imagined it.

Many people, were sure Tails would nonetheless be playable by himself (despite having some doubts on how the level design -which was HA-tailored in the first episode- would work for Tails since he lacked the Homing Attack), but look where safe assumptions got us.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQtxq6HmNYY

Edited by Yeow

Might as well remake the game entirely. And get it right this time, if only so the name 'Sonic 4' can still have some grace.

Being honest here, I'm one of the few people from here who'd like to see an Episode 3.

I would like to see an ep.3 I loved ep.2 with the passion, f*ck episode 1 though.

I'd like to see an Episode 3.

Wow, Palas. But you, of all people? Yes, me, of all people. Not because I'd like to play it, much less because I liked the previous 2 episodes. It's just that I prefer a project to be finished, even if it's bad. The way it is now, it can't get much worse and it has the additional bad aftertaste of being a project of dubious future. If they finish it, they might at least not leave questions unanswered, which are the dread of gaming franchises.

Reception tends to be less harsh with closed packages, over time. "If" questions are a part of what makes time consume a game.

Edited by Palas

As weird as it sounds, if they have the perfect physics and level design and flow, I'd rather it be a separate project from Sonic 4 altogether. Sonic 5, Sonic Genesis, whatever, it'd just be so different from the S4 saga that it would stick out like a sore thumb. 

Which isn't to say that I'd want Episode 3 to suck, either. I'd just rather there not be an Episode 3. I'm sure I'd enjoy it if it had the same kind of physics as Episode 2 all the same, but a new project would be much better.

Man. Project Needlemouse was so promising.

*sigh*

I personally loved both Sonic 4 episodes. It was great revisiting certain locale choices and seeing re-used bosses. The effort put into Episode 2 was much better and in-turn I loved it even more than episode 1. I get the same joy out of the series as I did with each Sonic Advance game and just like the Advance series, I want to see a third entry.

Plus - I'm not a physics fag

I liked 1 well enough and 2 was better.  I'd also like an episode 3 just for closure, 2 really did leave us hanging in various ways and I don't like it.

I'd be fine if episode 3 overhauls the engine again too like they did from 1 to 2, as long as it still has that same sort of "feel" to it visually so it doesn't seem totally disconnected etc.

• 1 month later...

I want a third episode so we can get an actual ending to the Sonic 4 games, Episode 2's ending was full oh shit. 

But aside from that, I liked Episode 1 and... I don't know. Episode 2 had a much better physics-engine, but the music, level design and special stages were... meeehhhhhh...

Edited by SonicDude

It should continue.

You people cried for one for 16 years and by GOD you deserve whatever Sonic Team makes, good or bad.

It was made by DIMPS, and that's why people hate it.

• 2 weeks later...

I personally really enjoyed Episode 1 when I first played it. However, now... ehh. Episode 2 was an improvement, yes and I did have fun but I just didn't replay it all that much. Once I got all the red rings and chaos emeralds I just sorta stopped playing altogether. I do want an Episode 3 though because of Episode 2's incomplete ending. Not to mention the fact that someone found a "to be continued" in the game files. I would think that if they were to release an Episode 3 it'd be around 2014, considering Episode 1 came out 2010, and Episode 2 in 2012. And I think by then the Nintendo exclusivity deal would have ended. However I can see why they wouldn't make an Episode 3 and decide to focus on making more polished titles.

Edited by lefteri001