Awoo.

Should Mario/Sonic@Sochi be boycotted?

Big Panda

'cos that's partially how I feel. I'm not very happy that the Winter Olympics are being held in Russia for obvious reasons.

I'd much rather the games where moved to another country, and I have no intention of tuning into the games (though I still hope that plenty of LGBT athletes take home the gold), and, of course, it's for the same reason that I've decided against getting the game. At least not on release day. I may consider buying preowned, since that way I won't be getting my money.

But all the same, the fact that Sega and Nintendo are turning a blind eye to the evil injustices (and resaulting violence) that are befalling LGBT individuals in the country is most discouraging.

What do you think? Are Sega wrong for continuing to support the games?

Edited by TheFatPanda

Dude, its the country's choice, and this is just a game that is about fun characters participating in events that happen to be there, so I see no reason to boycott it for that reason. If you dont like Russia's choices, thats your choice, but they are still a country, and they can make their decissions if they want to, just be glad this isnt a hundred or so years ago where you would be beheaded in Russia if you were LGBT

So no, I dont think you boycott a fun virtual game for decisions made in the real world

*sigh*

I see how this is a very sensitive and arguable topic... I'm gonna go ahead and say, no, I would not boycott M&S because of Russia's view towards homosexuality. It's entirely unrelated to the country itself; and to be honest, I don't have that much interest in buying the game so far anyway, but I wouldn't boycott it for this.

If this is legitimately an issue you have (and I can kind of understand your point), I'd say go ahead and buy it pre-owned if you wish. No money goes towards the company in that method; it goes to the shop of which you buy it from.

Uh...refresher...what's LGBT? Being Russia, I assume it is related to homosexuality.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGBT

Edited by Super Spindash

Dude, its the country's choice, and this is just a game that is about fun characters participating in events that happen to be there, so I see no reason to boycott it for that reason. If you dont like Russia's choices, thats your choice, but they are still a country, and they can make their decissions if they want to, just be glad this isnt a hundred or so years ago where you would be beheaded in Russia if you were LGBT

So no, I dont think you boycott a fun virtual game for decisions made in the real world

As a proponent of LGBT rights, I'd have to agree with this.  It's just a game, the profits of which do not affect the LGBT community or Russia's stance on the matter in the slightest.  Yes, I agree that I think Russia's stance on the matter is evil, and I wholeheartedly wish something would cause them to change their mind, but boycotting a game for that reason isn't going to do that.

Uh...refresher...what's LGBT? Being Russia, I assume it is related to homosexuality.

Lesbian/Gay/Bisexual/Transgender.

But all the same, the fact that Sega and Nintendo are turning a blind eye to the evil injustices (and resaulting violence) that are befalling LGBT individuals in the country is most discouraging.

Just because the Winter Olympics are being held in Russia and SEGA and Nintendo are making a game based on that event doesn't mean that they're actively supporting or turning a blind eye to what's going on over there. They're just making a game that celebrates Mario, Sonic, and the Olympic Games. They aren't making a statement against the LGBT community.

I think it's rather silly to boycott the game for that reason, honestly. The only thing you're really doing is denying SEGA and Nintendo your money. Edited by Red Cap-Blue Spikes

on the Flipside, if the last couple Mario & Sonic games are an indication, this one's gonna have Birdo as a Boss in it, I'm sure that should send a statement.

• Thumbs Up 4

This is a very bad view to hold. No, it's not the country's choice to write human rights violation into law, that's fucking wrong and it's not okay to sit back and say "If you don't like it, well it could be worse! Let them make their own decisions!" The international community should not allow this.

BUT that is a whole other discussion. 

I do believe that the games should be moved because Russia's actions go entirely against the principles of the Olympics, but whether or not they are, boycotting the game is a bit nonsensical. Russia is making no profit, the game in no way has any ties to its politics, not buying the game sends no message but that it's no longer profitable to SEGA and Nintendo.

• Thumbs Up 5

What do you think? Are Sega wrong for continuing to support the games?

No. They're not the ones bringing-up and trying to authorize the homophobic legislation. So why should they be held culpable for it? It's not SEGA's and Nintendo's absolute sworn duty to stand against every freaking social injustice they see no matter how much others want to label them as "willingly turning a blind eye to this evil", something that can be misguidingly applied to every human who hasn't got the time or the means to express their disapproval.

Boycotting the game doesn't accomplish anything. To think otherwise is a delusion or the product of being misinformed and gives you a misplaced sense of self-worth because you're doing absolutely nothing of impact.

• Thumbs Up 2

As a homosexual, I don't see what exactly this would accomplish. Boycotting a video game isn't really going to send that big of a political message, especially with (I'm speculating here, but) a very small amount of their player base. It won't really do much to convince Russia to change their mind, either, since Nintendo/Sega just make the game around whichever location the Olympics happen to be held. They probably don't even owe royalties to Russia for its production.

• Thumbs Up 1

Boycotting this game isn't going to hurt Russia in the slightest. Only Nintendo/SEGA and their fans.

Besides, I'm not going to wake up in a cold sweat at night when I buy this game because of what's going on in Russia.

I don't know why anyone buys the MaSatOG games in the first place.

Don't buy it because it's a boring minigame collection, not because you think you're making a statement about Russia's anti-LGBT laws.

