Awoo.

Should Mario/Sonic@Sochi be boycotted?

Big Panda

And I'm under the impression that the Russian government get a percentage of the profits from the Olympics and anything that promotes it, in this case Sega/Nintendo, who have the Olympics liscenced for use in their game, meaning a portion of royalties goes to the Olympic committee, and by extension to the host country. If I'm incorrect, then okay, I admit my defeat.

Even if that is the case, do you realize how small a portion that the Russian government would be getting from the game's sales? I'm willing to bet that it's a dollar at most.

And, again, it's not like Nintendo and SEGA are actively supporting Russia's anti-gay laws. They're just trying to make a fun video game.

As mentioned above, I dont see how boycotting would do russia any harm. it would just hurt sega and nintendo instead. If anything, the olympic committe is likely get maybe a small cut if its an official licenced game to them, but russia themselves getting a bit cut is not something I see. The olympic committees and such really I dont think have anything to do with any specific country at all, they just pick where they are going to hold the events. Boycotting the game is only going to hurt the game companies we love, sega and nintendo and not have any effect on russia at all.

The olympics themselves may have an effect on russia when people go there, but as for a game having any effect, yeah I don't see it.

No, if boycotting it would hurt Sega and Nintendo, the latter probably more since they are the ones who are publishing the game this time around (excluding the US) including Russia where if it was like the London Olympics will be where most of the sales will be. Sadly I don't know how many Russians have a 3DS or a Wii U though since they generally play on PCs or even Mega Drives but some do have consoles though. If the game gets less sales, not only the series will be cancelled but any future crossover ideas that Sega/Nintendo has in their mind will be put on hold. People didn't boycott the original game because it was set in China and their laws, if it is like the past games people will buy it because it has Mario, Sonic and their friends skiing, snowboarding and other Winter Olympic sports.

After all it is a game and the developers (Sega Sports Japan) have no political knowledge on what goes off in Russia apart from probably going to the stadiums, taking a few photos and getting licensing rights for anything Russia related. The only involvement the Russian Government will get in this game will be for the history of Sochi and making sure that the information is correct and doesn't offend people (strangely enough some Russians boycotted Company of Heroes 2 that was published by Sega due to dubious events). If there were profits, it would most likely go to the IOC who licenses/controls the whole Olympics and if Russia did get any profits that we don't know unless you are an official involved on the Olympics there, then it would be only a small amount to cover some costs.

Besides I haven't heard of any news regarding this after the Nintendo Direct that introduced the game. No release date, no new screenshots.

Really, boycotting the game really isn't the best idea, personally. I mean sure, I can level with you on being upset and outraged over the shit Russians are doing to the LGBT folk over in their area, but boycotting the game is probably not the best of ideas, especially if your motive is primarily to harm Russia. Really, the most it would do is make Sega & Nintendo a bit more hesitant in continuing the series, if its profitability seems to go down the drain after this game, I don't think it'd really do anything to get Russia to cut their crap in the long run, so I don't entirely see the point

Maybe deep down its just a moral thing. Like I said I feel like I'm literally giving them my money.

Ya know what, request for thread closure. If mods do that kind of stuff (listen to lock requests I mean)

Edited by TheFatPanda

I did a research paper on this. Aside from other minor anti-gay organizations, some of the money went towards the infamous "Kill the Gays" bill in Uganda ( this was from FRC donated money that trickled down to organizations that supported the ideal.)

http://thenewcivilrightsmovement.com/chick-fil-a-has-spent-5-million-trying-to-stop-gay-marriage/discrimination/2012/07/02/42684

http://www.policymic.com/articles/12219/all-the-anti-gay-companies-you-fund-when-you-spend-5-25-on-a-chick-fil-a-sandwich

http://www.snopes.com/politics/sexuality/chickfila.asp  (The FRC has backtracked on the Ugandan bill a couple of times.)

http://www.hrc.org/nomexposed/section/anti-gay-animus (trigger warning for the last one. Hate speech.)

But the idea of boycotting this game is nothing towards Chick-Fil-A. Boycotting the game is stupid, because the money from the game has nothing towards the animus of human rights or go towards hate groups.

Ah, I was not aware of that.  Fuck Chick-Fil-A, then.  I apologize for my ignorance in my last post.

No. Besides boycotting this game isn't gonna do a thing to Russia in the slightest, not to mention Sega and Nintendo have nothing to do with what they are doing, so what's the point?