• Thumbs Up 6

The passing of the law has brought about a rise in homophobic-based crime, and the forming of sick organisations like this. Beheading is a welcome relief compared to that. Edited by TheFatPanda

No, and I will tell you why. This has nothing to do with direct profits for the Russian government, and it will not help the Russian government's draconian laws in any way. Boycotting it will not hinder the Russian government or send a statement, it will however hurt the paychecks of the teams at Sega and Nintendo who worked on the game. Birdo, Yoshi and Waluigi are obviously in the game, and they aren't being harassed by the KGB.

Also if you want to get even, you can have same-sex skating partners in the game. Why? Because Mario doesn't take kindly to discrimination against people.

• Thumbs Up 1

If people want to accomplish anything over this matter, let the Sochi Olympics happen, and have international visitors and athletes go full on LGBTQIA awareness/support on their asses. That's how Russia will actually be affected if any. Withdrawing isn't gonna help as matters would only get worse otherwise.

...so what does this have to do with Plumbers and Hedgehogs at the Olympic Games the video game for the Olympic Games and not really Russia?

I never said it did. That was in response to the "if you don't like Russia's laws, that's your choice, sit back and deal with it" statement. How can Anyone just sit back and take it when stuff like that is being allowed to happen?

I never said it did. That was in response to the "if you don't like Russia's laws, that's your choice, sit back and deal with it" statement. How can Anyone just sit back and take it when stuff like that is being allowed to happen?

Maybe because this has nothing to do with a video game/video game companies.

Nobody wants to sit back to let things like this happen. It's the reason why a lot of people abandoned Chick-Fil-A after they found out where most of their profits went towards.

I can guarantee you that many of the athletes and others who will participate will protest the laws during the Olympic Games.

I don't think anyone was saying such a thing as much as we are all saying that boycotting a video game isn't going to do shite to bring about sociopolitical change.  To me, it's just as ludicrous as boycotting a sandwich shop because they don't support gay marriage.  It's just a sandwich shop, and this is just a game.  Rather you buy it or not isn't going to affect anyone in the short or long term.

Nobody wants to sit back to let things like this happen. It's the reason why a lot of people abandoned Chick-Fil-A after they found out where most of their profits went towards.

I'm ignorant so feel free to tell me what exactly their profits do go towards.

Edited by Akito

Mandobardanjusik's post may have been mostly wrong fundamentally, but there have been like 10 other people that have responded to this thread with a different viewpoint. They state not to do nothing about the injustice in Russia, but that your proposed boycott of the Mario and Sonic video game won't accomplish anything, and have explained why in several different ways.

I never said it did.

Erm...

the fact that Sega and Nintendo are turning a blind eye to the evil injustices (and resaulting violence) that are befalling LGBT individuals in the country is most discouraging.

Are Sega wrong for continuing to support the games?

The fact that.... The fact, turning a blind eye to evil injustices...

Now would you care to answer my questions? Mainly how? How exactly does Sega/Nintendos game turn a blind eye or support the policies or anything else you're claiming?

Only I can't understand just why you're contenplating boycotting the game for political reasons when the two things are not related at all, yet, you think they are so... whats the reasoning?

I don't think anyone was saying such a thing as much as we are all saying that boycotting a video game isn't going to do shite to bring about sociopolitical change.  To me, it's just as ludicrous as boycotting a sandwich shop because they don't support gay marriage.  It's just a sandwich shop, and this is just a game.  Rather you buy it or not isn't going to affect anyone in the short or long term.

I'm ignorant so feel free to tell me where exactly their profits do go towards.

I did a research paper on this. Aside from other minor anti-gay organizations, some of the money went towards the infamous "Kill the Gays" bill in Uganda ( this was from FRC donated money that trickled down to organizations that supported the ideal.)

http://thenewcivilrightsmovement.com/chick-fil-a-has-spent-5-million-trying-to-stop-gay-marriage/discrimination/2012/07/02/42684

http://www.policymic.com/articles/12219/all-the-anti-gay-companies-you-fund-when-you-spend-5-25-on-a-chick-fil-a-sandwich

http://www.snopes.com/politics/sexuality/chickfila.asp  (The FRC has backtracked on the Ugandan bill a couple of times.)

http://www.hrc.org/nomexposed/section/anti-gay-animus (trigger warning for the last one. Hate speech.)

But the idea of boycotting this game is nothing towards Chick-Fil-A. Boycotting the game is stupid, because the money from the game has nothing towards the animus of human rights or go towards hate groups.

• Thumbs Up 1

I feel like you just completely ignored everything beyond "That's not what I said". I wasn't saying Sega had anything to do with it, it was a response to a comment which in turn was also unrelated to the topic.

And I'm under the impression that the Russian government get a percentage of the profits from the Olympics and anything that promotes it, in this case Sega/Nintendo, who have the Olympics liscenced for use in their game, meaning a portion of royalties goes to the Olympic committee, and by extension to the government of the host country. I.e. I feel like I'm giving my money to the people who allow this to happen, people who don't deserve said money through any means for that reason. "Oh hey, your making the lives of people like me go through a living hell but hey have some money".

If I'm incorrect, then okay, I admit my defeat.

Edited by TheFatPanda